|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he is collecting his final paycheck.
(b) That he is not involved with the murder.
(c) That he has handed in his resignation.
(d) That he will not attend the hanging.
2. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
(a) The possible negative aspects of married life.
(b) The deception he is carrying.
(c) The other reporters were right.
(d) The possible positive aspects of married life.
3. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Two days before the shooting.
(b) The day before the shooting.
(c) Three hours before the shooting.
(d) One hour before the shooting.
4. What city is Hildy's train going to, according to the tickets he shows the other reporters?
(b) New York.
(c) St. Louis.
(d) San Francisco.
5. What does Hildy explain to Peggy that he told Burns in the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
(a) That he was going to the party.
(b) That he was staying with the paper temporarily.
(c) That he was leaving the paper.
(d) That he was going to the train station.
6. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
(b) Another cleaning woman being shot.
(c) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
(d) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
7. How much money does Hildy tell the other reporters he has received as a gift?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
8. What reason does Mollie give for seeing Williams before the shooting?
(a) He looked unhappy.
(b) He asked her to see him.
(c) She had something to give him.
(d) They met each other by accident.
9. What does Mrs. Grant tell Peggy and Hildy when she first arrives in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The meter for the cab is running.
(b) The sheriff is looking for them.
(c) Williams has escaped from jail.
(d) The streets are emptying.
10. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(a) A newspaper.
(c) A hat.
11. According to Bensiger in Act 1, Part 1, what do the other reporters use his area as?
(a) An ash tray.
(b) A laundry basket.
(c) A bench.
(d) A gambling table.
12. What does Hildy promise to his girlfriend before hanging up the phone in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) To meet her at the party.
(b) To meet her at the hanging.
(c) To meet her at her father's house.
(d) To meet her at the train station.
13. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
(a) The Chicago Times.
(b) The Enquirer.
(c) The Examiner.
(d) The Chicago Inquisitor.
14. What does Louie think about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) It is a permanent thing.
(b) It is not worth talking about.
(c) It is unfair to the paper.
(d) It is not a permanent thing.
15. What kind of money does Hildy tell the reporters he will be making at his new job?
(a) Less money.
(b) No money.
(c) Good money.
(d) The same money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does McCue tell his editor accidentally shot a cleaning woman?
2. What does the sheriff say will never happen when the psychiatrist examines Williams?
3. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
4. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
5. What do Murphy and Endicott hope to get from the mayor in Act 2, Part 2?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)