|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hildy's speech in Act 1, Part 3, what kind of life does he say a reporter has?
(a) A lousy life.
(b) A great life that he will miss.
(c) An exciting life.
(d) An unpredictable life.
2. Who calls looking for Hildy in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) Walter Burns.
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The woman McCue was talking with earlier.
3. What does Murphy say the Sheriff and Mayor will get a lot of after the execution?
(b) Thank you cards.
4. What does Jennie ask the reporters at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If she is late.
(b) If she should quit the company.
(c) If they are always this messy.
(d) If she can clean up.
5. What does Hildy wonder about the fire in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) If it is at the gallows.
(b) If it is at the school.
(c) If it has been put out yet.
(d) If it is nearby.
6. Which one of the following is Bensinger reporting on in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Williams's previous criminal record.
(b) Williams's last meal.
(c) The interview he had with Williams.
(d) The evidence against Williams.
7. Who was unnoticed by Hildy until he turns to leave at the end of Act 2, Part 1?
(c) Mrs. Schlosser.
8. Louie states in Act 1, Part 2 that Hildy left for what reason?
(a) An argument with Endicott.
(b) An argument with Murphy.
(c) An argument with McCue.
(d) An argument with Burns.
9. In Act 2, Part 1, what is obvious when comparing Hildy to the other reporters?
(a) Hildy has a better editor.
(b) Hildy is getting paid more for his story.
(c) Hildy is a better reporter.
(d) Hildy is a worse reporter.
10. In Act 1, Part 2, what does Mrs. Schlosser throw when the reporters finally tell her the information she needs to know?
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A hat.
11. After the fire alarm rings in Act 1, Part 1, why do the reporters ignore it?
(a) A fire doesn't seem like a good story to them.
(b) They are afraid of fires.
(c) They don't hear it.
(d) The fire is too far away.
12. The Front Page is set in the press room of which Chicago building?
(a) City Hall.
(b) The Criminal Courts Building.
(c) The Chicago Police Department.
(d) The Chicago Sun Times.
13. What does Hildy joke about as McCue is leaving in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) The argument between McCue and Murphy.
(b) The amount of money some of the other reporters are getting for their stories.
(c) The sheriff's incompetence in allowing Williams to escape.
(d) Another cleaning woman being shot.
14. What upsets Kruger when he hears about Hildy quitting in Act 1, Part 1?
(a) That he never got the chance to work with Hildy.
(b) That Hildy didn't say goodbye.
(c) That he is Hildy's best friend.
(d) That he never met Hildy.
15. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
(a) The other reporters were right.
(b) The deception he is carrying.
(c) The possible negative aspects of married life.
(d) The possible positive aspects of married life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woodenshoes' theory about Williams entail?
2. What are the authors signaling in Act 2, Part 1 with Hildy's account of the jailbreak?
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Part 4, who is Wilson is talking to on the phone?
4. What city is Hildy's train going to, according to the tickets he shows the other reporters?
5. What does Louie inform the reporters his new job title is in Act 1, Part 2?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)