|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Burns tell Hildy he is behaving when he protests Mrs. Grant being taken away?
2. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
3. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
4. Who sends the reprieve to cancel the execution in Act 2, Part 3?
5. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Why do you think the Roaring Twenties was an effective setting for The Front Page? Describe what elements of the play would be different if it took place today. What advantages do the Twenties give the story as far as the plot is concerned? Were the characters more believable? How would they change in current times?
Essay Topic 2Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
Essay Topic 3What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)