|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard's job when he lived with C.?
(a) Museum guard.
(b) Tour guide.
2. What is Philip Lentz starting to use as he works on implementation B?
(a) Teaching it to find information.
(b) Additional memory.
(c) 'No' commands.
(d) Additional processing power.
3. How does Diana apologize to Richard?
(a) She invites him to lunch.
(b) She writes him a long note.
(c) She buys him a bottle of Scotch.
(d) She breaks with Lentz.
4. What does time with Diana make Richard think back to about his time with C.?
(a) C. going away to work with another researcher.
(b) C. flirting with another man.
(c) C. longing for anonymity after his book came out.
(d) C. wanting children.
5. How does Richard describe his relationship with C.?
(a) They became each other's best friends and worst enemies.
(b) They never really connected.
(c) They were alone in each other's company.
(d) They merged into being one person.
6. What does Richard see in the photograph of Philip Lentz and his wife?
(c) Profound love.
7. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
(a) Going home for dinner.
(b) Making love with C.
(c) Making love with Diana Hartrick.
(d) Meeting C.
8. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
(a) As disciplined.
(b) As democratic.
(c) As lifelike.
(d) As variously weighted.
9. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
(a) He insults her.
(b) He agrees that she has a valid point.
(c) He jumps out of his seat with a realization.
(d) He explains at length.
10. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Seven years.
11. What got Richard this position?
(a) The notoriety of his most recent book.
(b) The renown of his Pulitzer Prize.
(c) A friend with connections.
(d) The brilliance of his lectures.
12. What happens if information that comes out of back propagation does not match the information put in?
(a) It is corrected.
(b) It is discarded.
(c) It is sent through again.
(d) It is used for reprogramming the neural net.
13. Why does Richard not take the position he is offered?
(a) He has to stay with his sick mother.
(b) He wants to travel.
(c) He wants to stay with C.
(d) He wants to explore other options.
14. How did Richard and C. handle the cold when they lived together?
(a) By burning manuscript pages.
(b) By making love.
(c) By cooking soups.
(d) By reading stories.
15. What does Richard think about Diana's part in Philip Lentz's work?
(a) He feels betrayed by her duplicity.
(b) He suspects that she is doing all the hard work for Lentz.
(c) He is saddened to see Diana put up with Lentz's rough personality.
(d) He is delighted for the opportunity Diana has.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
2. Who comes over to talk to Richard in Section II?
3. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
4. What is implementation A?
5. What does Richard say was a mother's consolation prize?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)