|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
2. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
3. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
4. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
5. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Tillie's classmates laugh at her at the science assembly at the beginning of Act 1?
2. Describe Beatrice's definition of a half-life.
3. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
4. Why do you think Tillie's appearance at the science fair is so important to Ruth?
5. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
6. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
7. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
8. What prevents Tillie from burying the rabbit upon discovering that it is dead?
9. Is Beatrice of sound mind?
10. What happens to Ruth after she learns of the rabbit's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do dreams influence and inform the characters in Zindel's play?
a) Discuss Ruth's nightmare about Mr. Mayo. What kind of impact does this nightmare have on Ruth?
b) Discuss Beatrice's nightmare about riding the horse wagon into a silent neighborhood. Why does this dream frighten Beatrice?
c) Discuss the theme of shattered dreams in the play. Which character or characters has dreams that are never attained? What effect does this have on this character?
d) Which character or characters have given up on their dreams? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Beatrice kill the rabbit? What is her motivation? Is it an act of retaliation? If so, for what? What impact does this act have on Tillie and Ruth? What does the rabbit symbolize in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
This section contains 2,150 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)