|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) McCue is frustrated and hangs up.
(b) She is upset and hangs up.
(c) The connection is broken.
(d) One of the other reporters pulls the phone out of the wall.
2. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The streets are emptying.
(b) Williams has escaped from jail.
(c) The meter for the cab is running.
(d) The sheriff is looking for them.
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
(b) Hildy's fiancé.
(d) Diamond Louie.
4. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) She doesn't care about it.
(b) She is not surprised.
(c) She is surprised.
(d) She is angry.
5. In Act 1, Part 1, what does Schwartz tell McCue is the reason that Hildy quit?
(a) He accepted a better job.
(b) He was unhappy with his job.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) He left town.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bensinger, what won't the Sheriff change about the execution of Williams?
2. In Act 2, Part 1, what is obvious when comparing Hildy to the other reporters?
3. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
4. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
5. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
2. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
3. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
4. What is the response to the fire alarm ringing by the reporters in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about their characters?
5. What is the character of Woodenshoes like, and how is the interaction between him and the reporters significant in Act 1, Part 2?
6. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
7. Why is Bensinger so protective of his desk and phone in Act 1, Part 1?
8. How does Hildy's behavior in Act 3, Part 1 contrast with the way Burns acts?
9. How does Peggy react to Hildy's news in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2, and why?
10. What major event happens at the end of Act 1, Part 4, and what surprising decision does it lead Hildy to make?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)