|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the other reporters doing in the background as McCue is talking with the woman in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Imitating him.
(b) Laughing at him.
(c) Trying to get his attention.
(d) Making crude comments.
2. After the fire alarm rings in Act 1, Part 1, why do the reporters ignore it?
(a) A fire doesn't seem like a good story to them.
(b) They are afraid of fires.
(c) The fire is too far away.
(d) They don't hear it.
3. Who was the only person to defend Williams at his trial?
4. In Act 1, Part 1, what does Schwartz tell McCue is the reason that Hildy quit?
(a) He was unhappy with his job.
(b) He left town.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) He accepted a better job.
5. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) McCue is frustrated and hangs up.
(b) One of the other reporters pulls the phone out of the wall.
(c) The connection is broken.
(d) She is upset and hangs up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy promise to his girlfriend before hanging up the phone in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What upsets Kruger when he hears about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 1?
3. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
4. In Act 2, Part 1, what is obvious when comparing Hildy to the other reporters?
5. What does Hildy offer Jennie in Act 1, Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the contrast in the way Hildy and Burns look at the same set of circumstances in the very beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
2. How does Peggy react to Hildy's news in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2, and why?
3. What do the senator's quotes at the end of Act 2, Part 2 say about his feelings towards the mayor, and how does the mayor respond?
4. What does the conversation between Hildy and Peggy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 2 bring to light, and how do they relate to Hildy's inner struggle?
5. Who is waiting for Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 1, and what decision does he now have to make as a result of his actions?
6. When does Mollie say she saw Williams and how does she explain her relationship with him to the reporters in Act 1, Part 4?
7. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
8. How does Williams meet Hildy in Act 2, Part 4, and what does he explain to him about the police?
9. What does Louie report to Burns in Act 3, Part 1, and why is the response of the characters significant?
10. What request by the reporters is denied by the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2, and how does the request itself depict their priorities?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)