|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
2. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
3. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
4. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
5. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that Beatrice demands from Ruth, and why?
2. How does Ruth react to Tillie's performance in the school Science Fair?
3. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
4. Compare Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair to Tillie's.
5. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
6. In what way does Beatrice pay Tillie a compliment prior to the science fair?
7. Is Beatrice is a good mother?
8. What is Beatrice's state when Tillie and Ruth return home from the science fair? How does she react to the news that Tillie has won?
9. Why is Beatrice angry at Tillie following the phone call she receives from Mr. Goodman at the beginning of Act 1?
10. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)