|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of action does Janice Vickery say she undertook on her experimental specimen?
(a) She exposed the animal to cobalt-60.
(b) She put it in a swimming pool.
(c) She boiled the animal.
(d) She llit the animal on fire.
2. What does Beatrice say about the teachers and students at Tillie's school?
(a) Beatrice calls the teachers inept and the students exemplary.
(b) Beatrice calls the teachers overpaid and the students overweight.
(c) Beatrice calls the teachers underpaid and the students underachievers.
(d) Beatrice calls the teachers stupid and the students vicious.
3. What was Beatrice's high school nickname?
(a) Betty Butterfingers.
(b) Betty the Loon.
(c) Babyface Betty.
(d) Butterfly Betty.
4. Per Zindel's stage directions, the spotlight "clings" to which character at the end of Act 2?
5. Which statement does Beatrice make before the science fair?
(a) I don't care even if you do win the whole thing, I'm not making any speech.
(b) You better win.
(c) You know, even if you don't win, I'm still proud of you.
(d) I'm really proud of you and I'd be happy to make a speech if you win.
6. What is the setting of the opening scene in Act 2?
(a) The football field.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The Hunsdorfers' home.
(d) The science fair.
7. Which of the following phrases best characterizes Beatrice's demeanor during the second phone call in Act 2?
(a) Peaceful and diplomatic.
(b) Frightened and shy.
(c) Manic and cruel.
(d) Sad and empathetic.
8. What is Beatrice's final line in the play?
(a) "Get out of here and take that bag of bones with you."
(b) "What a beautiful world."
(c) "Life is what you make it."
(d) "I hate the world."
9. According to Miss Hanley, Beatrice is:
(a) Always trying to get somewhere, like a great big bird.
(b) Always trying to make a better life for her girls.
(c) Always growing flowers.
(d) Always smoking.
10. What does Ruth say she would not be caught dead wearing on stage?
(a) A baggy sweater.
(b) A bright lipstick.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A horrible bow.
11. Which person does Beatrice mention by name during her second phone call in Act 2?
12. On what condition does Ruth swear to Tillie that she will keep a certain secret?
(a) On the condition that Tillie tries a cigarette.
(b) On the condition that Tillie takes the bow out of her hair.
(c) On the condition that Tillie changes clothes.
(d) On the condition that Tillie gives Peter to her.
13. What is Ruth's reaction to what she finds in her room in Act 2?
(a) She grabs Tillie and dances with her in the living room.
(b) She jumps for joy and calls Chris Burns.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She has a seizure.
14. Immediately following Janice's presentation at the science fair, the lights come up to reveal which of the following characters?
(a) Nanny falling down the stairs.
(b) Beatrice, who has been drinking.
(c) Ruth sneaking out of the house.
(d) Tillie giving her presentation.
15. What does Nanny say in Act 2?
(a) "Why is everybody so excited?"
(b) Nothing. She has no lines in Act 2.
(c) "I want to go home."
(d) She mumbles inaudibly while on the phone with her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zindel state about Ruth's appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Ruth states that if anybody stuck Peter in a pot of boiling water, she would ...
3. Beatrice surprises Ruth by placing something in her room in Act 2. What is it?
4. Which of the following characters is not at home in Act 2?
5. Beatrice speaks with this person during her second phone call in Act 2:
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)