|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
(a) She is angry and agitated because she does not want to go on stage without appropriate clothes.
(b) She is worried and nervous because Nanny's health is on the decline.
(c) She is delighted and enthusiastic because she cannot wait to show her pride for her daughter.
(d) She is shocked and saddened because she does not know how to solve her daughter's problems.
2. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
(a) A lovely gown with jewels all over it.
(b) Equestrian clothing.
(c) A swimsuit.
3. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
(a) Cell phones.
4. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
(a) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been expelled from school.
(b) Ruth exclaims that Tillie made a huge fool of herself in the school cafeteria.
(c) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been selected as a finalist in the science fair.
(d) Ruth exclaims that Nanny has collapsed in her bedroom.
5. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(b) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(c) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(d) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
6. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
(b) To be sure that she was taken care of.
(c) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
(d) To get her out of the house.
7. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
(b) Flower pots.
(c) Newspapers and junk.
8. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
(a) Nanny is a boarder whom Beatrice cares for.
(b) Nanny is Beatrice's mother-in-law.
(c) Nanny is Beatrice's mother.
(d) Nanny is the live-in maid.
9. Who is the person screaming upstairs after Beatrice places a phone call in Act 1?
(a) Mr. Goodman.
(c) Miss Torgersen.
10. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
11. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(b) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(c) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(d) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
12. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
(a) Iced tea..
(d) Cough syrup.
13. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
(a) A chocolate milkshake.
(b) Coffee with cream.
(c) Hot water and honey.
(d) Whiskey and water.
14. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
(a) An evening gown.
(b) Jean overalls.
(c) A bathing suit.
(d) A bathrobe.
15. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
(b) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
(c) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
(d) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
2. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
3. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
4. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
5. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)