|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Louie, what crashes into a police car in Act 3, Part 1?
2. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What does Mollie grab to defend herself with towards the end of Act 2, Part 4?
4. How many wives treated Burns badly, as he reveals in Act 3, Part 1?
5. What is Burns planning to do with Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 4, Williams escapes from jail, causing Hildy to act on his reporter's instincts and choose to follow the story. Analyze his decision at that point in the play based on two factors:
1) Was the decision made purely out of instinct, or did he consider the alternatives, and consciously make it?
2) What is the association between Hildy's character and his decision? Based on the kind of person he is and the values he has, did he really have a choice? Why or why not?
Be sure to include specific examples from the play to support your opinions and analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
Essay Topic 3
What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)