|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls looking for Hildy in Act 1, Part 1?
(b) Walter Burns.
(c) The woman McCue was talking with earlier.
(d) The Mayor.
2. What is Jennie cleaning up at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Bensinger's desk.
(b) Glass and debris.
(c) The mess left by the reporters.
(d) Spilled water on the floor.
3. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
(a) The sheriff's deputy.
(c) The sheriff.
4. What does Williams' escape from jail indicate for Hildy?
(a) That he helped Williams escape.
(b) That he won't be able to leave town because of the chase.
(c) That he is still a reporter.
(d) That he lied about the money he received.
5. As Hildy is introduced in Act 1, Part 3, what is a major difference between him and the other reporters?
(a) He is not as confident as they are.
(b) He is more optimistic than they are.
(c) He is more depressed than they are.
(d) He is not as smart as they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the reporters rudely suggest that Mollie is in Act 1, Part 4?
2. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, who did Williams shoot once he got a gun?
3. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
4. Why do the other reporters not believe that Hildy has actually quit when they hear the news in Act 1, Part 1?
5. Louie states in Act 1, Part 2 that Hildy left for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
2. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
3. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
4. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What is interesting about the way both the mayor and the sheriff respond to what the messenger does in Act 3, Part 3?
6. What important document does the messenger bring in Act 2, Part 3, and how does the mayor choose to deal with it?
7. What character traits are we already beginning to see in Mrs. Grant and what is interesting about her remark about Hildy on the way to cab, and the way Peggy responds in Act 2, Part 2?
8. How does money play a subtle part in Peggy and Mrs. Grant's concerns that may differ with Hildy's at this point of the play in Act 2, Part 2?
9. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
10. What is the contrast in the way Hildy and Burns look at the same set of circumstances in the very beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)