|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
2. What does the mayor want to know from the sheriff in Act 2, Part 2?
3. Hildy is short for what name?
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
5. Who did Williams tell he was innocent, according to Woodenshoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
2. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
3. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
4. How does Burns deal with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1, and what parallel can be drawn between that and another character in the book?
5. What are some of the interesting things that we learn about the sheriff in Act 1, Part 4?
6. How does Peggy react to Hildy's news in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2, and why?
7. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
8. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
9. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
10. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Roaring Twenties was an effective setting for The Front Page? Describe what elements of the play would be different if it took place today. What advantages do the Twenties give the story as far as the plot is concerned? Were the characters more believable? How would they change in current times?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Part 2, the reporters are visited by the outside world three times.
1) Describe what happens in each instance, explaining the situation, the people involved, and how the reporters respond.
2) Analyze the behavior by the reporters based on how they deal with people who are not considered to be one of them.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
This section contains 2,115 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)