|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is implementation A?
(a) A robot.
(b) A recording device for unheard sounds.
(c) A machine that can be conditioned.
(d) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
2. Where did Richard meet C.?
(a) By chance in a bookstore.
(b) In a class he was teaching.
(c) In a class she was teaching.
(d) At a conference where she was speaking.
3. What does Richard see in the photograph of Philip Lentz and his wife?
(a) Profound love.
4. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
(a) He is afraid for the state of modern science.
(b) He cannot forget the hurt feelings felt by the people Lentz insults.
(c) He is concerned that the others' research is overlooking one vital principle.
(d) He is terrified by the fragility of the current peace.
5. What is the connection in the articles Philip Lentz gives Richard?
(a) Ecological interconnection.
(b) Destabilization of currencies.
(c) Climate change.
(d) Neural nets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard worried about after his lunch with Philip Lentz and the others?
2. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
3. Where does Richard try to draw stories out of people?
4. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
5. What does Richard suggest to Philip Lentz as a result of his conversation with Diana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
2. Why was the fact of C.'s parents moving to Limburg a crisis for Richard and C.?
3. What work do Richard and Lentz begin together?
4. What made C. appealing to Richard when he met her?
5. What does Richard feel about participating in Lentz's project?
6. What does Richard see in Lentz's office?
7. What does Richard notice during his first lunch with Lentz and the other researchers?
8. What does Lentz do when Richard asks him about his wife?
9. Describe the relationship between Philip Lentz and Richard.
10. What limitations does Richard come up against in Helen?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)