|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
2. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
3. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
4. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
5. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Hanley think of Beatrice?
2. When Beatrice and Tillie are arguing before the science fair, what does Beatrice claim as the reason she is looking forward to the event?
3. Has Beatrice assisted Tillie with her project? If so, in what way?
4. Describe Beatrice's demeanor toward Tillie at the end of the final scene in Act 1.
5. What news does Ruth share with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
6. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
7. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
8. What does Beatrice discuss with Mr. Goodman during their phone conversation in the first scene of Act 1?
9. Why do you think Tillie's appearance at the science fair is so important to Ruth?
10. Compare Ruth's attitude toward Tillie at the beginning of Act 1 to the end of Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the mother-daughter relationships in Zindel's play.
a) Is Beatrice a good mother? Why or why not?
b) Is Beatrice a traditional mother? Why or why not?
c) Does Beatrice express love for her daughters? If so, how?
d) Is Beatrice a role model to them? Why or why not?
e) How do Tillie and Ruth relate to Beatrice? Are they rebellious? Obedient?
f) Do Ruth and Tillie express love for Beatrice? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)