|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth states that if anybody stuck Peter in a pot of boiling water, she would ...
2. What critical remark does Beatrice make about Ruth prior to the science fair?
3. Beatrice speaks with this person during her second phone call in Act 2:
4. What does Tillie ask Beatrice after the science fair?
5. What does Tillie say about the power of exploding atoms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters whose names are mentioned at certain points in time, but do not appear physically in the scenes (for example, Mr. Goodman, Mr. Berg, Miss Hanley, and Nanny's daughter). Discuss the ways in which these characters serve to further the play's overall plot and themes.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)