|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams' escape from jail indicate for Hildy?
(a) That he helped Williams escape.
(b) That he is still a reporter.
(c) That he lied about the money he received.
(d) That he won't be able to leave town because of the chase.
2. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Have him exiled from the town.
(b) Arrest him.
(c) Have him fired.
(d) Prevent him from catching his train.
3. What does Hildy offer Jennie in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) A donut.
(b) To help her clean.
(c) To help her find a new job.
4. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
(a) The mayor will close the train station.
(b) There will be a socialist uprising.
(c) The sheriff will be fired.
(d) There will be more murders.
5. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) The Electric Thief.
(b) The Electric Murderer.
(c) The Electric Bandit.
(d) The Electric Killer.
6. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The use of money to represent character.
(b) Definition by contrast.
(c) Analogy of fire.
(d) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
7. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
(a) He says that he already knows.
(b) He doesn't believe it.
(c) He changes the subject.
(d) He thinks it is good riddance.
8. Why do the other reporters not believe that Hildy has actually quit when they hear the news in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) They are positive that he is happy with his job.
(b) They think he is making too much money to leave.
(c) They don't think he can do any other job.
(d) They don't think his boss would have let him leave.
9. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
(c) The sheriff.
10. What upsets Kruger when he hears about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) That Hildy didn't say goodbye.
(b) That he is Hildy's best friend.
(c) That he never met Hildy.
(d) That he never got the chance to work with Hildy.
11. What does Hildy tell Burns about the story he is giving him in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) It will be the last one.
(b) It was witnessed by a close friend.
(c) It will be proven by testimonials.
(d) It will be the first of a series of stories on jailbreaks.
12. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
13. As we learn in Act 1, Part 1, why is Bensinger protective of his desk?
(a) He doesn't like other reporters reading his files.
(b) He is hiding things in the desk drawers.
(c) He is obsessed with germs.
(d) He recently got a new desk and phone.
14. What is Endicott's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
(b) He bribed a police officer.
(c) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(d) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
15. Who did Williams tell he was innocent, according to Woodenshoe?
(b) His wife.
(c) His priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
3. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
4. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
5. What comment do the reporters make about Hildy's appearance in Act 1, Part 3?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)