|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did C's letters to Richard contain?
2. What is Richard's role in Philip Lentz's project?
3. In what did C. try to get a certificate?
4. Whom does Richard invite out for coffee?
5. Though he finds it easier to talk to Helen, whom does Richard want to talk to instead?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lentz driven to cut into Helen, and why is Richard ultimately resigned to allow him to? Why do men have to kill, or at least pry into, the things they create and come to love?
Essay Topic 2
Helen ultimately shuts herself down because she is not adjusted to the real world, just the world of literature and Richard's personality. To what extent is this an allegory for machines and even for modern human culture? Are people today in the same position as Helen?
Essay Topic 3
Where does a conception of evil come from, and how did Richard learn it? Does he effectively teach it to Helen?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)