|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burns tell Hildy on the phone in Act 2, Part 4 after hearing that Williams is with him?
2. What are the reporters urging the Sheriff to do in Act 3, Part 2?
3. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
4. What does Burns keep asking Hildy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
5. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 1, the details surrounding Williams' escape emerge.
1) Describe 3 different versions of the escape as they were given by the reporters.
2) Describe Hildy's version of the escape at the end of Act 2, Part 1. How does it differ from the stories called in by the other reporters? Also, include what the authors are illustrating by having Hildy present the facts of the escape in this way. Why is that essential to the overall theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Burns and the mayor show many similar character traits as the story unfolds. Describe these similarities and what they mean for both characters. In particular, what does it represent for Burns in an ironic, or even hypocritical sense? Be sure to use the play to provide specific examples.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)