Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
2. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
3. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
4. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
Essay Topic 1
Hildy and Peggy's future together is a focal point for The Front Page because it demonstrates many things about Hildy as a character. Outline their relationship in detail as it is depicted in the play. Include the main areas that they share similar views in, as well as the areas that they differ. Also, whether you think Hildy will in fact, be himself with Peggy after the play ends. Or, will he come to struggle with a part of himself that will always be there. Use the play as a reference to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 3, The mayor and the sheriff discuss their situation and how to deal with Williams' escape.
1) Describe how the notion of blaming others is used by both the mayor and the sheriff, and what it is used to cover up.
2) Explain what using the "blame" tactic signals in a character. What type of person usually adopts it and why?
3) Analyze the idea of loyalty and how it comes into play in Act 2, Part 3 for the mayor and the sheriff.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)