|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
2. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
3. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
4. What does Hildy accuse Burns of in Act 3, Part 1?
5. In Act 2, Part 3, what does the mayor tell the sheriff almost cost them the election a couple of years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Front Page moves at a rapid pace and quickly transitions from one event to the next. Describe points in the play where this faster pace helps the plot. Be sure to include the characters involved, why they are relevant, and how the pace for each event was effective in furthering or adding to the play's theme.
Essay Topic 2
What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Part 4, Williams escapes from jail, causing Hildy to act on his reporter's instincts and choose to follow the story. Analyze his decision at that point in the play based on two factors:
1) Was the decision made purely out of instinct, or did he consider the alternatives, and consciously make it?
2) What is the association between Hildy's character and his decision? Based on the kind of person he is and the values he has, did he really have a choice? Why or why not?
Be sure to include specific examples from the play to support your opinions and analysis.
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)