|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
2. What does Tillie say about the power of exploding atoms?
3. Ruth is excited to meet this person at the science fair.
4. What does Ruth try to tell Beatrice after the science fair?
5. According to Ruth, who is waiting to see Beatrice at the science fair?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
Essay Topic 3
Is Beatrice a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
a) What is the root cause of Beatrice's bitterness and caustic behavior?
b) Does Beatrice demonstrate signs of mental illness? How might this explain her abusiveness toward her daughters?
c) Is Beatrice more of a danger to herself (self-destructive) than she is to others? Why or why not?
c) In what ways do Beatrice's insecurities impact her daughters?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)