|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the sheriff look for Williams originally in Act 3, Part 2?
2. How many wives treated Burns badly, as he reveals in Act 3, Part 1?
3. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
4. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
5. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The playwrights of The Front Page use the "layering of facts" technique throughout the play. Describe three examples of this technique in detail, explaining how it is used in each case, why the authors may have used it, and how effective it was.
Essay Topic 2
Burns and the mayor show many similar character traits as the story unfolds. Describe these similarities and what they mean for both characters. In particular, what does it represent for Burns in an ironic, or even hypocritical sense? Be sure to use the play to provide specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)