|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
2. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
3. Who is Mr. Mayo?
4. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
5. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Beatrice assisted Tillie with her project? If so, in what way?
2. Compare Ruth's attitude toward Tillie at the beginning of Act 1 to the end of Act 1.
3. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
4. When Beatrice and Tillie are arguing before the science fair, what does Beatrice claim as the reason she is looking forward to the event?
5. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
6. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
7. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
8. What is the history folder, and what information does it contain?
9. Is Beatrice of sound mind?
10. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of conformity versus individuality in Zindel's play. In what ways do the characters conform to society's expectations of them? In what ways do they remain independent? Which character conforms the most? Which character conforms the least?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overarching theme of Zindel's play?
a) Is the title of the play related to this theme?
b) In what ways does this theme become apparent in Tillie's monologues and in her science fair presentation?
c) Does the theme bring a positive message to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Beatrice, Tillie, and Ruth.
a) In what ways are these characters similar? In what ways are they different?
b) Which character is the most "rounded" of the three? Which character is the least?
c) What are each character's values? How do they differ from each other?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)