|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Beatrice tries to contact the following persons in her first telephone call:
2. Who wins at the science fair?
3. What does Ruth try to tell Beatrice after the science fair?
4. These are Janice Vickery's parting words at the conclusion of her presentation at the science fair.
5. Ruth states that if anybody stuck Peter in a pot of boiling water, she would ...
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)