Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the following statement: "If you're just a little bit different in this world, they try to kill you off."
2. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
3. What does Tillie say about the power of exploding atoms?
4. What does Janice plan to do with her specimen after the science fair?
5. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tillie's presentation at the science fair. In what way do her findings relate to the play's overriding theme? Compare the effects of radiation on the marigolds to the effects of Beatrice's words and actions on her daughters. What are the implications in terms of Tillie's and Ruth's fate, compared to the fate of the marigolds?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Is Beatrice a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
a) What is the root cause of Beatrice's bitterness and caustic behavior?
b) Does Beatrice demonstrate signs of mental illness? How might this explain her abusiveness toward her daughters?
c) Is Beatrice more of a danger to herself (self-destructive) than she is to others? Why or why not?
c) In what ways do Beatrice's insecurities impact her daughters?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)