|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beatrice, the " manure machine" is what kind of animal?
2. When the scream is heard from upstairs, what sound accompanies it?
3. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
4. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
5. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of career aspirations did Beatrice have when she was in high school? Did she achieve them?
2. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
4. Why does Tillie want Ruth to keep her knowledge about Beatrice being a high school outcast a secret from their mother?
5. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
6. What excuse does Beatrice give to Mr. Goodman for keeping Tillie home from school?
7. How does the science experiment make Tillie feel, and why?
8. What happens to Ruth after she learns of the rabbit's death?
9. What is Beatrice's state when Tillie and Ruth return home from the science fair? How does she react to the news that Tillie has won?
10. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tillie's presentation at the science fair. In what way do her findings relate to the play's overriding theme? Compare the effects of radiation on the marigolds to the effects of Beatrice's words and actions on her daughters. What are the implications in terms of Tillie's and Ruth's fate, compared to the fate of the marigolds?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)