|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(a) Mr. Goodman.
(b) Dr. Berg.
2. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
(a) Jean overalls.
(b) A bathing suit.
(c) An evening gown.
(d) A bathrobe.
3. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A family farm.
(b) A three-ring circus.
(c) A concentration camp.
(d) A nursing home.
4. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
(a) "I had more nerve than a bear."
(b) "I hated my father."
(c) "I spent all of my time with my mother."
(d) I was a shy as a church mouse."
5. What kind of school project is Tillie working on in Act 1?
(a) A language arts project.
(b) A science project.
(c) A social studies project.
(d) A music project.
6. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
7. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
(a) Dress it up in baby clothes.
(b) Put lipstick on it.
(c) Put it on a leash and take it for a walk.
(d) Chloroform it.
8. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
(a) A model citizen.
(b) A criminal.
(c) A zombie.
(d) A saint.
9. What kind of animal is kept in the wire cage in the front left room?
(a) A gerbil.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A snake.
10. What does Ruth see in the record room at school?
(a) Her attendance record.
(b) Her sister's test scores.
(c) Her report card.
(d) Her history file.
11. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
(a) She jumps on a horse and rides into town.
(b) She flings her glass on the floor.
(c) She throws her cigarettes into the trash.
(d) She jumps onto the dining table and does a cheer.
12. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
(a) She is a mean girl.
(b) She is not a pretty girl.
(c) She is a pretty girl.
(d) She is a sweet girl.
13. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(b) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(c) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
(d) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
14. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
(d) Cell phones.
15. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
(a) Ruth is performing satisfactorily in her classes.
(b) Ruth used to be a C-student and is now a B-student.
(c) Ruth is an A-student.
(d) Ruth is failing all of her classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
2. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
3. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
4. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
5. What does Beatrice ask Tillie to get rid of in the final scene in Act 1?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)