|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
2. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
3. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
4. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louie report to Burns in Act 3, Part 1, and why is the response of the characters significant?
2. What is the reason that Burns is upset with Hildy's story at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1, and what does that illustrate about his character?
3. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
4. What is the response to the fire alarm ringing by the reporters in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about their characters?
5. What is the general attitude of the reporters in Act 1, Part 1?
6. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
7. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
8. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
9. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
10. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hildy and Burns are two characters that conflict with each other, yet seem to find common ground throughout the play. Chronicle their interaction, using examples to highlight the major differences between the two characters, and any similarities. How does Burns, in a way, help Hildy make his decision at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Hildy's actions in Act 1, Part 3 seem contradictory. Use a description of the events in the Act 1, Part 3 to illustrate the contradiction. Also, include possible reasons for it. What does it say about Hildy's character?
Essay Topic 3
The playwrights of The Front Page use the "layering of facts" technique throughout the play. Describe three examples of this technique in detail, explaining how it is used in each case, why the authors may have used it, and how effective it was.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)