|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
(a) She is a sweet girl.
(b) She is not a pretty girl.
(c) She is a pretty girl.
(d) She is a mean girl.
2. Who is Mr. Mayo?
(a) Ruth's gym teacher.
(b) Beatrice's father.
(c) A former boarder who lived with Beatrice.
(d) Nanny's late husband.
3. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
(c) Miss Hanley.
4. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
(d) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
5. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She hardly says a word.
(b) She is the prettiest girl.
(c) She is half a test tube.
(d) She isn't a pretty girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
2. Tillie's marigold seeds have been exposed to which of the following substances?
3. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
4. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
5. Who says that Tillie and Ruth are misfits?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the advice Beatrice gives Tillie before the science fair.
2. What excuse does Beatrice give to Mr. Goodman for keeping Tillie home from school?
3. Why does Beatrice decide not to attend the science fair?
4. Describe Beatrice's definition of a half-life.
5. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
6. Why is Beatrice angry at Tillie following the phone call she receives from Mr. Goodman at the beginning of Act 1?
7. What happens to Ruth after she learns of the rabbit's death?
8. How would you characterize Janice Vickery's presentation at the science fair? What does this scene do for the mood of the play?
9. What is Beatrice's opinion of Nanny's daughter? Why do you think she has such strong feelings about her?
10. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)