|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
(a) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she planted her first marigold garden.
(b) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when she stole a wagon from her father.
(c) Beatrice tells Ruth the story of when her father taught her how to drive a car.
(d) Beatrice tells the story of when she and Nanny stole a rabbit from a pet shop.
2. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Pride and enthusiasm.
(b) Fear and loathing.
(c) Jealousy and anger.
(d) Scorn and disrespect.
3. What is Beatrice's last name?
4. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
5. Tillie's classmates laugh at her at which of the following school events?
(a) A science assembly.
(b) A pep rally.
(c) A soccer game.
(d) A school play.
6. Ruth has one of the following problems:
(a) She is unable to read.
(b) She has frequent nightmares.
(c) She has severe leg pain.
(d) She has an eating disorder.
7. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
(a) Iced tea.
8. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
(a) Ruth used to be a C-student and is now a B-student.
(b) Ruth is performing satisfactorily in her classes.
(c) Ruth is failing all of her classes.
(d) Ruth is an A-student.
9. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
(b) Newspapers and junk.
(d) Flower pots.
10. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
(b) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
(c) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
(d) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
11. Ruth asks Beatrice to tell her a story, but requests that she leave out one part. What is the part of the story that she does not want to hear about?
(a) She does not want to hear the part about horses being shot.
(b) She does not want to hear the part about her father having a heart attack.
(c) She does not want to hear the part about the radioactive marigolds.
(d) She does not want to hear the part about rats in the basement.
12. Beatrice states that she wishes she had completed her education in which of the following fields?
(d) Real estate.
13. Why is Beatrice annoyed with the person to whom she places a telephone call in Act 1?
(a) The person tells her that the real estate course is no longer offered.
(b) The person demands that Nanny be taken to the hospital immediately.
(c) The person complains about the smell of manure coming from the barn.
(d) The person asks her whether she knows what a mutation is.
14. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
(a) "You deserve a great big hug!"
(b) "Nothing compares to a quality education."
(c) "Well, I want you to do something around here."
(d) "I always knew Nanny would die in this house."
15. What kind of model does Tillie present in school?
(a) A model of a vegetable farm.
(b) A model of an atom.
(c) A model of a house.
(d) A model of a swimming pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
2. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
3. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
4. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
5. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)