|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
2. What does Burns say about Mrs. Grant to discredit her story in Act 3, Part 2?
3. How much money does Louie agree to give Hildy for an IOU?
4. Who sends the reprieve to cancel the execution in Act 2, Part 3?
5. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the play centers around Hildy's decision between being a reporter and getting married. Analyze the differences of both lives. Include events and characters from the play to explain the advantages and disadvantages of Hildy's options as they are displayed throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 1, the details surrounding Williams' escape emerge.
1) Describe 3 different versions of the escape as they were given by the reporters.
2) Describe Hildy's version of the escape at the end of Act 2, Part 1. How does it differ from the stories called in by the other reporters? Also, include what the authors are illustrating by having Hildy present the facts of the escape in this way. Why is that essential to the overall theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the Roaring Twenties was an effective setting for The Front Page? Describe what elements of the play would be different if it took place today. What advantages do the Twenties give the story as far as the plot is concerned? Were the characters more believable? How would they change in current times?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)