|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hildy explain to Peggy that he told Burns in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
(a) That he was leaving the paper.
(b) That he was going to the party.
(c) That he was going to the train station.
(d) That he was staying with the paper temporarily.
2. What does Jennie ask the reporters at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If she can clean up.
(b) If she should quit the company.
(c) If they are always this messy.
(d) If she is late.
3. What best describes Hildy's state of mind at the end of Act 2, Part1?
4. What rule do Schwartz and Murphy say that Mrs. Schlosser has broken at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A police escort is required to enter the pressroom.
(b) Only people with press tags are allowed in the pressroom.
(c) All questions should be directed to their boss.
(d) Women are barred from the pressroom.
5. What is Murphy's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(b) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(c) He bribed a police officer.
(d) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
2. What kind of money does Hildy tell the reporters he will be making at his new job?
3. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
4. Who was the only person to defend Williams at his trial?
5. What is Woodenshoes being sent to get for the reporters in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
2. Who is Mollie and how is she treated by the reporters in the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
3. What is the character of Woodenshoes like, and how is the interaction between him and the reporters significant in Act 1, Part 2?
4. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
6. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
7. How does Williams surprisingly reply to Mollie in Act 2, Part 4 when she offers to escape with him?
8. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
9. When does Mollie say she saw Williams and how does she explain her relationship with him to the reporters in Act 1, Part 4?
10. How does Williams meet Hildy in Act 2, Part 4, and what does he explain to him about the police?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)