|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
(b) Tillie's absence from school.
(c) The horses were let out of the stable.
(d) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
2. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
(d) Pop music.
3. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
(a) Her skull was growing.
(b) Her lipstick had rubbed off.
(c) Her legs hurt.
(d) Her sister needed her.
4. What does Ruth see in the record room at school?
(a) Her report card.
(b) Her history file.
(c) Her sister's test scores.
(d) Her attendance record.
5. Why is Ruth upset with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) She feels that Beatrice should have taken better care of Nanny.
(b) She feels that Beatrice has always favored Tillie.
(c) She feels that Beatrice should be proud of Tillie for her accomplishment.
(d) She feels that Beatrice's second-hand smoke has already done significant damage to the family members.
6. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
(a) "Apples! Pears! Cu ... cumbers!"
(b) "Marigolds! Sunflowers! Chrysanthe ... mums!"
(c) " Radium! Chloroform! Urani ... um!"
(d) "Horses! Rats! Rab ... bits!"
7. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
(d) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
8. Who says that Tillie and Ruth are misfits?
(b) Dr. Berg.
(d) Miss Torgersen.
9. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
10. What is Beatrice's last name?
11. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
(a) Put lipstick on it.
(b) Dress it up in baby clothes.
(c) Chloroform it.
(d) Put it on a leash and take it for a walk.
12. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
(a) She is not a pretty girl.
(b) She is a sweet girl.
(c) She is a pretty girl.
(d) She is a mean girl.
13. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
14. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
(a) A teacher who inspired Tillie to study horticulture.
(b) A horse jockey who died in an accident on the track.
(c) A man who lived with Beatrice and had worms in his legs.
(d) A scientist who invented growth hormones for marigolds.
15. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A three-ring circus.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A concentration camp.
(d) A family farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
2. What substance does Nanny spill?
3. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
4. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
5. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)