|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the reporters urging the Sheriff to do in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) Shoot Burns.
(b) Find Mrs. Grant.
(c) Question Hildy.
(d) Shoot Hildy.
2. According to Louie, what crashes into a police car in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) A bus.
(b) Another police car.
(c) A train.
(d) A cab.
3. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
(a) Don't open the door.
(b) Be calm.
(c) Go out through the back door.
(d) Arrest Hildy.
4. Who does Hidly call at the end of Act 2, Part 3?
5. What does Burns say about Mrs. Grant to discredit her story in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That she is blackmailing him.
(b) That she is an angry ex mother-in-law.
(c) That she is drunk.
(d) That she is senile.
6. What does Burns keep asking Hildy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Where Williams is.
(b) Where the sheriff is.
(c) Where the other reporters are.
(d) Where Mollie is.
7. What does Hildy admit to Peggy during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) That he thinks a career as a reporter is more important than her.
(b) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(c) That he is a horrible human being.
(d) That the other reporters were right about her.
8. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Wanting him to be a loser.
(b) Being part of the corruption.
(c) Being the last one to see Williams before the murder.
(d) Wanting him to be someone else.
9. Where does the sheriff look for Williams originally in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The other office.
(b) The fire escape.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The hallway.
10. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The courier.
(b) The sheriff.
11. How many men does the sheriff tell the mayor he has sworn in as new deputies in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
12. What does the mayor tell the sheriff they will need in order to win the next election in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) White voters.
(b) Less hangings.
(c) A lower crime rate.
(d) Colored voters.
13. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
(b) That Williams is harmless.
(c) That Williams is armed.
(d) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
14. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) At Mollie's.
(b) On a bus.
(c) At the gallows.
(d) On a train.
15. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Cleaning the offices.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Covering sports.
(d) A weekly column.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
2. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
3. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
4. How many wives treated Burns badly, as he reveals in Act 3, Part 1?
5. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)