|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The final chapter Eknath Easwaran writes is focused on the daily habits and the things that defined the personality of Gandhi as what?
(a) Needing his private life.
(b) Not trusting those who need a private life.
(c) An individual in his private life.
(d) An individual in his public life.
2. The fact that most of Gandhi's ashram were women led Gandhi to say in response to their gentle strength that if non-violence is the future of humanity, then the future is what?
(a) For woman.
(b) With all men.
(c) With woman.
(d) Going to be good.
3. When followers stopped asking questions, Gandhi would focus on what?
(a) Making children laugh.
(b) His own thoughts.
(c) His future plans.
(d) Raising questions.
4. Kasturbai maintained a standard Gandhi could live up to and never doing what?
(a) Telling him when he acted unfairly.
(b) Leaving his side.
(c) Believing he acted unfairly.
(d) Retaliating when he behaved unfairly.
5. Even ______________ was Gandhi embodying the spirit of compassion and forgiveness for which he had come to be known.
(a) When others threatened him.
(b) When he was alone.
(c) When he was a small child.
(d) On the last day of Gandhi's life.
6. During the walks with Gandhi, people would do what?
(a) Pray for him.
(b) Follow him silently.
(c) Ask him for advice.
(d) Give him advice.
7. Easwaran explains that these verses describe what?
(a) How one should live.
(b) The peace that can be brought to one's mind.
(c) The highest state of consciousness a human can attain.
(d) The love one must feel for others.
8. Why did Gandhi experiment with variations on vegetarian dishes?
(a) To make them readily available to others.
(b) To make them nutritious in spite of taste.
(c) To make them for filling.
(d) To make them appealing to all.
9. Gandhi's nurse, Rambha, taught him that the way to eliminate fear was to do what?
(a) Replace it in one's mind with a mantra of joy.
(c) Ask God to take the fear.
(d) Ignore it.
10. What does Rambha give Gandhi to say?
(a) Rama, rama, rama.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) Stay away, Fear.
(d) I am not afraid.
11. His ashram family, however, the ones who came to be called his _____________________ were the ones who knew best the man Gandhi was in his daily life.
(a) Ashram crew.
(b) Ashram herd.
(c) Ashram menagerie.
(d) Ashram life.
12. One who loves the Lord of Love is able to learn from what?
(a) The love of others.
(b) One's mistakes.
(c) Other's mistakes.
(d) The Lord of Love.
13. What was one of Gandhi's most treasured meditations?
(a) The first verse of the First Chapter of the Gita.
(b) The middle verses of the Third Chapter of the Gita.
(c) The last eighteen verses of the Second Chapter of the Gita.
(d) The last ten verses of the the Second Chapter of the Gita.
14. His body was so light and strong that what happened?
(a) Gandhi walked for great distances.
(b) Gandhi lost many of his followers.
(c) Gandhi annoyed many who wanted to talk to him.
(d) Gandhi walked at a fast pace.
15. Gandhi's focus was on letting the wisdom, love, joy and peace he studied make up what?
(a) Most of his life.
(b) His public life.
(c) His private life.
(d) The very essence of his being.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gandhi was asked to explain in three words the secret of his life, what did he say?
2. People came burdened and overwhelmed with their troubles, and left how?
3. That detachment was what allowed Gandhi to move with what?
4. The elephant holding a piece of bamboo was enough to quiet their trunks the same way what is enough to still the busy-ness of a wandering and restless mind?
5. Easwaran opens the chapter entitled Mother and Child by asking the question of how such a personal evolution could have come about, and how the evolution of a single person could effect what?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)