|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
2. What does Peggy tell Hildy at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
3. What state of mind is the messenger in when he first enters in Act 3, Part 3?
4. What is it about Hildy's story that causes Burns and Hildy to argue in Act 3, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 1, the details surrounding Williams' escape emerge.
1) Describe 3 different versions of the escape as they were given by the reporters.
2) Describe Hildy's version of the escape at the end of Act 2, Part 1. How does it differ from the stories called in by the other reporters? Also, include what the authors are illustrating by having Hildy present the facts of the escape in this way. Why is that essential to the overall theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)