|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice hold over Nanny's head?
(a) A pot of coffee.
(b) A pot of boiling water.
(c) A pot of honey.
(d) A pot of marigolds.
2. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
3. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She hardly says a word.
(b) She is the prettiest girl.
(c) She isn't a pretty girl.
(d) She is half a test tube.
4. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I've come up with zero."
(b) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
(c) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(d) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
5. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is traveling with her mother.
(c) She has ringworm and gangrene.
(d) She is taking care of Nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
2. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
3. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
4. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
5. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beatrice angry at Tillie following the phone call she receives from Mr. Goodman at the beginning of Act 1?
2. Is Beatrice content with her life?
3. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
4. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
5. How does Ruth react to Tillie's performance in the school Science Fair?
6. What does Tillie's monologue in the first scene of Act 1 reveal about the girl?
7. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
8. Is Beatrice supportive of Tillie's interest in science?
9. Is Beatrice of sound mind?
10. What is the one thing that Beatrice demands from Ruth, and why?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)