|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
(b) Mr. Goodman.
2. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Set off firecrackers.
(c) Boat without a life jacket.
(d) Ride a horse backwards.
3. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
(a) Chloroform it.
(b) Dress it up in baby clothes.
(c) Put lipstick on it.
(d) Put it on a leash and take it for a walk.
4. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
5. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
(a) "I had more nerve than a bear."
(b) "I hated my father."
(c) "I spent all of my time with my mother."
(d) I was a shy as a church mouse."
6. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
(a) She flings her glass on the floor.
(b) She jumps onto the dining table and does a cheer.
(c) She jumps on a horse and rides into town.
(d) She throws her cigarettes into the trash.
7. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
(a) He was cruel and abusive.
(b) He made up for all the other men in the world.
(c) He smoked like a chimney.
(d) He grew prize-winning marigolds.
8. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(a) Mr. Goodman.
(b) Dr. Berg.
9. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
(b) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
(c) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
(d) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
10. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
(a) "Nothing compares to a quality education."
(b) "I always knew Nanny would die in this house."
(c) "You deserve a great big hug!"
(d) "Well, I want you to do something around here."
11. Who does Beatrice receive a phone call from in Act 1?
(a) Mr. Goodman.
(b) Janice Vickery.
12. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Jealousy and anger.
(b) Pride and enthusiasm.
(c) Scorn and disrespect.
(d) Fear and loathing.
13. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
(a) She is worried and nervous because Nanny's health is on the decline.
(b) She is delighted and enthusiastic because she cannot wait to show her pride for her daughter.
(c) She is angry and agitated because she does not want to go on stage without appropriate clothes.
(d) She is shocked and saddened because she does not know how to solve her daughter's problems.
14. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
15. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
2. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
3. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
4. What substance does Nanny spill?
5. Nanny is best described as:
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)