Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
2. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
3. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
4. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
5. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
2. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
3. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
4. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
5. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
6. Is Beatrice is a good mother?
7. What is Beatrice's opinion of Nanny's daughter? Why do you think she has such strong feelings about her?
8. How does the science experiment make Tillie feel, and why?
9. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
10. Is Beatrice looking forward to attending the science fair at the opening of Act 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overarching theme of Zindel's play?
a) Is the title of the play related to this theme?
b) In what ways does this theme become apparent in Tillie's monologues and in her science fair presentation?
c) Does the theme bring a positive message to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the mother-daughter relationships in Zindel's play.
a) Is Beatrice a good mother? Why or why not?
b) Is Beatrice a traditional mother? Why or why not?
c) Does Beatrice express love for her daughters? If so, how?
d) Is Beatrice a role model to them? Why or why not?
e) How do Tillie and Ruth relate to Beatrice? Are they rebellious? Obedient?
f) Do Ruth and Tillie express love for Beatrice? If so, how?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)