|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Richard with C.?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 22 years.
(d) 2 years.
2. Why does Richard not take the position he is offered?
(a) He wants to stay with C.
(b) He wants to travel.
(c) He has to stay with his sick mother.
(d) He wants to explore other options.
3. What is implementation A?
(a) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
(b) A machine that can be conditioned.
(c) A recording device for unheard sounds.
(d) A robot.
4. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
(a) He thinks that a computer will never know happiness until it can experience alienation.
(b) He knows that he was happy once.
(c) He cannot tell whether he was happy in the past.
(d) He does not think a computer will ever know happiness.
5. What was Richard's job when he lived with C.?
(a) Tour guide.
(d) Museum guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ram Gupta?
2. To what do Richard's attempts at conversation lead him?
3. How does Richard describe his relationship with C.?
4. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
5. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard say he was originally attracted to C.?
2. Describe C.'s experience in her certificate program and its effect on her relationship with Richard.
3. What kind of response does Richard find himself getting from Helen in Section VIII?
4. Describe the difference between Richard and C.'s letters to each other when C. goes to Europe ahead of Richard.
5. What does Richard think about the lecture Lentz gives?
6. What does Richard remember about meeting C., in section II?
7. What is Richard's reaction when he finds out that Lentz has tricked him with implementation C?
8. What does Richard notice during his first lunch with Lentz and the other researchers?
9. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
10. What leads Helen to say that she does not "want to play anymore"?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)