|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nanny at the end of Act 2?
2. What does Ruth try to tell Beatrice after the science fair?
3. Who makes the following statement: "You know, one day maybe you will be pretty."
4. Which character is the last to physically enter the stage in Act 2?
5. On what condition does Ruth swear to Tillie that she will keep a certain secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overarching theme of Zindel's play?
a) Is the title of the play related to this theme?
b) In what ways does this theme become apparent in Tillie's monologues and in her science fair presentation?
c) Does the theme bring a positive message to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several symbols in Zindel's play. Explore one symbol and discuss how it relates to a theme or motif in the play.
a) Identify the symbol.
b) What does this symbol represent?
c) Explain how the symbol helps the reader better understand the drama.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)