|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hildy want Peggy and Mrs. Grant to wait for him?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At the bus stop.
(d) At the paper's office.
2. What rule do Schwartz and Murphy say that Mrs. Schlosser has broken at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A police escort is required to enter the pressroom.
(b) All questions should be directed to their boss.
(c) Women are barred from the pressroom.
(d) Only people with press tags are allowed in the pressroom.
3. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, what did the psychiatrist do during Williams's examination?
(a) He recreated the crime.
(b) He left Williams alone in the room.
(c) He helped Williams escape.
(d) He angered Williams by asking certain questions.
4. What does Hildy wonder about the fire in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If it is at the gallows.
(b) If it has been put out yet.
(c) If it is at the school.
(d) If it is nearby.
5. Hildy is short for what name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mayor say about the senator's position in Act 2, Part 2?
2. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
3. How does the sheriff suggest to the reporters they can get more tickets to the hanging?
4. What comment do the reporters make about Hildy's appearance in Act 1, Part 3?
5. What does Louie think about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the senator's quotes at the end of Act 2, Part 2 say about his feelings towards the mayor, and how does the mayor respond?
2. What character traits are we already beginning to see in Mrs. Grant and what is interesting about her remark about Hildy on the way to cab, and the way Peggy responds in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
4. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
5. What does Hildy insist on receiving from Burns in return for the story in Act 2, Part 1?
6. What is the contrast in the way Hildy and Burns look at the same set of circumstances in the very beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
7. What are some of the interesting things that we learn about the sheriff in Act 1, Part 4?
8. What is the main point or reason for the argument between Peggy and Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 5?
9. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
10. How does Peggy react to Hildy's news in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2, and why?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)