|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
(a) To enroll in a real estate course.
(b) To discuss Nanny's health with a physician.
(c) To express her concern about the marigold seeds her daughter Tillie brought home from school.
(d) To order marigold seeds.
2. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
(c) Miss Hanley.
3. What does Beatrice hold over Nanny's head?
(a) A pot of marigolds.
(b) A pot of honey.
(c) A pot of coffee.
(d) A pot of boiling water.
4. Who does Beatrice receive a phone call from in Act 1?
(a) Mr. Goodman.
(c) Janice Vickery.
5. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
(d) Lighter fluid.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
2. When the scream is heard from upstairs, what sound accompanies it?
3. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
4. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
5. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Beatrice's opinion of the school that Tillie and Ruth attend?
2. What is the business scheme that Beatrice is preoccupied with in Act 2? According to Beatrice, what role will her daughters play?
3. Describe Nanny's physical appearance.
4. Why do you think Zindel chose to switch back and forth between the science fair and Beatrice at home in Act 2?
5. What is the history folder, and what information does it contain?
6. Briefly describe Beatrice's recurring nightmare.
7. Compare Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair to Tillie's.
8. What is the cause of Ruth's emotional episode during the thunderstorm?
9. Describe Beatrice's feelings toward Tillie's pet.
10. Why does Beatrice not tell the truth to her daughters about her experiences in high school?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)