|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the mayor looking for in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
3. Who does Hildy say owns the company he will be working for?
4. How much money does Hildy tell the other reporters he has received as a gift?
5. According to Bensinger, what won't the Sheriff change about the execution of Williams?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
2. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
3. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
4. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
5. What is the reaction of the reporters to the news of Hildy leaving in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about what Hildy and Burn's relationship may possibly be like at this point in the play?
6. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
7. When does Mollie say she saw Williams and how does she explain her relationship with him to the reporters in Act 1, Part 4?
8. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
9. What do the other reporters illustrate when they urge the sheriff to interrogate Hildy in the beginning of Act 3, Part 2, and how does it contrast with what Hildy is doing?
10. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Part 4, Williams escapes from jail, causing Hildy to act on his reporter's instincts and choose to follow the story. Analyze his decision at that point in the play based on two factors:
1) Was the decision made purely out of instinct, or did he consider the alternatives, and consciously make it?
2) What is the association between Hildy's character and his decision? Based on the kind of person he is and the values he has, did he really have a choice? Why or why not?
Be sure to include specific examples from the play to support your opinions and analysis.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 1, the details surrounding Williams' escape emerge.
1) Describe 3 different versions of the escape as they were given by the reporters.
2) Describe Hildy's version of the escape at the end of Act 2, Part 1. How does it differ from the stories called in by the other reporters? Also, include what the authors are illustrating by having Hildy present the facts of the escape in this way. Why is that essential to the overall theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)