|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diana invite Richard to after chastising him?
(a) The theatre.
(b) A bar.
(d) A walk in the woods.
2. Where did Richard meet C.?
(a) In a class he was teaching.
(b) By chance in a bookstore.
(c) At a conference where she was speaking.
(d) In a class she was teaching.
3. Who does Philip Lentz call in to watch his experiment with implementation B?
(a) Diana Hartrick.
(b) Ram Gupta.
(d) Harold Plover.
4. How does Richard refer to Philip Lentz in their second meeting?
5. What does Richard say about happiness, after Philip Lentz's experiment?
(a) He knows that he was happy once.
(b) He does not think a computer will ever know happiness.
(c) He thinks that a computer will never know happiness until it can experience alienation.
(d) He cannot tell whether he was happy in the past.
6. With whom does Richard have an encounter at the end of section IV?
(c) Philip Lentz.
(d) Implementation B.
7. What did Richard realize when C. heard that her parents were moving?
(a) That he did not know her well.
(b) That she was dying.
(c) That he loved her more than he had ever loved anyone.
(d) That she had a history she had hidden from him.
8. For how long were Richard and C. happy together?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
9. Where does Richard try to draw stories out of people?
(a) The supermarket.
(b) A local bar.
(c) Lectures at the center.
(d) Phone calls to his friends.
10. What is Richard working on at this new appointment?
(a) Building a robot.
(b) Building a supercomputer.
(c) A new book.
(d) Developing a scientific model of consciousness.
11. What does Richard attempt to do as he settles in to his new home?
(a) Fade into anonymity.
(b) Get straight to work.
(c) Listen to all the gossip around him.
(d) Introduce himself to everyone.
12. What is it that bothers Richard about Philip Lentz's deception?
(a) That Lentz took Diana away from him.
(b) That he, Richard, cares so much about the project.
(c) That he has so little going for himself that he has become a character in Lentz' research.
(d) That he ever let Lentz close to him.
13. Of what does Richard say he is afraid?
(a) Losing his savings.
(b) Failing in his writing.
(c) Realizing his dreams.
(d) Wasting his opportunities.
14. What does C. get in the mail that drags her spirits down?
(a) A promotion.
(b) Letters from an old lover.
(c) Letters from her family.
(d) Rejection letters from schools.
15. How does Philip Lentz respond when Diana Hartrick challenges him?
(a) He jumps out of his seat with a realization.
(b) He explains at length.
(c) He insults her.
(d) He agrees that she has a valid point.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened near the time Richard published his first book?
2. About what does Diana chastise Richard?
3. What is Richard doing at the beginning of section IV?
4. What does Richard translate Diana's insight into?
5. How does Harold Plover treat Richard at lunch?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)