|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique do the playwrights use to illustrate Hildy's character in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) Definition by contrast.
(b) Analogy of fire.
(c) The metaphor referred to in his speech.
(d) The use of money to represent character.
2. What does the sheriff threaten to do to Hildy in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Prevent him from catching his train.
(b) Have him exiled from the town.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Have him fired.
3. What do Murphy and Endicott hope to get from the mayor in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) Good news.
(b) A confession.
(c) A statement.
(d) An apology.
4. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The favor they owe him.
(b) A cigar.
(c) The money they owe him.
(d) A recommendation.
5. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) The Electric Killer.
(b) The Electric Thief.
(c) The Electric Bandit.
(d) The Electric Murderer.
6. What city is Hildy's train going to, according to the tickets he shows the other reporters?
(a) St. Louis.
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
7. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Williams's previous criminal record.
(b) The evidence against Williams.
(c) The interview he had with Williams.
(d) Williams's last meal.
8. What does Hildy's response to the fire show in Act 1, Part 3, that some view as contradictory to his other behavior in the play so far?
(a) His fascination of disasters.
(b) His desire to help people in need.
(c) His reporter's instinct.
(d) His concern for the other reporters.
9. What does Hildy tell Burns about the story he is giving him in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) It will be the last one.
(b) It will be proven by testimonials.
(c) It was witnessed by a close friend.
(d) It will be the first of a series of stories on jailbreaks.
10. Who brings Mrs. Grant, Peggy's mother, in during Act 2, Part 2?
(c) The sheriff.
11. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
(b) The sheriff.
(d) The sheriff's deputy.
12. What are the other reporters doing in the background as McCue is talking with the woman in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Trying to get his attention.
(b) Imitating him.
(c) Making crude comments.
(d) Laughing at him.
13. Hildy is short for what name?
14. What does Hildy do when Burns calls in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Hangs up the phone.
(b) Ignores the call.
(c) Hands the phone to McCue.
(d) Rips the phone out of the wall.
15. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
(a) Thank you cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Hildy's state of mind at the end of Act 2, Part1?
2. Where does Kruger say Williams was seen while reporting the story to his paper in Act 2, Part 1?
3. Who is Hildy waiting for in the press room at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
4. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
5. What is Jennie cleaning up at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)