|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
(b) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
(c) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(d) "I've come up with zero."
2. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
(b) Water the marigolds.
(c) Clean up animal waste.
(d) Groom the horses.
3. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
(b) Lighter fluid.
4. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Ride a horse backwards.
(b) Boat without a life jacket.
(c) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Set off firecrackers.
5. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
(a) A chocolate milkshake.
(b) Whiskey and water.
(c) Coffee with cream.
(d) Hot water and honey.
6. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
(b) Cell phones.
7. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
(a) "Mother, I am dropping out of school."
(b) "Mother, they want me to do something at school."
(c) "Mother, Nanny is choking."
(d) "Mother, I sprained my ankle in gym today."
8. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is taking care of Nanny.
(c) She has ringworm and gangrene.
(d) She is traveling with her mother.
9. Who says that Tillie and Ruth are misfits?
(a) Dr. Berg.
(c) Miss Torgersen.
10. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
(a) Teenage drinking.
(b) Real estate listings.
(c) Elder abuse.
11. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
(d) Pop music.
12. Tillie's marigold seeds have been exposed to which of the following substances?
13. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
(a) A man who lived with Beatrice and had worms in his legs.
(b) A scientist who invented growth hormones for marigolds.
(c) A teacher who inspired Tillie to study horticulture.
(d) A horse jockey who died in an accident on the track.
14. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
(a) To express her concern about the marigold seeds her daughter Tillie brought home from school.
(b) To order marigold seeds.
(c) To discuss Nanny's health with a physician.
(d) To enroll in a real estate course.
15. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
(a) She waters a pot of marigolds.
(b) She sees her father and her heart stands still.
(c) She sees a rat and screams.
(d) She shoots the horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
2. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
3. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
4. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
5. What does Beatrice hold over Nanny's head?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)