|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the most famous fixers in Beirut?
2. How do the normal Lebanese population treat the Israeli soldiers?
3. Where does Friedman spend a summer studying in college?
4. Where is Arafat born?
5. Where had Friedman been before in the Middle East?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Hezbollah?
2. What is the PLO?
3. What two events happen immediately upon Friedman's return to Beirut in April, 1982?
4. What is the Green Line?
5. Why did Friedman refer to Yasir Arafat as the "teflon guerrilla"?
6. Why did the Marines return to Beirut and how were they received then?
7. Where did Friedman learn to be a journalist and what was one of the obstacles he faced in checking out his facts?
8. Why did the press congregate at the Commodore Hotel?
9. In Chapter 1, Friedman says that the book is about his journey between two worlds. What are these two worlds?
10. What was the city of Beirut like before the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friedman had some creative titles for the chapters of his book. Pick five of the chapters listed below. Explain the meaning and significance of the title and why Friedman would have chosen that title. Be specific with events, history,examples from the book, etc.
Would You Like to Eat Now or Wait for the Cease-fire?
Inside the Kaleidoscope: The Israeli Invasion of Lebanon
Betty Crocker in Dante's Inferno
The Fault Line
Essay Topic 2
Did Yasir Arafat make the PLO a success or did the PLO make Yasir Arafat a success?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Secretary of State George Schultz's attempts at a peace settlement in 1988. What did the parties involved want? Was there any chance of a successful settlement? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)