|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Hildy to hang up the phone angrily in the beginning of Act 2, Part 4?
2. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
3. How does Burns tell Hildy he is behaving when he protests Mrs. Grant being taken away?
4. What does Burns tell the mayor, after being arrested in Act 3, Part 3?
5. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
Essay Topic 3
Burns and the mayor show many similar character traits as the story unfolds. Describe these similarities and what they mean for both characters. In particular, what does it represent for Burns in an ironic, or even hypocritical sense? Be sure to use the play to provide specific examples.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)