|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his phone conversation, what does the Sheriff do in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) He arrests Bensinger.
(b) He arrests Mollie, Hildy, and Burns.
(c) He arrests Mollie and Hildy.
(d) He arrests Hildy and Burns.
2. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Not loving her.
(b) Lying to her.
(d) Knowing where Williams is.
3. What does the sheriff tell the warden in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) To make room for Hildy and Burns.
(b) To make room for Williams.
(c) The execution is postponed.
(d) The execution is going as planned.
4. Where does Hildy hide Williams as the other reporters are coming back in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The fire escape.
(b) Underneath his desk.
(c) Behind a file cabinet.
(d) Bensinger's desk.
5. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He fires the sheriff.
(d) He doesn't believe the sheriff.
6. What state of mind is the messenger in when he first enters in Act 3, Part 3?
7. How much money does Louie agree to give Hildy for an IOU?
(a) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
8. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
(a) Shoot Williams.
(b) Shoot Hildy.
(c) Remove Burns.
(d) Remove Hildy.
9. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
(b) That Williams is armed.
(c) That Williams is harmless.
(d) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
10. What character's actions earlier in the play are similar to Burns' actions with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The mayor.
11. What does Burns convince Hildy to take at the end of Act 3, Part 3?
(b) His pen and notebook.
(c) His watch.
(d) A better job.
12. How does Burns tell Hildy he is behaving when he protests Mrs. Grant being taken away?
13. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Five knocks.
(b) The word, "freedom."
(c) The word, "safety."
(d) Three knocks.
14. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) It is his gun.
(b) It is the same type of gun that Williams owns.
(c) It matches the description from the witnesses.
(d) He saw it when Williams escaped.
15. How many wives treated Burns badly, as he reveals in Act 3, Part 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
3. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
4. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
5. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)