|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
2. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
3. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
4. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
5. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Beatrice respect Nanny? Support your answer with examples.
2. Why does Beatrice chloroform the rabbit?
3. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
4. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
5. Compare Ruth's attitude toward Tillie at the beginning of Act 1 to the end of Act 1.
6. What is the history folder, and what information does it contain?
7. What prevents Tillie from burying the rabbit upon discovering that it is dead?
8. When Beatrice and Tillie are arguing before the science fair, what does Beatrice claim as the reason she is looking forward to the event?
9. Why is Beatrice offended during her second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman?
10. Describe Beatrice's definition of a half-life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in Zindel's play. Explore one symbol and discuss how it relates to a theme or motif in the play.
a) Identify the symbol.
b) What does this symbol represent?
c) Explain how the symbol helps the reader better understand the drama.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)