|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound is heard during Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair?
2. Which character makes this statement: "Someday I'm going to write a book and blast that school to pieces."
3. According to Ruth, who is waiting to see Beatrice at the science fair?
4. Which statement does Beatrice make before the science fair?
5. Of the events below, which one does NOT take place in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
Essay Topic 3
In what way do dreams influence and inform the characters in Zindel's play?
a) Discuss Ruth's nightmare about Mr. Mayo. What kind of impact does this nightmare have on Ruth?
b) Discuss Beatrice's nightmare about riding the horse wagon into a silent neighborhood. Why does this dream frighten Beatrice?
c) Discuss the theme of shattered dreams in the play. Which character or characters has dreams that are never attained? What effect does this have on this character?
d) Which character or characters have given up on their dreams? Why?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)