|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Hildy to hang up the phone angrily in the beginning of Act 2, Part 4?
2. What does Mollie grab to defend herself with towards the end of Act 2, Part 4?
3. What is Hildy trying to do as Williams falls from the window?
4. What does Peggy tell Hildy at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
5. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
Essay Topic 2
The playwrights of The Front Page use the "layering of facts" technique throughout the play. Describe three examples of this technique in detail, explaining how it is used in each case, why the authors may have used it, and how effective it was.
Essay Topic 3
Burns and the mayor show many similar character traits as the story unfolds. Describe these similarities and what they mean for both characters. In particular, what does it represent for Burns in an ironic, or even hypocritical sense? Be sure to use the play to provide specific examples.
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)