|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice do immediately after completing her second phone call in Act 2?
2. Select the character below who makes the following statement in Act 2: "I hate the world."
3. According to Ruth, which science fair competitor does Tillie need to worry about?
4. When does Act 2 take place in time sequence following the last scene in Act 1?
5. What does Ruth try to tell Beatrice after the science fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overarching theme of Zindel's play?
a) Is the title of the play related to this theme?
b) In what ways does this theme become apparent in Tillie's monologues and in her science fair presentation?
c) Does the theme bring a positive message to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)