|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening scene in Act 2?
2. Where is Nanny at the end of Act 2?
3. Which character stays home to care for Nanny during the science fair?
4. Ruth states that if anybody stuck Peter in a pot of boiling water, she would ...
5. What is Ruth's reaction to what she finds in her room in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Loneliness and isolation are a recurrent theme in Zindel's play. How is this theme developed in Act 1 and Act 2?
a) Analyze the play's setting, the Hunsdorfers' home. In what ways does it reinforce the theme of loneliness and isolation?
b) Analyze the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, Ruth, and Nanny. How is each one afflicted with loneliness and isolation?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)