|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Pride and enthusiasm.
(b) Fear and loathing.
(c) Scorn and disrespect.
(d) Jealousy and anger.
2. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
(a) Nanny is a boarder whom Beatrice cares for.
(b) Nanny is Beatrice's mother-in-law.
(c) Nanny is Beatrice's mother.
(d) Nanny is the live-in maid.
3. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
4. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
(a) She fears that Tillie and Ruth will never forgive her.
(b) She fears that there is nothing left for her in life.
(c) She fears that Nanny will pour a pot of boiling water on her head.
(d) She fears she will never get over her fear of rats.
5. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
(a) Whiskey and water.
(b) A chocolate milkshake.
(c) Hot water and honey.
(d) Coffee with cream.
6. Beatrice is busy doing which of the following activities when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(a) Cooking dinner.
(b) A little housecleaning.
(c) Assisting Ruth with her homework.
(d) Planting marigolds.
7. What is Beatrice's last name?
8. Tillie recites the half-life of which of the following substances?
9. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
(b) Real estate listings.
(c) Teenage drinking.
(d) Elder abuse.
10. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
11. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
(b) To get her out of the house.
(c) To be sure that she was taken care of.
(d) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
12. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
(a) Ruth is failing all of her classes.
(b) Ruth is performing satisfactorily in her classes.
(c) Ruth is an A-student.
(d) Ruth used to be a C-student and is now a B-student.
13. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
(b) "I've come up with zero."
(c) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(d) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
14. What is the name of the lipstick that Ruth borrows from Beatrice?
(a) Drama Queen.
(b) Drop Dead Diva.
(c) Daisy Lips.
(d) Devil's Kiss.
15. What kind of model does Tillie present in school?
(a) A model of a vegetable farm.
(b) A model of a house.
(c) A model of an atom.
(d) A model of a swimming pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice hold over Nanny's head?
2. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
3. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
4. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
5. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)