|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What special job does Ruth hold at school?
(a) She puts the flag up on the flag pole each morning.
(b) She is the editor of the school newspaper.
(c) She is a tutor to students who are struggling in mathematics.
(d) She takes care of keeping records on student attendance for the science office.
2. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
3. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
(b) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
(c) Tillie's absence from school.
(d) The horses were let out of the stable.
4. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
(a) A swimming pool.
(b) A school gymnasium.
(c) A dark room of wood.
(d) A field of marigolds.
5. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
(a) A handbag.
(b) A shovel.
(c) A pair of eyeglasses.
(d) A spoon.
6. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
(b) Groom the horses.
(c) Clean up animal waste.
(d) Water the marigolds.
7. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
(c) Mr. Goodman.
8. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
9. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
(a) "Mother, I am dropping out of school."
(b) "Mother, I sprained my ankle in gym today."
(c) "Mother, Nanny is choking."
(d) "Mother, they want me to do something at school."
10. What kind of animal is kept in the wire cage in the front left room?
(a) A ferret.
(b) A gerbil.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A snake.
11. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
(a) "That is the funniest nightmare I've ever heard."
(b) "That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me."
(c) "That doesn't sound like a walk in the park."
(d) "That is the scariest dream I've ever heard."
12. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
13. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
(a) A model citizen.
(b) A criminal.
(c) A saint.
(d) A zombie.
14. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
(a) Nanny is Beatrice's mother.
(b) Nanny is Beatrice's mother-in-law.
(c) Nanny is the live-in maid.
(d) Nanny is a boarder whom Beatrice cares for.
15. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Boat without a life jacket.
(c) Ride a horse backwards.
(d) Set off firecrackers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
2. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
3. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
4. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
5. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)