|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
(a) Go out through the back door.
(b) Arrest Hildy.
(c) Don't open the door.
(d) Be calm.
2. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The sheriff.
3. What causes Hildy to hang up the phone angrily in the beginning of Act 2, Part 4?
(a) He learns that Williams may have escaped from the city.
(b) He learns that Burns has not sent the money over yet.
(c) He learns that Burns is not using his story.
(d) He learns that Williams may have been shot.
4. As he escorts the messenger out in Act 2, Part 3, what does the Mayor tell him to do?
(a) Join the other deputies in searching for Williams.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Get out of town.
(d) Lay low for a while.
5. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he will write stories in his own way.
(b) That he staying with the newspaper for good.
(c) That he is leaving the newspaper for good.
(d) That he wants the money he owes him from before.
6. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The mayor.
7. What does Burns convince Hildy to take at the end of Act 3, Part 3?
(a) His pen and notebook.
(b) A better job.
(c) His watch.
8. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
9. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The bus station.
(b) The sheriff's closet.
(c) The train station.
(d) The roof.
10. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) He wants more money.
(b) He can't be bribed.
(c) He forgot why he kept it.
(d) He wants a better job.
11. Who sends the reprieve to cancel the execution in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) The governor.
(b) The senator.
(c) The state representative.
(d) The president.
12. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
(a) The socialist scare.
(b) The freedom of the press.
(c) The sighting of Williams at the train station.
(d) The murder Williams is accused of.
13. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The chance to help a murderer escape.
(b) The chance to make a difference.
(c) The chance to leave Peggy.
(d) The money he will make.
14. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) That Hildy shot the psychiatrist.
(b) That Hildy helped Williams escape from his examination.
(c) That Hildy isn't getting married.
(d) That Hildy has caught a murderer.
15. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
(b) The mayor.
(c) The sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Louie, what crashes into a police car in Act 3, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy warn Burns about the other reporters in Act 3, Part 1?
3. Who does the sheriff accuse Hildy of conspiring with to hide Williams at the beginning of Act 3, Part 2?
4. After his phone conversation, what does the Sheriff do in Act 3, Part 2?
5. Who is with the reporters as Hildy opens the door at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)