|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hildy say owns the company he will be working for?
2. Where does Hildy want Peggy and Mrs. Grant to wait for him?
3. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
4. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
5. Who is Mrs. Schlosser looking for at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main point or reason for the argument between Peggy and Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 5?
2. How does Burns deal with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1, and what parallel can be drawn between that and another character in the book?
3. What is the reaction of the reporters to the news of Hildy leaving in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about what Hildy and Burn's relationship may possibly be like at this point in the play?
4. What key role does the messenger play in Act 3, Part 3, and how do Hildy and Burns capitalize on it?
5. What important document does the messenger bring in Act 2, Part 3, and how does the mayor choose to deal with it?
6. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
7. What joke does Hildy have at McCue's expense when the two cross paths in Act 2, Part 1?
8. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
9. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
10. What do the other reporters illustrate when they urge the sheriff to interrogate Hildy in the beginning of Act 3, Part 2, and how does it contrast with what Hildy is doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Hildy's actions in Act 1, Part 3 seem contradictory. Use a description of the events in the Act 1, Part 3 to illustrate the contradiction. Also, include possible reasons for it. What does it say about Hildy's character?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Part 2, the reporters are visited by the outside world three times.
1) Describe what happens in each instance, explaining the situation, the people involved, and how the reporters respond.
2) Analyze the behavior by the reporters based on how they deal with people who are not considered to be one of them.
Essay Topic 3
The reporters are joking in the background of many acts in the play, displaying their cynicism as well.
1) Describe three situations where the cynicism or joking is illustrated and why you think the authors included it for those specific parts of the play.
2) Describe the time or times that Hildy also participated in the cynicism and joking, and why it was necessary to show that side of his character. What did it illustrate?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)