|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard feel about C.'s coming home in tears?
2. What do Richard and Harold Plover discuss in section VIII?
3. What caused C. to come home in tears when she lived with Richard in the Netherlands?
4. What does Richard realize about the things he could teach Helen?
5. Whom does Richard invite out for coffee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does a conception of evil come from, and how did Richard learn it? Does he effectively teach it to Helen?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Lentz driven to cut into Helen, and why is Richard ultimately resigned to allow him to? Why do men have to kill, or at least pry into, the things they create and come to love?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)