|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment do the reporters make about Hildy's appearance in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) He isn't wearing a hat.
(b) He needs a haircut soon.
(c) He is a mess.
(d) He is well dressed and groomed.
2. What is Jennie cleaning up at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Spilled water on the floor.
(b) The mess left by the reporters.
(c) Glass and debris.
(d) Bensinger's desk.
3. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His desire to help people in need.
(b) His fascination of disasters.
(c) His concern for the other reporters.
(d) His reporter's instinct.
4. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A stolen car.
(b) A murder.
(c) A missing girl.
(d) Another fire.
5. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
(d) Thank you cards.
6. What best describes Hildy's state of mind at the end of Act 2, Part1?
7. What does Hildy offer Jennie in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) To help her clean.
(b) To help her find a new job.
(d) A donut.
8. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
(b) The sheriff.
(c) The sheriff's deputy.
9. What does Louie think about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) It is not worth talking about.
(b) It is unfair to the paper.
(c) It is not a permanent thing.
(d) It is a permanent thing.
10. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(d) Mrs. Schlosser.
11. In Hildy's speech in Act 1, Part 3, what kind of life does he say a reporter has?
(a) An exciting life.
(b) A great life that he will miss.
(c) A lousy life.
(d) An unpredictable life.
12. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) A recommendation.
(b) The favor they owe him.
(c) A cigar.
(d) The money they owe him.
13. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he has handed in his resignation.
(b) That he is not involved with the murder.
(c) That he is collecting his final paycheck.
(d) That he will not attend the hanging.
14. What does Hildy do when Burns calls in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Hands the phone to McCue.
(b) Rips the phone out of the wall.
(c) Ignores the call.
(d) Hangs up the phone.
15. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
(a) That the truth lies with Hildy.
(b) That Hildy is helping Williams.
(c) That Hildy was at the jailbreak and witnessed it.
(d) That Hildy is lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
2. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
3. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
4. Who does Hildy say owns the company he will be working for?
5. In Act 1, Part 1, what does Schwartz tell McCue is the reason that Hildy quit?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)