|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gandhi encouraged the Indians to observe what?
(a) A hartal.
(b) Prayer time.
(c) A moment of silence.
2. Gandhi's philosophy was that for Indians to be treated fairly, they needed to do what?
(a) Leave South Africa.
(b) Become wealthy.
(c) Improve themselves and discard any bad habits.
(d) Attack government officials.
3. Gandhi secretly ate meat for what reason?
(a) He is rebellious.
(b) To gain size.
(c) He likes the taste of it.
(d) To fit in.
4. Clearing his mind and soul of personal needs and desires allowed him to do what?
(a) Be careless.
(b) Stay peaceful.
(c) Work for the common welfare.
(d) Be a better father.
5. When he died, was Gandhi a private citizen with noteworthy professional achievement?
(a) Yes, a great deal.
(b) Yes, only later in his career.
(c) Yes, some.
6. Did the government follow through with its agreement to make the registration voluntary?
(a) At first.
7. A sharecropper asked Gandhi to help the people in his region of what country?
(b) Sri Lanka.
8. What happened January 30, 1948?
(a) Kasurbai died.
(b) Gandhi was injured.
(c) Gandhi was assassinated.
(d) Gandhi began a fast to the death.
9. How successful was Gandhi at learning English?
(a) He does not try to learn English.
(c) Not very.
10. What did Gandhi tell his people to do when the government announced that all Indians must register?
(a) To register.
(b) To resist and pledge defiance.
(c) To riot.
(d) To flee the country.
11. What happened in 1906?
(a) Ahimsa was tested.
(b) Satyagraha was tested.
(c) Swadeshi was tested.
(d) Duragraha was tested.
12. He traveled to what city where he enrolled in a three-year course of study?
(a) Liverpool, England.
(b) Dublin, Ireland.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) London, England.
13. Persecution stemmed from what?
(a) Lack of education of the persecuted.
(b) Lack of understanding by the majority.
(c) Lack of self-worth by the persecuted.
(d) Lack of self-worth by the whites.
14. What emerged during the meeting?
(a) Gandhi's philosophies.
(b) Gandhi's leadership qualities.
(c) Gandhi's enemies.
(d) Gandhi's friends.
15. Prior to this period, at the beginning of the 20th century, what had begun to emerge?
(a) An upper class.
(b) A lower class.
(c) A less-educated middle class.
(d) A better-educated middle class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gandhi lose when he spoke to this group?
2. What did the Rowlatt Acts of 1919 do?
3. Gandhi returned to India to bring his wife and two sons back with him to South Africa. When their steamer and another from India arrived in South Africa, both filled with new Indian immigrants, they were at first not allowed to disembark. Why?
4. To achieve success in South Africa, Gandhi's most effective tool was a unique creation of his own called what?
5. When it was time to decide upon a career, Gandhi decided to become what?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)