|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the sheriff accuse Hildy of conspiring with to hide Williams at the beginning of Act 3, Part 2?
2. Who sends the reprieve to cancel the execution in Act 2, Part 3?
3. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
4. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
5. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The playwrights of The Front Page use the "layering of facts" technique throughout the play. Describe three examples of this technique in detail, explaining how it is used in each case, why the authors may have used it, and how effective it was.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Part 2, the reporters are visited by the outside world three times.
1) Describe what happens in each instance, explaining the situation, the people involved, and how the reporters respond.
2) Analyze the behavior by the reporters based on how they deal with people who are not considered to be one of them.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)