|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The word, "freedom."
(b) Five knocks.
(c) Three knocks.
(d) The word, "safety."
2. What is it about Hildy's story that causes Burns and Hildy to argue in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) There is no mention of the paper in the first paragraph.
(b) There is no mention of Burns in the story.
(c) There is no mention of the paper in the ending paragraph.
(d) There is no mention of the paper in the title.
3. What is Burns planning to do with Williams in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Give him to Hildy.
(b) Turn him in.
(c) Transport him to the paper.
(d) Keep him hidden at the pressroom.
4. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Being the last one to see Williams before the murder.
(b) Wanting him to be a loser.
(c) Wanting him to be someone else.
(d) Being part of the corruption.
5. How many wives treated Burns badly, as he reveals in Act 3, Part 1?
6. The purpose of Act 2, Part 3 is to illustrate what major difference in the characters of Hildy, the mayor, and the sheriff?
(a) The integrity that the mayor and the sheriff have, and the lack of integrity of Hildy.
(b) The integrity that Hildy has, and the lack of integrity of the mayor and the sheriff.
(c) The integrity that Hildy and the mayor have, and the lack of integrity of the sheriff.
(d) The integrity that the mayor has, and the lack of integrity of Hildy and the sheriff.
7. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) It is the only thing keeping him alive.
(b) It is the murder weapon.
(c) It is empty.
(d) It is loaded.
8. What are the reporters urging the Sheriff to do in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) Shoot Hildy.
(b) Question Hildy.
(c) Find Mrs. Grant.
(d) Shoot Burns.
9. How many men does the sheriff tell the mayor he has sworn in as new deputies in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
10. Where does Woodenshoes tell Hildy that Williams is likely to be in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) At Mollie's.
(b) On a train.
(c) At the gallows.
(d) On a bus.
11. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) It matches the description from the witnesses.
(b) It is the same type of gun that Williams owns.
(c) It is his gun.
(d) He saw it when Williams escaped.
12. Who does Peggy blame for distracting Hildy in Act 2, Part 5?
(c) The sheriff.
13. In Act 2, Part 3, what does the mayor tell the sheriff almost cost them the election a couple of years ago?
(a) The sheriff's mistake.
(b) The press's mistake.
(c) The voters' mistake.
(d) The mayor's mistake.
14. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) A weekly column.
(b) Cleaning the offices.
(c) Writing poetry.
(d) Covering sports.
15. Who interrupts the sheriff's plans at the end of Act 3, Part 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends the reprieve to cancel the execution in Act 2, Part 3?
2. What does the sheriff tell the warden in Act 3, Part 3?
3. What does Burns tell Hildy on the phone in Act 2, Part 4 after hearing that Williams is with him?
4. Acting on Burns' orders, who takes Mrs. Grant out in Act 2, Part 5?
5. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)