|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth think of Janice Vickery's science experiment?
2. When does Act 2 take place in time sequence following the last scene in Act 1?
3. What does Zindel state about Ruth's appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
4. When Act 2 begins, what kind of clothes is Tillie wearing?
5. What does Tillie say to Beatrice when she sees the outfit she is wearing to the science fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the minor characters, Nanny and Janice Vickery, in Zindel's play.
a) How do Nanny and Janice Vickery function as sources of comic relief in the play?
b) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the plot in the play?
c) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the themes in the play?
d) Why does Zindel include these characters in the play?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)