|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gandhi's process of learning to eliminate his fear started when?
(a) He was first married.
(b) He studied law in England.
(c) He was a child and was afraid of the dark.
(d) He moved to South Africa.
2. What keeps a mind steady in every circumstance?
(a) A mantra.
(c) Enough sleep.
3. ________________ with problems of policy were welcomed to come and ask Gandhi for his advice.
(a) Political leaders.
(d) Religious leaders.
4. Gandhi used what Rambha taught him his whole life, repeating it rhythmically when?
(a) As he breathed and walked.
(b) He first wakes in the morning.
(c) Before he falls asleep at night.
(d) Speaking to others.
5. When one meditates, one drives what deep into the consciousness?
(b) The highest ideals.
6. A united mind is trained wholly to what?
(a) The needs of others.
(b) The same cause.
(c) The needs of the individual.
(d) The desires of the Lord.
7. Describe Gandhi's evening walks.
(a) They were slow and peaceful.
(b) They were quiet.
(c) They were a time for him to be with his wife and children.
(d) They were a parade of adoring community members.
8. He was so intimately involved and concerned with the intimate details of the worlds of the people who surrounded him that what happened?
(a) Not a single detail escaped his notice.
(b) He became overwhelmed.
(c) He could not help everyone.
(d) He was unable to keep track of the details.
9. His ashram family, however, the ones who came to be called his _____________________ were the ones who knew best the man Gandhi was in his daily life.
(a) Ashram crew.
(b) Ashram herd.
(c) Ashram life.
(d) Ashram menagerie.
10. What did Gandhi tell the man who killed him?
(a) I forgive you, I love you, I bless you.
(b) You'll be sorry.
(c) I'm sorry.
(d) Get some help.
11. What was one of Gandhi's most treasured meditations?
(a) The first verse of the First Chapter of the Gita.
(b) The last eighteen verses of the Second Chapter of the Gita.
(c) The middle verses of the Third Chapter of the Gita.
(d) The last ten verses of the the Second Chapter of the Gita.
12. Even ______________ was Gandhi embodying the spirit of compassion and forgiveness for which he had come to be known.
(a) On the last day of Gandhi's life.
(b) When he was a small child.
(c) When others threatened him.
(d) When he was alone.
13. Gandhi's nurse, Rambha, taught him that the way to eliminate fear was to do what?
(a) Ask God to take the fear.
(b) Replace it in one's mind with a mantra of joy.
(c) Ignore it.
14. What did Gandhi say as he died?
(a) His mantra, "rama, rama, rama."
(b) Good bye.
(c) I love all human kind.
(d) He knows not what he does.
15. What does Patanjali say?
(a) Gandhi is an instrument of the gods.
(b) Gandhi has changed greatly since his youth.
(c) In a person who loves unconditionally, there is no conflict.
(d) In a person who has defeated all fear, there is now nothing of which otehr people can ever be afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gandhi experiment with variations on vegetarian dishes?
2. How does Easwaran close this chapter?
3. His body was so light and strong that what happened?
4. With whom did Gandhi take all of his solitude?
5. Kasturbai kept her faith in her husband's character even when what happened?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)