|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
(b) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
(c) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
(d) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
2. What kind of school project is Tillie working on in Act 1?
(a) A language arts project.
(b) A music project.
(c) A science project.
(d) A social studies project.
3. Who is Mr. Mayo?
(a) A former boarder who lived with Beatrice.
(b) Nanny's late husband.
(c) Ruth's gym teacher.
(d) Beatrice's father.
4. Who is the first character introduced in the play?
(c) Mr. Goodman.
(d) Janice Vickery.
5. What special job does Ruth hold at school?
(a) She puts the flag up on the flag pole each morning.
(b) She takes care of keeping records on student attendance for the science office.
(c) She is the editor of the school newspaper.
(d) She is a tutor to students who are struggling in mathematics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
2. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
3. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
4. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
5. Who is the person screaming upstairs after Beatrice places a phone call in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
2. What is Beatrice's state when Tillie and Ruth return home from the science fair? How does she react to the news that Tillie has won?
3. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
4. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
5. What is the business scheme that Beatrice is preoccupied with in Act 2? According to Beatrice, what role will her daughters play?
6. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
7. Is Beatrice supportive of Tillie's interest in science?
8. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
9. Describe Nanny's physical appearance.
10. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)