|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Playing poker.
(b) Reading the newspaper.
(c) Interviewing a suspect.
(d) Telling jokes.
2. What does Hildy explain to Peggy that he told Burns in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
(a) That he was going to the party.
(b) That he was leaving the paper.
(c) That he was going to the train station.
(d) That he was staying with the paper temporarily.
3. After the fire alarm rings in Act 1, Part 1, why do the reporters ignore it?
(a) A fire doesn't seem like a good story to them.
(b) They don't hear it.
(c) The fire is too far away.
(d) They are afraid of fires.
4. How do the reporters act when Jennie enters in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) They yell at her.
(b) They ignore her.
(c) They tease her.
(d) They stand up and smile.
5. What best describes Hildy's state of mind at the end of Act 2, Part1?
6. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he will not attend the hanging.
(b) That he is collecting his final paycheck.
(c) That he is not involved with the murder.
(d) That he has handed in his resignation.
7. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Another cleaning woman being shot.
(b) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
(c) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
(d) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
8. What comment do the reporters make about Hildy's appearance in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) He is well dressed and groomed.
(b) He needs a haircut soon.
(c) He is a mess.
(d) He isn't wearing a hat.
9. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) The evidence against Williams.
(b) The interview he had with Williams.
(c) Williams's last meal.
(d) Williams's previous criminal record.
10. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Two days before the shooting.
(b) The day before the shooting.
(c) One hour before the shooting.
(d) Three hours before the shooting.
11. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(a) A hat.
(d) A newspaper.
12. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
13. Why does the conversation between the woman and McCue end in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) The connection is broken.
(b) McCue is frustrated and hangs up.
(c) One of the other reporters pulls the phone out of the wall.
(d) She is upset and hangs up.
14. What does Williams' escape from jail indicate for Hildy?
(a) That he lied about the money he received.
(b) That he is still a reporter.
(c) That he helped Williams escape.
(d) That he won't be able to leave town because of the chase.
15. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(c) Mrs. Schlosser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
3. What is Jennie cleaning up at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
4. What does Hildy promise to his girlfriend before hanging up the phone in Act 1, Part 4?
5. In response to the sheriff's threat, what does Hildy reveal as blackmail?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)