|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
(d) The sheriff.
2. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His fascination of disasters.
(b) His concern for the other reporters.
(c) His reporter's instinct.
(d) His desire to help people in need.
3. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
(a) The sheriff will be fired.
(b) There will be a socialist uprising.
(c) The mayor will close the train station.
(d) There will be more murders.
4. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(a) A hat.
(c) A newspaper.
5. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
(b) His fiancé.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the sheriff suggest to the reporters they can get more tickets to the hanging?
2. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
4. What reason does Mollie give for seeing Williams before the shooting?
5. What are the reporters talking about attending in Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response to the fire alarm ringing by the reporters in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about their characters?
2. What important document does the messenger bring in Act 2, Part 3, and how does the mayor choose to deal with it?
3. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
4. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
5. What does the conversation between Hildy and Peggy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 2 bring to light, and how do they relate to Hildy's inner struggle?
6. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
7. How does the final scene between Peggy, Hildy, and Burns tie in with the theme of the entire play, in particular, how it relates to Hildy's decision?
8. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
9. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
10. What does Louie report to Burns in Act 3, Part 1, and why is the response of the characters significant?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)