|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
(b) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
(c) That Williams is armed.
(d) That Williams is harmless.
2. What does Hildy warn Burns about the other reporters in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) That they are trying to get Burns arrested.
(b) That they know the truth about Williams.
(c) That they are trying to get Williams killed.
(d) That they will be back soon.
3. In reaction to Mrs. Grant's testimony in Act 3, Part 2, how does Burns inadvertently reveal where Williams is hiding?
(a) He tells the sheriff that Mollie knows where Williams is.
(b) He shouts out the hiding place by accident.
(c) He causes Hildy to tell the sheriff where Williams is.
(d) He signals it is safe for Williams to come out.
4. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
5. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he is leaving the newspaper for good.
(b) That he wants the money he owes him from before.
(c) That he will write stories in his own way.
(d) That he staying with the newspaper for good.
6. What is Burns planning to do with Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Turn him in.
(b) Transport him to the paper.
(c) Keep him hidden at the pressroom.
(d) Give him to Hildy.
7. In Act 2, Part 3, what does the mayor tell the sheriff almost cost them the election a couple of years ago?
(a) The sheriff's mistake.
(b) The voters' mistake.
(c) The mayor's mistake.
(d) The press's mistake.
8. What does the mayor order after hearing the messenger tell the truth in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) For the messenger to be taken away.
(b) For Hildy and Burns to be released.
(c) For the execution to go on as planned.
(d) For Hildy and Burns to be given money to silence them.
9. What does Burns say about Mrs. Grant to discredit her story in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That she is an angry ex mother-in-law.
(b) That she is blackmailing him.
(c) That she is drunk.
(d) That she is senile.
10. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The sheriff's closet.
(b) The roof.
(c) The bus station.
(d) The train station.
11. Who sends the reprieve to cancel the execution in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) The senator.
(b) The state representative.
(c) The governor.
(d) The president.
12. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The hallway.
(b) The other office.
(c) The bathroom.
13. What does Mollie grab to defend herself with towards the end of Act 2, Part 4?
(a) A knife.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) The gun.
(d) A chair.
14. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
(b) The courier.
(c) The sheriff.
15. Where does the sheriff look for Williams originally in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The hallway.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The fire escape.
(d) The other office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the reporters urging the Sheriff to do in Act 3, Part 2?
2. According to Burns at the end of Act 3, Part 1, what is ruining everything?
3. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
4. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
5. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)