|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
2. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
(a) She jumps onto the dining table and does a cheer.
(b) She throws her cigarettes into the trash.
(c) She flings her glass on the floor.
(d) She jumps on a horse and rides into town.
3. What does Beatrice ask Tillie to get rid of in the final scene in Act 1?
(a) The flashlight and the candles.
(b) The horses and the rats.
(c) The rabbit and the marigolds.
(d) The whiskey and the cigarettes.
4. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Ride a horse backwards.
(c) Boat without a life jacket.
(d) Set off firecrackers.
5. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
(b) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
(c) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
(d) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
6. What is Beatrice's last name?
7. What object does Beatrice forget to provide to Nanny?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A shovel.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A pair of eyeglasses.
8. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
(a) A chocolate milkshake.
(b) Coffee with cream.
(c) Whiskey and water.
(d) Hot water and honey.
9. When the scream is heard from upstairs, what sound accompanies it?
(a) A person whistling.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) Crashes of thunder.
(d) An ambulance siren.
10. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
(c) Cough syrup.
(d) Iced tea..
11. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
(a) "That is the scariest dream I've ever heard."
(b) "That is the funniest nightmare I've ever heard."
(c) "That doesn't sound like a walk in the park."
(d) "That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me."
12. Who does Beatrice receive a phone call from in Act 1?
(b) Mr. Goodman.
(d) Janice Vickery.
13. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(b) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
(c) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
(d) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
14. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
(a) She waters a pot of marigolds.
(b) She sees her father and her heart stands still.
(c) She sees a rat and screams.
(d) She shoots the horses.
15. Why did Beatrice's father want her to get married?
(a) To get her out of the house.
(b) To be sure that she was taken care of.
(c) To avoid the embarrassment of her being single and pregnant.
(d) To win a bet he had made with Nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
2. Beatrice is busy doing which of the following activities when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
3. What does Beatrice read about in the newspaper?
4. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
5. Ruth has one of the following problems:
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)