|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After weeks of meditation, Gandhi informed the British Viceroy that civil disobedience would take place on what day, since he feared the promises for India's change of status would never be fulfilled?
(a) March 11th.
(b) April 11th.
(c) March 21st.
(d) March 1st.
2. Gandhi returned to India in 1915 to the shouts of Mahatmaji. What does the "ji" suffix indicate?
(a) Respect and affection.
3. Why was it important that Gandhi was considered "colored?"
(a) He was not allowed to ride on trains.
(b) He should not have been allowed to ride in first class.
(c) He was in the minority.
(d) He was not of African descent.
4. For what did Gandhi take blame?
(a) Miscalculating the dangers of the hartal.
(b) Allowing the hartal to get out of hand.
(c) Leading the hartal.
(d) Organizing the hartal.
5. When Gandhi returned to India, what did he learn?
(a) His wife is missing.
(b) His brother is missing.
(c) His father died.
(d) His mother died.
Short Answer Questions
1. The future of the 100,000 Indians in South Africa was in jeopardy. What does Gandhi decide to do?
2. As a child, what did Gandhi hide from his elders as much as possible?
3. While riding on a train from Maritzburg, what did an English man do?
4. Persecution stemmed from what?
5. Clearing his mind and soul of personal needs and desires allowed him to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were a million people gathered on January 31, 1948?
2. Describe Gandhi's marriage. What was his opinion about this type of marriage?
3. What happened when Gandhi was again arrested and jailed in May?
4. What happened when Gandhi went to Nepal?
5. Why did Gandhi end his campaign against the Rowlatt Act?
6. Describe where Gandhi spent the next sixteen years of his life.
7. By 1920, how did most British officials feel about Indians? How did this affect Gandhi?
8. What is a Yogi?
9. What happened when Gandhi and his followers walk freely around Transvaal?
10. Describe Gandhi as a child.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)