|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard begin to appreciate as he continues to work with Helen?
2. What story is Helen able to decipher when Richard reads it to her?
3. What does Richard realize Helen is able to distinguish?
4. What is the consequence of C.'s response to Richard's work?
5. What does Richard tell Philip Lentz about Helen in section X?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Richard meets Lentz, Lentz is experimenting with machines that can recognize beautiful music, and Helen ultimately requests music and poetry from Richard. Are Richard and Lentz asking the machines to do two different things, or are music and poetry treated as the same project?
Essay Topic 2
Where does a conception of evil come from, and how did Richard learn it? Does he effectively teach it to Helen?
Essay Topic 3
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)