|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hildy want Peggy and Mrs. Grant to wait for him?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At the paper's office.
(c) At the bus stop.
(d) At the train station.
2. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) McCue and Murphy arguing.
(b) The sheriff yelling at his deputy.
(d) The phone ringing.
3. In Act 1, Part 1, what does Schwartz tell McCue is the reason that Hildy quit?
(a) He accepted a better job.
(b) He was unhappy with his job.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) He left town.
4. Why does Williams think the Mayor and city are trying to hang him?
(a) Because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
(b) Because he didn't have enough money to pay a traffic ticket.
(c) Because he is a radical.
(d) Because he did not vote for the Mayor.
5. What does Burns say he will help Mrs. Schlosser with in Act 1, Part 2?
(b) Talking to the other reporters.
(c) Finding a good lawyer.
(d) Getting a job.
6. Who calls looking for Hildy in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Walter Burns.
(b) The woman McCue was talking with earlier.
(c) The Mayor.
7. What does Peggy remind Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The times he has lied about money.
(b) The times he has let her down.
(c) The times he has lost money.
(d) The times he has not listened to her.
8. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
(a) The Chicago Inquisitor.
(b) The Examiner.
(c) The Enquirer.
(d) The Chicago Times.
9. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
(b) His brother.
(d) His fiancé.
10. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(c) The guards.
(d) The reporters.
11. Where does Kruger say Williams was seen while reporting the story to his paper in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Boarding a bus downtown.
(b) Stealing a car downtown.
(c) Getting on a train at the station.
(d) Robbing a local grocery store.
12. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
(a) That Hildy is lying.
(b) That Hildy was at the jailbreak and witnessed it.
(c) That the truth lies with Hildy.
(d) That Hildy is helping Williams.
13. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His reporter's instinct.
(b) His desire to help people in need.
(c) His concern for the other reporters.
(d) His fascination of disasters.
14. How much does Hildy tell Burns it cost him to get the full story of Williams' escape?
(a) Two hundred and sixty dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) Three hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) Four hundred dollars
15. What does Williams' escape from jail indicate for Hildy?
(a) That he lied about the money he received.
(b) That he is still a reporter.
(c) That he helped Williams escape.
(d) That he won't be able to leave town because of the chase.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bensinger, what won't the Sheriff change about the execution of Williams?
2. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
3. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What is Woodenshoes being sent to get for the reporters in Act 1, Part 2?
5. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, what did the psychiatrist do during Williams's examination?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)