|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group does Bensinger tell his paper will cause an uprising after the execution?
(a) The chamber of commerce.
(b) The town council.
(c) The city's socialists.
(d) The communist party.
2. What does the appearance of Peggy and her mother hint of for Hildy?
(a) The other reporters were right.
(b) The deception he is carrying.
(c) The possible negative aspects of married life.
(d) The possible positive aspects of married life.
3. What does the woman report to McCue, the reporter, at the beginning of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A burglary.
(b) A domestic disturbance.
(c) A stolen car.
(d) A peeping tom.
4. Where does Kruger say Williams was seen while reporting the story to his paper in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) Stealing a car downtown.
(b) Getting on a train at the station.
(c) Boarding a bus downtown.
(d) Robbing a local grocery store.
5. What story is McCue investigating at the end of Act 1, Part 1?
(a) A murder.
(b) Another fire.
(c) A missing girl.
(d) A stolen car.
6. What does Peggy remind Hildy of in Act 2, Part 2?
(a) The times he has let her down.
(b) The times he has lost money.
(c) The times he has lied about money.
(d) The times he has not listened to her.
7. What does Hildy tell Burns about the story he is giving him in Act 2, Part 1?
(a) It will be the first of a series of stories on jailbreaks.
(b) It will be the last one.
(c) It was witnessed by a close friend.
(d) It will be proven by testimonials.
8. What kind of money does Hildy tell the reporters he will be making at his new job?
(a) No money.
(b) The same money.
(c) Less money.
(d) Good money.
9. According to Bensinger, what won't the Sheriff change about the execution of Williams?
(a) The judgment.
(b) The rule banning all press.
(c) The time.
(d) The decision to make it a public event.
10. What comment do the reporters make about Hildy's appearance in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) He isn't wearing a hat.
(b) He is well dressed and groomed.
(c) He needs a haircut soon.
(d) He is a mess.
11. How much does Hildy tell Burns it cost him to get the full story of Williams' escape?
(a) Two hundred and sixty dollars.
(b) Three hundred and fifty dollars.
(c) Four hundred dollars
(d) Two hundred dollars.
12. What does Hildy ask the reporters for before he leaves in Act 1, Part 3?
(a) A cigar.
(b) The money they owe him.
(c) The favor they owe him.
(d) A recommendation.
13. What do the reporters tease Diamond Louie about in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) Not living up to his name.
(b) His weight.
(c) Working at a fruit stand.
(d) His inexpensive suit.
14. What is the name of Hildy's paper that he is leaving?
(a) The Chicago Inquisitor.
(b) The Enquirer.
(c) The Chicago Times.
(d) The Examiner.
15. What pace does the play set during Act 1, Part 1, particularly where the dialogue is concerned?
(a) A fast pace with many conversations going on.
(b) A slow pace with very little conversation.
(c) A slow pace with many conversations going on.
(d) A fast pace with average conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Hildy's train going to, according to the tickets he shows the other reporters?
2. Why does Peggy ask for the money from Hildy in Act 2, Part 2?
3. Who does the sheriff blame for Williams's escape in his conversation with the Mayor?
4. What does Hildy do when Burns calls in Act 1, Part 4?
5. Who calls looking for Hildy in Act 1, Part 1?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)