|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bensiger in Act 1, Part 1, what do the other reporters use his area as?
2. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
4. What does Burns say he will help Mrs. Schlosser with in Act 1, Part 2?
5. How are most of the reporters depicted in Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
2. What does Louie report to Burns in Act 3, Part 1, and why is the response of the characters significant?
3. Where did Hildy get the money from, and how does it lead to the discussion about the money the other reporters owe him in Act 1, Part 3?
4. Who is waiting for Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 1, and what decision does he now have to make as a result of his actions?
5. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
6. What is the reason that Burns is upset with Hildy's story at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1, and what does that illustrate about his character?
7. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
8. What request by the reporters is denied by the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2, and how does the request itself depict their priorities?
9. What does the way Williams escapes from jail reveal about the sheriff, and what is the sheriff's response to it in Act 2, Part 2 tell us about his character?
10. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Act 2, Part 2, it is evident that the senator and the mayor do not agree on things. Explore some of the possibilities for why they have a dislike for each other. Do they represent opposite political views? Is one honest and the other deceitful? What past events might have affected their current opinions of each other? Describe the interaction between them in the play and use those examples to explain your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Hildy's actions in Act 1, Part 3 seem contradictory. Use a description of the events in the Act 1, Part 3 to illustrate the contradiction. Also, include possible reasons for it. What does it say about Hildy's character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the interaction between Mollie and the reporters in Act 1, Part 4. How is her character introduced? Do the authors make it clear from the beginning that she will be integral to the plot? What does Mollie say about Williams and the shooting and why is that significant. What do the reporters reveal about themselves by the way they interact with Mollie?
This section contains 2,224 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)