|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are most of the reporters depicted in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Lazy and quiet.
(b) Lazy and confused.
(c) Lazy and impatient.
(d) Lazy and passive.
2. What do the reporters rudely suggest that Mollie is in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A thief.
(c) A jealous person.
(d) A liar.
3. As Hildy is introduced in Act 1, Part 3, what is a major difference between him and the other reporters?
(a) He is not as smart as they are.
(b) He is more optimistic than they are.
(c) He is more depressed than they are.
(d) He is not as confident as they are.
4. According to Bensinger, what won't the Sheriff change about the execution of Williams?
(a) The rule banning all press.
(b) The decision to make it a public event.
(c) The time.
(d) The judgment.
5. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Mrs. Schlosser.
6. Hildy is short for what name?
7. Who does Hildy throw the water on at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The guards.
(b) The reporters.
8. What is Murphy's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
(b) He bribed a police officer.
(c) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(d) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
9. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A stolen car.
(b) Another fire.
(c) A murder.
(d) A missing girl.
10. What does the mayor want to know from the sheriff in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) If Williams got the gun from him.
(b) If the psychiatrist gave Williams the gun voluntarily.
(c) Why his men didn't shoot Williams.
(d) How soon they can capture Williams again.
11. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Have him exiled from the town.
(b) Prevent him from catching his train.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Have him fired.
12. What job does Hildy tell the reporters he is quitting the paper for?
(a) A job as a lawyer.
(b) A job as a police officer.
(c) An advertising job.
(d) An accounting job.
13. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A police siren.
(b) The testing of the gallows.
(c) A burglary alarm.
(d) A car crash.
14. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(c) A hat.
(d) A newspaper.
15. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His reporter's instinct.
(b) His desire to help people in need.
(c) His concern for the other reporters.
(d) His fascination of disasters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
2. What does Woodenshoes' theory about Williams entail?
3. Who is Hildy waiting for in the press room at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
4. In Act 1, Part 4, how often does Mollie say she saw Williams between the shooting and the trial?
5. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)