|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The use of money to represent character.
(b) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
(c) Analogy of fire.
(d) Definition by contrast.
2. What is Kruger, the reporter, doing at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Talking on the phone.
(b) Strumming a banjo and singing.
(c) Talking with other reporters.
(d) Strumming a ukulele and singing.
3. How are most of the reporters depicted in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Lazy and confused.
(b) Lazy and quiet.
(c) Lazy and impatient.
(d) Lazy and passive.
4. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(b) The reporters.
(d) The guards.
5. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) One of the other reporters pulls the phone out of the wall.
(b) She is upset and hangs up.
(c) The connection is broken.
(d) McCue is frustrated and hangs up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
2. How does the sheriff suggest to the reporters they can get more tickets to the hanging?
3. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
4. In Hildy's speech in Act 1, Part 3, what kind of life does he say a reporter has?
5. What does Peggy remind Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
2. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
3. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
5. What does the way Williams escapes from jail reveal about the sheriff, and what is the sheriff's response to it in Act 2, Part 2 tell us about his character?
6. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
7. When does Mollie say she saw Williams and how does she explain her relationship with him to the reporters in Act 1, Part 4?
8. What are some of the interesting things that we learn about the sheriff in Act 1, Part 4?
9. How does Burns deal with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1, and what parallel can be drawn between that and another character in the book?
10. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)