|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound is heard during Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair?
2. What does Beatrice ask Ruth to hand her after the science fair?
3. Janice Vickery states that her experiment is an accomplishment that will what?
4. What does Janice plan to do with her specimen after the science fair?
5. Who makes the following statement: "You know, one day maybe you will be pretty."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are several symbols in Zindel's play. Explore one symbol and discuss how it relates to a theme or motif in the play.
a) Identify the symbol.
b) What does this symbol represent?
c) Explain how the symbol helps the reader better understand the drama.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)