|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth's reaction to what she finds in her room in Act 2?
2. On what condition does Ruth swear to Tillie that she will keep a certain secret?
3. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
4. What has Beatrice prepared for Tillie's science project?
5. What does Ruth announce when Tillie returns home from the science fair?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters whose names are mentioned at certain points in time, but do not appear physically in the scenes (for example, Mr. Goodman, Mr. Berg, Miss Hanley, and Nanny's daughter). Discuss the ways in which these characters serve to further the play's overall plot and themes.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)