|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
2. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
(b) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
(c) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
(d) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
3. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
(a) "You deserve a great big hug!"
(b) "I always knew Nanny would die in this house."
(c) "Nothing compares to a quality education."
(d) "Well, I want you to do something around here."
4. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
(a) To order marigold seeds.
(b) To express her concern about the marigold seeds her daughter Tillie brought home from school.
(c) To discuss Nanny's health with a physician.
(d) To enroll in a real estate course.
5. At the end of Act 1, Tillie reacts to Beatrice in what way?
(a) At first she cowers, then she confronts Beatrice.
(b) She slaps Beatrice in the face.
(c) She runs out of the room, shouting that she will never forgive Beatrice.
(d) She shrugs at Beatrice, then laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
2. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
3. What is Beatrice's last name?
4. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
5. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
2. In what way does Beatrice pay Tillie a compliment prior to the science fair?
3. During Beatrice's second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman, what concerns does she express about Tillie's science project?
4. Describe the relationship between Ruth and Beatrice.
5. Is Beatrice content with her life?
6. Describe Beatrice's definition of a half-life.
7. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
8. Is Beatrice supportive of Tillie's interest in science?
9. How does Beatrice treat her daughter, Tillie?
10. Describe Beatrice's demeanor toward Tillie at the end of the final scene in Act 1.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)