|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
2. Friedman wins a Pulitzer Prize for his report on what?
3. According to Friedman, by October, 1983, what do most Beirutis consider the Marines to be?
4. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
5. What group makes up the foundation of the Hezbollah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
2. If you viewed Hama from Friedman's perspective of the tradition of regional units, what does Hama represent?
3. Did Friedman hire a fixer?
4. Why did the Marines come to Beirut in August, 1982, and how were they received?
5. What happens to the planned peace march in 1984?
6. Why did the Marines return to Beirut and how were they received then?
7. Do all Jewish leaders favor creating two states - one for Jews and one for Arabs?
8. What happens to Friedman's apartment in Beirut?
9. What two events happen immediately upon Friedman's return to Beirut in April, 1982?
10. What was the city of Beirut like before the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says that it took him several months after arriving in Jerusalem "to discover the jagged and volcanic fault line that lurked just beneath the surface of Israeli society." What does this fault line refer to? Discuss its significance in Israel.
Essay Topic 2
Why didn't the withdrawal of Arafat and the PLO from Beirut bring peace to Lebanon?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Six Day War? What were the results both short term and long term for all parties involved?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)