|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gandhi learn from the incident involving his brother, Laxmidas?
(a) He wanted to be a part of the exciting new government.
(b) He never wanted to be part of the stressful and taxing government.
(c) He never wanted to be part of the pettiness and snobbery of the government.
(d) He did not want his brother to take part in the corrupt government.
2. A short time after the incident on the train, Gandhi gave his first major speech at a meeting of the Indians of Pretoria. What was the subject of the meeting?
(a) Discrimination against the Indians and other colored people by the white people.
(b) Immigration to South Africa.
(d) Finding affordable housing.
3. Why were Gandhi and one of his sons and many other Indians arrested?
(a) For being non-registered coloreds.
(b) For not wearing the appropriate clothing.
(c) For protesting.
(d) For boycotting.
4. In his youth, Mohandas privately rejected what although he returned to it later in life?
(a) His family.
(b) His family's Hindu religion.
5. In May, what happened to Gandhi?
(a) He fasted.
(b) He became ill.
(c) He gave power to his son.
(d) He was again arrested and jailed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful was Gandhi at learning English?
2. England was beginning to realize what?
3. How did Gandhi feel about his young marriage?
4. To achieve success in South Africa, Gandhi's most effective tool was a unique creation of his own called what?
5. It took them 24 days to walk how many miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gandhi's marriage. What was his opinion about this type of marriage?
2. What happened initially when Gandhi got word to England about the treatment of Indians in South Africa?
3. What happened after WWI ended?
4. What is contained in Gandhi's first book, HIND SWARAJ or INDIAN HOME RULE?
5. What is satyagraha?
6. What took place on March 11, 1928?
7. What happened when Gandhi and his followers walk freely around Transvaal?
8. How did Gandhi get the title of Mahatma?
9. Describe politics involving Indians in the early 1900s. How did this affect Gandhi?
10. How did Gandhi feel about his life in London?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)