|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
(a) To express her concern about the marigold seeds her daughter Tillie brought home from school.
(b) To enroll in a real estate course.
(c) To discuss Nanny's health with a physician.
(d) To order marigold seeds.
2. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A family farm.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A concentration camp.
(d) A three-ring circus.
3. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
(a) She is not a pretty girl.
(b) She is a pretty girl.
(c) She is a mean girl.
(d) She is a sweet girl.
4. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She hardly says a word.
(b) She is the prettiest girl.
(c) She is half a test tube.
(d) She isn't a pretty girl.
5. Nanny is best described as:
6. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
(a) She is taking care of Nanny.
(b) She has ringworm and gangrene.
(c) She is traveling with her mother.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. Who is the first character introduced in the play?
(c) Mr. Goodman.
(d) Janice Vickery.
8. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A pair of eyeglasses.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A handbag.
9. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
(b) Cell phones.
10. What does Beatrice ask Tillie to get rid of in the final scene in Act 1?
(a) The flashlight and the candles.
(b) The rabbit and the marigolds.
(c) The whiskey and the cigarettes.
(d) The horses and the rats.
11. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
(a) A man who lived with Beatrice and had worms in his legs.
(b) A horse jockey who died in an accident on the track.
(c) A teacher who inspired Tillie to study horticulture.
(d) A scientist who invented growth hormones for marigolds.
12. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
(a) A bathing suit.
(b) A bathrobe.
(c) Jean overalls.
(d) An evening gown.
13. At the end of Act 1, Tillie reacts to Beatrice in what way?
(a) She shrugs at Beatrice, then laughs.
(b) At first she cowers, then she confronts Beatrice.
(c) She slaps Beatrice in the face.
(d) She runs out of the room, shouting that she will never forgive Beatrice.
14. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
(c) Miss Hanley.
15. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
(b) Real estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
2. What kind of animal is kept in the wire cage in the front left room?
3. What kind of model does Tillie present in school?
4. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
5. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)