|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
(a) Diamond Louie.
(d) Hildy's fiancé.
2. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He doesn't believe it.
(c) He thinks it is good riddance.
(d) He says that he already knows.
3. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Playing poker.
(b) Reading the newspaper.
(c) Interviewing a suspect.
(d) Telling jokes.
4. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(b) A newspaper.
(d) A hat.
5. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
(a) The chamber of commerce.
(b) The town council.
(c) The communist party.
(d) The city's socialists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
2. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
3. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
4. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
5. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the way both the mayor and the sheriff respond to what the messenger does in Act 3, Part 3?
2. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
3. How does the final scene between Peggy, Hildy, and Burns tie in with the theme of the entire play, in particular, how it relates to Hildy's decision?
4. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
6. What does Hildy's speech reveal about his feelings towards the newspaper business, and what event in Act 1, Part 3 somewhat contradicts it?
7. What is surprising about the way Burns reacts to being arrested in the beginning of Act 3, Part 3, and why do you think he reacts that way?
8. What are some of the interesting things that we learn about the sheriff in Act 1, Part 4?
9. Who is Mrs. Schlosser, what rule does she break in Act 1, Part 2, and what does it say about the reporters in general?
10. Choose one reporter's account of the escape as an example and describe how it was relayed in Act 2, Part 1?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)