Section I (pages 0-30)
• Richard Powers returns to the U.S., to an appointment at the Center for the Study of Advanced Sciences, after living with his lover C. in the Netherlands.
• As he settles into his new location, Richard meets Philip Lentz, who is working on a machine that he is training to recognize beauty.
• Richard alternates scenes of getting involved in Lentz's circle of researchers, and reminiscing about his ex-lover C.
Section II (pages 31-64
• Richard and C. were together for 10 years while Richard established himself as an author.
• Richard finds Lentz coarse and insulting to the other researchers, but Richard is nevertheless drawn into his project of training a machine to be conscious.
• Lentz intends to train the machine to take the Turing Test in ten months, and hopes that it can do as well as a college student.
Section III (pages 64-90)
• Richard reminisces...
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)