|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth's reaction to what she finds in her room in Act 2?
2. Which character speaks the final line in Act 2?
3. Tillie reveals that she had help purchasing some of the necessary items for her experiment. Who helped her pay for them?
4. Who attends the science fair with Tillie?
5. What does Beatrice ask Ruth to hand her after the science fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters whose names are mentioned at certain points in time, but do not appear physically in the scenes (for example, Mr. Goodman, Mr. Berg, Miss Hanley, and Nanny's daughter). Discuss the ways in which these characters serve to further the play's overall plot and themes.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tillie's presentation at the science fair. In what way do her findings relate to the play's overriding theme? Compare the effects of radiation on the marigolds to the effects of Beatrice's words and actions on her daughters. What are the implications in terms of Tillie's and Ruth's fate, compared to the fate of the marigolds?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)