|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Gandhi meditate?
(a) Every evening at eight or nine.
(b) Every morning at three or four.
(c) Every afternoon at three or four.
(d) Every morning at six or seven.
2. One who loves the Lord of Love is able to learn from what?
(a) One's mistakes.
(b) The love of others.
(c) Other's mistakes.
(d) The Lord of Love.
3. At Sevagram, people were so drawn to him, that what happened?
(a) People argued over who got to sit by him.
(b) There sprouted up a bustling community.
(c) Gandhi feared for his life.
(d) Gandhi had to leave, due to the large crowds.
4. When one meditates, one drives what deep into the consciousness?
(c) The highest ideals.
5. Describe Gandhi's evening walks.
(a) They were a time for him to be with his wife and children.
(b) They were quiet.
(c) They were slow and peaceful.
(d) They were a parade of adoring community members.
6. Sri Krishna says that the wise person's love for the Lord of Love does what?
(a) Gives him love to share with others.
(b) Has consumed all of his selfishness and preoccupation with pleasing his own senses.
(c) Takes away his need to love.
(d) Shows him how to love himself and others.
7. What types of people did Gandhi love?
(c) Every variety.
(d) The religious.
8. Easwaran explains that Gandhi was quoting what from Hindu scripture?
(a) The Isha Upanishad.
(b) The Tevaram Saivite hymns.
(c) The Puranas.
(d) The Vedanta.
9. Easwaran explains that these verses describe what?
(a) The love one must feel for others.
(b) The highest state of consciousness a human can attain.
(c) How one should live.
(d) The peace that can be brought to one's mind.
10. Kasturbai kept her faith in her husband's character even when what happened?
(a) He was gone from her.
(b) He did not deserve it.
(c) He did not display it.
(d) She did not believe in it.
11. Kasturbai maintained a standard Gandhi could live up to and never doing what?
(a) Telling him when he acted unfairly.
(b) Retaliating when he behaved unfairly.
(c) Leaving his side.
(d) Believing he acted unfairly.
12. Why did Gandhi experiment with variations on vegetarian dishes?
(a) To make them nutritious in spite of taste.
(b) To make them appealing to all.
(c) To make them for filling.
(d) To make them readily available to others.
13. What is the key to transformation of character and consciousness?
(b) A desire to transform.
(d) Openness of mind.
14. When he was speaking against the violence between the Hindu and Muslims living in India, a young man came out of the crowd and greeted him with his hands at his heart before he did what?
(a) Stabbed Gandhi in the chest.
(b) Hugged Gandhi.
(c) Poisoned Gandhi.
(d) Shot Gandhi in the chest.
15. When Gandhi was asked to explain in three words the secret of his life, what did he say?
(a) Give to God.
(b) Peace, love, happiness.
(c) Love all others.
(d) Renounce and enjoy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fact that most of Gandhi's ashram were women led Gandhi to say in response to their gentle strength that if non-violence is the future of humanity, then the future is what?
2. On what does one who loves the Lord of Love focus?
3. How does Easwaran close this chapter?
4. People came burdened and overwhelmed with their troubles, and left how?
5. What did Gandhi tell the man who killed him?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)