|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A car crash.
(b) A police siren.
(c) A burglary alarm.
(d) The testing of the gallows.
2. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) She is surprised.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is not surprised.
(d) She doesn't care about it.
3. In Act 2, Part 1, what is obvious when comparing Hildy to the other reporters?
(a) Hildy is getting paid more for his story.
(b) Hildy is a better reporter.
(c) Hildy has a better editor.
(d) Hildy is a worse reporter.
4. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
(b) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
(c) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
(d) Another cleaning woman being shot.
5. Where does Kruger say Williams was seen while reporting the story to his paper in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Boarding a bus downtown.
(b) Robbing a local grocery store.
(c) Stealing a car downtown.
(d) Getting on a train at the station.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grant say about Hildy as she is getting into the cab?
2. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
3. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
4. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What best describes Hildy's state of mind at the end of Act 2, Part1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one thing Burns says that gets Hildy to write the story in Act 2, Part 5, and what does it say about Hildy's character?
2. Through the exchange of dialogue by the reporters as they are calling in their stories, what new information do we learn about the hanging of Williams in Act 1, Part 2?
3. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, how did Williams get the gun in order to escape from jail?
4. What does Williams tell Mollie about the escape and where he has been the whole time in Act 2, Part 4?
5. What are the possible motives of Mollie's desperate act at the end of Act 2, Part 4, and what might they cause Hildy to think about at this point in the play?
6. Who is Jennie, and what is the contrasting way the reporters and Hildy act towards her at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
7. What is the general attitude of the reporters in Act 1, Part 1?
8. What is the main point or reason for the argument between Peggy and Hildy at the end of Act 2, Part 5?
9. What does the way Williams escapes from jail reveal about the sheriff, and what is the sheriff's response to it in Act 2, Part 2 tell us about his character?
10. What key role does the messenger play in Act 3, Part 3, and how do Hildy and Burns capitalize on it?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)