|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ________________ with problems of policy were welcomed to come and ask Gandhi for his advice.
(b) Political leaders.
(c) Religious leaders.
2. Gandhi's process of learning to eliminate his fear started when?
(a) He was first married.
(b) He was a child and was afraid of the dark.
(c) He studied law in England.
(d) He moved to South Africa.
3. The elephant holding a piece of bamboo was enough to quiet their trunks the same way what is enough to still the busy-ness of a wandering and restless mind?
(b) A mantra.
4. When one meditates, one drives what deep into the consciousness?
(d) The highest ideals.
5. The answer to number 84 creates the mask that people call their personalities and hides what?
(a) Their faith in a higher being.
(b) Their true personalities.
(c) Their fearlessness, unconditional love and abiding joy.
(d) Their compassion for others.
6. In addition to detachment, what was a guiding principle from the Gita to which Gandhi aspired?
(a) A calm mind.
(b) Love for others.
(c) Undivided singleness of mind.
(d) Love for the God of Love.
7. What endeavor is the source of Gandhi's joy and strength?
(a) Meditating on his mantra.
(b) Translating the truths of the Bhagavad Gita into his daily life.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Caring for his family.
8. When Gandhi was asked to explain in three words the secret of his life, what did he say?
(a) Give to God.
(b) Love all others.
(c) Peace, love, happiness.
(d) Renounce and enjoy.
9. What is the key to transformation of character and consciousness?
(b) A desire to transform.
(c) Openness of mind.
10. What does Rambha give Gandhi to say?
(a) I am not afraid.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) Stay away, Fear.
(d) Rama, rama, rama.
11. Kasturbai maintained a standard Gandhi could live up to and never doing what?
(a) Believing he acted unfairly.
(b) Leaving his side.
(c) Telling him when he acted unfairly.
(d) Retaliating when he behaved unfairly.
12. Easwaran explains that most people see life in terms of what?
(a) People have and do not have.
(b) People want.
(c) People fear.
(d) People have, like, desire, and fear.
13. Gandhi saw that Kasturbai was already living what he was studying, and began to do what?
(a) Emulate her example.
(b) Become envious of her.
(c) Feel guilty for not being more like her.
(d) Have her lead.
14. What does one become when one meditates?
(c) What he meditates on.
15. Easwaran opens the chapter entitled Mother and Child by asking the question of how such a personal evolution could have come about, and how the evolution of a single person could effect what?
(a) Such sweeping political change.
(b) Such sweeping political and interpersonal change.
(c) Such sweeping interpersonal change.
(d) Such a minor political and interpersonal change.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one's love is deep enough, Sri Krishna explains to the eager Arjuna, selfish attachment, insecurity, fear and despair will do what?
2. One who loves the Lord of Love is _____________________ by his circumstances.
3. Sri Krishna calls it the ______________ that inspires selfish possession, and says they are free who have escaped it, united with the Lord of Love and assured immortality.
4. What did Gandhi say as he died?
5. Kasturbai kept her faith in her husband's character even when what happened?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)