|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard realize about the things he could teach Helen?
2. What does Richard begin to appreciate as he continues to work with Helen?
3. What does Helen make Richard see about consciousness?
4. What is C's response as Richard buries himself in his work?
5. Whom does Richard invite out for coffee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard and Helen are both creatures (in addition to the author) who live by making things with words. What are the advantages of creating worlds with words, and what are the disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
How are Richard's and Helen's experiences parallel, insofar as Richard struggled with Dutch, and struggled to find a language he and C. could speak together in their relationship, and Helen struggles to generate analysis of literature? How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
When Richard meets Lentz, Lentz is experimenting with machines that can recognize beautiful music, and Helen ultimately requests music and poetry from Richard. Are Richard and Lentz asking the machines to do two different things, or are music and poetry treated as the same project?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)