|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indian Congress vowed to do what?
2. With what was Fischer amazed, regarding Gandhi?
3. What was Gandhi's passion?
4. Churchill would crush what in order to save England and keep it as it had always been?
5. Nehru told Fischer privately that he was hopeful that Gandhi could work out a settlement with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gandhi decide to go to Noakhali?
2. What happened when the agreement was signed?
3. Describe Gandhi's personal life.
4. What happened that led to violence and arrests on August 9th?
5. What did Gandhi think about Christianity and other religions?
6. Against what did Gandhi remain steadfast? Did others stand strong with him? Why or why not?
7. What happened on August 15, 1947?
8. How did Gandhi act when he was once again put into jail?
9. How was Gandhi affected when WWII broke out?
10. What took place in March of 1946?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandhi's ashram is called the White House of India.
Part 1) What is an ashram? Describe Gandhi's ashram. Why is it called the White House of India?
Part 2) How do these two places compare? Can his ashram truly be called the White House of India? Why or why not?
Part 3) What does this name imply about the Indian people's feelings towards Gandhi, his followers, and the U.S.?
Essay Topic 2
Gandhi reads John Ruskins' UNTO THIS LAST.
Part 1) What does he learn from this book? How does this book change his life?
Part 2) How do others feel about these changes? Why do they feel this way?
Part 3) What literature, movie, or other media source has influenced your own life? How? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Rowlett Acts of 1919 continue unfair conditions for Indians.
Part 1) Describe the Rowlett Acts of 1919. How does Gandhi respond to these acts? What are the consequences of his actions?
Part 2) Describe similar actions in the U.S. to similar unfair laws. Are the outcomes similar? Why or why not? Is Gandhi's strategy successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) How are these strategies used by Gandhi and other leaders seen in our world today? How is our world affected by the acts of Gandhi and others?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)