|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That Williams is harmless.
(b) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
(c) That Williams is armed.
(d) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
2. What is Peggy doing as she goes to leave in Act 2, Part 5?
(b) Ignoring Hildy.
3. The purpose of Act 2, Part 3 is to illustrate what major difference in the characters of Hildy, the mayor, and the sheriff?
(a) The integrity that the mayor has, and the lack of integrity of Hildy and the sheriff.
(b) The integrity that the mayor and the sheriff have, and the lack of integrity of Hildy.
(c) The integrity that Hildy and the mayor have, and the lack of integrity of the sheriff.
(d) The integrity that Hildy has, and the lack of integrity of the mayor and the sheriff.
4. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
(b) The mayor.
5. How much money does Louie agree to give Hildy for an IOU?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred and fifty dollars.
6. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(c) The sheriff.
7. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The train station.
(b) The bus station.
(c) The sheriff's closet.
(d) The roof.
8. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
(a) Don't open the door.
(b) Go out through the back door.
(c) Be calm.
(d) Arrest Hildy.
9. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) At the gallows.
(b) At Mollie's.
(c) On a bus.
(d) On a train.
10. Where does Burns tell Louie to go at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) To go and get people to distract the police.
(b) To go and get people to move the desk.
(c) To go and get the Mayor.
(d) To go and get the police.
11. What does Burns convince Hildy to take at the end of Act 3, Part 3?
(a) His pen and notebook.
(b) His watch.
(d) A better job.
12. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) That Hildy isn't getting married.
(b) That Hildy helped Williams escape from his examination.
(c) That Hildy shot the psychiatrist.
(d) That Hildy has caught a murderer.
13. What does Peggy tell Hildy at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That she thinks he should stay and write for the newspaper.
(b) That she needs the money he took before.
(c) That she loves him just the way he is.
(d) That they missed their train.
14. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
(b) The sheriff.
(d) The courier.
15. What does the sheriff do after hearing the mayor's instructions in Act 3, Part 3?
(c) Leaves the room immediately.
(d) Refuses to follow them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
2. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
3. What character's actions earlier in the play are similar to Burns' actions with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1?
4. What does Burns tell the mayor, after being arrested in Act 3, Part 3?
5. What does the sheriff order the deputies to do at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)