|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with the reporters as Hildy opens the door at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy accuse Burns of in Act 3, Part 1?
3. According to Louie, what crashes into a police car in Act 3, Part 1?
4. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
5. What are the reporters doing as they phone in their stories in Act 3, Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 3, The mayor and the sheriff discuss their situation and how to deal with Williams' escape.
1) Describe how the notion of blaming others is used by both the mayor and the sheriff, and what it is used to cover up.
2) Explain what using the "blame" tactic signals in a character. What type of person usually adopts it and why?
3) Analyze the idea of loyalty and how it comes into play in Act 2, Part 3 for the mayor and the sheriff.
Essay Topic 2
Hildy and Burns are two characters that conflict with each other, yet seem to find common ground throughout the play. Chronicle their interaction, using examples to highlight the major differences between the two characters, and any similarities. How does Burns, in a way, help Hildy make his decision at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The reporters are joking in the background of many acts in the play, displaying their cynicism as well.
1) Describe three situations where the cynicism or joking is illustrated and why you think the authors included it for those specific parts of the play.
2) Describe the time or times that Hildy also participated in the cynicism and joking, and why it was necessary to show that side of his character. What did it illustrate?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)