|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard find when he accepts Diana's invitation?
(a) She has children.
(b) She has a crush on him.
(c) She wants to tell him secrets about Philip Lentz.
(d) She wants to spend time with him alone.
2. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
(a) He cannot forget the hurt feelings felt by the people Lentz insults.
(b) He is terrified by the fragility of the current peace.
(c) He is concerned that the others' research is overlooking one vital principle.
(d) He is afraid for the state of modern science.
3. Where is Richard taking a position?
(a) At the Los Alamos lab.
(b) At the Museum of Natural Science.
(c) At Fermilab.
(d) At the Center for the Study of Advanced Sciences.
4. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
(a) To tell the administration at the center about Lentz's deceit.
(b) Not to let Lentz handle money.
(c) Never to trust Lentz again.
(d) Not to work on Lentz's project any further.
5. Of what does Richard say he is afraid?
(a) Losing his savings.
(b) Realizing his dreams.
(c) Wasting his opportunities.
(d) Failing in his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
2. Why has this person come to talk to Richard in Section II?
3. What kind of research is Philip Lentz conducting?
4. Who does Philip Lentz call in to watch his experiment with implementation B?
5. What does Richard suggest to Philip Lentz as a result of his conversation with Diana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Philip Lentz and Richard.
2. What leads Helen to say that she does not "want to play anymore"?
3. Describe Richard's progress on his new book.
4. Describe the difference between Richard and C.'s letters to each other when C. goes to Europe ahead of Richard.
5. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
6. Why does Helen ultimately shut herself down?
7. What does Helen start to want to see images of?
8. What does Richard say about writing students in general?
9. What were Richard's first few months in the Netherlands like with C.?
10. How does Lentz trick Richard in Section V?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)