|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) So she can take care of it.
(b) She knows he doesn't have it.
(c) She needs to pay the cab fare.
(d) She doesn't believe Hildy's story.
2. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Not being able to resist Burns.
(b) Wasting the money.
(c) Helping Williams escape.
(d) Not being honest with her.
3. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) Definition by contrast.
(b) The use of money to represent character.
(c) Analogy of fire.
(d) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
4. Who was the only person to defend Williams at his trial?
5. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(c) The reporters.
(d) The guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
2. What are the reporters talking about attending in Act 1, Part 1?
3. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
4. The Front Page is set in the press room of which Chicago building?
5. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
2. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
3. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
4. What theory does Woodenshoes have about Williams in the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
5. What is the reaction of the reporters to the news of Hildy leaving in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about what Hildy and Burn's relationship may possibly be like at this point in the play?
6. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
7. What character traits are we already beginning to see in Mrs. Grant and what is interesting about her remark about Hildy on the way to cab, and the way Peggy responds in Act 2, Part 2?
8. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
9. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
10. What do the senator's quotes at the end of Act 2, Part 2 say about his feelings towards the mayor, and how does the mayor respond?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)