|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(a) Iced tea.
2. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
(b) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
(c) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
(d) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
3. Who does Beatrice receive a phone call from in Act 1?
(b) Mr. Goodman.
(d) Janice Vickery.
4. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
(b) Iced tea.
5. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
(c) Mr. Goodman.
6. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Tillie's absence from school.
(b) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
(c) The horses were let out of the stable.
(d) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
7. What kind of model does Tillie present in school?
(a) A model of a house.
(b) A model of a vegetable farm.
(c) A model of an atom.
(d) A model of a swimming pool.
8. Which of the following conditions did Beatrice's former husband suffer with?
9. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
(b) To be sure that she was taken care of.
(c) To get her out of the house.
(d) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
10. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
(b) Flower pots.
(c) Newspapers and junk.
11. What kind of school project is Tillie working on in Act 1?
(a) A science project.
(b) A language arts project.
(c) A social studies project.
(d) A music project.
12. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(b) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(c) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(d) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
13. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
14. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A family farm.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A concentration camp.
(d) A three-ring circus.
15. According to Beatrice, the " manure machine" is what kind of animal?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A horse.
(d) A ferret.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
2. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
3. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
4. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
5. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)