|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group makes up the foundation of the Hezbollah?
2. Which Jewish leader agrees to the plan to create two states, side by side, one for Jews and one for Arabs?
3. What happens when the minute fighting stops in Bierut?
4. Why does Friedman refer to Yasir Arafat as the "teflon guerrilla"?
5. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Friedman says that the book is about his journey between two worlds. What are these two worlds?
2. Do all Jewish leaders favor creating two states - one for Jews and one for Arabs?
3. Friedman relates the story of driving to the airport in a taxi and ignoring a kidnapping. What does this say about life in Beirut?
4. Did Friedman hire a fixer?
5. What is the PLO?
6. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
7. What is the Green Line?
8. What two events happen immediately upon Friedman's return to Beirut in April, 1982?
9. If you viewed Hama from Friedman's perspective of the tradition of regional units, what does Hama represent?
10. How did the Syrian government handle journalists during the attack on Hama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's view of what is required for a settlement between Israel and the Palestinians. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Friedman had some creative titles for the chapters of his book. Pick five of the chapters listed below. Explain the meaning and significance of the title and why Friedman would have chosen that title. Be specific with events, history,examples from the book, etc.
Would You Like to Eat Now or Wait for the Cease-fire?
Inside the Kaleidoscope: The Israeli Invasion of Lebanon
Betty Crocker in Dante's Inferno
The Fault Line
Essay Topic 3
Why did Israel invade Lebanon in 1982? What were the results? Was the invasion successful for the Israelis? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)