|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie's classmates laugh at her at which of the following school events?
2. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
3. What kind of school project is Tillie working on in Act 1?
4. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
5. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Beatrice pay Tillie a compliment prior to the science fair?
2. Describe Beatrice's definition of a half-life.
3. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
4. During Beatrice's second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman, what concerns does she express about Tillie's science project?
5. Is Beatrice of sound mind?
6. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
7. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
8. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
9. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
10. Describe the relationship between Ruth and Beatrice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Tillie's monologues in Zindel's play.
a) Compare and contrast Tillie's demeanor in her monologues with her demeanor in the context of her dialogue with Beatrice and Ruth.
b) What insights do Tillie's monologues provide the reader as to her inner world and motivations?
c) In what way do Tillie's monologues relate to the play's overall themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the minor characters, Nanny and Janice Vickery, in Zindel's play.
a) How do Nanny and Janice Vickery function as sources of comic relief in the play?
b) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the plot in the play?
c) In what way do Nanny and Janice Vickery further the themes in the play?
d) Why does Zindel include these characters in the play?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)