|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of research is Philip Lentz conducting?
(a) Making a mathematical model for consciousness.
(b) Teaching semiconductors to simulate neurons.
(c) Experimenting with sound waves.
(d) Building a computer for handling extremely large calculations.
2. How does Richard describe his relationship with C.?
(a) They were alone in each other's company.
(b) They became each other's best friends and worst enemies.
(c) They never really connected.
(d) They merged into being one person.
3. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
(a) That it was more important than anything she was doing.
(b) That it was turning her into a character of his.
(c) That it was more real than he was.
(d) That it was taking him away from her.
4. What is implementation A?
(a) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
(b) A robot.
(c) A recording device for unheard sounds.
(d) A machine that can be conditioned.
5. What does Diana invite Richard to after chastising him?
(a) A walk in the woods.
(b) A bar.
(c) The theatre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
2. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
3. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
4. What is Richard doing at the beginning of section IV?
5. What is Richard having difficulty with in the present moment, in the beginning of section II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Taylor's death and its importance to Richard.
2. What does Diana Hartrick tell Richard at lunch?
3. What are Philip Lentz and Diana Hartrick discussing when Richard sees them at the campus bar?
4. How does Richard begin to see his relationship with C. now that he has space from it?
5. How do Richard and Lentz differ in their approaches to the project?
6. What does Richard notice during his first lunch with Lentz and the other researchers?
7. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
8. What does Richard say about writing students in general?
9. Why does Lentz not cut into Helen?
10. Describe Richard's circumstances when he first met C.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)