|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What does Peggy remind Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
4. Who is the mayor looking for in Act 2, Part 2?
5. What does the Mayor say about the senator's position in Act 2, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
2. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
4. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
5. How does Peggy react to Hildy's news in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2, and why?
6. Who is Mrs. Schlosser, what rule does she break in Act 1, Part 2, and what does it say about the reporters in general?
7. What request by the reporters is denied by the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2, and how does the request itself depict their priorities?
8. How does money play a subtle part in Peggy and Mrs. Grant's concerns that may differ with Hildy's at this point of the play in Act 2, Part 2?
9. What is the reason that Burns is upset with Hildy's story at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1, and what does that illustrate about his character?
10. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the contrast in character of Hildy as opposed to the mayor and the sheriff. Use the entire play as a reference to explain how the actions of the Mayor and the Sheriff defined Hildy's character even more. Why was that contrast significant to the main theme of the play? Be sure to include specific examples as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Hildy and Burns are two characters that conflict with each other, yet seem to find common ground throughout the play. Chronicle their interaction, using examples to highlight the major differences between the two characters, and any similarities. How does Burns, in a way, help Hildy make his decision at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The playwrights of The Front Page use the "layering of facts" technique throughout the play. Describe three examples of this technique in detail, explaining how it is used in each case, why the authors may have used it, and how effective it was.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)