|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the reporters doing as they phone in their stories in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) Stealing Hildy's reporting.
(b) Trying to impress Burns so he will hire them.
(c) Making up details.
(d) Asking for raises.
2. What draws Hildy back into the world of journalism in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The chance to help a murderer escape.
(b) The money he will make.
(c) The chance to leave Peggy.
(d) The chance to make a difference.
3. What is Burns planning to do with Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Turn him in.
(b) Keep him hidden at the pressroom.
(c) Transport him to the paper.
(d) Give him to Hildy.
4. What does Burns explain the story is really about to Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Political corruption.
(d) The sheriff's incompetence.
5. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The other office.
(c) The hallway.
6. What is Hildy talking about repeatedly at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
(a) His money.
(b) What Mollie did.
(c) The other reporters and their actions.
(d) Williams escaping.
7. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The word, "freedom."
(b) Five knocks.
(c) Three knocks.
(d) The word, "safety."
8. What does Mrs. Grant inadvertently reveal to the other reporters in her attempt to get Hildy to leave with her in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) That Hildy has caught a murderer.
(b) That Hildy helped Williams escape from his examination.
(c) That Hildy isn't getting married.
(d) That Hildy shot the psychiatrist.
9. Where does the sheriff look for Williams originally in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The other office.
(b) The fire escape.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The hallway.
10. How much money does Louie agree to give Hildy for an IOU?
(a) Two hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
11. What does the mayor order after hearing the messenger tell the truth in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) For Hildy and Burns to be released.
(b) For the messenger to be taken away.
(c) For Hildy and Burns to be given money to silence them.
(d) For the execution to go on as planned.
12. What is it about Hildy's story that causes Burns and Hildy to argue in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) There is no mention of the paper in the first paragraph.
(b) There is no mention of the paper in the title.
(c) There is no mention of the paper in the ending paragraph.
(d) There is no mention of Burns in the story.
13. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
(a) Don't open the door.
(b) Be calm.
(c) Go out through the back door.
(d) Arrest Hildy.
14. Where does Hildy hide Williams as the other reporters are coming back in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) Behind a file cabinet.
(b) The fire escape.
(c) Bensinger's desk.
(d) Underneath his desk.
15. Where does Williams reveal to Mollie that he has been hiding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The train station.
(b) The bus station.
(c) The sheriff's closet.
(d) The roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
2. What does Hildy finally tell Burns at the end of the play in Act 3, Part 3?
3. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
4. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
5. Who hangs up angrily on Hildy in Act 2, Part 4?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)