|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does time with Diana make Richard think back to about his time with C.?
(a) C. longing for anonymity after his book came out.
(b) C. flirting with another man.
(c) C. going away to work with another researcher.
(d) C. wanting children.
2. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
(a) Not to work on Lentz's project any further.
(b) To tell the administration at the center about Lentz's deceit.
(c) Not to let Lentz handle money.
(d) Never to trust Lentz again.
3. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
(b) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
(c) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
(d) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
4. When does Richard recall parting with C.?
(a) At the end of the fall semester.
(b) At the end of the winter term.
(c) After Christmas.
(d) At the end of the summer.
5. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
(a) Dilapidated furniture.
(b) Inherited furniture.
(c) Used furniture.
(d) Expensive new furniture.
6. Who comes over to talk to Richard in Section II?
(a) Diana Hartrick.
(b) Philip Lentz.
7. How does Richard refer to Philip Lentz in their second meeting?
8. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
(a) Meeting C.
(b) Making love with C.
(c) Going home for dinner.
(d) Making love with Diana Hartrick.
9. What does Richard attempt to do as he settles in to his new home?
(a) Get straight to work.
(b) Introduce himself to everyone.
(c) Listen to all the gossip around him.
(d) Fade into anonymity.
10. What surprises Richard in his reaction to the time he spends with Diana?
(a) How passionate Diana is about her research.
(b) How easily he gets along with her children.
(c) How lonely he has become.
(d) How passionate he becomes.
11. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
(a) He insults him.
(b) He encourages him.
(c) He baits him.
(d) He confides in him.
12. What mistake does Diana say Philip Lentz is making in his project?
(a) Not giving his implementations visual input.
(b) Not modeling his implementations emotions.
(c) Not giving his implementations motivation to answer correctly.
(d) Not giving his implementations audio input.
13. What is implementation A?
(a) A recording device for unheard sounds.
(b) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
(c) A machine that can be conditioned.
(d) A robot.
14. What causes Richard to threaten to leave Philip Lentz's project?
(a) Lentz's sexism.
(b) Problems with its theoretical foundations.
(c) Lentz's drinking.
(d) Lentz's cynicism.
15. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
(a) He does not think a computer will ever know happiness.
(b) He thinks that a computer will never know happiness until it can experience alienation.
(c) He cannot tell whether he was happy in the past.
(d) He knows that he was happy once.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
2. Where does Richard see Philip Lentz?
3. What does C. get in the mail that drags her spirits down?
4. What happens during Philip Lentz's experiment?
5. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)