|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard realize when C. heard that her parents were moving?
(a) That she was dying.
(b) That she had a history she had hidden from him.
(c) That he did not know her well.
(d) That he loved her more than he had ever loved anyone.
2. What does Richard do at his office night?
(c) Wander the halls.
3. What does Richard find when he accepts Diana's invitation?
(a) She wants to spend time with him alone.
(b) She has children.
(c) She wants to tell him secrets about Philip Lentz.
(d) She has a crush on him.
4. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
(b) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
(c) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
(d) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
5. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
(a) C. moved back to live with her parents.
(b) C. received a promotion.
(c) C. heard that her parents were moving.
(d) C. got pregnant.
6. What got Richard this position?
(a) The renown of his Pulitzer Prize.
(b) The notoriety of his most recent book.
(c) A friend with connections.
(d) The brilliance of his lectures.
7. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
(a) The center of the world.
(b) A negligible nation.
(c) A powerful intellectual center.
(d) An obscure colony.
8. Where did Richard meet C.?
(a) In a class he was teaching.
(b) By chance in a bookstore.
(c) In a class she was teaching.
(d) At a conference where she was speaking.
9. What happens if information that comes out of back propagation does not match the information put in?
(a) It is corrected.
(b) It is discarded.
(c) It is sent through again.
(d) It is used for reprogramming the neural net.
10. What does Philip Lentz say about implementation B?
(a) It needs to find its own energy sources.
(b) It needs to be able to teach itself how to solve problems.
(c) It needs to write its own programs.
(d) It needs to process its processing.
11. What did Richard say he got from C.?
(a) Emotional support.
(c) Material for his novels.
12. With whom does Richard have an encounter at the end of section IV?
(a) Philip Lentz.
(b) Implementation B.
13. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
(a) That it was more important than anything she was doing.
(b) That it was more real than he was.
(c) That it was taking him away from her.
(d) That it was turning her into a character of his.
14. What kind of research is Philip Lentz conducting?
(a) Building a computer for handling extremely large calculations.
(b) Making a mathematical model for consciousness.
(c) Experimenting with sound waves.
(d) Teaching semiconductors to simulate neurons.
15. What does Richard attempt to do as he settles in to his new home?
(a) Fade into anonymity.
(b) Introduce himself to everyone.
(c) Listen to all the gossip around him.
(d) Get straight to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard live with C.?
2. Where does Richard see Philip Lentz?
3. What is Richard worried about after his lunch with Philip Lentz and the others?
4. What does Richard suggest to Philip Lentz as a result of his conversation with Diana?
5. Whom does Richard end up talking with, mostly?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)