Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
2. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
3. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
4. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
5. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
2. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
3. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
4. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
5. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
6. Is Beatrice is a good mother?
7. What is Beatrice's opinion of Nanny's daughter? Why do you think she has such strong feelings about her?
8. How does the science experiment make Tillie feel, and why?
9. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
10. Is Beatrice looking forward to attending the science fair at the opening of Act 2?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
Essay Topic 2
Zindel's play explores the theme of science and its impact on humankind. Discuss the ways in which Zindel presents this theme throughout the course of the play. Do you agree or disagree with Tillie's statement at the conclusion of her science fair presentation: "THE DAY WILL COME WHEN MANKIND WILL THANK GOD FOR THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL ENERGY FROM THE ATOM."
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Beatrice seek or crave respect? Why does Beatrice claim that she was one of the most respected students in high school? What is revealed later on in the play that refutes this statement? When Beatrice spars with Ruth in Act 2, she states that she demands nothing else but respect from Ruth. Why is this so important to her? Does Beatrice treat her daughters with respect? Does Beatrice treat anyone else with respect? Does Beatrice respect herself?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)