|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Diana?
(a) Philip Lentz's research assistant.
(b) Philip Lentz's lover.
(c) The person answering the questions for implementation C.
(d) Richard's lover.
2. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
(a) Whether a person can comprehend the full extent of his or her reading.
(b) What kind of progress remains to be made in astrophysics.
(c) Whether a machine could read philosophy.
(d) When the global economy will collapse.
3. Why does C. not join Richard in his plans?
(a) She just was accepted into a graduate program.
(b) She does not trust him.
(c) She does not have enough money to come with him.
(d) She is involved with someone.
4. Of what does Richard say he is afraid?
(a) Wasting his opportunities.
(b) Losing his savings.
(c) Failing in his writing.
(d) Realizing his dreams.
5. How does Diana apologize to Richard?
(a) She invites him to lunch.
(b) She writes him a long note.
(c) She buys him a bottle of Scotch.
(d) She breaks with Lentz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diana invite Richard to after chastising him?
2. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
3. What is implementation A?
4. With what does Philip Lentz want to test implementation B?
5. What does Richard say was a mother's consolation prize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard receive in the mail in the beginning of section II?
2. What does Richard feel about participating in Lentz's project?
3. What are Richard's feelings about Diana Hartrick's children?
4. What is the setting of "Galatea 2.2"?
5. Describe Richard's circumstances when he first met C.
6. What is Richard's reaction as he starts to spend time on Lentz's project?
7. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
8. How does Lentz trick Richard in Section V?
9. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
10. What is C.'s relationship with Richard's work while he is in the Netherlands?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)