|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hildy tell Burns about the story he is giving him in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) It will be proven by testimonials.
(b) It will be the last one.
(c) It will be the first of a series of stories on jailbreaks.
(d) It was witnessed by a close friend.
2. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Two days before the shooting.
(b) One hour before the shooting.
(c) The day before the shooting.
(d) Three hours before the shooting.
3. What does Woodenshoes' theory about Williams entail?
(a) That he had a good reason for committing the murder.
(b) That the sheriff will shoot him on sight.
(c) Crime prevention.
(d) That he is innocent.
4. What does the mayor want to know from the sheriff in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) If the psychiatrist gave Williams the gun voluntarily.
(b) How soon they can capture Williams again.
(c) Why his men didn't shoot Williams.
(d) If Williams got the gun from him.
5. How much does Hildy tell Burns it cost him to get the full story of Williams' escape?
(a) Three hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Four hundred dollars
(c) Two hundred and sixty dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams' escape from jail indicate for Hildy?
2. In Act 1, Part 1, what does Schwartz tell McCue is the reason that Hildy quit?
3. How much money does Hildy tell the other reporters he has received as a gift?
4. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
5. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the mayor's orders to the sheriff about Williams at the end of Act 2, Part 3, and what influences them?
2. Who is Mrs. Schlosser, what rule does she break in Act 1, Part 2, and what does it say about the reporters in general?
3. What does Hildy insist on receiving from Burns in return for the story in Act 2, Part 1?
4. How does the final scene between Peggy, Hildy, and Burns tie in with the theme of the entire play, in particular, how it relates to Hildy's decision?
5. How does Williams meet Hildy in Act 2, Part 4, and what does he explain to him about the police?
6. What is one example from Act 1, Part 2 of the way the authors are portraying reporters as selfish people with only one agenda?
7. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
8. What does the conversation between Hildy and Peggy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 2 bring to light, and how do they relate to Hildy's inner struggle?
9. What request by the reporters is denied by the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2, and how does the request itself depict their priorities?
10. How does Hildy deal with the sheriff and what tactic does he use that the sheriff interestingly responds to in Act 1, Part 4?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)