|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
2. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
3. What causes Hildy to hang up the phone angrily in the beginning of Act 2, Part 4?
4. After his phone conversation, what does the Sheriff do in Act 3, Part 2?
5. What is Hildy talking about repeatedly at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Hildy's actions in Act 1, Part 3 seem contradictory. Use a description of the events in the Act 1, Part 3 to illustrate the contradiction. Also, include possible reasons for it. What does it say about Hildy's character?
Essay Topic 2
What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
Essay Topic 3
Hildy and Peggy's future together is a focal point for The Front Page because it demonstrates many things about Hildy as a character. Outline their relationship in detail as it is depicted in the play. Include the main areas that they share similar views in, as well as the areas that they differ. Also, whether you think Hildy will in fact, be himself with Peggy after the play ends. Or, will he come to struggle with a part of himself that will always be there. Use the play as a reference to support your opinion.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)