|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
(a) Whether a person can comprehend the full extent of his or her reading.
(b) What kind of progress remains to be made in astrophysics.
(c) Whether a machine could read philosophy.
(d) When the global economy will collapse.
2. With what does Philip Lentz want to test implementation B?
(d) Moving images.
3. What is Richard having difficulty with in the present moment, in the beginning of section II?
(a) Getting paid.
(b) Devising a plot for his next novel.
(c) Remembering things.
(d) Getting in touch with his editor.
4. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Six months.
5. What was Richard's job when he lived with C.?
(a) Museum guard.
(b) Tour guide.
6. What causes Richard to threaten to leave Philip Lentz's project?
(a) Problems with its theoretical foundations.
(b) Lentz's cynicism.
(c) Lentz's drinking.
(d) Lentz's sexism.
7. Philip Lentz's tirade make Richard think of _____.
8. Where did Richard live with C.?
(a) In London.
(b) In B.
(c) In U.
(d) In Paris.
9. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
(a) His ex-lovers' families.
(b) His lovers and their time together.
(c) His family.
(d) His family history.
10. How does Diana apologize to Richard?
(a) She breaks with Lentz.
(b) She writes him a long note.
(c) She buys him a bottle of Scotch.
(d) She invites him to lunch.
11. What does time with Diana make Richard think back to about his time with C.?
(a) C. flirting with another man.
(b) C. wanting children.
(c) C. longing for anonymity after his book came out.
(d) C. going away to work with another researcher.
12. What does Richard suggest to Philip Lentz as a result of his conversation with Diana?
(a) Emotional histories for the implementations.
(b) Eyes for the implementations.
(c) Ears for the implementations.
(d) New avenues for funding.
13. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
(a) Used furniture.
(b) Expensive new furniture.
(c) Inherited furniture.
(d) Dilapidated furniture.
14. What does Philip Lentz say about implementation B?
(a) It needs to process its processing.
(b) It needs to find its own energy sources.
(c) It needs to be able to teach itself how to solve problems.
(d) It needs to write its own programs.
15. What is Richard worried about after his lunch with Philip Lentz and the others?
(a) His project failing.
(b) Science stagnating.
(c) Imminent political instability.
(d) Economic collapse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard try to draw stories out of people?
2. Where was Richard before he moved back to the U.S.?
3. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
4. What does Richard find when he accepts Diana's invitation?
5. What does Richard say about the machine Philip Lentz built?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)