|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Richard taking a position?
(a) At the Los Alamos lab.
(b) At the Center for the Study of Advanced Sciences.
(c) At Fermilab.
(d) At the Museum of Natural Science.
2. Of what does Richard say he is afraid?
(a) Failing in his writing.
(b) Wasting his opportunities.
(c) Realizing his dreams.
(d) Losing his savings.
3. How does Richard refer to Philip Lentz in their second meeting?
4. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
(b) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
(c) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
(d) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
5. How does Philip Lentz refer to the location where Richard lived before coming to this location?
(a) An obscure colony.
(b) A powerful intellectual center.
(c) A negligible nation.
(d) The center of the world.
6. What was Richard admitted to after he parted with C.?
(a) A think tank.
(b) A Ph.D. program.
(c) A teaching job.
(d) A research position.
7. Why is Richard upset by his lunch with Philip Lentz and others?
(a) He is afraid for the state of modern science.
(b) He cannot forget the hurt feelings felt by the people Lentz insults.
(c) He is concerned that the others' research is overlooking one vital principle.
(d) He is terrified by the fragility of the current peace.
8. What change does Philip Lentz make in implementation B?
(a) A decrease in retention ability.
(b) An increase in processor speeds.
(c) An increase in interconnections.
(d) An increase in retention ability.
9. What happens if information that comes out of back propagation does not match the information put in?
(a) It is used for reprogramming the neural net.
(b) It is sent through again.
(c) It is corrected.
(d) It is discarded.
10. What is Richard working on at this new appointment?
(a) Building a supercomputer.
(b) Developing a scientific model of consciousness.
(c) A new book.
(d) Building a robot.
11. What does Diana invite Richard to after chastising him?
(b) The theatre.
(c) A bar.
(d) A walk in the woods.
12. What does Philip Lentz say about implementation B?
(a) It needs to find its own energy sources.
(b) It needs to write its own programs.
(c) It needs to be able to teach itself how to solve problems.
(d) It needs to process its processing.
13. What does Richard decide in response to his discovery that Lentz deceived him?
(a) To tell the administration at the center about Lentz's deceit.
(b) Not to work on Lentz's project any further.
(c) Never to trust Lentz again.
(d) Not to let Lentz handle money.
14. What is Richard's response when he finds out that Philip Lentz has been deceiving him?
(a) He thanks Lentz for telling him the truth.
(b) He is understanding.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He breaks off ties with Lentz.
15. How does Richard describe the pathways in the neural net in back propagation?
(a) As democratic.
(b) As disciplined.
(c) As lifelike.
(d) As variously weighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard act on his decision?
2. What does Philip Lentz lead Richard to believe?
3. Which literary term describes the story about C.?
4. What did Richard realize when C. heard that her parents were moving?
5. What surprises Richard in his reaction to the time he spends with Diana?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)