|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What does Louie inform the reporters his new job title is in Act 1, Part 2?
3. What is McCue's response to Hildy calling in Act 1, Part 2?
4. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
5. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
2. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
3. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
4. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
5. What request by the reporters is denied by the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2, and how does the request itself depict their priorities?
6. What joke does Hildy have at McCue's expense when the two cross paths in Act 2, Part 1?
7. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
8. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
9. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
10. Who is waiting for Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 1, and what decision does he now have to make as a result of his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 3, The mayor and the sheriff discuss their situation and how to deal with Williams' escape.
1) Describe how the notion of blaming others is used by both the mayor and the sheriff, and what it is used to cover up.
2) Explain what using the "blame" tactic signals in a character. What type of person usually adopts it and why?
3) Analyze the idea of loyalty and how it comes into play in Act 2, Part 3 for the mayor and the sheriff.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 4, Mollie throws herself out of the window to protect Williams. That act affects the characters and the theme of the play in various ways.
1) Describe how Mollie's desperate decision affected Hildy, his situation, and the possible ways it may change how he views his upcoming decision.
2) Describe the way Mollie's actions affect the other reporters. What does it show about the possible dangers of their outlook throughout the play?
3) Explain the literary effect of Mollie's decision. Which techniques does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Part 2, the reporters are visited by the outside world three times.
1) Describe what happens in each instance, explaining the situation, the people involved, and how the reporters respond.
2) Analyze the behavior by the reporters based on how they deal with people who are not considered to be one of them.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)