|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
2. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
3. Who is the first character introduced in the play?
4. Who says that Tillie and Ruth are misfits?
5. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Ruth share with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
2. Why does Beatrice chloroform the rabbit?
3. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
4. What is the cause of Ruth's emotional episode during the thunderstorm?
5. How does Beatrice treat her daughter, Tillie?
6. What is Beatrice's state when Tillie and Ruth return home from the science fair? How does she react to the news that Tillie has won?
7. Is Beatrice content with her life?
8. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
9. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
10. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zindel's play explores the theme of science and its impact on humankind. Discuss the ways in which Zindel presents this theme throughout the course of the play. Do you agree or disagree with Tillie's statement at the conclusion of her science fair presentation: "THE DAY WILL COME WHEN MANKIND WILL THANK GOD FOR THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL ENERGY FROM THE ATOM."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)