|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Clean up animal waste.
(b) Water the marigolds.
(c) Groom the horses.
(d) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
2. Ruth has one of the following problems:
(a) She has frequent nightmares.
(b) She has severe leg pain.
(c) She is unable to read.
(d) She has an eating disorder.
3. Who is the first character introduced in the play?
(a) Janice Vickery.
(b) Mr. Goodman.
4. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(c) Iced tea.
5. What kind of animal is kept in the wire cage in the front left room?
(a) A gerbil.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A snake.
(d) A rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
2. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
3. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
4. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
5. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Ruth reveal to Tillie about their mother's experience in high school?
2. Has Beatrice assisted Tillie with her project? If so, in what way?
3. What does Tillie's monologue in the first scene of Act 1 reveal about the girl?
4. What is the explanation that Ruth gives Mr. Goodman for her sister's absence from school?
5. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
6. What do Beatrice and Ruth argue about prior to the science fair?
7. Describe the setting of the play in Act 1.
8. Does Beatrice respect Nanny? Support your answer with examples.
9. How does the science experiment make Tillie feel, and why?
10. Why do you think Tillie's appearance at the science fair is so important to Ruth?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)