|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was C. different in the Netherlands than she was in the U.S.?
2. What does Lentz recommend Richard teach to Helen?
3. What were Richard's thoughts about having children when he was with C.?
4. Though he finds it easier to talk to Helen, whom does Richard want to talk to instead?
5. What story is Helen able to decipher when Richard reads it to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of "Galatea 2.2". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Helen ultimately shuts herself down because she is not adjusted to the real world, just the world of literature and Richard's personality. To what extent is this an allegory for machines and even for modern human culture? Are people today in the same position as Helen?
Essay Topic 3
As Richard recalls his time with C., he also makes advances toward Diana and A. If "Galatea 2.2" is a book about getting over a lover, what does Richard Powers suggest as the best method? Does he ultimately WANT to get over C.?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)