|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) She doesn't believe Hildy's story.
(b) She knows he doesn't have it.
(c) She needs to pay the cab fare.
(d) So she can take care of it.
2. What is McCue's response to Hildy calling in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He doesn't notice.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is angry.
3. What is Woodenshoes wondering at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) If the reporters know how Williams escaped.
(b) If the reporters still want burgers.
(c) If Williams will shoot the reporters.
(d) If the reporters are looking for Williams.
4. Who is Mrs. Schlosser looking for at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(c) Her husband.
(d) The police sergeant.
5. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
(b) Definition by contrast.
(c) The use of money to represent character.
(d) Analogy of fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only person to defend Williams at his trial?
2. According to Bensiger in Act 1, Part 1, what do the other reporters use his area as?
3. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What reason does Mollie give for seeing Williams before the shooting?
5. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character traits are we already beginning to see in Mrs. Grant and what is interesting about her remark about Hildy on the way to cab, and the way Peggy responds in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
3. How does Hildy validate that he is leaving to the other reporters in Act 1, Part 3, and what is their reaction?
4. Describe the press room in the beginning of The Front Page, and how it relates to the overall pace of the play in general.
5. How does Williams meet Hildy in Act 2, Part 4, and what does he explain to him about the police?
6. What does Louie report to Burns in Act 3, Part 1, and why is the response of the characters significant?
7. How does Williams surprisingly reply to Mollie in Act 2, Part 4 when she offers to escape with him?
8. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
9. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
10. Who is waiting for Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 1, and what decision does he now have to make as a result of his actions?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)