Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the following statement: "If you're just a little bit different in this world, they try to kill you off."
2. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
3. What does Tillie say about the power of exploding atoms?
4. What does Janice plan to do with her specimen after the science fair?
5. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
Essay Topic 1
In what way do dreams influence and inform the characters in Zindel's play?
a) Discuss Ruth's nightmare about Mr. Mayo. What kind of impact does this nightmare have on Ruth?
b) Discuss Beatrice's nightmare about riding the horse wagon into a silent neighborhood. Why does this dream frighten Beatrice?
c) Discuss the theme of shattered dreams in the play. Which character or characters has dreams that are never attained? What effect does this have on this character?
d) Which character or characters have given up on their dreams? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Is Beatrice a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
a) What is the root cause of Beatrice's bitterness and caustic behavior?
b) Does Beatrice demonstrate signs of mental illness? How might this explain her abusiveness toward her daughters?
c) Is Beatrice more of a danger to herself (self-destructive) than she is to others? Why or why not?
c) In what ways do Beatrice's insecurities impact her daughters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)