|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
2. Who says that Tillie and Ruth are misfits?
3. Beatrice is busy doing which of the following activities when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
4. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
5. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the play in Act 1.
2. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
3. How does Beatrice treat her daughter, Tillie?
4. Does Nanny know what has transpired in the Hunsdorfer home in Act 2? Are there any similarities between Nanny and Beatrice?
5. Why does Zindel repeat the Conclusion of Tillie's science fair presentation at the end of Act 2?
6. How does Ruth react to Tillie's performance in the school Science Fair?
7. What do Beatrice and Ruth argue about prior to the science fair?
8. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
9. Compare Ruth's attitude toward Tillie at the beginning of Act 1 to the end of Act 1.
10. What excuse does Beatrice give to Mr. Goodman for keeping Tillie home from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters whose names are mentioned at certain points in time, but do not appear physically in the scenes (for example, Mr. Goodman, Mr. Berg, Miss Hanley, and Nanny's daughter). Discuss the ways in which these characters serve to further the play's overall plot and themes.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)