|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that Tillie and Ruth are misfits?
(a) Dr. Berg.
(b) Miss Torgersen.
2. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
(b) Flower pots.
(d) Newspapers and junk.
3. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(a) Mr. Goodman.
(b) Dr. Berg.
4. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(b) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(c) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(d) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
5. Which of the following statements does Beatrice make about her father?
(a) He made up for all the other men in the world.
(b) He smoked like a chimney.
(c) He was cruel and abusive.
(d) He grew prize-winning marigolds.
6. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
(a) A man who lived with Beatrice and had worms in his legs.
(b) A teacher who inspired Tillie to study horticulture.
(c) A horse jockey who died in an accident on the track.
(d) A scientist who invented growth hormones for marigolds.
7. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
(c) Iced tea..
(d) Cough syrup.
8. Who does Beatrice receive a phone call from in Act 1?
(a) Janice Vickery.
(d) Mr. Goodman.
9. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
(a) Whiskey and water.
(b) Coffee with cream.
(c) A chocolate milkshake.
(d) Hot water and honey.
10. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
(b) The horses were let out of the stable.
(c) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
(d) Tillie's absence from school.
11. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
(a) "Mother, Nanny is choking."
(b) "Mother, I sprained my ankle in gym today."
(c) "Mother, they want me to do something at school."
(d) "Mother, I am dropping out of school."
12. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
(d) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
13. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She is the prettiest girl.
(b) She hardly says a word.
(c) She is half a test tube.
(d) She isn't a pretty girl.
14. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
(c) Iced tea.
15. When the scream is heard from upstairs, what sound accompanies it?
(a) An ambulance siren.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) A person whistling.
(d) Crashes of thunder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following conditions did Beatrice's former husband suffer with?
2. What does Beatrice hold over Nanny's head?
3. Beatrice is busy doing which of the following activities when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
4. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
5. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)