|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
2. What does Burns tell the mayor, after being arrested in Act 3, Part 3?
3. According to Burns at the end of Act 3, Part 1, what is ruining everything?
4. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
5. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hildy and Burns are two characters that conflict with each other, yet seem to find common ground throughout the play. Chronicle their interaction, using examples to highlight the major differences between the two characters, and any similarities. How does Burns, in a way, help Hildy make his decision at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Burns and the mayor show many similar character traits as the story unfolds. Describe these similarities and what they mean for both characters. In particular, what does it represent for Burns in an ironic, or even hypocritical sense? Be sure to use the play to provide specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)