|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he escorts the messenger out in Act 2, Part 3, what does the Mayor tell him to do?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Join the other deputies in searching for Williams.
(c) Get out of town.
(d) Lay low for a while.
2. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) It is empty.
(b) It is the murder weapon.
(c) It is the only thing keeping him alive.
(d) It is loaded.
3. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The train station.
(b) The sheriff's closet.
(c) The bus station.
(d) The roof.
4. What does Burns keep asking Hildy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Where the sheriff is.
(b) Where the other reporters are.
(c) Where Williams is.
(d) Where Mollie is.
5. What does Williams urge the sheriff to do at the beginning of Act 3, Part 3?
(a) Arrest Burns.
(b) Arrest Hildy.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Let him go.
6. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The sheriff's incompetence.
(b) Political corruption.
7. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Covering sports.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Cleaning the offices.
(d) A weekly column.
8. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The courier.
(c) The sheriff.
9. In Act 2, Part 3, what does the mayor tell the sheriff almost cost them the election a couple of years ago?
(a) The sheriff's mistake.
(b) The voters' mistake.
(c) The mayor's mistake.
(d) The press's mistake.
10. What state of mind is the messenger in when he first enters in Act 3, Part 3?
11. What does the sheriff tell the warden in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) The execution is postponed.
(b) To make room for Williams.
(c) To make room for Hildy and Burns.
(d) The execution is going as planned.
12. Who is with the reporters as Hildy opens the door at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The mayor.
(c) The sheriff.
13. What does Hildy tell the sheriff as his deputies surround Williams in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) That Williams is armed.
(b) That Williams knows about the affair the sheriff is having with the librarian.
(c) That Williams is harmless.
(d) That he should be arrested for political corruption.
14. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
(a) The murder Williams is accused of.
(b) The socialist scare.
(c) The freedom of the press.
(d) The sighting of Williams at the train station.
15. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) An hour.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) A half hour.
(d) Ten minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his phone conversation, what does the Sheriff do in Act 3, Part 2?
2. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
3. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
4. According to Burns at the end of Act 3, Part 1, what is ruining everything?
5. In reaction to Mrs. Grant's testimony in Act 3, Part 2, how does Burns inadvertently reveal where Williams is hiding?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)