|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The phone ringing.
(b) McCue and Murphy arguing.
(d) The sheriff yelling at his deputy.
2. In response to the sheriff's threat, what does Hildy reveal as blackmail?
(a) The sheriff spent the night in a hotel with a librarian.
(b) The sheriff has been giving money to a waitress.
(c) The sheriff has been giving money to a librarian.
(d) The sheriff spent the night in a hotel with a waitress.
3. How much money does Hildy tell the other reporters he has received as a gift?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) Three hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
4. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Working at a fruit stand.
(b) His inexpensive suit.
(c) Not living up to his name.
(d) His weight.
5. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
(a) Two times.
(c) Three times.
(d) Only once.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Williams think the Mayor and city are trying to hang him?
2. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
3. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
4. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, what did the psychiatrist do during Williams's examination?
5. What does Hildy do when Burns calls in Act 1, Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
2. What is the character of Woodenshoes like, and how is the interaction between him and the reporters significant in Act 1, Part 2?
3. How does Hildy validate that he is leaving to the other reporters in Act 1, Part 3, and what is their reaction?
4. What is the general attitude of the reporters in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy insist on receiving from Burns in return for the story in Act 2, Part 1?
6. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
7. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
8. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
9. What interesting set of circumstances reveal the gun as the weapon used in the escape in Act 3, Part 2?
10. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)