|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Mrs. Schlosser.
2. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he will not attend the hanging.
(b) That he is not involved with the murder.
(c) That he has handed in his resignation.
(d) That he is collecting his final paycheck.
3. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He thinks it is good riddance.
(c) He doesn't believe it.
(d) He says that he already knows.
4. What do Murphy and Endicott hope to get from the mayor in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Good news.
(b) A confession.
(c) An apology.
(d) A statement.
5. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
(c) The sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy do when Burns calls in Act 1, Part 4?
3. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, who did Williams shoot once he got a gun?
4. After the fire alarm rings in Act 1, Part 1, why do the reporters ignore it?
5. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
2. What is the reaction of the reporters to the news of Hildy leaving in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about what Hildy and Burn's relationship may possibly be like at this point in the play?
3. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
4. What joke does Hildy have at McCue's expense when the two cross paths in Act 2, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy insist on receiving from Burns in return for the story in Act 2, Part 1?
6. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
7. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
8. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
9. How does Hildy deal with the sheriff and what tactic does he use that the sheriff interestingly responds to in Act 1, Part 4?
10. What does the beginning conversation between the mayor and the sheriff in Act 2, Part 3 reveal about the past and how it relates to the present situation?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)