|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The meter for the cab is running.
(b) The sheriff is looking for them.
(c) Williams has escaped from jail.
(d) The streets are emptying.
2. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) One hour before the shooting.
(b) Two days before the shooting.
(c) The day before the shooting.
(d) Three hours before the shooting.
3. What does Hildy offer Jennie in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) To help her clean.
(b) To help her find a new job.
(c) A donut.
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
(a) Hildy's fiancé.
(c) Diamond Louie.
5. What does Mrs. Grant say about Hildy as she is getting into the cab?
(a) He is a liar.
(b) He is hiding something.
(c) He is trustworthy.
(d) He is irresponsible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What do Murphy and Endicott hope to get from the mayor in Act 2, Part 2?
3. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
4. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
5. The Front Page is set in the press room of which Chicago building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the way both the mayor and the sheriff respond to what the messenger does in Act 3, Part 3?
2. When does Mollie say she saw Williams and how does she explain her relationship with him to the reporters in Act 1, Part 4?
3. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
4. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
5. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
6. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
7. What is the reason that Burns is upset with Hildy's story at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1, and what does that illustrate about his character?
8. What is the main point or reason for the argument between Peggy and Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 5?
9. Where did Hildy get the money from, and how does it lead to the discussion about the money the other reporters owe him in Act 1, Part 3?
10. What two different meanings can be interpreted from the way the other reporters react to Hildy's leaving in Act 1, Part 3?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)