|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The sheriff.
2. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
(a) Arrest Hildy.
(b) Be calm.
(c) Go out through the back door.
(d) Don't open the door.
3. What does Hildy warn Burns about the other reporters in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) That they are trying to get Williams killed.
(b) That they are trying to get Burns arrested.
(c) That they will be back soon.
(d) That they know the truth about Williams.
4. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
(b) The sheriff.
(d) The courier.
5. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
(a) He fires the sheriff.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He doesn't believe the sheriff.
6. How does Burns tell Hildy he is behaving when he protests Mrs. Grant being taken away?
7. What does the mayor order after hearing the messenger tell the truth in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) For the execution to go on as planned.
(b) For the messenger to be taken away.
(c) For Hildy and Burns to be given money to silence them.
(d) For Hildy and Burns to be released.
8. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
(a) The socialist scare.
(b) The freedom of the press.
(c) The sighting of Williams at the train station.
(d) The murder Williams is accused of.
9. How many men does the sheriff tell the mayor he has sworn in as new deputies in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
10. As he escorts the messenger out in Act 2, Part 3, what does the Mayor tell him to do?
(a) Get out of town.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Join the other deputies in searching for Williams.
(d) Lay low for a while.
11. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he staying with the newspaper for good.
(b) That he will write stories in his own way.
(c) That he wants the money he owes him from before.
(d) That he is leaving the newspaper for good.
12. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
(b) That Williams is harmless.
(c) That Williams is armed.
(d) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
13. How much of a reward does the sheriff offer the deputies to kill Williams?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
14. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
(b) The sheriff.
(d) The mayor.
15. What does Mollie grab to defend herself with towards the end of Act 2, Part 4?
(a) A knife.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) The gun.
(d) A chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burns convince Hildy to take at the end of Act 3, Part 3?
2. What does Peggy accuse Hildy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
3. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
4. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
5. What does the sheriff do after hearing the mayor's instructions in Act 3, Part 3?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)