|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tillie, the seeds which received moderate radiation ...
2. What does Ruth bring out of her room after the science fair in Act 2?
3. What kind of transportation do the girls take to go to the science fair?
4. What does Ruth try to tell Beatrice after the science fair?
5. When Act 2 begins, what kind of clothes is Tillie wearing?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the minor characters, Nanny and Janice Vickery, in Zindel's play.
a) How do Nanny and Janice Vickery function as sources of comic relief in the play?
b) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the plot in the play?
c) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the themes in the play?
d) Why does Zindel include these characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)