|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is McCue's response to Hildy calling in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
3. Who was the only person to defend Williams at his trial?
4. What job does Hildy tell the reporters he is quitting the paper for?
5. What kind of money does Hildy tell the reporters he will be making at his new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Through the exchange of dialogue by the reporters as they are calling in their stories, what new information do we learn about the hanging of Williams in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Who is Mrs. Schlosser, what rule does she break in Act 1, Part 2, and what does it say about the reporters in general?
3. What theory does Woodenshoes have about Williams in the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
4. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
5. What is the reason that Burns is upset with Hildy's story at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1, and what does that illustrate about his character?
6. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
7. How does Williams meet Hildy in Act 2, Part 4, and what does he explain to him about the police?
8. What is interesting about the way both the mayor and the sheriff respond to what the messenger does in Act 3, Part 3?
9. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
10. What interesting set of circumstances reveal the gun as the weapon used in the escape in Act 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What statement does the opening of the play make about reporters and the press in general? Use examples from the entire play to follow that statement and describe in detail if it changes or is reaffirmed.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 3, The mayor and the sheriff discuss their situation and how to deal with Williams' escape.
1) Describe how the notion of blaming others is used by both the mayor and the sheriff, and what it is used to cover up.
2) Explain what using the "blame" tactic signals in a character. What type of person usually adopts it and why?
3) Analyze the idea of loyalty and how it comes into play in Act 2, Part 3 for the mayor and the sheriff.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Part 4, Williams escapes from jail, causing Hildy to act on his reporter's instincts and choose to follow the story. Analyze his decision at that point in the play based on two factors:
1) Was the decision made purely out of instinct, or did he consider the alternatives, and consciously make it?
2) What is the association between Hildy's character and his decision? Based on the kind of person he is and the values he has, did he really have a choice? Why or why not?
Be sure to include specific examples from the play to support your opinions and analysis.
This section contains 2,229 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)