|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Tillie's science presentation, she appears:
2. Which character makes this statement: "Someday I'm going to write a book and blast that school to pieces."
3. On what condition does Ruth swear to Tillie that she will keep a certain secret?
4. Which two species of animals are mentioned in Act 2?
5. What does Beatrice do immediately after completing her second phone call in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in Zindel's play. Explore one symbol and discuss how it relates to a theme or motif in the play.
a) Identify the symbol.
b) What does this symbol represent?
c) Explain how the symbol helps the reader better understand the drama.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Beatrice seek or crave respect? Why does Beatrice claim that she was one of the most respected students in high school? What is revealed later on in the play that refutes this statement? When Beatrice spars with Ruth in Act 2, she states that she demands nothing else but respect from Ruth. Why is this so important to her? Does Beatrice treat her daughters with respect? Does Beatrice treat anyone else with respect? Does Beatrice respect herself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)