Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
2. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
3. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
4. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 1, the details surrounding Williams' escape emerge.
1) Describe 3 different versions of the escape as they were given by the reporters.
2) Describe Hildy's version of the escape at the end of Act 2, Part 1. How does it differ from the stories called in by the other reporters? Also, include what the authors are illustrating by having Hildy present the facts of the escape in this way. Why is that essential to the overall theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)