|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
2. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
3. What does Kruger report the senator has called for in Act 2, Part 2?
4. Why do the other reporters not believe that Hildy has actually quit when they hear the news in Act 1, Part 1?
5. Hildy is short for what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the interesting things that we learn about the sheriff in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
3. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
4. How does Hildy deal with the sheriff and what tactic does he use that the sheriff interestingly responds to in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
6. Where did Hildy get the money from, and how does it lead to the discussion about the money the other reporters owe him in Act 1, Part 3?
7. What is the response to the fire alarm ringing by the reporters in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about their characters?
8. How does Hildy validate that he is leaving to the other reporters in Act 1, Part 3, and what is their reaction?
9. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
10. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Roaring Twenties was an effective setting for The Front Page? Describe what elements of the play would be different if it took place today. What advantages do the Twenties give the story as far as the plot is concerned? Were the characters more believable? How would they change in current times?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the initial differences between Hildy and the other reporters, as they are displayed in Act 1, Part 3? Why are they significant and how do they affect the main theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Part 2, Mrs. Grant is introduced as Peggy's mother. Follow her character through the play and describe three events that she affected. Also, explain what her primary role as a character was and why her relationship to Peggy and Hildy allowed her to fulfill it.
This section contains 2,228 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)