|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
(a) "I hated my father."
(b) "I spent all of my time with my mother."
(c) I was a shy as a church mouse."
(d) "I had more nerve than a bear."
2. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
3. Who is the first character introduced in the play?
(b) Janice Vickery.
(c) Mr. Goodman.
4. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
(a) She is angry and agitated because she does not want to go on stage without appropriate clothes.
(b) She is worried and nervous because Nanny's health is on the decline.
(c) She is shocked and saddened because she does not know how to solve her daughter's problems.
(d) She is delighted and enthusiastic because she cannot wait to show her pride for her daughter.
5. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
(d) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
6. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A pair of eyeglasses.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A handbag.
7. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
(a) The person demands that Nanny be taken to the hospital immediately.
(b) The person complains about the smell of manure coming from the barn.
(c) The person asks her whether she knows what a mutation is.
(d) The person tells her that the real estate course is no longer offered.
8. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(c) Iced tea.
9. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
(a) Chloroform it.
(b) Dress it up in baby clothes.
(c) Put it on a leash and take it for a walk.
(d) Put lipstick on it.
10. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
(a) She fears that there is nothing left for her in life.
(b) She fears that Nanny will pour a pot of boiling water on her head.
(c) She fears that Tillie and Ruth will never forgive her.
(d) She fears she will never get over her fear of rats.
11. What is one of the "exciting duties" that Beatrice says she would like Tillie to perform?
(a) Assist Nanny with her breakfast.
(b) Clean up animal waste.
(c) Groom the horses.
(d) Water the marigolds.
12. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(b) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(c) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(d) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
13. Tillie's classmates laugh at her at which of the following school events?
(a) A school play.
(b) A soccer game.
(c) A pep rally.
(d) A science assembly.
14. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She is half a test tube.
(b) She isn't a pretty girl.
(c) She hardly says a word.
(d) She is the prettiest girl.
15. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
(a) Her sister needed her.
(b) Her legs hurt.
(c) Her skull was growing.
(d) Her lipstick had rubbed off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
2. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
3. Nanny is also described as:
4. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
5. Who is the person screaming upstairs after Beatrice places a phone call in Act 1?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)