|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reaction to Mrs. Grant's testimony in Act 3, Part 2, how does Burns inadvertently reveal where Williams is hiding?
2. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
3. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
4. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
5. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Hildy's actions in Act 1, Part 3 seem contradictory. Use a description of the events in the Act 1, Part 3 to illustrate the contradiction. Also, include possible reasons for it. What does it say about Hildy's character?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)