|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Louie, what crashes into a police car in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Another police car.
(b) A bus.
(c) A train.
(d) A cab.
2. What are Hildy and Burns charged with in Act 3, Part 3?
(b) Obstruction of justice.
(c) Harboring a fugitive.
3. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The sheriff.
4. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
(a) The murder Williams is accused of.
(b) The sighting of Williams at the train station.
(c) The socialist scare.
(d) The freedom of the press.
5. As he escorts the messenger out in Act 2, Part 3, what does the Mayor tell him to do?
(a) Join the other deputies in searching for Williams.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Lay low for a while.
(d) Get out of town.
6. What does Hildy accuse Burns of in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Killing Williams.
(b) Killing Mrs. Grant.
(c) Being bribed by the mayor.
(d) Being bribed by the sheriff.
7. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That Williams is harmless.
(b) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
(c) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
(d) That Williams is armed.
8. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) He can't be bribed.
(b) He wants more money.
(c) He wants a better job.
(d) He forgot why he kept it.
9. What causes Hildy to hang up the phone angrily in the beginning of Act 2, Part 4?
(a) He learns that Williams may have been shot.
(b) He learns that Williams may have escaped from the city.
(c) He learns that Burns is not using his story.
(d) He learns that Burns has not sent the money over yet.
10. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The word, "freedom."
(b) The word, "safety."
(c) Five knocks.
(d) Three knocks.
11. What state of mind is the messenger in when he first enters in Act 3, Part 3?
12. In reaction to Mrs. Grant's testimony in Act 3, Part 2, how does Burns inadvertently reveal where Williams is hiding?
(a) He causes Hildy to tell the sheriff where Williams is.
(b) He shouts out the hiding place by accident.
(c) He tells the sheriff that Mollie knows where Williams is.
(d) He signals it is safe for Williams to come out.
13. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) At Mollie's.
(b) On a bus.
(c) At the gallows.
(d) On a train.
14. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) It is the only thing keeping him alive.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It is the murder weapon.
(d) It is loaded.
15. What does the sheriff do after hearing the mayor's instructions in Act 3, Part 3?
(b) Refuses to follow them.
(c) Leaves the room immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character's actions earlier in the play are similar to Burns' actions with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy admit to Peggy during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
3. What is Burns planning to do with Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
4. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
5. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)