Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Murphy's version of how Williams escaped?
(a) He overpowered the psychiatrist with a gun and ran into the street.
(b) He had an accomplice who helped him escape.
(c) A tear gas bomb exploded, causing enough of a commotion for him to escape.
(d) He bribed a police officer.
2. Who is the mayor looking for in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The sheriff.
(c) Diamond Louie.
3. What is the loud noise heard outside of the press room in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A car crash.
(b) A police siren.
(c) The testing of the gallows.
(d) A burglary alarm.
4. When does Mollie say she saw Williams in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) Three hours before the shooting.
(b) One hour before the shooting.
(c) The day before the shooting.
(d) Two days before the shooting.
5. Who did Williams tell he was innocent, according to Woodenshoe?
(c) His wife.
(d) His priest.
6. What is the predator called in the story McCue is working on towards the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) The Electric Thief.
(b) The Electric Killer.
(c) The Electric Bandit.
(d) The Electric Murderer.
7. In Act 1, Part 2, what do some of the reporters think Louie is lacking?
(a) A job.
(b) A diamond.
(c) A gun.
(d) A sense of humor.
8. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
(a) That Hildy was at the jailbreak and witnessed it.
(b) That Hildy is helping Williams.
(c) That the truth lies with Hildy.
(d) That Hildy is lying.
9. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
(a) The chamber of commerce.
(b) The communist party.
(c) The town council.
(d) The city's socialists.
10. What are several reporters doing when the play opens in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Reading the newspaper.
(b) Playing poker.
(c) Interviewing a suspect.
(d) Telling jokes.
11. What is the sheriff's reaction to the news of Hildy leaving the paper?
(a) He thinks it is good riddance.
(b) He doesn't believe it.
(c) He says that he already knows.
(d) He changes the subject.
12. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) The favor they owe him.
(b) The money they owe him.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A recommendation.
13. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
(d) Thank you cards.
14. What does Jennie ask the reporters at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If she is late.
(b) If they are always this messy.
(c) If she can clean up.
(d) If she should quit the company.
15. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
(a) The Enquirer.
(b) The Examiner.
(c) The Chicago Inquisitor.
(d) The Chicago Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the reporters tell Hildy is trying to contact him in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What are the reporters talking about attending in Act 1, Part 1?
3. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
4. What does Hildy assure his girlfriend of in Act 1, Part 4?
5. Louie states in Act 1, Part 2 that Hildy left for what reason?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)