|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
(a) "Horses! Rats! Rab ... bits!"
(b) "Apples! Pears! Cu ... cumbers!"
(c) "Marigolds! Sunflowers! Chrysanthe ... mums!"
(d) " Radium! Chloroform! Urani ... um!"
2. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
(d) Pop music.
3. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
(a) To Tillie's room.
(b) To Beatrice's room.
(c) To Nanny's room.
(d) To the barn.
4. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(b) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(c) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(d) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
5. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
2. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
3. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
4. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
5. At the end of Act 1, Tillie reacts to Beatrice in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tillie's monologue in the first scene of Act 1 reveal about the girl?
2. Why does Beatrice want Tillie to wear a bow in her hair?
3. What is the cause of Ruth's emotional episode during the thunderstorm?
4. Describe the setting of the play in Act 1.
5. What is Beatrice's state when Tillie and Ruth return home from the science fair? How does she react to the news that Tillie has won?
6. Describe the relationship between Ruth and Beatrice.
7. Is Beatrice of sound mind?
8. Is Beatrice content with her life?
9. Why does Beatrice refuse to allow Tillie to call the doctor when Ruth falls into a seizure?
10. Describe Beatrice's appearance once she is dressed to attend the science fair.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)