|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
2. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
3. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
4. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
5. What kind of school project is Tillie working on in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
2. What kind of career aspirations did Beatrice have when she was in high school? Did she achieve them?
3. During Beatrice's second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman, what concerns does she express about Tillie's science project?
4. Why do you think Tillie's appearance at the science fair is so important to Ruth?
5. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
6. What is the one thing that Beatrice demands from Ruth, and why?
7. What is Beatrice's opinion of Nanny's daughter? Why do you think she has such strong feelings about her?
8. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
9. What news does Ruth share with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
10. Describe Beatrice's demeanor toward Tillie at the end of the final scene in Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
Essay Topic 2
Zindel's play explores the theme of science and its impact on humankind. Discuss the ways in which Zindel presents this theme throughout the course of the play. Do you agree or disagree with Tillie's statement at the conclusion of her science fair presentation: "THE DAY WILL COME WHEN MANKIND WILL THANK GOD FOR THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL ENERGY FROM THE ATOM."
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters whose names are mentioned at certain points in time, but do not appear physically in the scenes (for example, Mr. Goodman, Mr. Berg, Miss Hanley, and Nanny's daughter). Discuss the ways in which these characters serve to further the play's overall plot and themes.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)