|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Smoking too much.
(c) Not sleeping.
(d) Not eating.
2. What was Richard admitted to after he parted with C.?
(a) A teaching job.
(b) A research position.
(c) A think tank.
(d) A Ph.D. program.
3. What does Richard finish in the beginning of section II?
(a) Press materials for his current novel.
(b) A letter to C.
(c) His novel.
(d) A proposal for his next novel.
4. Where does Richard draw the characters for his novels?
(a) His lovers and their time together.
(b) His family history.
(c) His ex-lovers' families.
(d) His family.
5. What causes Richard to threaten to leave Philip Lentz's project?
(a) Problems with its theoretical foundations.
(b) Lentz's sexism.
(c) Lentz's cynicism.
(d) Lentz's drinking.
6. How does Diana apologize to Richard?
(a) She invites him to lunch.
(b) She buys him a bottle of Scotch.
(c) She breaks with Lentz.
(d) She writes him a long note.
7. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
(a) He is afraid for the state of modern science.
(b) He is concerned that the others' research is overlooking one vital principle.
(c) He is terrified by the fragility of the current peace.
(d) He cannot forget the hurt feelings felt by the people Lentz insults.
8. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
(a) He confides in him.
(b) He encourages him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He baits him.
9. What does Richard say about the machine Philip Lentz built?
(a) It recognizes him when he returns to the room.
(b) It replicates consciousness.
(c) It contained the immense distances of open space.
(d) Lentz was training it to recognize beauty.
10. What did Richard and C. have to furnish their apartment?
(a) Expensive new furniture.
(b) Used furniture.
(c) Inherited furniture.
(d) Dilapidated furniture.
11. Where was Richard before he moved back to the U.S.?
(c) The Netherlands.
12. What got Richard this position?
(a) The notoriety of his most recent book.
(b) The renown of his Pulitzer Prize.
(c) A friend with connections.
(d) The brilliance of his lectures.
13. What is implementation A?
(a) A recording device for unheard sounds.
(b) A machine that can be conditioned.
(c) A robot.
(d) A tool for analyzing consciousness.
14. What happens if information that comes out of back propagation does not match the information put in?
(a) It is used for reprogramming the neural net.
(b) It is sent through again.
(c) It is discarded.
(d) It is corrected.
15. What change does Philip Lentz make in implementation B?
(a) An increase in interconnections.
(b) A decrease in retention ability.
(c) An increase in processor speeds.
(d) An increase in retention ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard find when he accepts Diana's invitation?
2. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
3. What are Philip Lentz and his friends discussing when Richard joins them?
4. Why does C. not join Richard in his plans?
5. What does Richard think about after the scene of Philip Lentz's experiment?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)