|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
(a) A negligible nation.
(b) An obscure colony.
(c) A powerful intellectual center.
(d) The center of the world.
2. What does Richard do at his office night?
(a) Wander the halls.
3. Who does Philip Lentz call in to watch his experiment with implementation B?
(a) Ram Gupta.
(c) Diana Hartrick.
(d) Harold Plover.
4. Where did Richard live with C.?
(a) In London.
(b) In U.
(c) In B.
(d) In Paris.
5. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
(a) His family history.
(b) His family.
(c) His ex-lovers' families.
(d) His lovers and their time together.
6. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
(b) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
(c) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
(d) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
7. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
(a) Not to work on Lentz's project any further.
(b) To tell the administration at the center about Lentz's deceit.
(c) Never to trust Lentz again.
(d) Not to let Lentz handle money.
8. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
(a) When the global economy will collapse.
(b) What kind of progress remains to be made in astrophysics.
(c) Whether a machine could read philosophy.
(d) Whether a person can comprehend the full extent of his or her reading.
9. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
(a) As variously weighted.
(b) As disciplined.
(c) As democratic.
(d) As lifelike.
10. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
(a) Meeting C.
(b) Making love with Diana Hartrick.
(c) Going home for dinner.
(d) Making love with C.
11. What causes Richard to threaten to leave Philip Lentz's project?
(a) Lentz's drinking.
(b) Problems with its theoretical foundations.
(c) Lentz's cynicism.
(d) Lentz's sexism.
12. What did C. feel when her family told her that they were moving?
13. What was Richard's job when he lived with C.?
(b) Tour guide.
(c) Museum guard.
14. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
(a) He explains at length.
(b) He jumps out of his seat with a realization.
(c) He insults her.
(d) He agrees that she has a valid point.
15. What did Richard say he got from C.?
(a) Emotional support.
(d) Material for his novels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard say about the machine Philip Lentz built?
2. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
3. Which literary term describes the story about C.?
4. What is Richard doing at the beginning of section IV?
5. How does Diana apologize to Richard?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)