|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ruth at the end of Act 2?
(a) She settles down after a seizure.
(b) She dies.
(c) She buries the cat.
(d) She goes on a date with Chris Burns.
2. Which chemical was involved in Janice Vickery's experiment?
(c) Sodium hydroxide.
3. Which of the following phrases best characterizes Beatrice's demeanor during the second phone call in Act 2?
(a) Sad and empathetic.
(b) Peaceful and diplomatic.
(c) Manic and cruel.
(d) Frightened and shy.
4. What critical remark does Beatrice make about Ruth prior to the science fair?
(a) She says Ruth has a bad complexion.
(b) She says Ruth's hair bow is too large.
(c) She says Ruth's lipstick is an ugly color.
(d) She says Ruth's sweater is too tight.
5. Janice Vickery states that her experiment is an accomplishment that will what?
(a) Teach people to treat animals with care and humanity.
(b) Spread awareness about the effects of second-hand cigarette smoking.
(c) Prove to everyone that she is the smartest girl in the school.
(d) Look good on college applications to show you did something in school besides dating.
6. Why does Beatrice try to convince Tillie to put a bow in her hair?
(a) She thinks that Tillie's hair is out of control without the bow.
(b) She thinks that Tillie needs more style.
(c) She thinks that Tillie looks like a boy without hair accessories.
(d) She thinks that people will like Tillie for trying to look nice.
7. What does Tillie ask Beatrice after the science fair?
(a) Mother, you didn't kill it, did you?
(b) Mother, did you get your hair done?
(c) Mother, could I have some tea?
(d) Mother, did I look okay up there on the stage?
8. According to Miss Hanley, what is Beatrice's idea of dressing up?
(a) Wearing a ballgown.
(b) Wearing a fur coat.
(c) Wearing a business suit.
(d) Wearing feathers and dressing as a bird.
9. According to Miss Hanley, Beatrice is:
(a) Always smoking.
(b) Always growing flowers.
(c) Always trying to get somewhere, like a great big bird.
(d) Always trying to make a better life for her girls.
10. Per Zindel's stage directions, the spotlight "clings" to which character at the end of Act 2?
11. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
(a) She llit the animal on fire.
(b) She boiled the animal.
(c) She exposed the animal to cobalt-60.
(d) She put it in a swimming pool.
12. Which character stays home to care for Nanny during the science fair?
13. During the final portion of Tillie's science presentation, what special effect is used?
(a) Beatrice's voice is intertwined with Tillie's as the sound of horses trotting can be heard in the background.
(b) Her voice is distorted and she sounds like an old woman.
(c) Part of her speech is reverberated electronically and deep pulses of music are added as the light focuses on Tillie's face.
(d) The sound of cats meowing is heard over the sound system, followed by the ringing of bells.
14. According to Tillie, the seeds which received little radiation ...
(a) Have grown to plants which are gigantic in appearance.
(b) Have grown to plants which are tiny in appearance.
(c) Have grown to plants which are unhealthy in appearance.
(d) Have grown to plants which are normal in appearance.
15. After the science fair, which of the following questions does Ruth NOT ask Beatrice?
(a) Well, who won?
(b) Are you deaf?
(c) What's the matter with you?
(d) What did you rip the paper off the windows for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie reveals that she had help purchasing some of the necessary items for her experiment. Who helped her pay for them?
2. Which character is the last to physically enter the stage in Act 2?
3. Select the character who makes the following statement: "I can't help it what people call you."
4. Select the character below who makes the following statement in Act 2: "I hate the world."
5. According to Ruth, which science fair competitor does Tillie need to worry about?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)