|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the signal that Williams is safe, according to Burns at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) The word, "safety."
(b) Five knocks.
(c) The word, "freedom."
(d) Three knocks.
2. How long does Burns think it will take his men to get there at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) A half hour.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) An hour.
3. What does the mayor tell the sheriff they will need in order to win the next election in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) White voters.
(b) Colored voters.
(c) A lower crime rate.
(d) Less hangings.
4. How many men does the sheriff tell the mayor he has sworn in as new deputies in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Four hundred.
5. What does Burns tell Hildy on the phone in Act 2, Part 4 after hearing that Williams is with him?
(a) He will be there in a few hours.
(b) He doesn't believe him.
(c) He will give Hildy a lot more money.
(d) He is coming right over.
6. According to Louie, what crashes into a police car in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) Another police car.
(b) A cab.
(c) A train.
(d) A bus.
7. What does Burns tell the mayor, after being arrested in Act 3, Part 3?
(a) That he is going to the state authorities.
(b) That he will seek revenge.
(c) That the mayor killed the police officer, not Williams.
(d) That the mayor will lose the election.
8. What does the mayor offer the messenger as a bribe in Act 2, Part 3?
(a) A new job in another city.
(b) A one time payment of five hundred dollars.
(c) A one time payment of one thousand dollars.
(d) A new job with higher pay.
9. What does Burns keep asking Hildy at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
(a) Where the sheriff is.
(b) Where Williams is.
(c) Where the other reporters are.
(d) Where Mollie is.
10. Where does Hildy drag Williams to after he collapses in Act 2, Part 4?
(a) The hallway.
(b) The bathroom.
(d) The other office.
11. What is Hildy talking about repeatedly at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
(a) The other reporters and their actions.
(b) His money.
(c) Williams escaping.
(d) What Mollie did.
12. What job does Burns offer Bensinger as a way to get him to leave in Act 3, Part 1?
(a) A weekly column.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Covering sports.
(d) Cleaning the offices.
13. Who does Hildy try to pass the gun to as the other reporters grab him in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) The sheriff.
14. The purpose of Act 2, Part 3 is to illustrate what major difference in the characters of Hildy, the mayor, and the sheriff?
(a) The integrity that the mayor has, and the lack of integrity of Hildy and the sheriff.
(b) The integrity that Hildy has, and the lack of integrity of the mayor and the sheriff.
(c) The integrity that Hildy and the mayor have, and the lack of integrity of the sheriff.
(d) The integrity that the mayor and the sheriff have, and the lack of integrity of Hildy.
15. How does the sheriff recognize the gun as the one Williams had in Act 3, Part 2?
(a) It is his gun.
(b) It matches the description from the witnesses.
(c) It is the same type of gun that Williams owns.
(d) He saw it when Williams escaped.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mayor's response to the sheriff's statement about how many new deputies he has?
2. According the mayor in Act 2, Part 3, what isn't real?
3. What does Hildy accuse Peggy of during their argument in Act 2, Part 5?
4. Towards the end of Act 2, Part 3, as Hildy bangs on the door, what does the mayor advise the sheriff?
5. What does Williams tell Hildy about the gun he is holding in Act 2, Part 4?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)