|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
(a) A chocolate milkshake.
(b) Coffee with cream.
(c) Whiskey and water.
(d) Hot water and honey.
2. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
(a) A teacher who inspired Tillie to study horticulture.
(b) A scientist who invented growth hormones for marigolds.
(c) A man who lived with Beatrice and had worms in his legs.
(d) A horse jockey who died in an accident on the track.
3. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She is the prettiest girl.
(b) She hardly says a word.
(c) She isn't a pretty girl.
(d) She is half a test tube.
4. What is the "beautiful word" that Tillie speaks of in her opening monologue?
5. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(b) Mr. Goodman.
(c) Dr. Berg.
6. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
(b) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
(c) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
(d) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
7. What kind of model does Tillie present in school?
(a) A model of a vegetable farm.
(b) A model of a house.
(c) A model of a swimming pool.
(d) A model of an atom.
8. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
(a) She fears that there is nothing left for her in life.
(b) She fears that Tillie and Ruth will never forgive her.
(c) She fears she will never get over her fear of rats.
(d) She fears that Nanny will pour a pot of boiling water on her head.
9. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
10. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
11. Who is the person screaming upstairs after Beatrice places a phone call in Act 1?
(b) Mr. Goodman.
(d) Miss Torgersen.
12. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
(a) Equestrian clothing.
(c) A lovely gown with jewels all over it.
(d) A swimsuit.
13. What is Beatrice wearing when she makes her entrance in Act 1?
(a) An evening gown.
(b) A bathrobe.
(c) Jean overalls.
(d) A bathing suit.
14. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
15. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
Short Answer Questions
1. Nanny is also described as:
2. Why is Ruth upset with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
3. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
4. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
5. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)