|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
(b) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
(c) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
(d) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
2. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
(a) She fears that Tillie and Ruth will never forgive her.
(b) She fears that Nanny will pour a pot of boiling water on her head.
(c) She fears that there is nothing left for her in life.
(d) She fears she will never get over her fear of rats.
3. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
4. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
(a) A swimming pool.
(b) A field of marigolds.
(c) A school gymnasium.
(d) A dark room of wood.
5. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
(a) She shoots the horses.
(b) She sees a rat and screams.
(c) She waters a pot of marigolds.
(d) She sees her father and her heart stands still.
6. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
7. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
8. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
(a) Planting marigolds.
(b) Feeding Nanny her breakfast.
(c) Applying lipstick.
(d) Grooming a horse.
9. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(b) Dr. Berg.
(c) Mr. Goodman.
10. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
(d) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
11. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
(a) Ruth is an A-student.
(b) Ruth is failing all of her classes.
(c) Ruth is performing satisfactorily in her classes.
(d) Ruth used to be a C-student and is now a B-student.
12. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
(b) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
(c) The horses were let out of the stable.
(d) Tillie's absence from school.
13. According to Beatrice, the " manure machine" is what kind of animal?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A horse.
14. Tillie's marigold seeds have been exposed to which of the following substances?
15. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
(a) Miss Hanley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
2. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
3. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
4. What kind of animal is kept in the wire cage in the front left room?
5. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)