|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nehru later confessed that had he known the violence and death that would result leading to the War of Kashmir, he would have done what?
(a) Rejected the idea of a unified India.
(b) Left India.
(c) Created a Pakistani state sooner.
(d) Held out for a unified India.
2. Through the years, Gandhi had grown increasingly critical of what?
(a) The East.
(d) The West.
3. What did Gandhi think about Christ?
(a) He detested him.
(b) He admired him.
(c) He believed him to be an imposter.
(d) He believed him to be the Messiah.
4. Gandhi had discussions about what with the jailed and jailer alike?
(d) Religion and other matters.
5. One of Gandhi's closest associates was Charles Freer Andrews. Who is Andrews?
(a) A Catholic priest.
(b) A Christian missionary.
(c) A Christian bishop.
(d) A Moslem.
6. Was Gandhi able to meet Churchill?
(a) No, Churchill refused to see him.
(c) No, Churchill was out of the country.
(d) No, Churchill was ill.
7. Gandhi remained __________ the creation of Pakistan.
(a) Steadfast against.
(b) Steadfast for.
(c) Torn by.
(d) Unsure about.
8. How did the hatred between Hindus and Moslems affect Gandhi?
(a) It tormented him.
(b) It saddened him.
(c) It scared him.
(d) It worried him.
9. The British officials recommended __________, and the establishment of a central government along with provincial governments that would have sweeping authority.
(a) India be a common wealth.
(b) India stay a colony.
(c) A united India.
(d) A divided Indian and Pakistani state.
10. In August, 1931, Gandhi traveled with his son and entourage from Bombay to London for what?
(a) The third Round Table Conference.
(b) The second Round Table Conference.
(c) The first Round Table Conference.
(d) The fourth Round Table Conference.
11. What doid Nehru, who ridiculed Gandhi for fasting for the Harijan cause, do?
(a) He joined in the good will that is apparent everywhere.
(b) He ignored Gandhi.
(c) He protested Gandhi's actions.
(d) He began to fast.
12. Word came that the neighboring province of Bihar had broken out into violence. Thousands of Moslems were massacred. Gandhi put the blame at the feet of whom?
(a) The Bihar Hindus.
(b) The British.
(c) The Indian government.
(d) The Moslems.
13. In response to continued unrest and violence, Gandhi embarked on what?
(a) A fast to death.
(b) A journey to Pakistan.
(c) A month-long meditation.
(d) A pilgrimage to Mecca.
14. On February 22nd, Gandhi's dear wife, Kasturbai, died in prison, her head on his lap. From that time until his death, how did he honor her?
(a) He says prayers for her every day.
(b) He celebrates her birthday.
(c) He speaks to her.
(d) He says prayers on the 22nd of every month.
15. What did Gandhi decide to do again?
(a) Make a pilgrimage to Mecca.
(b) Fast to death.
(d) Travel to Pakistan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gandhi wrote a book on what while in jail?
2. When violence broke out, who did the Viceroy blame?
3. When asked if he was a Christian, how did Gandhi reply?
4. By the time Nehru left the ashram, Fischer could detect that Nehru was being won over, later becoming a stronger advocate of____________ than Gandhi himself.
5. Why could Gandhi not reconcile himself to this fact?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)