|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
2. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
3. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
4. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
5. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
2. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
3. What is the business scheme that Beatrice is preoccupied with in Act 2? According to Beatrice, what role will her daughters play?
4. Why is Beatrice angry at Tillie following the phone call she receives from Mr. Goodman at the beginning of Act 1?
5. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
6. Is Beatrice supportive of Tillie's interest in science?
7. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
8. What do Beatrice and Ruth argue about prior to the science fair?
9. Is Beatrice is a good mother?
10. What is the cause of Ruth's emotional episode during the thunderstorm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)