|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Gandhi attend the official celebration?
(a) No, he was ill.
(b) Yes, but only for a short while.
(c) No, he refused to attend.
2. The author of the book, Louis Fischer, visits Gandhi where?
(a) In his apartment.
(b) In Bombay.
(c) In his ashram.
(d) In South Africa.
3. One of Gandhi's closest associates was Charles Freer Andrews. Who is Andrews?
(a) A Christian missionary.
(b) A Christian bishop.
(c) A Moslem.
(d) A Catholic priest.
4. Gandhi remained __________ the creation of Pakistan.
(a) Torn by.
(b) Steadfast against.
(c) Unsure about.
(d) Steadfast for.
5. Was Gandhi's personal life as successful as his public life?
(d) Part of the time.
6. With what was Fischer amazed, regarding Gandhi?
(a) His speech.
(b) His fitness.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His frailty.
7. Gandhi once considered converting to Christianity but could not reconcile himself to what fact?
(a) God had only one Son.
(b) The only path to God is through Jesus Christ.
(c) Jesus was resurrected.
(d) Jesus was the Son of God.
8. Gandhi was saddened by the continuing violence spurred on by what?
(a) The creation of a unified India.
(b) The creation of an Indian common wealth.
(c) The creation of an Indian Congress.
(d) The creation of Pakistan.
9. Nehru offered Jinnah a role in the government. Did he accept it?
(b) Yes, but not at first.
(c) No, although he accepts it at first.
10. When did India wins its independence?
(a) On July 15, 1947.
(b) On September 15, 1947.
(c) On August 15, 1947.
(d) On June 15, 1947.
11. The Indian Congress met on August 8th where Gandhi's proposal of another civil disobedience in the cause for India's freedom was ______________.
(b) Considered and then rejected.
12. Why could Gandhi not reconcile himself to this fact?
(a) Why not have more sons?
(b) Why did God need sons?
(c) Why did he need to be resurrected?
(d) Why is there only one path to God?
13. Gandhi wrote a book on what while in jail?
14. Nehru told Fischer privately that he was hopeful that Gandhi could work out a settlement with whom?
(a) The Indian Congress.
(b) The British Prime Minister.
(c) The British viceroy.
(d) His ashramites.
15. Jinnah declared what on August 16th?
(a) A "Protest Day."
(b) A "Day of Peace."
(c) A "Direct Action Day."
(d) A "Hindu Day."
Short Answer Questions
1. What were holy men seen openly doing with Harijans?
2. Churchill would crush what in order to save England and keep it as it had always been?
3. Were the odds against Gandhi?
4. He often walked through slum areas where the local kids called him what?
5. Nehru visited one day and argued against what?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)