|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
(a) She is delighted and enthusiastic because she cannot wait to show her pride for her daughter.
(b) She is worried and nervous because Nanny's health is on the decline.
(c) She is shocked and saddened because she does not know how to solve her daughter's problems.
(d) She is angry and agitated because she does not want to go on stage without appropriate clothes.
2. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
(a) A bathing suit.
(b) Jean overalls.
(c) A bathrobe.
(d) An evening gown.
3. According to Beatrice, the " manure machine" is what kind of animal?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A horse.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A puppy.
4. What does Beatrice ask Tillie to get rid of in the final scene in Act 1?
(a) The whiskey and the cigarettes.
(b) The horses and the rats.
(c) The rabbit and the marigolds.
(d) The flashlight and the candles.
5. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
6. What special job does Ruth hold at school?
(a) She is a tutor to students who are struggling in mathematics.
(b) She puts the flag up on the flag pole each morning.
(c) She takes care of keeping records on student attendance for the science office.
(d) She is the editor of the school newspaper.
7. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A nursing home.
(b) A three-ring circus.
(c) A family farm.
(d) A concentration camp.
8. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
(b) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(c) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
(d) "I've come up with zero."
9. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
(a) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been selected as a finalist in the science fair.
(b) Ruth exclaims that Tillie made a huge fool of herself in the school cafeteria.
(c) Ruth exclaims that Nanny has collapsed in her bedroom.
(d) Ruth exclaims that Tillie has been expelled from school.
10. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(b) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(c) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
(d) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
11. Which of the following conditions did Beatrice's former husband suffer with?
12. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
13. Why is Ruth upset with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) She feels that Beatrice should be proud of Tillie for her accomplishment.
(b) She feels that Beatrice should have taken better care of Nanny.
(c) She feels that Beatrice's second-hand smoke has already done significant damage to the family members.
(d) She feels that Beatrice has always favored Tillie.
14. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
(a) To Beatrice's room.
(b) To the barn.
(c) To Tillie's room.
(d) To Nanny's room.
15. Of the following objects, which are NOT included in the description of the setting in Act 1?
(d) Cell phones.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
2. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
3. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
4. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
5. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)