|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mayor tell the sheriff they will need in order to win the next election in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) White voters.
(b) A lower crime rate.
(c) Less hangings.
(d) Colored voters.
2. How does Burns tell Hildy he is behaving when he protests Mrs. Grant being taken away?
3. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he is leaving the newspaper for good.
(b) That he will write stories in his own way.
(c) That he wants the money he owes him from before.
(d) That he staying with the newspaper for good.
4. What does Burns tell Hildy on the phone in Act 2, Part 4 after hearing that Williams is with him?
(a) He will give Hildy a lot more money.
(b) He is coming right over.
(c) He doesn't believe him.
(d) He will be there in a few hours.
5. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) A new job in another city.
(b) A one time payment of one thousand dollars.
(c) A new job with higher pay.
(d) A one time payment of five hundred dollars.
6. What does Williams urge the sheriff to do at the beginning of Act 3, Part 3?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Arrest Burns.
(c) Arrest Hildy.
(d) Let him go.
7. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
8. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The sheriff's closet.
(b) The roof.
(c) The train station.
(d) The bus station.
9. What does the sheriff do after hearing the mayor's instructions in Act 3, Part 3?
(c) Refuses to follow them.
(d) Leaves the room immediately.
10. As he escorts the messenger out in Act 2, Part 3, what does the Mayor tell him to do?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Join the other deputies in searching for Williams.
(c) Lay low for a while.
(d) Get out of town.
11. Where does Burns tell Louie to go at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) To go and get people to move the desk.
(b) To go and get the police.
(c) To go and get people to distract the police.
(d) To go and get the Mayor.
12. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
(a) The sighting of Williams at the train station.
(b) The freedom of the press.
(c) The socialist scare.
(d) The murder Williams is accused of.
13. The purpose of Act 2, Part 3 is to illustrate what major difference in the characters of Hildy, the mayor, and the sheriff?
(a) The integrity that the mayor and the sheriff have, and the lack of integrity of Hildy.
(b) The integrity that Hildy has, and the lack of integrity of the mayor and the sheriff.
(c) The integrity that Hildy and the mayor have, and the lack of integrity of the sheriff.
(d) The integrity that the mayor has, and the lack of integrity of Hildy and the sheriff.
14. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) He can't be bribed.
(b) He wants a better job.
(c) He forgot why he kept it.
(d) He wants more money.
15. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) That Hildy shot the psychiatrist.
(b) That Hildy has caught a murderer.
(c) That Hildy helped Williams escape from his examination.
(d) That Hildy isn't getting married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state of mind is the messenger in when he first enters in Act 3, Part 3?
2. What is it about Hildy's story that causes Burns and Hildy to argue in Act 3, Part 1?
3. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
4. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
5. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)