|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the connection in the articles Philip Lentz gives Richard?
(a) Neural nets.
(b) Climate change.
(c) Ecological interconnection.
(d) Destabilization of currencies.
2. When does Richard recall parting with C.?
(a) At the end of the summer.
(b) After Christmas.
(c) At the end of the winter term.
(d) At the end of the fall semester.
3. What does Richard think about after he gets the invitation from Diana Hartrick?
(a) Meeting C.
(b) Making love with Diana Hartrick.
(c) Making love with C.
(d) Going home for dinner.
4. Why has this person come to talk to Richard in Section II?
(a) To sooth his loneliness.
(b) To support Philip Lentz's theories.
(c) To enlist him in arguing against Philip Lentz.
(d) To put Philip Lentz in his place.
5. What got Richard this position?
(a) A friend with connections.
(b) The brilliance of his lectures.
(c) The renown of his Pulitzer Prize.
(d) The notoriety of his most recent book.
6. What happens if information that comes out of back propagation does not match the information put in?
(a) It is sent through again.
(b) It is discarded.
(c) It is corrected.
(d) It is used for reprogramming the neural net.
7. Who comes over to talk to Richard in Section II?
(a) Philip Lentz.
(c) Diana Hartrick.
8. Of what does Richard say he is afraid?
(a) Failing in his writing.
(b) Realizing his dreams.
(c) Losing his savings.
(d) Wasting his opportunities.
9. What is Richard's response when he finds out that Philip Lentz has been deceiving him?
(a) He thanks Lentz for telling him the truth.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is understanding.
(d) He breaks off ties with Lentz.
10. What does Philip Lentz say about implementation B?
(a) It needs to process its processing.
(b) It needs to find its own energy sources.
(c) It needs to write its own programs.
(d) It needs to be able to teach itself how to solve problems.
11. What does Richard conclude about Lentz's feelings about working together?
(a) That he wants to work alone.
(b) That he wants Richard to stay on the project.
(c) That he wants to push Richard away from the project.
(d) That he wants to get help but take all the credit.
12. What was C.'s reaction to Richard's storytelling?
(a) She pretended to be interested.
(b) She was patient but uninterested.
(c) She was rapt.
(d) She was enthusiastic and collaborated with him as he told the stories.
13. Where does Richard move to, at the beginning of "Galatea 2.2"?
(a) The town of C.
(b) The town of U.
(d) The city of N.
14. Where was Richard before he moved back to the U.S.?
(b) The Netherlands.
15. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
(a) His lovers and their time together.
(b) His family.
(c) His family history.
(d) His ex-lovers' families.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do Richard's attempts at conversation lead him?
2. Whom does Richard end up talking with, mostly?
3. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
4. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
5. What draws Richard to Philip Lentz's office?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)