|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
2. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
3. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
4. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
5. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Tillie's classmates laugh at her at the science assembly at the beginning of Act 1?
2. Is Beatrice of sound mind?
3. Describe Beatrice's demeanor toward Tillie at the end of the final scene in Act 1.
4. Why do you think Tillie's appearance at the science fair is so important to Ruth?
5. What excuse does Beatrice give to Mr. Goodman for keeping Tillie home from school?
6. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
7. Describe Beatrice's appearance once she is dressed to attend the science fair.
8. Does Nanny know what has transpired in the Hunsdorfer home in Act 2? Are there any similarities between Nanny and Beatrice?
9. Does it come as a shock to Tillie when Beatrice states that she hates the world? Why?
10. Why does Beatrice chloroform the rabbit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overarching theme of Zindel's play?
a) Is the title of the play related to this theme?
b) In what ways does this theme become apparent in Tillie's monologues and in her science fair presentation?
c) Does the theme bring a positive message to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Beatrice seek or crave respect? Why does Beatrice claim that she was one of the most respected students in high school? What is revealed later on in the play that refutes this statement? When Beatrice spars with Ruth in Act 2, she states that she demands nothing else but respect from Ruth. Why is this so important to her? Does Beatrice treat her daughters with respect? Does Beatrice treat anyone else with respect? Does Beatrice respect herself?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)