|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is implementation A?
(a) A robot.
(b) A machine that can be conditioned.
(c) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
(d) A recording device for unheard sounds.
2. How does Richard describe his relationship with C.?
(a) They became each other's best friends and worst enemies.
(b) They merged into being one person.
(c) They were alone in each other's company.
(d) They never really connected.
3. What does Richard conclude about Lentz's feelings about working together?
(a) That he wants to get help but take all the credit.
(b) That he wants to work alone.
(c) That he wants Richard to stay on the project.
(d) That he wants to push Richard away from the project.
4. What does Philip Lentz lead Richard to believe?
(a) That implementation B was a failure.
(b) That implementation C had made huge strides.
(c) That he was giving Richard credit for implementation C's advances.
(d) That C. was trying to get in touch with him.
5. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
(b) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
(c) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
(d) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard working on at this new appointment?
2. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
3. What mistake does Diana say Philip Lentz is making in his project?
4. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
5. Why does Richard not take the position he is offered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lentz do when Richard asks him about his wife?
2. Describe Richard's progress on his new book.
3. What were Richard's thoughts about getting married when he was with C.?
4. What was happening with Richard and C. at the time that Richard published his first book?
5. Why was the fact of C.'s parents moving to Limburg a crisis for Richard and C.?
6. What are Richard's feelings about Diana Hartrick's children?
7. Describe Richard's circumstances when he first met C.
8. How does Richard Powers use flashbacks in his narrative?
9. Describe Richard's dinner with Diana Hartrick.
10. What does Richard feel about himself and about his writing while Lentz is redesigning implementation B?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)