|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winner of the 1967 Six Day War?
2. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
3. Where does Friedman live in the U.S. when he first goes to the Middle East as a teenager?
4. Why do many of the local Beirutis think that Friedman is privy to information?
5. Why is the PLO successful under Arafat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Friedman write in an article that upset the Marines?
2. What two events happen immediately upon Friedman's return to Beirut in April, 1982?
3. Why did Friedman refer to Yasir Arafat as the "teflon guerrilla"?
4. What are the groups that basically form the Lebanon that wins independence from France in 1943?
5. Did the fact that Friedman was Jewish affect his reporting or his relationships while in Beirut?
6. Who or what was the Muslim Brotherhood and what did they want?
7. Why did the press congregate at the Commodore Hotel?
8. Did Friedman hire a fixer?
9. Why did the Marines come to Beirut in August, 1982, and how were they received?
10. What happens to Arafat as the result of the Israeli invasion of Lebanon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Six Day War? What were the results both short term and long term for all parties involved?
Essay Topic 2
How are Lebanon and Israel the same? Different?
Essay Topic 3
What happened at Hama and why? What is its significance in Middle Eastern politics?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)