|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Part 3, what does the mayor tell the sheriff almost cost them the election a couple of years ago?
(a) The voters' mistake.
(b) The press's mistake.
(c) The mayor's mistake.
(d) The sheriff's mistake.
2. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
3. Why does the messenger give the mayor back the reprieve in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) He wants more money.
(b) He forgot why he kept it.
(c) He wants a better job.
(d) He can't be bribed.
4. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The sheriff.
(c) The courier.
5. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) It is the same type of gun that Williams owns.
(b) It matches the description from the witnesses.
(c) It is his gun.
(d) He saw it when Williams escaped.
6. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He doesn't believe the sheriff.
(d) He fires the sheriff.
7. What does Burns say about Mrs. Grant to discredit her story in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That she is blackmailing him.
(b) That she is drunk.
(c) That she is an angry ex mother-in-law.
(d) That she is senile.
8. How much of a reward does the sheriff offer the deputies to kill Williams?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
9. How many wives treated Burns badly, as he reveals in Act 3, Part 1?
10. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) A half hour.
(c) An hour.
(d) Ten minutes.
11. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) A one time payment of five hundred dollars.
(b) A one time payment of one thousand dollars.
(c) A new job with higher pay.
(d) A new job in another city.
12. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) It is the murder weapon.
(b) It is loaded.
(c) It is empty.
(d) It is the only thing keeping him alive.
13. What does Burns tell Hildy on the phone in Act 2, Part 4 after hearing that Williams is with him?
(a) He will give Hildy a lot more money.
(b) He is coming right over.
(c) He will be there in a few hours.
(d) He doesn't believe him.
14. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(c) The sheriff's incompetence.
(d) Political corruption.
15. What is Peggy doing as she goes to leave in Act 2, Part 5?
(c) Ignoring Hildy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hidly call at the end of Act 2, Part 3?
2. Who does the sheriff pretend to be on the phone in Act 3, Part 2?
3. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
4. What character's actions earlier in the play are similar to Burns' actions with Bensinger in Act 3, Part 1?
5. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)