|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nanny is best described as:
2. What does Ruth see in the record room at school?
3. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
4. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
5. Tillie's marigold seeds have been exposed to which of the following substances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does it come as a shock to Tillie when Beatrice states that she hates the world? Why?
2. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
3. Why does Beatrice chloroform the rabbit?
4. What does Beatrice discuss with Mr. Goodman during their phone conversation in the first scene of Act 1?
5. Describe Beatrice's feelings toward Tillie's pet.
6. What does Tillie's monologue in the first scene of Act 1 reveal about the girl?
7. What is the one thing that Beatrice demands from Ruth, and why?
8. In what way does Beatrice pay Tillie a compliment prior to the science fair?
9. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
10. How does Beatrice treat her daughter, Tillie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scenes that incorporate comic relief in Zindel's play.
a) What are some examples of comic relief in the play?
b) What purpose does comic relief serve in the play?
c) Which character brings the most comic relief to the play?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the mother-daughter relationships in Zindel's play.
a) Is Beatrice a good mother? Why or why not?
b) Is Beatrice a traditional mother? Why or why not?
c) Does Beatrice express love for her daughters? If so, how?
d) Is Beatrice a role model to them? Why or why not?
e) How do Tillie and Ruth relate to Beatrice? Are they rebellious? Obedient?
f) Do Ruth and Tillie express love for Beatrice? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Loneliness and isolation are a recurrent theme in Zindel's play. How is this theme developed in Act 1 and Act 2?
a) Analyze the play's setting, the Hunsdorfers' home. In what ways does it reinforce the theme of loneliness and isolation?
b) Analyze the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, Ruth, and Nanny. How is each one afflicted with loneliness and isolation?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)