|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(a) A hat.
(d) A newspaper.
2. Where does the sheriff say his men have cornered Williams in Act 2, Part 2?
(b) A house on Clark Street.
(c) A house on Fifth Street.
(d) At the bus station.
3. What does Hildy explain to Peggy that he told Burns in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
(a) That he was going to the party.
(b) That he was leaving the paper.
(c) That he was going to the train station.
(d) That he was staying with the paper temporarily.
4. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) She needs to pay the cab fare.
(b) So she can take care of it.
(c) She knows he doesn't have it.
(d) She doesn't believe Hildy's story.
5. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Have him exiled from the town.
(b) Have him fired.
(c) Prevent him from catching his train.
(d) Arrest him.
6. What does Hildy promise to his girlfriend before hanging up the phone in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) To meet her at the hanging.
(b) To meet her at the train station.
(c) To meet her at the party.
(d) To meet her at her father's house.
7. What is Peggy's reaction to the missing money in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) She doesn't care about it.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is not surprised.
(d) She is surprised.
8. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
(b) Three times.
(c) Only once.
(d) Two times.
9. What pace does the play set during Act 1, Part 1, particularly where the dialogue is concerned?
(a) A slow pace with many conversations going on.
(b) A fast pace with average conversation.
(c) A fast pace with many conversations going on.
(d) A slow pace with very little conversation.
10. What is Woodenshoes being sent to get for the reporters in Act 1, Part 2?
(b) A pizza.
11. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
(a) That Hildy was at the jailbreak and witnessed it.
(b) That Hildy is lying.
(c) That Hildy is helping Williams.
(d) That the truth lies with Hildy.
12. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) His fiancé.
(c) His brother.
13. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Interviewing a suspect.
(b) Reading the newspaper.
(c) Telling jokes.
(d) Playing poker.
14. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
15. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) A recommendation.
(b) A cigar.
(c) The favor they owe him.
(d) The money they owe him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hildy waiting for in the press room at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
2. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
3. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
4. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
5. What does the sheriff say will never happen when the psychiatrist examines Williams?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)