|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard do at his office night?
(c) Wander the halls.
2. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
(a) That it was more important than anything she was doing.
(b) That it was taking him away from her.
(c) That it was turning her into a character of his.
(d) That it was more real than he was.
3. How does Richard refer to Philip Lentz in their second meeting?
4. Why does C. not join Richard in his plans?
(a) She is involved with someone.
(b) She does not have enough money to come with him.
(c) She just was accepted into a graduate program.
(d) She does not trust him.
5. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Ten years.
6. What is Richard having difficulty with in the present moment, in the beginning of section II?
(a) Remembering things.
(b) Devising a plot for his next novel.
(c) Getting paid.
(d) Getting in touch with his editor.
7. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
(a) He confides in him.
(b) He baits him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He encourages him.
8. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
(a) He thinks that a computer will never know happiness until it can experience alienation.
(b) He does not think a computer will ever know happiness.
(c) He knows that he was happy once.
(d) He cannot tell whether he was happy in the past.
9. What does Richard conclude about Lentz's feelings about working together?
(a) That he wants to work alone.
(b) That he wants to get help but take all the credit.
(c) That he wants Richard to stay on the project.
(d) That he wants to push Richard away from the project.
10. To what does Diana Hartrick invite Richard?
(b) A lecture.
(c) A drink.
(d) A weekend away.
11. Where did Richard meet C.?
(a) By chance in a bookstore.
(b) In a class he was teaching.
(c) At a conference where she was speaking.
(d) In a class she was teaching.
12. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
(a) Not to work on Lentz's project any further.
(b) Never to trust Lentz again.
(c) Not to let Lentz handle money.
(d) To tell the administration at the center about Lentz's deceit.
13. What is Richard doing at the beginning of section IV?
(a) Working on implementation B.
(b) Revising his novel.
(c) Talking with Diana Hartrick.
(d) Thinking about C.
14. With whom does Richard have an encounter at the end of section IV?
(a) Philip Lentz.
(d) Implementation B.
15. What kind of research is Philip Lentz conducting?
(a) Building a computer for handling extremely large calculations.
(b) Teaching semiconductors to simulate neurons.
(c) Making a mathematical model for consciousness.
(d) Experimenting with sound waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Richard recall parting with C.?
2. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
3. How does Richard act on his decision?
4. What did Richard say he got from C.?
5. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)