|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
2. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
3. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
4. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
5. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
2. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
3. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
4. Is Beatrice looking forward to attending the science fair at the opening of Act 2?
5. When Beatrice and Tillie are arguing before the science fair, what does Beatrice claim as the reason she is looking forward to the event?
6. Is Beatrice content with her life?
7. What does Miss Hanley think of Beatrice?
8. Describe Beatrice's definition of a half-life.
9. What is Beatrice's opinion of Nanny's daughter? Why do you think she has such strong feelings about her?
10. Describe Beatrice's appearance once she is dressed to attend the science fair.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of life and death in Zindel's play.
a) Analyze the characters, the setting, and the story to uncover the ways in which death figures prominently in the play. What impact does death have on the characters?
b) What thing or person represents life in the play?
c) In the end, does life or death prevail in this drama?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overarching theme of Zindel's play?
a) Is the title of the play related to this theme?
b) In what ways does this theme become apparent in Tillie's monologues and in her science fair presentation?
c) Does the theme bring a positive message to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of triumph in the face of adversity in Zindel's play.
a) Which character overcomes adversity? In what way is this achieved?
b) Give examples of some of the obstacles that this character faces throughout the course of the play.
c) What can be attributed to this character's ability to overcome adversity? How does this person cope and ultimately prevail despite difficult circumstances?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)