|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(b) A hat.
(c) A newspaper.
2. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
(b) The sheriff.
3. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) The evidence against Williams.
(b) Williams's last meal.
(c) Williams's previous criminal record.
(d) The interview he had with Williams.
4. Who is Hildy waiting for in the press room at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The courier.
5. What does the sheriff say will never happen when the psychiatrist examines Williams?
(a) He will declare a mistrial.
(b) He will find that Williams is crazy.
(c) He will tell everyone that Williams should not be hung.
(d) He will find that Williams is not crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
2. What do Murphy and Endicott hope to get from the mayor in Act 2, Part 2?
3. What does Hildy tell Burns about the story he is giving him in Act 2, Part 1?
4. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
5. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the senator's quotes at the end of Act 2, Part 2 say about his feelings towards the mayor, and how does the mayor respond?
2. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
3. What is the similarity of the way Burns treats both Hildy and Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
4. What do the other reporters illustrate when they urge the sheriff to interrogate Hildy in the beginning of Act 3, Part 2, and how does it contrast with what Hildy is doing?
5. Choose one reporter's account of the escape as an example and describe how it was relayed in Act 2, Part 1?
6. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
7. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
8. What joke does Hildy have at McCue's expense when the two cross paths in Act 2, Part 1?
9. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
10. What are some of the interesting things that we learn about the sheriff in Act 1, Part 4?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)