|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
(a) That Hildy is lying.
(b) That the truth lies with Hildy.
(c) That Hildy is helping Williams.
(d) That Hildy was at the jailbreak and witnessed it.
2. What is Woodenshoes wondering at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) If the reporters are looking for Williams.
(b) If the reporters still want burgers.
(c) If Williams will shoot the reporters.
(d) If the reporters know how Williams escaped.
3. What does Hildy wonder about the fire in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If it is at the school.
(b) If it has been put out yet.
(c) If it is nearby.
(d) If it is at the gallows.
4. What is Endicott's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
(b) He bribed a police officer.
(c) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(d) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
5. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Another cleaning woman being shot.
(b) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
(c) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
(d) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
6. What is Murphy's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(b) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(c) He bribed a police officer.
(d) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
7. What reason does Mollie give for seeing Williams before the shooting?
(a) He asked her to see him.
(b) She had something to give him.
(c) He looked unhappy.
(d) They met each other by accident.
8. What is Jennie cleaning up at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Glass and debris.
(b) The mess left by the reporters.
(c) Spilled water on the floor.
(d) Bensinger's desk.
9. What does Kruger ask will happen as a result of Williams's escape?
(a) The mayor will close the train station.
(b) The sheriff will be fired.
(c) There will be more murders.
(d) There will be a socialist uprising.
10. Who is Mrs. Schlosser looking for at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(b) The police sergeant.
(c) Her husband.
11. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Another fire.
(b) A stolen car.
(c) A murder.
(d) A missing girl.
12. What are the other reporters doing in the background as McCue is talking with the woman in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Making crude comments.
(b) Imitating him.
(c) Laughing at him.
(d) Trying to get his attention.
13. What does Louie think about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) It is a permanent thing.
(b) It is unfair to the paper.
(c) It is not worth talking about.
(d) It is not a permanent thing.
14. Where does Hildy want Peggy and Mrs. Grant to wait for him?
(a) At the paper's office.
(b) At the police station.
(c) At the train station.
(d) At the bus stop.
15. Why does Williams think the Mayor and city are trying to hang him?
(a) Because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
(b) Because he did not vote for the Mayor.
(c) Because he didn't have enough money to pay a traffic ticket.
(d) Because he is a radical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the reporters rudely suggest that Mollie is in Act 1, Part 4?
2. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
3. Who tells the sheriff that Hildy has quit the paper in Act 1, Part 4?
4. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
5. Hildy is short for what name?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)