|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As we learn in Act 1, Part 1, why is Bensinger protective of his desk?
(a) He recently got a new desk and phone.
(b) He doesn't like other reporters reading his files.
(c) He is hiding things in the desk drawers.
(d) He is obsessed with germs.
2. What does the mayor want to know from the sheriff in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) If the psychiatrist gave Williams the gun voluntarily.
(b) Why his men didn't shoot Williams.
(c) How soon they can capture Williams again.
(d) If Williams got the gun from him.
3. How much does Hildy tell Burns it cost him to get the full story of Williams' escape?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and sixty dollars.
(c) Three hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) Four hundred dollars
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
(a) Diamond Louie.
(b) Hildy's fiancé.
5. What do the reporters rudely suggest that Mollie is in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) A jealous person.
(b) A thief.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
2. What is Woodenshoes wondering at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
3. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
4. Hildy is short for what name?
5. What job does Hildy tell the reporters he is quitting the paper for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hildy deal with the sheriff and what tactic does he use that the sheriff interestingly responds to in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What impression does Hildy make in relation to his general character at the beginning of Act 1, Part 3?
3. Who is waiting for Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 1, and what decision does he now have to make as a result of his actions?
4. What is the contrast in the way Hildy and Burns look at the same set of circumstances in the very beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
5. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
6. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
7. What are the true motives of the mayor and the sheriff, as announced in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
8. Describe the press room in the beginning of The Front Page, and how it relates to the overall pace of the play in general.
9. How does Williams meet Hildy in Act 2, Part 4, and what does he explain to him about the police?
10. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)