|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
(b) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
(c) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
(d) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
2. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Groom the horses.
(b) Clean up animal waste.
(c) Water the marigolds.
(d) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
3. What substance does Nanny spill?
(a) Hot water.
(b) Plant food.
(c) Nail polish remover.
4. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A nursing home.
(b) A concentration camp.
(c) A family farm.
(d) A three-ring circus.
5. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
(a) The person complains about the smell of manure coming from the barn.
(b) The person tells her that the real estate course is no longer offered.
(c) The person demands that Nanny be taken to the hospital immediately.
(d) The person asks her whether she knows what a mutation is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
2. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
3. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
4. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
5. Who does Beatrice receive a phone call from in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
2. Why do you think Tillie's appearance at the science fair is so important to Ruth?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
4. How does Ruth react to Tillie's performance in the school Science Fair?
5. What is the one thing that Beatrice demands from Ruth, and why?
6. Compare Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair to Tillie's.
7. Does Beatrice respect Nanny? Support your answer with examples.
8. Describe Beatrice's appearance once she is dressed to attend the science fair.
9. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
10. What does Beatrice do to calm Ruth when she is hysterical?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)