Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
2. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
3. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
4. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
Why do you think the Roaring Twenties was an effective setting for The Front Page? Describe what elements of the play would be different if it took place today. What advantages do the Twenties give the story as far as the plot is concerned? Were the characters more believable? How would they change in current times?
The reporters are joking in the background of many acts in the play, displaying their cynicism as well.
1) Describe three situations where the cynicism or joking is illustrated and why you think the authors included it for those specific parts of the play.
2) Describe the time or times that Hildy also participated in the cynicism and joking, and why it was necessary to show that side of his character. What did it illustrate?
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)