|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
(a) The possible negative aspects of married life.
(b) The other reporters were right.
(c) The deception he is carrying.
(d) The possible positive aspects of married life.
2. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His desire to help people in need.
(b) His reporter's instinct.
(c) His fascination of disasters.
(d) His concern for the other reporters.
3. What rule do Schwartz and Murphy say that Mrs. Schlosser has broken at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Only people with press tags are allowed in the pressroom.
(b) Women are barred from the pressroom.
(c) All questions should be directed to their boss.
(d) A police escort is required to enter the pressroom.
4. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
(b) His fiancé.
(d) His brother.
5. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Another cleaning woman being shot.
(b) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
(c) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
(d) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pace does the play set during Act 1, Part 1, particularly where the dialogue is concerned?
2. What kind of money does Hildy tell the reporters he will be making at his new job?
3. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
4. What does Hildy explain to Peggy that he told Burns in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
5. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Hildy Johnson introduced in Act 1, Part 1?
2. What theory does Woodenshoes have about Williams in the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
3. What key role does the messenger play in Act 3, Part 3, and how do Hildy and Burns capitalize on it?
4. What character traits are we already beginning to see in Mrs. Grant and what is interesting about her remark about Hildy on the way to cab, and the way Peggy responds in Act 2, Part 2?
5. How does Mollie react to the reporters and what does Murphy do to cause her to leave in Act 1, Part 4?
6. What is the reaction of the reporters to the news of Hildy leaving in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about what Hildy and Burn's relationship may possibly be like at this point in the play?
7. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
8. What two different meanings can be interpreted from the way the other reporters react to Hildy's leaving in Act 1, Part 3?
9. How does money play a subtle part in Peggy and Mrs. Grant's concerns that may differ with Hildy's at this point of the play in Act 2, Part 2?
10. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)