|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
2. What rule do Schwartz and Murphy say that Mrs. Schlosser has broken at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
3. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
4. Why do the other reporters not believe that Hildy has actually quit when they hear the news in Act 1, Part 1?
5. Where does the sheriff say his men have cornered Williams in Act 2, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
2. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
3. What does the conversation between Hildy and Peggy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 2 bring to light, and how do they relate to Hildy's inner struggle?
4. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What is the character of Woodenshoes like, and how is the interaction between him and the reporters significant in Act 1, Part 2?
6. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
7. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
8. Describe the press room in the beginning of The Front Page, and how it relates to the overall pace of the play in general.
9. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
10. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Act 2, Part 2, it is evident that the senator and the mayor do not agree on things. Explore some of the possibilities for why they have a dislike for each other. Do they represent opposite political views? Is one honest and the other deceitful? What past events might have affected their current opinions of each other? Describe the interaction between them in the play and use those examples to explain your theory.
Essay Topic 2
The reporters are joking in the background of many acts in the play, displaying their cynicism as well.
1) Describe three situations where the cynicism or joking is illustrated and why you think the authors included it for those specific parts of the play.
2) Describe the time or times that Hildy also participated in the cynicism and joking, and why it was necessary to show that side of his character. What did it illustrate?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)