|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Part 3, what does the mayor tell the sheriff almost cost them the election a couple of years ago?
2. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What character's actions earlier in the play are similar to Burns' actions with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1?
4. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
5. What is Hildy talking about repeatedly at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
Essay Topic 1
The playwrights of The Front Page use the "layering of facts" technique throughout the play. Describe three examples of this technique in detail, explaining how it is used in each case, why the authors may have used it, and how effective it was.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 4, Mollie throws herself out of the window to protect Williams. That act affects the characters and the theme of the play in various ways.
1) Describe how Mollie's desperate decision affected Hildy, his situation, and the possible ways it may change how he views his upcoming decision.
2) Describe the way Mollie's actions affect the other reporters. What does it show about the possible dangers of their outlook throughout the play?
3) Explain the literary effect of Mollie's decision. Which techniques does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)