|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philip Lentz's tirade make Richard think of _____.
2. Who is Ram Gupta?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A cognitive psychologist.
(c) A sound wave researcher.
(d) A perception researcher.
3. What was Richard's job when he lived with C.?
(b) Tour guide.
(d) Museum guard.
4. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
(a) Evolutionary mechanisms of survival.
(b) The functions of the human mind.
(c) Astronomical distances.
(d) Naturally-occurring architectural structures.
5. Where did Richard live with C.?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In U.
(c) In B.
(d) In London.
6. To what does Diana Hartrick invite Richard?
(a) A lecture.
(b) A drink.
(d) A weekend away.
7. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
(a) He cannot forget the hurt feelings felt by the people Lentz insults.
(b) He is terrified by the fragility of the current peace.
(c) He is concerned that the others' research is overlooking one vital principle.
(d) He is afraid for the state of modern science.
8. Why does Richard not take the position he is offered?
(a) He wants to stay with C.
(b) He wants to explore other options.
(c) He has to stay with his sick mother.
(d) He wants to travel.
9. What change does Philip Lentz make in implementation B?
(a) An increase in interconnections.
(b) A decrease in retention ability.
(c) An increase in retention ability.
(d) An increase in processor speeds.
10. What kind of research is Philip Lentz conducting?
(a) Experimenting with sound waves.
(b) Making a mathematical model for consciousness.
(c) Building a computer for handling extremely large calculations.
(d) Teaching semiconductors to simulate neurons.
11. What does Richard finish in the beginning of section II?
(a) His novel.
(b) A proposal for his next novel.
(c) A letter to C.
(d) Press materials for his current novel.
12. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
(a) A powerful intellectual center.
(b) The center of the world.
(c) An obscure colony.
(d) A negligible nation.
13. What does Philip Lentz say about implementation B?
(a) It needs to process its processing.
(b) It needs to write its own programs.
(c) It needs to find its own energy sources.
(d) It needs to be able to teach itself how to solve problems.
14. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
(a) His family.
(b) His family history.
(c) His ex-lovers' families.
(d) His lovers and their time together.
15. What is Richard worried about after his lunch with Philip Lentz and the others?
(a) Economic collapse.
(b) Imminent political instability.
(c) Science stagnating.
(d) His project failing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think about Diana's part in Philip Lentz's work?
2. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
3. What is the first step in back propagation?
4. How does Philip Lentz refer to Richard in their second meeting?
5. What was Richard admitted to after he parted with C.?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)