|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
(b) Cough syrup.
(d) Iced tea..
2. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To be sure that she was taken care of.
(b) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
(c) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
(d) To get her out of the house.
3. Beatrice is busy doing which of the following activities when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(a) A little housecleaning.
(b) Cooking dinner.
(c) Planting marigolds.
(d) Assisting Ruth with her homework.
4. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
5. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
(a) She throws her cigarettes into the trash.
(b) She jumps onto the dining table and does a cheer.
(c) She flings her glass on the floor.
(d) She jumps on a horse and rides into town.
6. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what does Tillie carry in from the front door?
(a) A report card.
(b) A box of marigold plants.
(c) A carton of cigarettes.
(d) A hamster in a cage.
7. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
(d) Miss Hanley.
8. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
(a) A pair of eyeglasses.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A handbag.
9. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Tillie's absence from school.
(b) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
(c) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
(d) The horses were let out of the stable.
10. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Jealousy and anger.
(b) Scorn and disrespect.
(c) Fear and loathing.
(d) Pride and enthusiasm.
11. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
(a) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been expelled from school.
(b) Ruth exclaims that Nanny has collapsed in her bedroom.
(c) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been selected as a finalist in the science fair.
(d) Ruth exclaims that Tillie made a huge fool of herself in the school cafeteria.
12. What does Beatrice ask Tillie to get rid of in the final scene in Act 1?
(a) The rabbit and the marigolds.
(b) The flashlight and the candles.
(c) The whiskey and the cigarettes.
(d) The horses and the rats.
13. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
(a) Teenage drinking.
(b) Elder abuse.
(d) Real estate listings.
14. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
(a) She is a mean girl.
(b) She is not a pretty girl.
(c) She is a sweet girl.
(d) She is a pretty girl.
15. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
(a) A school gymnasium.
(b) A field of marigolds.
(c) A dark room of wood.
(d) A swimming pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
2. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
3. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
4. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
5. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)