|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Have him fired.
(b) Prevent him from catching his train.
(c) Have him exiled from the town.
(d) Arrest him.
2. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The favor they owe him.
(b) A recommendation.
(c) The money they owe him.
(d) A cigar.
3. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(a) A newspaper.
(d) A hat.
4. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
(a) The Chicago Times.
(b) The Enquirer.
(c) The Chicago Inquisitor.
(d) The Examiner.
5. According to Bensiger in Act 1, Part 1, what do the other reporters use his area as?
(a) A laundry basket.
(b) An ash tray.
(c) A bench.
(d) A gambling table.
6. What is Woodenshoes being sent to get for the reporters in Act 1, Part 2?
(d) A pizza.
7. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) His inexpensive suit.
(b) His weight.
(c) Working at a fruit stand.
(d) Not living up to his name.
8. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
(a) Three times.
(c) Two times.
(d) Only once.
9. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
(a) The city's socialists.
(b) The town council.
(c) The communist party.
(d) The chamber of commerce.
10. What does the Mayor say about the senator's position in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) It is impossible.
(b) It will take a week to happen.
(c) It is a good idea.
(d) It is a lie.
11. According to Hildy in Act 2, Part 1, what did the psychiatrist do during Williams's examination?
(a) He left Williams alone in the room.
(b) He recreated the crime.
(c) He angered Williams by asking certain questions.
(d) He helped Williams escape.
12. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(b) The reporters.
(c) The guards.
13. Who did Williams tell he was innocent, according to Woodenshoe?
(a) His wife.
(d) His priest.
14. What city is Hildy's train going to, according to the tickets he shows the other reporters?
(a) New York.
(c) St. Louis.
(d) San Francisco.
15. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
(a) That Hildy was at the jailbreak and witnessed it.
(b) That the truth lies with Hildy.
(c) That Hildy is lying.
(d) That Hildy is helping Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the reporters rudely suggest that Mollie is in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What does Hildy do when Burns calls in Act 1, Part 4?
3. Louie states in Act 1, Part 2 that Hildy left for what reason?
4. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
5. What does the mayor want to know from the sheriff in Act 2, Part 2?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)