|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Richard see Philip Lentz?
(a) Drinking alone.
(b) Drinking with an attractive woman who seems to be a student.
(c) On the edge of a crowd watching music.
(d) In the middle of a crowd of people discussing theory.
2. What does Diana invite Richard to after chastising him?
(a) The theatre.
(b) A bar.
(d) A walk in the woods.
3. What draws Richard to Philip Lentz's office?
(b) Loud conversation.
(c) Mozart music.
(d) He hears John Donne's poetry.
4. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
(a) C. received a promotion.
(b) C. moved back to live with her parents.
(c) C. heard that her parents were moving.
(d) C. got pregnant.
5. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
(a) He encourages him.
(b) He confides in him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He baits him.
6. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
(a) Smoking too much.
(b) Not eating.
(c) Not sleeping.
(d) Drinking too much.
7. To what do Richard's attempts at conversation lead him?
(a) Depressing thoughts about old age.
(b) Soothing thoughts about getting wiser over time.
(c) Alarming thoughts about the ignorance of college students.
(d) Disturbing thoughts about the state of the world.
8. How did Richard and C. handle the cold when they lived together?
(a) By cooking soups.
(b) By making love.
(c) By burning manuscript pages.
(d) By reading stories.
9. What mistake does Diana say Philip Lentz is making in his project?
(a) Not modeling his implementations emotions.
(b) Not giving his implementations visual input.
(c) Not giving his implementations motivation to answer correctly.
(d) Not giving his implementations audio input.
10. What is Richard doing at the beginning of section IV?
(a) Thinking about C.
(b) Revising his novel.
(c) Working on implementation B.
(d) Talking with Diana Hartrick.
11. What change does Philip Lentz make in implementation B?
(a) A decrease in retention ability.
(b) An increase in processor speeds.
(c) An increase in interconnections.
(d) An increase in retention ability.
12. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Seven years.
13. What does Richard finish in the beginning of section II?
(a) A letter to C.
(b) His novel.
(c) Press materials for his current novel.
(d) A proposal for his next novel.
14. How does Diana apologize to Richard?
(a) She writes him a long note.
(b) She breaks with Lentz.
(c) She buys him a bottle of Scotch.
(d) She invites him to lunch.
15. What does Philip Lentz lead Richard to believe?
(a) That implementation B was a failure.
(b) That C. was trying to get in touch with him.
(c) That implementation C had made huge strides.
(d) That he was giving Richard credit for implementation C's advances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does time with Diana make Richard think back to about his time with C.?
2. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
3. What did C. feel when her family told her that they were moving?
4. What is implementation A?
5. Where does Richard try to draw stories out of people?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)