|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mollie grab to defend herself with towards the end of Act 2, Part 4?
2. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
3. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
4. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
5. In reaction to Mrs. Grant's testimony in Act 3, Part 2, how does Burns inadvertently reveal where Williams is hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 4, Mollie throws herself out of the window to protect Williams. That act affects the characters and the theme of the play in various ways.
1) Describe how Mollie's desperate decision affected Hildy, his situation, and the possible ways it may change how he views his upcoming decision.
2) Describe the way Mollie's actions affect the other reporters. What does it show about the possible dangers of their outlook throughout the play?
3) Explain the literary effect of Mollie's decision. Which techniques does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Part 2, Mrs. Grant is introduced as Peggy's mother. Follow her character through the play and describe three events that she affected. Also, explain what her primary role as a character was and why her relationship to Peggy and Hildy allowed her to fulfill it.
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)