|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
(a) "I spent all of my time with my mother."
(b) "I hated my father."
(c) I was a shy as a church mouse."
(d) "I had more nerve than a bear."
2. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
(a) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been expelled from school.
(b) Ruth exclaims that Nanny has collapsed in her bedroom.
(c) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been selected as a finalist in the science fair.
(d) Ruth exclaims that Tillie made a huge fool of herself in the school cafeteria.
3. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
4. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
(c) Lighter fluid.
5. Nanny is also described as:
(a) Talkative and wheelchair-bound.
(b) Young-looking, but terribly arthritic.
(c) Utterly wrinkled and dried, perhaps a century old.
(d) Vibrant and beautiful.
6. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
(b) Teenage drinking.
(c) Real estate listings.
(d) Elder abuse.
7. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
(a) He grew prize-winning marigolds.
(b) He was cruel and abusive.
(c) He smoked like a chimney.
(d) He made up for all the other men in the world.
8. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
9. Who is Mr. Mayo?
(a) Nanny's late husband.
(b) Ruth's gym teacher.
(c) A former boarder who lived with Beatrice.
(d) Beatrice's father.
10. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
(a) Nanny is a boarder whom Beatrice cares for.
(b) Nanny is Beatrice's mother-in-law.
(c) Nanny is the live-in maid.
(d) Nanny is Beatrice's mother.
11. According to Beatrice, the " manure machine" is what kind of animal?
(a) A horse.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A rabbit.
12. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
(a) Planting marigolds.
(b) Applying lipstick.
(c) Feeding Nanny her breakfast.
(d) Grooming a horse.
13. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Ride a horse backwards.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Set off firecrackers.
(d) Boat without a life jacket.
14. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
(a) Iced tea..
(d) Cough syrup.
15. Which of the following conditions did Beatrice's former husband suffer with?
Short Answer Questions
1. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
2. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
3. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
4. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
5. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)