|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
2. Where does Hildy hide Williams as the other reporters are coming back in Act 2, Part 4?
3. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
4. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
5. Where does the sheriff look for Williams originally in Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burns and the mayor show many similar character traits as the story unfolds. Describe these similarities and what they mean for both characters. In particular, what does it represent for Burns in an ironic, or even hypocritical sense? Be sure to use the play to provide specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 4, Williams escapes from jail, causing Hildy to act on his reporter's instincts and choose to follow the story. Analyze his decision at that point in the play based on two factors:
1) Was the decision made purely out of instinct, or did he consider the alternatives, and consciously make it?
2) What is the association between Hildy's character and his decision? Based on the kind of person he is and the values he has, did he really have a choice? Why or why not?
Be sure to include specific examples from the play to support your opinions and analysis.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)