|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ruth has one of the following problems:
(a) She has frequent nightmares.
(b) She has severe leg pain.
(c) She has an eating disorder.
(d) She is unable to read.
2. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
(c) Real estate.
3. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
(a) Chloroform it.
(b) Put it on a leash and take it for a walk.
(c) Put lipstick on it.
(d) Dress it up in baby clothes.
4. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
(a) Her sister needed her.
(b) Her lipstick had rubbed off.
(c) Her legs hurt.
(d) Her skull was growing.
5. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
(b) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
(c) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
(d) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
6. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Groom the horses.
(b) Water the marigolds.
(c) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
(d) Clean up animal waste.
7. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
(a) " Radium! Chloroform! Urani ... um!"
(b) "Marigolds! Sunflowers! Chrysanthe ... mums!"
(c) "Horses! Rats! Rab ... bits!"
(d) "Apples! Pears! Cu ... cumbers!"
8. At the end of Act 1, Tillie reacts to Beatrice in what way?
(a) She runs out of the room, shouting that she will never forgive Beatrice.
(b) At first she cowers, then she confronts Beatrice.
(c) She slaps Beatrice in the face.
(d) She shrugs at Beatrice, then laughs.
9. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
(c) Cell phones.
10. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A nursing home.
(b) A concentration camp.
(c) A family farm.
(d) A three-ring circus.
11. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
12. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Fear and loathing.
(b) Scorn and disrespect.
(c) Pride and enthusiasm.
(d) Jealousy and anger.
13. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
(a) She is worried and nervous because Nanny's health is on the decline.
(b) She is delighted and enthusiastic because she cannot wait to show her pride for her daughter.
(c) She is shocked and saddened because she does not know how to solve her daughter's problems.
(d) She is angry and agitated because she does not want to go on stage without appropriate clothes.
14. What substance does Nanny spill?
(a) Plant food.
(c) Nail polish remover.
(d) Hot water.
15. Nanny is best described as:
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is kept in the wire cage in the front left room?
2. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
3. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
4. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
5. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)