|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard think about after the scene of Philip Lentz's experiment?
(a) The text Lentz chose.
(b) His first year with C.
(c) The abilities of robots.
(d) The sadness of being human.
2. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
(a) Not eating.
(b) Drinking too much.
(c) Smoking too much.
(d) Not sleeping.
3. Where did Richard live with C.?
(a) In B.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In London.
(d) In U.
4. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
(a) When the global economy will collapse.
(b) Whether a person can comprehend the full extent of his or her reading.
(c) Whether a machine could read philosophy.
(d) What kind of progress remains to be made in astrophysics.
5. What does Richard do at his office night?
(c) Wander the halls.
6. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
(a) That it was turning her into a character of his.
(b) That it was more real than he was.
(c) That it was more important than anything she was doing.
(d) That it was taking him away from her.
7. What is Richard working on at this new appointment?
(a) A new book.
(b) Developing a scientific model of consciousness.
(c) Building a robot.
(d) Building a supercomputer.
8. How does Richard act on his decision?
(a) He reports Lentz's behavior to the Center.
(b) He tells everyone about Lentz's deceit.
(c) He joins Lentz nonetheless.
(d) He holds his tongue.
9. What does Richard say was a mother's consolation prize?
(a) E's emigration to the U.S.
(b) C's birth.
(c) V's marriage.
(d) U's education.
10. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
(a) C. got pregnant.
(b) C. received a promotion.
(c) C. moved back to live with her parents.
(d) C. heard that her parents were moving.
11. What does Richard say about the machine Philip Lentz built?
(a) Lentz was training it to recognize beauty.
(b) It recognizes him when he returns to the room.
(c) It replicates consciousness.
(d) It contained the immense distances of open space.
12. How long was Richard with C.?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 22 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 10 years.
13. Whom does Richard end up talking with, mostly?
(c) Old people.
(d) Young people.
14. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
(a) His lovers and their time together.
(b) His family.
(c) His ex-lovers' families.
(d) His family history.
15. What got Richard this position?
(a) The brilliance of his lectures.
(b) A friend with connections.
(c) The renown of his Pulitzer Prize.
(d) The notoriety of his most recent book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What draws Richard to Philip Lentz's office?
2. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
3. What was C.'s job?
4. What does Philip Lentz lead Richard to believe?
5. Who is Diana?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)