|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was C.'s reaction to Richard's storytelling?
(a) She was enthusiastic and collaborated with him as he told the stories.
(b) She was patient but uninterested.
(c) She was rapt.
(d) She pretended to be interested.
2. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
(a) He thinks that a computer will never know happiness until it can experience alienation.
(b) He does not think a computer will ever know happiness.
(c) He cannot tell whether he was happy in the past.
(d) He knows that he was happy once.
3. What does Richard see in the photograph of Philip Lentz and his wife?
(c) Profound love.
4. What did Richard say he got from C.?
(a) Material for his novels.
(b) Emotional support.
5. How does Richard act on his decision?
(a) He reports Lentz's behavior to the Center.
(b) He joins Lentz nonetheless.
(c) He holds his tongue.
(d) He tells everyone about Lentz's deceit.
6. Why has this person come to talk to Richard in Section II?
(a) To support Philip Lentz's theories.
(b) To sooth his loneliness.
(c) To enlist him in arguing against Philip Lentz.
(d) To put Philip Lentz in his place.
7. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Six months.
8. Who is Diana?
(a) Richard's lover.
(b) Philip Lentz's research assistant.
(c) The person answering the questions for implementation C.
(d) Philip Lentz's lover.
9. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
(a) He confides in him.
(b) He insults him.
(c) He encourages him.
(d) He baits him.
10. What does Richard say was a mother's consolation prize?
(a) C's birth.
(b) E's emigration to the U.S.
(c) U's education.
(d) V's marriage.
11. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
(a) That it was taking him away from her.
(b) That it was turning her into a character of his.
(c) That it was more important than anything she was doing.
(d) That it was more real than he was.
12. What is Richard worried about after his lunch with Philip Lentz and the others?
(a) His project failing.
(b) Imminent political instability.
(c) Science stagnating.
(d) Economic collapse.
13. What is the connection in the articles Philip Lentz gives Richard?
(a) Neural nets.
(b) Ecological interconnection.
(c) Destabilization of currencies.
(d) Climate change.
14. What is implementation A?
(a) A machine that can be conditioned.
(b) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
(c) A robot.
(d) A recording device for unheard sounds.
15. How does Philip Lentz refer to Richard in their second meeting?
(d) Little Marcel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
2. To what does Richard compare implementation A?
3. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
4. What is the first step in back propagation?
5. Why does Richard not take the position he is offered?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)