|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
2. Louie states in Act 1, Part 2 that Hildy left for what reason?
3. In Hildy's speech in Act 1, Part 3, what kind of life does he say a reporter has?
4. What does Louie think about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 2?
5. What is Jennie cleaning up at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the final scene between Peggy, Hildy, and Burns tie in with the theme of the entire play, in particular, how it relates to Hildy's decision?
2. How does money play a subtle part in Peggy and Mrs. Grant's concerns that may differ with Hildy's at this point of the play in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What theory does Woodenshoes have about Williams in the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
4. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
5. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
6. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
7. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
8. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
9. What interesting set of circumstances reveal the gun as the weapon used in the escape in Act 3, Part 2?
10. What do the other reporters illustrate when they urge the sheriff to interrogate Hildy in the beginning of Act 3, Part 2, and how does it contrast with what Hildy is doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 1, Part 2, the reporters are visited by the outside world three times.
1) Describe what happens in each instance, explaining the situation, the people involved, and how the reporters respond.
2) Analyze the behavior by the reporters based on how they deal with people who are not considered to be one of them.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Part 2, Mrs. Grant is introduced as Peggy's mother. Follow her character through the play and describe three events that she affected. Also, explain what her primary role as a character was and why her relationship to Peggy and Hildy allowed her to fulfill it.
Essay Topic 3
The reporters are joking in the background of many acts in the play, displaying their cynicism as well.
1) Describe three situations where the cynicism or joking is illustrated and why you think the authors included it for those specific parts of the play.
2) Describe the time or times that Hildy also participated in the cynicism and joking, and why it was necessary to show that side of his character. What did it illustrate?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)