Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the following statement: "If you're just a little bit different in this world, they try to kill you off."
2. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
3. What does Tillie say about the power of exploding atoms?
4. What does Janice plan to do with her specimen after the science fair?
5. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tillie's presentation at the science fair. In what way do her findings relate to the play's overriding theme? Compare the effects of radiation on the marigolds to the effects of Beatrice's words and actions on her daughters. What are the implications in terms of Tillie's and Ruth's fate, compared to the fate of the marigolds?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the mother-daughter relationships in Zindel's play.
a) Is Beatrice a good mother? Why or why not?
b) Is Beatrice a traditional mother? Why or why not?
c) Does Beatrice express love for her daughters? If so, how?
d) Is Beatrice a role model to them? Why or why not?
e) How do Tillie and Ruth relate to Beatrice? Are they rebellious? Obedient?
f) Do Ruth and Tillie express love for Beatrice? If so, how?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)