|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(b) The sheriff's incompetence.
(d) Political corruption.
2. In reaction to Mrs. Grant's testimony in Act 3, Part 2, how does Burns inadvertently reveal where Williams is hiding?
(a) He signals it is safe for Williams to come out.
(b) He tells the sheriff that Mollie knows where Williams is.
(c) He shouts out the hiding place by accident.
(d) He causes Hildy to tell the sheriff where Williams is.
3. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
(a) Remove Burns.
(b) Shoot Williams.
(c) Remove Hildy.
(d) Shoot Hildy.
4. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he will write stories in his own way.
(b) That he wants the money he owes him from before.
(c) That he staying with the newspaper for good.
(d) That he is leaving the newspaper for good.
5. What does the mayor tell the sheriff they will need in order to win the next election in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) Less hangings.
(b) Colored voters.
(c) White voters.
(d) A lower crime rate.
6. What is Peggy doing as she goes to leave in Act 2, Part 5?
(d) Ignoring Hildy.
7. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) A new job with higher pay.
(b) A one time payment of one thousand dollars.
(c) A one time payment of five hundred dollars.
(d) A new job in another city.
8. How much of a reward does the sheriff offer the deputies to kill Williams?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
9. What is Hildy trying to do as Williams falls from the window?
(a) Get more money from Louie.
(c) Call the Sheriff.
(d) Call Burns.
10. How much money does Louie agree to give Hildy for an IOU?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
11. What state of mind is the messenger in when he first enters in Act 3, Part 3?
12. What does Burns tell the mayor, after being arrested in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he is going to the state authorities.
(b) That he will seek revenge.
(c) That the mayor will lose the election.
(d) That the mayor killed the police officer, not Williams.
13. As he escorts the messenger out in Act 2, Part 3, what does the Mayor tell him to do?
(a) Lay low for a while.
(b) Get out of town.
(c) Call the police.
(d) Join the other deputies in searching for Williams.
14. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He doesn't believe the sheriff.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He fires the sheriff.
15. What does the sheriff do after hearing the mayor's instructions in Act 3, Part 3?
(b) Refuses to follow them.
(c) Leaves the room immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
2. Who does Hidly call at the end of Act 2, Part 3?
3. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
4. What does Hildy warn Burns about the other reporters in Act 3, Part 1?
5. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)