|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diana call Richard's book?
2. Where did Richard and C. live in the Netherlands?
3. What caused C. to come home in tears when she lived with Richard in the Netherlands?
4. What story is Helen able to decipher when Richard reads it to her?
5. In what did C. try to get a certificate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Helen ultimately shuts herself down because she is not adjusted to the real world, just the world of literature and Richard's personality. To what extent is this an allegory for machines and even for modern human culture? Are people today in the same position as Helen?
Essay Topic 3
To what degree is this book internally consistent? How much does it follow the rules it lays out?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)