|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burns tell the mayor, after being arrested in Act 3, Part 3?
2. What does Burns convince Hildy to take at the end of Act 3, Part 3?
3. What does the mayor tell the sheriff they will need in order to win the next election in Act 2, Part 3?
4. Who does Hidly call at the end of Act 2, Part 3?
5. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 4, Williams escapes from jail, causing Hildy to act on his reporter's instincts and choose to follow the story. Analyze his decision at that point in the play based on two factors:
1) Was the decision made purely out of instinct, or did he consider the alternatives, and consciously make it?
2) What is the association between Hildy's character and his decision? Based on the kind of person he is and the values he has, did he really have a choice? Why or why not?
Be sure to include specific examples from the play to support your opinions and analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Hildy and Peggy's future together is a focal point for The Front Page because it demonstrates many things about Hildy as a character. Outline their relationship in detail as it is depicted in the play. Include the main areas that they share similar views in, as well as the areas that they differ. Also, whether you think Hildy will in fact, be himself with Peggy after the play ends. Or, will he come to struggle with a part of himself that will always be there. Use the play as a reference to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)