|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hildy waiting for in the press room at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The courier.
(b) The sheriff.
2. What is Endicott's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(b) He bribed a police officer.
(c) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(d) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
3. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
(a) The psychiatrist.
(d) His deputy.
4. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
(c) The sheriff.
5. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His reporter's instinct.
(b) His desire to help people in need.
(c) His concern for the other reporters.
(d) His fascination of disasters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hildy say owns the company he will be working for?
2. What are the reporters talking about attending in Act 1, Part 1?
3. In Hildy's speech in Act 1, Part 3, what kind of life does he say a reporter has?
4. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
5. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
2. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
3. When does Mollie say she saw Williams and how does she explain her relationship with him to the reporters in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What is the reaction of the reporters to the news of Hildy leaving in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about what Hildy and Burn's relationship may possibly be like at this point in the play?
5. How does money play a subtle part in Peggy and Mrs. Grant's concerns that may differ with Hildy's at this point of the play in Act 2, Part 2?
6. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
7. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
8. How does Peggy react to Hildy's news in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2, and why?
9. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
10. How does Burns deal with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1, and what parallel can be drawn between that and another character in the book?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)