|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Five knocks.
(b) Three knocks.
(c) The word, "safety."
(d) The word, "freedom."
2. Who is with the reporters as Hildy opens the door at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The mayor.
(c) The sheriff.
3. Where does the sheriff look for Williams originally in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The other office.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The hallway.
(d) The fire escape.
4. What does Hildy accuse Burns of in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Killing Williams.
(b) Killing Mrs. Grant.
(c) Being bribed by the sheriff.
(d) Being bribed by the mayor.
5. What are Hildy and Burns charged with in Act 3, Part 3?
(b) Harboring a fugitive.
(d) Obstruction of justice.
6. What does Hildy admit to Peggy during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) That he doesn't love her anymore.
(b) That the other reporters were right about her.
(c) That he is a horrible human being.
(d) That he thinks a career as a reporter is more important than her.
7. What does the sheriff tell the warden in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) The execution is going as planned.
(b) To make room for Hildy and Burns.
(c) The execution is postponed.
(d) To make room for Williams.
8. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The train station.
(b) The bus station.
(c) The sheriff's closet.
(d) The roof.
9. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The chance to help a murderer escape.
(b) The money he will make.
(c) The chance to make a difference.
(d) The chance to leave Peggy.
10. The purpose of Act 2, Part 3 is to illustrate what major difference in the characters of Hildy, the mayor, and the sheriff?
(a) The integrity that the mayor has, and the lack of integrity of Hildy and the sheriff.
(b) The integrity that Hildy and the mayor have, and the lack of integrity of the sheriff.
(c) The integrity that Hildy has, and the lack of integrity of the mayor and the sheriff.
(d) The integrity that the mayor and the sheriff have, and the lack of integrity of Hildy.
11. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) He wants more money.
(b) He forgot why he kept it.
(c) He can't be bribed.
(d) He wants a better job.
12. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(c) The sheriff's incompetence.
(d) Political corruption.
13. Who does the sheriff accuse Hildy of conspiring with to hide Williams at the beginning of Act 3, Part 2?
14. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
(a) Shoot Hildy.
(b) Remove Hildy.
(c) Shoot Williams.
(d) Remove Burns.
15. What does the sheriff do after hearing the mayor's instructions in Act 3, Part 3?
(c) Refuses to follow them.
(d) Leaves the room immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
2. What does Williams urge the sheriff to do at the beginning of Act 3, Part 3?
3. Where does Hildy hide Williams as the other reporters are coming back in Act 2, Part 4?
4. What is Peggy doing as she goes to leave in Act 2, Part 5?
5. What are the reporters doing as they phone in their stories in Act 3, Part 3?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)