|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
(a) Cough syrup.
(c) Iced tea..
2. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
3. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(b) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(c) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(d) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
4. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
(a) Her lipstick had rubbed off.
(b) Her legs hurt.
(c) Her sister needed her.
(d) Her skull was growing.
5. At the end of Act 1, Tillie reacts to Beatrice in what way?
(a) At first she cowers, then she confronts Beatrice.
(b) She slaps Beatrice in the face.
(c) She runs out of the room, shouting that she will never forgive Beatrice.
(d) She shrugs at Beatrice, then laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
2. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
3. Ruth has one of the following problems:
4. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
5. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Ruth share with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
2. How does the science experiment make Tillie feel, and why?
3. What kind of career aspirations did Beatrice have when she was in high school? Did she achieve them?
4. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
5. During Beatrice's second phone conversation with Mr. Goodman, what concerns does she express about Tillie's science project?
6. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
7. Describe Nanny's physical appearance.
8. Besides caring for Nanny, what else does Beatrice expect Ruth to do while at home during the science fair? In what way does Beatrice threaten Ruth if she does not fulfill these obligations?
9. What is Beatrice's state when Tillie and Ruth return home from the science fair? How does she react to the news that Tillie has won?
10. Is Beatrice is a good mother?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)