|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Not eating.
(c) Not sleeping.
(d) Smoking too much.
2. How does Philip Lentz refer to Richard in their second meeting?
(b) Little Marcel.
3. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
(a) C. moved back to live with her parents.
(b) C. got pregnant.
(c) C. heard that her parents were moving.
(d) C. received a promotion.
4. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
(a) He agrees that she has a valid point.
(b) He jumps out of his seat with a realization.
(c) He explains at length.
(d) He insults her.
5. Where does Richard move to, at the beginning of "Galatea 2.2"?
(b) The town of U.
(c) The city of N.
(d) The town of C.
6. What does Philip Lentz say about implementation B?
(a) It needs to write its own programs.
(b) It needs to be able to teach itself how to solve problems.
(c) It needs to process its processing.
(d) It needs to find its own energy sources.
7. What does Richard say about the machine Philip Lentz built?
(a) It recognizes him when he returns to the room.
(b) It replicates consciousness.
(c) Lentz was training it to recognize beauty.
(d) It contained the immense distances of open space.
8. What does Richard conclude about Lentz's feelings about working together?
(a) That he wants Richard to stay on the project.
(b) That he wants to work alone.
(c) That he wants to push Richard away from the project.
(d) That he wants to get help but take all the credit.
9. What did C. begin to feel about Richard's writing?
(a) That it was turning her into a character of his.
(b) That it was taking him away from her.
(c) That it was more real than he was.
(d) That it was more important than anything she was doing.
10. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
(a) The imperative to teach the implementations pronunciation.
(b) Despair about the project.
(c) A theory of machine emotions.
(d) The concept of symbolic grounding.
11. How did Richard and C. handle the cold when they lived together?
(a) By burning manuscript pages.
(b) By making love.
(c) By cooking soups.
(d) By reading stories.
12. What does Richard do at his office night?
(b) Wander the halls.
13. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
(a) The center of the world.
(b) A negligible nation.
(c) A powerful intellectual center.
(d) An obscure colony.
14. What did Richard realize when C. heard that her parents were moving?
(a) That he did not know her well.
(b) That she was dying.
(c) That she had a history she had hidden from him.
(d) That he loved her more than he had ever loved anyone.
15. How long was Richard with C.?
(a) 22 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 4 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What draws Richard to Philip Lentz's office?
2. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
3. What did C. feel when her family told her that they were moving?
4. What does Richard see in the photograph of Philip Lentz and his wife?
5. On what is Philip Lentz basing his project?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)