|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
(a) The Chicago Inquisitor.
(b) The Enquirer.
(c) The Examiner.
(d) The Chicago Times.
2. Who did Williams tell he was innocent, according to Woodenshoe?
(a) His wife.
(b) His priest.
3. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) The Electric Thief.
(b) The Electric Murderer.
(c) The Electric Killer.
(d) The Electric Bandit.
4. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
(a) The chamber of commerce.
(b) The communist party.
(c) The city's socialists.
(d) The town council.
5. What does Mrs. Grant say about Hildy as she is getting into the cab?
(a) He is trustworthy.
(b) He is hiding something.
(c) He is irresponsible.
(d) He is a liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kruger, the reporter, doing at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy explain to Peggy that he told Burns in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
3. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
5. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one reporter's account of the escape as an example and describe how it was relayed in Act 2, Part 1?
2. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
3. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
4. How does Burns unintentionally reveal where Williams is hiding in Act 3, Part 2?
5. What do the other reporters illustrate when they urge the sheriff to interrogate Hildy in the beginning of Act 3, Part 2, and how does it contrast with what Hildy is doing?
6. What is the general attitude of the reporters in Act 1, Part 1?
7. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
8. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
9. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
10. Where did Hildy get the money from, and how does it lead to the discussion about the money the other reporters owe him in Act 1, Part 3?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)