|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(a) Dr. Berg.
(c) Mr. Goodman.
2. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Boat without a life jacket.
(c) Set off firecrackers.
(d) Ride a horse backwards.
3. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
4. What special job does Ruth hold at school?
(a) She takes care of keeping records on student attendance for the science office.
(b) She puts the flag up on the flag pole each morning.
(c) She is a tutor to students who are struggling in mathematics.
(d) She is the editor of the school newspaper.
5. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
(a) A saint.
(b) A model citizen.
(c) A zombie.
(d) A criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
2. What substance does Nanny spill?
3. What is Beatrice's last name?
4. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
5. Who is Mr. Mayo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the play in Act 1.
2. Describe Beatrice's demeanor toward Tillie at the end of the final scene in Act 1.
3. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
4. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
5. Briefly describe Beatrice's recurring nightmare.
6. What is the history folder, and what information does it contain?
7. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
8. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
9. During Beatrice's second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman, what concerns does she express about Tillie's science project?
10. Is Beatrice is a good mother?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)