|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is featured in one of the student's entries at the science fair?
2. According to Ruth, which science fair competitor does Tillie need to worry about?
3. What sound is heard during Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair?
4. What is the setting of the opening scene in Act 2?
5. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
Essay Topic 2
Zindel's play explores the theme of science and its impact on humankind. Discuss the ways in which Zindel presents this theme throughout the course of the play. Do you agree or disagree with Tillie's statement at the conclusion of her science fair presentation: "THE DAY WILL COME WHEN MANKIND WILL THANK GOD FOR THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL ENERGY FROM THE ATOM."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)