|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule do Schwartz and Murphy say that Mrs. Schlosser has broken at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Women are barred from the pressroom.
(b) All questions should be directed to their boss.
(c) Only people with press tags are allowed in the pressroom.
(d) A police escort is required to enter the pressroom.
2. What do Murphy and Endicott hope to get from the mayor in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Good news.
(b) A statement.
(c) An apology.
(d) A confession.
3. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
(b) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
(c) Another cleaning woman being shot.
(d) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
4. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
(c) The sheriff.
5. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
(a) Thank you cards.
6. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Two days before the shooting.
(b) Three hours before the shooting.
(c) One hour before the shooting.
(d) The day before the shooting.
7. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Williams's last meal.
(b) The interview he had with Williams.
(c) The evidence against Williams.
(d) Williams's previous criminal record.
8. What is Murphy's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(b) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
(c) He bribed a police officer.
(d) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
9. What does the Mayor say about the senator's position in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) It is a good idea.
(b) It is impossible.
(c) It will take a week to happen.
(d) It is a lie.
10. Louie states in Act 1, Part 2 that Hildy left for what reason?
(a) An argument with Burns.
(b) An argument with McCue.
(c) An argument with Endicott.
(d) An argument with Murphy.
11. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The meter for the cab is running.
(b) The streets are emptying.
(c) Williams has escaped from jail.
(d) The sheriff is looking for them.
12. What does the mayor want to know from the sheriff in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) How soon they can capture Williams again.
(b) If Williams got the gun from him.
(c) Why his men didn't shoot Williams.
(d) If the psychiatrist gave Williams the gun voluntarily.
13. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A missing girl.
(b) A murder.
(c) A stolen car.
(d) Another fire.
14. What does Hildy hear as he comes into the press room in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The phone ringing.
(b) McCue and Murphy arguing.
(d) The sheriff yelling at his deputy.
15. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His desire to help people in need.
(b) His fascination of disasters.
(c) His reporter's instinct.
(d) His concern for the other reporters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are most of the reporters depicted in Act 1, Part 1?
2. What does Hildy wonder about the fire in Act 1, Part 3?
3. What pace does the play set during Act 1, Part 1, particularly where the dialogue is concerned?
4. Why does Williams think the Mayor and city are trying to hang him?
5. In response to the sheriff's threat, what does Hildy reveal as blackmail?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)