|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zindel state about Ruth's appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Which character makes this statement: "Someday I'm going to write a book and blast that school to pieces."
3. Which character is the last to physically enter the stage in Act 2?
4. Which two species of animals are mentioned in Act 2?
5. According to Miss Hanley, Beatrice is:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
Essay Topic 2
In what way do dreams influence and inform the characters in Zindel's play?
a) Discuss Ruth's nightmare about Mr. Mayo. What kind of impact does this nightmare have on Ruth?
b) Discuss Beatrice's nightmare about riding the horse wagon into a silent neighborhood. Why does this dream frighten Beatrice?
c) Discuss the theme of shattered dreams in the play. Which character or characters has dreams that are never attained? What effect does this have on this character?
d) Which character or characters have given up on their dreams? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)