|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He thinks it is good riddance.
(c) He doesn't believe it.
(d) He says that he already knows.
2. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Not being able to resist Burns.
(b) Helping Williams escape.
(c) Not being honest with her.
(d) Wasting the money.
3. Hildy is short for what name?
4. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) Definition by contrast.
(b) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
(c) Analogy of fire.
(d) The use of money to represent character.
5. How much money does Hildy tell the other reporters he has received as a gift?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Woodenshoes being sent to get for the reporters in Act 1, Part 2?
2. What does Peggy remind Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
4. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
3. What does Hildy insist on receiving from Burns in return for the story in Act 2, Part 1?
4. Describe the press room in the beginning of The Front Page, and how it relates to the overall pace of the play in general.
5. What does the beginning conversation between the mayor and the sheriff in Act 2, Part 3 reveal about the past and how it relates to the present situation?
6. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
7. How does Hildy validate that he is leaving to the other reporters in Act 1, Part 3, and what is their reaction?
8. Who is Mrs. Schlosser, what rule does she break in Act 1, Part 2, and what does it say about the reporters in general?
9. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
10. How does Williams surprisingly reply to Mollie in Act 2, Part 4 when she offers to escape with him?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)