Act 1, Part 1
* The noisy press room of the Criminal Courts Building sets the stage with impatient reporters waiting for the next story.
* As the reporters play poker, Walter Burns calls looking for Hildy Johnson, who has quit his job with the paper to get married.
* Bensinger, a reporter, shows his obsession with germs and has no new information on an upcoming hanging.
Act 1, Part 2
* Mrs. Schlosser is treated rudely as she enters the press room looking for her husband, a reporter.
* Woodenshoes, a police officer, shares more details about the hanging of Earl Williams, which the reporters are trying to get rescheduled at an earlier time.
* Diamond Louie, a former member of the local mob, announces that he is working for Burns as the new Circulation Manager, and that Hildy's decision to quit is temporary.
Act 1, Part 3
* Hildy explains to the reporters how he is planning to quit...
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)