Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Murphy's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
(b) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(c) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(d) He bribed a police officer.
2. Who is the mayor looking for in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The sheriff.
(c) Diamond Louie.
3. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A car crash.
(b) A police siren.
(c) The testing of the gallows.
(d) A burglary alarm.
4. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Three hours before the shooting.
(b) One hour before the shooting.
(c) The day before the shooting.
(d) Two days before the shooting.
5. Who did Williams tell he was innocent, according to Woodenshoe?
(c) His wife.
(d) His priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
2. In Act 1, Part 2, what do some of the reporters think Louie is lacking?
3. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
4. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
5. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burns deal with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1, and what parallel can be drawn between that and another character in the book?
2. What two different meanings can be interpreted from the way the other reporters react to Hildy's leaving in Act 1, Part 3?
3. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
4. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
6. What does the conversation between Hildy and Peggy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 2 bring to light, and how do they relate to Hildy's inner struggle?
7. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
8. What does Louie report to Burns in Act 3, Part 1, and why is the response of the characters significant?
9. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
10. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)