|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(d) Mrs. Schlosser.
2. Who is Mrs. Schlosser looking for at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(b) The police sergeant.
(c) Her husband.
3. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) The connection is broken.
(b) McCue is frustrated and hangs up.
(c) One of the other reporters pulls the phone out of the wall.
(d) She is upset and hangs up.
4. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Prevent him from catching his train.
(b) Have him fired.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Have him exiled from the town.
5. Where does Hildy want Peggy and Mrs. Grant to wait for him?
(a) At the bus stop.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At the police station.
(d) At the paper's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws Mollie out of the room in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
3. What does Hildy tell Burns about the story he is giving him in Act 2, Part 1?
4. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
5. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response to the fire alarm ringing by the reporters in Act 1, Part 1, and what does it say about their characters?
2. What important fact do we learn by Murphy about the Mayor and the Sheriff in Act 1, Part 2?
3. What do the other reporters illustrate when they urge the sheriff to interrogate Hildy in the beginning of Act 3, Part 2, and how does it contrast with what Hildy is doing?
4. What is the main point or reason for the argument between Peggy and Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 5?
5. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
6. What does Hildy insist on receiving from Burns in return for the story in Act 2, Part 1?
7. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
8. What orders are given by the sheriff as Williams is discovered, how does Hildy try and stop what is about to happen at the end of Act 3, Part 2, and what does this series of events add to the overall pace of the play in general?
9. Where did Hildy get the money from, and how does it lead to the discussion about the money the other reporters owe him in Act 1, Part 3?
10. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)