|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
2. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
3. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
4. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
5. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Beatrice and Tillie are arguing before the science fair, what does Beatrice claim as the reason she is looking forward to the event?
2. Is Beatrice looking forward to attending the science fair at the opening of Act 2?
3. Compare Ruth's attitude toward Tillie at the beginning of Act 1 to the end of Act 1.
4. In what way does Beatrice pay Tillie a compliment prior to the science fair?
5. Is Beatrice supportive of Tillie's interest in science?
6. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
7. What does Miss Hanley think of Beatrice?
8. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
9. Why does Tillie want Ruth to keep her knowledge about Beatrice being a high school outcast a secret from their mother?
10. During Beatrice's second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman, what concerns does she express about Tillie's science project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the mother-daughter relationships in Zindel's play.
a) Is Beatrice a good mother? Why or why not?
b) Is Beatrice a traditional mother? Why or why not?
c) Does Beatrice express love for her daughters? If so, how?
d) Is Beatrice a role model to them? Why or why not?
e) How do Tillie and Ruth relate to Beatrice? Are they rebellious? Obedient?
f) Do Ruth and Tillie express love for Beatrice? If so, how?
This section contains 2,127 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)