|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Hildy's story that causes Burns and Hildy to argue in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) There is no mention of the paper in the ending paragraph.
(b) There is no mention of the paper in the first paragraph.
(c) There is no mention of Burns in the story.
(d) There is no mention of the paper in the title.
2. What are the reporters urging the Sheriff to do in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) Find Mrs. Grant.
(b) Shoot Burns.
(c) Question Hildy.
(d) Shoot Hildy.
3. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) At the gallows.
(b) At Mollie's.
(c) On a bus.
(d) On a train.
4. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
(c) The mayor.
5. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The mayor.
(d) The sheriff.
6. How many men does the sheriff tell the mayor he has sworn in as new deputies in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Four hundred.
7. What does Burns convince Hildy to take at the end of Act 3, Part 3?
(b) A better job.
(c) His pen and notebook.
(d) His watch.
8. What does Burns keep asking Hildy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Where the other reporters are.
(b) Where Williams is.
(c) Where the sheriff is.
(d) Where Mollie is.
9. What causes Hildy to hang up the phone angrily in the beginning of Act 2, Part 4?
(a) He learns that Burns is not using his story.
(b) He learns that Williams may have been shot.
(c) He learns that Williams may have escaped from the city.
(d) He learns that Burns has not sent the money over yet.
10. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
11. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Being part of the corruption.
(b) Being the last one to see Williams before the murder.
(c) Wanting him to be someone else.
(d) Wanting him to be a loser.
12. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
(a) Go out through the back door.
(b) Arrest Hildy.
(c) Don't open the door.
(d) Be calm.
13. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) That Hildy isn't getting married.
(b) That Hildy helped Williams escape from his examination.
(c) That Hildy has caught a murderer.
(d) That Hildy shot the psychiatrist.
14. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
(a) He doesn't believe the sheriff.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He fires the sheriff.
15. What is Hildy trying to do as Williams falls from the window?
(a) Get more money from Louie.
(c) Call Burns.
(d) Call the Sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
2. The purpose of Act 2, Part 3 is to illustrate what major difference in the characters of Hildy, the mayor, and the sheriff?
3. How does Burns tell Hildy he is behaving when he protests Mrs. Grant being taken away?
4. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
5. Who does the sheriff accuse Hildy of conspiring with to hide Williams at the beginning of Act 3, Part 2?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)