|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrice is busy doing which of the following activities when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(a) Planting marigolds.
(b) A little housecleaning.
(c) Assisting Ruth with her homework.
(d) Cooking dinner.
2. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Scorn and disrespect.
(b) Pride and enthusiasm.
(c) Fear and loathing.
(d) Jealousy and anger.
3. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
(a) A field of marigolds.
(b) A school gymnasium.
(c) A swimming pool.
(d) A dark room of wood.
4. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
(a) Drama Queen.
(b) Daisy Lips.
(c) Devil's Kiss.
(d) Drop Dead Diva.
5. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
(a) "That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me."
(b) "That is the funniest nightmare I've ever heard."
(c) "That is the scariest dream I've ever heard."
(d) "That doesn't sound like a walk in the park."
6. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
(b) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(c) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(d) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
7. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what does Tillie carry in from the front door?
(a) A carton of cigarettes.
(b) A report card.
(c) A hamster in a cage.
(d) A box of marigold plants.
8. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
9. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
10. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
11. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(b) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(c) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(d) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
12. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
(a) She throws her cigarettes into the trash.
(b) She jumps onto the dining table and does a cheer.
(c) She flings her glass on the floor.
(d) She jumps on a horse and rides into town.
13. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
(a) Ruth is an A-student.
(b) Ruth is performing satisfactorily in her classes.
(c) Ruth used to be a C-student and is now a B-student.
(d) Ruth is failing all of her classes.
14. Tillie's marigold seeds have been exposed to which of the following substances?
15. What kind of model does Tillie present in school?
(a) A model of a vegetable farm.
(b) A model of an atom.
(c) A model of a house.
(d) A model of a swimming pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
2. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
3. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
4. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
5. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)