|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
2. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
3. What does Mrs. Grant say about Hildy as she is getting into the cab?
4. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
5. What pace does the play set during Act 1, Part 1, particularly where the dialogue is concerned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two different meanings can be interpreted from the way the other reporters react to Hildy's leaving in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What key role does the messenger play in Act 3, Part 3, and how do Hildy and Burns capitalize on it?
3. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
4. What theory does Woodenshoes have about Williams in the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
5. What does the beginning conversation between the mayor and the sheriff in Act 2, Part 3 reveal about the past and how it relates to the present situation?
6. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
7. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
8. What is the main point or reason for the argument between Peggy and Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 5?
9. Choose one reporter's account of the escape as an example and describe how it was relayed in Act 2, Part 1?
10. What is the general attitude of the reporters in Act 1, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Front Page moves at a rapid pace and quickly transitions from one event to the next. Describe points in the play where this faster pace helps the plot. Be sure to include the characters involved, why they are relevant, and how the pace for each event was effective in furthering or adding to the play's theme.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 2, Mrs. Grant is introduced as Peggy's mother. Follow her character through the play and describe three events that she affected. Also, explain what her primary role as a character was and why her relationship to Peggy and Hildy allowed her to fulfill it.
Essay Topic 3
Hildy and Peggy's future together is a focal point for The Front Page because it demonstrates many things about Hildy as a character. Outline their relationship in detail as it is depicted in the play. Include the main areas that they share similar views in, as well as the areas that they differ. Also, whether you think Hildy will in fact, be himself with Peggy after the play ends. Or, will he come to struggle with a part of himself that will always be there. Use the play as a reference to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)