|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice ask Ruth to hand her after the science fair?
2. What does Ruth feed Peter?
3. Why does Beatrice try to convince Tillie to put a bow in her hair?
4. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
5. Which of the following actions does Beatrice NOT undertake after placing her first phone call in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the mother-daughter relationships in Zindel's play.
a) Is Beatrice a good mother? Why or why not?
b) Is Beatrice a traditional mother? Why or why not?
c) Does Beatrice express love for her daughters? If so, how?
d) Is Beatrice a role model to them? Why or why not?
e) How do Tillie and Ruth relate to Beatrice? Are they rebellious? Obedient?
f) Do Ruth and Tillie express love for Beatrice? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the minor characters, Nanny and Janice Vickery, in Zindel's play.
a) How do Nanny and Janice Vickery function as sources of comic relief in the play?
b) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the plot in the play?
c) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the themes in the play?
d) Why does Zindel include these characters in the play?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)