|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
2. Ruth has one of the following problems:
(a) She has frequent nightmares.
(b) She has severe leg pain.
(c) She is unable to read.
(d) She has an eating disorder.
3. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
(a) To Beatrice's room.
(b) To Tillie's room.
(c) To the barn.
(d) To Nanny's room.
4. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
(b) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
(c) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
(d) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
5. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
(a) Tillie's poor performance in her vocal solo.
(b) Tillie's shouting match with a classmate.
(c) Tillie's complete lack of athletic ability.
(d) Tillie's unkempt appearance .
Short Answer Questions
1. Nanny is best described as:
2. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
3. Who is the first character introduced in the play?
4. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
5. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the business scheme that Beatrice is preoccupied with in Act 2? According to Beatrice, what role will her daughters play?
2. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
3. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
4. Describe Nanny's physical appearance.
5. What kind of career aspirations did Beatrice have when she was in high school? Did she achieve them?
6. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
7. Does it come as a shock to Tillie when Beatrice states that she hates the world? Why?
8. What does Tillie's monologue in the first scene of Act 1 reveal about the girl?
9. Why does Zindel repeat the Conclusion of Tillie's science fair presentation at the end of Act 2?
10. Describe the relationship between Ruth and Beatrice.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)