|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
2. Ruth has one of the following problems:
(a) She has an eating disorder.
(b) She has frequent nightmares.
(c) She is unable to read.
(d) She has severe leg pain.
3. Why is Ruth upset with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) She feels that Beatrice has always favored Tillie.
(b) She feels that Beatrice's second-hand smoke has already done significant damage to the family members.
(c) She feels that Beatrice should be proud of Tillie for her accomplishment.
(d) She feels that Beatrice should have taken better care of Nanny.
4. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
(a) Tillie's poor performance in her vocal solo.
(b) Tillie's complete lack of athletic ability.
(c) Tillie's shouting match with a classmate.
(d) Tillie's unkempt appearance .
5. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
(b) To get her out of the house.
(c) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
(d) To be sure that she was taken care of.
6. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
(a) "I had more nerve than a bear."
(b) I was a shy as a church mouse."
(c) "I hated my father."
(d) "I spent all of my time with my mother."
7. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
(a) Her lipstick had rubbed off.
(b) Her legs hurt.
(c) Her skull was growing.
(d) Her sister needed her.
8. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
(a) A bathing suit.
(b) A bathrobe.
(c) Jean overalls.
(d) An evening gown.
9. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
(a) She is shocked and saddened because she does not know how to solve her daughter's problems.
(b) She is worried and nervous because Nanny's health is on the decline.
(c) She is angry and agitated because she does not want to go on stage without appropriate clothes.
(d) She is delighted and enthusiastic because she cannot wait to show her pride for her daughter.
10. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
(a) He made up for all the other men in the world.
(b) He smoked like a chimney.
(c) He was cruel and abusive.
(d) He grew prize-winning marigolds.
11. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
(a) She is traveling with her mother.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has ringworm and gangrene.
(d) She is taking care of Nanny.
12. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(c) Iced tea.
13. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
(a) The person tells her that the real estate course is no longer offered.
(b) The person complains about the smell of manure coming from the barn.
(c) The person demands that Nanny be taken to the hospital immediately.
(d) The person asks her whether she knows what a mutation is.
14. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
(b) Lighter fluid.
15. What kind of school project is Tillie working on in Act 1?
(a) A science project.
(b) A social studies project.
(c) A language arts project.
(d) A music project.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
2. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
3. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
4. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
5. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)