|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth upset with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) She feels that Beatrice's second-hand smoke has already done significant damage to the family members.
(b) She feels that Beatrice should have taken better care of Nanny.
(c) She feels that Beatrice has always favored Tillie.
(d) She feels that Beatrice should be proud of Tillie for her accomplishment.
2. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
(d) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
3. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
4. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
(b) Iced tea.
5. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
(a) Nanny is Beatrice's mother.
(b) Nanny is a boarder whom Beatrice cares for.
(c) Nanny is the live-in maid.
(d) Nanny is Beatrice's mother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
2. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
3. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
4. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
5. Who is Mr. Mayo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the science experiment make Tillie feel, and why?
2. Has Beatrice assisted Tillie with her project? If so, in what way?
3. Describe Beatrice's appearance once she is dressed to attend the science fair.
4. What do Beatrice and Ruth argue about prior to the science fair?
5. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
6. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
7. What is the business scheme that Beatrice is preoccupied with in Act 2? According to Beatrice, what role will her daughters play?
8. How does Ruth react to Tillie's performance in the school Science Fair?
9. When Beatrice receives a call from Dr. Berg, what is her response?
10. Is Beatrice supportive of Tillie's interest in science?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)