|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls looking for Hildy in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Walter Burns.
(b) The woman McCue was talking with earlier.
(d) The Mayor.
2. The Front Page is set in the press room of which Chicago building?
(a) The Chicago Police Department.
(b) The Criminal Courts Building.
(c) The Chicago Sun Times.
(d) City Hall.
3. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) A recommendation.
(b) The money they owe him.
(c) A cigar.
(d) The favor they owe him.
4. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
(a) There will be more murders.
(b) The sheriff will be fired.
(c) The mayor will close the train station.
(d) There will be a socialist uprising.
5. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
(c) The sheriff.
6. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Prevent him from catching his train.
(b) Have him exiled from the town.
(c) Have him fired.
(d) Arrest him.
7. According to Bensinger, what won't the Sheriff change about the execution of Williams?
(a) The time.
(b) The decision to make it a public event.
(c) The judgment.
(d) The rule banning all press.
8. What does Jennie ask the reporters at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If she should quit the company.
(b) If they are always this messy.
(c) If she is late.
(d) If she can clean up.
9. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
(a) Three times.
(c) Two times.
(d) Only once.
10. What comment do the reporters make about Hildy's appearance in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) He isn't wearing a hat.
(b) He is well dressed and groomed.
(c) He needs a haircut soon.
(d) He is a mess.
11. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A murder.
(b) Another fire.
(c) A stolen car.
(d) A missing girl.
12. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) Analogy of fire.
(b) The use of money to represent character.
(c) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
(d) Definition by contrast.
13. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
(a) Diamond Louie.
(b) Hildy's fiancé.
14. After the fire alarm rings in Act 1, Part 1, why do the reporters ignore it?
(a) They are afraid of fires.
(b) The fire is too far away.
(c) They don't hear it.
(d) A fire doesn't seem like a good story to them.
15. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, what did the psychiatrist do during Williams's examination?
(a) He left Williams alone in the room.
(b) He angered Williams by asking certain questions.
(c) He recreated the crime.
(d) He helped Williams escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
2. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
3. Where does Kruger say Williams was seen while reporting the story to his paper in Act 2, Part 1?
4. In Act 1, Part 1, what does Schwartz tell McCue is the reason that Hildy quit?
5. What does Kruger report the senator has called for in Act 2, Part 2?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)