|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his phone conversation, what does the Sheriff do in Act 3, Part 2?
2. What is Hildy trying to do as Williams falls from the window?
3. What does Hildy accuse Burns of in Act 3, Part 1?
4. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
5. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Roaring Twenties was an effective setting for The Front Page? Describe what elements of the play would be different if it took place today. What advantages do the Twenties give the story as far as the plot is concerned? Were the characters more believable? How would they change in current times?
Essay Topic 2
Hildy and Burns are two characters that conflict with each other, yet seem to find common ground throughout the play. Chronicle their interaction, using examples to highlight the major differences between the two characters, and any similarities. How does Burns, in a way, help Hildy make his decision at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Part 2, Mrs. Grant is introduced as Peggy's mother. Follow her character through the play and describe three events that she affected. Also, explain what her primary role as a character was and why her relationship to Peggy and Hildy allowed her to fulfill it.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)