|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What substance does Nanny spill?
2. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
3. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
4. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
5. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing that Beatrice demands from Ruth, and why?
2. What does Tillie's monologue in the first scene of Act 1 reveal about the girl?
3. What is Beatrice's opinion of Nanny's daughter? Why do you think she has such strong feelings about her?
4. What does Beatrice discuss with Mr. Goodman during their phone conversation in the first scene of Act 1?
5. Has Beatrice assisted Tillie with her project? If so, in what way?
6. What is the history folder, and what information does it contain?
7. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
8. Describe Beatrice's appearance once she is dressed to attend the science fair.
9. Why do Tillie's classmates laugh at her at the science assembly at the beginning of Act 1?
10. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the passage in which Beatrice calls herself the "original half-life." Does Beatrice have valid reasons for claiming this? What does this statement say about her attitude toward her daughters? How does this statement relate to the play's main themes? Can parallels be drawn between the true definition of a half-life and Beatrice's own life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
This section contains 1,956 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)