|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) His weight.
(b) Not living up to his name.
(c) His inexpensive suit.
(d) Working at a fruit stand.
2. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he is not involved with the murder.
(b) That he is collecting his final paycheck.
(c) That he has handed in his resignation.
(d) That he will not attend the hanging.
3. What does Jennie ask the reporters at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If she can clean up.
(b) If they are always this messy.
(c) If she is late.
(d) If she should quit the company.
4. What does the sheriff say will never happen when the psychiatrist examines Williams?
(a) He will find that Williams is crazy.
(b) He will find that Williams is not crazy.
(c) He will tell everyone that Williams should not be hung.
(d) He will declare a mistrial.
5. What does Louie think about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) It is unfair to the paper.
(b) It is not a permanent thing.
(c) It is not worth talking about.
(d) It is a permanent thing.
6. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
(a) Only once.
(b) Two times.
(d) Three times.
7. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) One hour before the shooting.
(b) Three hours before the shooting.
(c) Two days before the shooting.
(d) The day before the shooting.
8. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
(a) The mayor will close the train station.
(b) There will be a socialist uprising.
(c) The sheriff will be fired.
(d) There will be more murders.
9. In response to the sheriff's threat, what does Hildy reveal as blackmail?
(a) The sheriff spent the night in a hotel with a librarian.
(b) The sheriff has been giving money to a librarian.
(c) The sheriff has been giving money to a waitress.
(d) The sheriff spent the night in a hotel with a waitress.
10. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
(a) His deputy.
(c) The psychiatrist.
11. Who is Mrs. Schlosser looking for at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(a) The police sergeant.
(d) Her husband.
12. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
13. Who is Hildy waiting for in the press room at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The courier.
(d) The sheriff.
14. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His reporter's instinct.
(b) His fascination of disasters.
(c) His desire to help people in need.
(d) His concern for the other reporters.
15. Where does Hildy want Peggy and Mrs. Grant to wait for him?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At the bus stop.
(c) At the police station.
(d) At the paper's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louie inform the reporters his new job title is in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
3. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
4. Who calls looking for Hildy in Act 1, Part 1?
5. Why do the other reporters not believe that Hildy has actually quit when they hear the news in Act 1, Part 1?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)