Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
(a) Grooming a horse.
(b) Planting marigolds.
(c) Applying lipstick.
(d) Feeding Nanny her breakfast.
2. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
3. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(b) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(c) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(d) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
4. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
(a) A teacher who inspired Tillie to study horticulture.
(b) A man who lived with Beatrice and had worms in his legs.
(c) A scientist who invented growth hormones for marigolds.
(d) A horse jockey who died in an accident on the track.
5. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To get her out of the house.
(b) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
(c) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
(d) To be sure that she was taken care of.
6. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Clean up animal waste.
(b) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
(c) Water the marigolds.
(d) Groom the horses.
7. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
(a) The person tells her that the real estate course is no longer offered.
(b) The person demands that Nanny be taken to the hospital immediately.
(c) The person asks her whether she knows what a mutation is.
(d) The person complains about the smell of manure coming from the barn.
8. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
9. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
(a) Drama Queen.
(b) Daisy Lips.
(c) Drop Dead Diva.
(d) Devil's Kiss.
10. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
(a) Miss Hanley.
11. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
(c) Lighter fluid.
12. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
(a) Tillie's shouting match with a classmate.
(b) Tillie's poor performance in her vocal solo.
(c) Tillie's unkempt appearance .
(d) Tillie's complete lack of athletic ability.
13. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Boat without a life jacket.
(c) Ride a horse backwards.
(d) Set off firecrackers.
14. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
15. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
(a) "Mother, I am dropping out of school."
(b) "Mother, I sprained my ankle in gym today."
(c) "Mother, Nanny is choking."
(d) "Mother, they want me to do something at school."
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
2. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
3. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
4. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
5. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)