Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the following statement: "If you're just a little bit different in this world, they try to kill you off."
2. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
3. What does Tillie say about the power of exploding atoms?
4. What does Janice plan to do with her specimen after the science fair?
5. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Beatrice seek or crave respect? Why does Beatrice claim that she was one of the most respected students in high school? What is revealed later on in the play that refutes this statement? When Beatrice spars with Ruth in Act 2, she states that she demands nothing else but respect from Ruth. Why is this so important to her? Does Beatrice treat her daughters with respect? Does Beatrice treat anyone else with respect? Does Beatrice respect herself?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)