|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice's last name?
2. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
3. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
4. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
5. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
2. What does Miss Hanley think of Beatrice?
3. Describe Beatrice's demeanor toward Tillie at the end of the final scene in Act 1.
4. Briefly describe Beatrice's recurring nightmare.
5. How does Ruth react to Tillie's performance in the school Science Fair?
6. What excuse does Beatrice give to Mr. Goodman for keeping Tillie home from school?
7. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
8. Is Beatrice looking forward to attending the science fair at the opening of Act 2?
9. What happens to Ruth after she learns of the rabbit's death?
10. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Beatrice a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
a) What is the root cause of Beatrice's bitterness and caustic behavior?
b) Does Beatrice demonstrate signs of mental illness? How might this explain her abusiveness toward her daughters?
c) Is Beatrice more of a danger to herself (self-destructive) than she is to others? Why or why not?
c) In what ways do Beatrice's insecurities impact her daughters?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters whose names are mentioned at certain points in time, but do not appear physically in the scenes (for example, Mr. Goodman, Mr. Berg, Miss Hanley, and Nanny's daughter). Discuss the ways in which these characters serve to further the play's overall plot and themes.
Essay Topic 3
In what way do dreams influence and inform the characters in Zindel's play?
a) Discuss Ruth's nightmare about Mr. Mayo. What kind of impact does this nightmare have on Ruth?
b) Discuss Beatrice's nightmare about riding the horse wagon into a silent neighborhood. Why does this dream frighten Beatrice?
c) Discuss the theme of shattered dreams in the play. Which character or characters has dreams that are never attained? What effect does this have on this character?
d) Which character or characters have given up on their dreams? Why?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)