|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
(a) Smoking too much.
(b) Drinking too much.
(c) Not eating.
(d) Not sleeping.
2. What does Richard attempt to do as he settles in to his new home?
(a) Get straight to work.
(b) Fade into anonymity.
(c) Listen to all the gossip around him.
(d) Introduce himself to everyone.
3. What was Richard admitted to after he parted with C.?
(a) A teaching job.
(b) A research position.
(c) A think tank.
(d) A Ph.D. program.
4. With whom does Richard have an encounter at the end of section IV?
(b) Philip Lentz.
(c) Implementation B.
5. How does Richard refer to Philip Lentz in their second meeting?
6. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
(b) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
(c) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
(d) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
7. What did Richard realize when C. heard that her parents were moving?
(a) That he loved her more than he had ever loved anyone.
(b) That she was dying.
(c) That she had a history she had hidden from him.
(d) That he did not know her well.
8. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
(a) Used furniture.
(b) Dilapidated furniture.
(c) Inherited furniture.
(d) Expensive new furniture.
9. To what do Richard's attempts at conversation lead him?
(a) Alarming thoughts about the ignorance of college students.
(b) Depressing thoughts about old age.
(c) Disturbing thoughts about the state of the world.
(d) Soothing thoughts about getting wiser over time.
10. What does time with Diana make Richard think back to about his time with C.?
(a) C. wanting children.
(b) C. flirting with another man.
(c) C. longing for anonymity after his book came out.
(d) C. going away to work with another researcher.
11. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
(a) Naturally-occurring architectural structures.
(b) Evolutionary mechanisms of survival.
(c) The functions of the human mind.
(d) Astronomical distances.
12. To what does Diana Hartrick invite Richard?
(a) A lecture.
(b) A drink.
(d) A weekend away.
13. What is Philip Lentz starting to use as he works on implementation B?
(a) Teaching it to find information.
(b) 'No' commands.
(c) Additional memory.
(d) Additional processing power.
14. What does Richard think about Diana's part in Philip Lentz's work?
(a) He suspects that she is doing all the hard work for Lentz.
(b) He is saddened to see Diana put up with Lentz's rough personality.
(c) He feels betrayed by her duplicity.
(d) He is delighted for the opportunity Diana has.
15. How long was Richard with C.?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 22 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is implementation A?
2. Why does Richard not take the position he is offered?
3. What does C. get in the mail that drags her spirits down?
4. Where did Richard meet C.?
5. What was C.'s job?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)