|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Schlosser looking for at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(a) The police sergeant.
(c) Her husband.
2. What job does Hildy tell the reporters he is quitting the paper for?
(a) A job as a police officer.
(b) An advertising job.
(c) A job as a lawyer.
(d) An accounting job.
3. What is Woodenshoes wondering at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) If the reporters know how Williams escaped.
(b) If Williams will shoot the reporters.
(c) If the reporters are looking for Williams.
(d) If the reporters still want burgers.
4. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
(a) The communist party.
(b) The chamber of commerce.
(c) The town council.
(d) The city's socialists.
5. What are the reporters talking about attending in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A press conference.
(b) A hanging.
(c) A court trial.
(d) A business dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Part 2, what do some of the reporters think Louie is lacking?
2. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
3. What do the reporters rudely suggest that Mollie is in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What are the other reporters doing in the background as McCue is talking with the woman in Act 1, Part 1?
5. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general attitude of the reporters in Act 1, Part 1?
2. Who is waiting for Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 1, and what decision does he now have to make as a result of his actions?
3. What joke does Hildy have at McCue's expense when the two cross paths in Act 2, Part 1?
4. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
5. Choose one reporter's account of the escape as an example and describe how it was relayed in Act 2, Part 1?
6. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
7. What do the senator's quotes at the end of Act 2, Part 2 say about his feelings towards the mayor, and how does the mayor respond?
8. What is the reason that Burns is upset with Hildy's story at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1, and what does that illustrate about his character?
9. What character traits are we already beginning to see in Mrs. Grant and what is interesting about her remark about Hildy on the way to cab, and the way Peggy responds in Act 2, Part 2?
10. What is the character of Woodenshoes like, and how is the interaction between him and the reporters significant in Act 1, Part 2?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)