|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many people are more familiar with the geography of Israel than they are of the geography of what?
(a) Their own country.
(d) The U.S.
2. The intifada marks the beginning of what for the Palestinians?
(a) Violence agains the Israelis.
(b) Economic disaster.
(c) New Israeli rules.
3. When it becomes known that Friedman is leaving Israel, what do people ask him?
(a) Where is he going?
(b) Why is he leaving.
(c) Will he come back?
(d) Does he like Israel?
4. Why do the Israelis want to force the PLO out of Lebanon?
(a) Because they think the Arabs in the settled lands will then have no voice to represent them.
(b) Because they do not like Yasir Arafat.
(c) Because they believe that the PLO is a military threat to Israel.
(d) Because they think the PLO causes unrest between Lebanon and Israel.
5. When do the Peace Day strikes occur?
(a) November 21, 1987.
(b) December 21, 1987.
(c) November 21, 1988.
(d) January 21, 1988.
6. Friedman becomes the project of what rabbi?
(a) Eliezer Waldman.
(b) Shimon Tsimhe.
(c) Nota Schiller.
(d) Ze'ev Chafets.
7. When does George Schultz travel to the Middle East?
8. What is the hang-up in most Arab-Israeli negotiations?
(a) The issue of water.
(b) The issue of legitimate rights.
(d) The issue of religion.
9. How many times while Friedman is in Beirut do the communications go dead?
(b) A couple of times a week.
(d) Only once.
10. How many goals do Jewish leaders have after the end of World War II?
(b) One - a Jewish state.
11. Who wins the national election in 1984?
(a) Shimon Perez.
(b) Golda Meir.
(c) The election is a tie.
(d) Yitzhak Shamir.
12. What country does Friedman find has similarities to Israel?
13. Where is Shimon Tsimhe's newsstand located?
(a) In the West Bank.
(b) In New York.
(c) In the Haredim suburb of Jerusalem.
(d) In Beirut.
14. What do each of Friedman's four different groups or categories of Jews believe in common?
(a) That the Rabbis should govern Israel.
(b) That the other three will disappear in time.
(c) That the U.S. should support each group.
(d) That Israel will grow bigger.
15. Friedman believes there will be no serious negotiations in the Middle East until what happens?
(a) Until the parties are ready to negotiate a settlement.
(b) Until the parties forgive each other.
(c) Until the Palestinians stop their violence.
(d) Until the Israelis stop settling in the West Bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the communications go dead after the PLO departure?
2. What is happening outside when Friedman decides to leave Beirut?
3. Whose bar mitzvah does Friedman attend in Ashkelon?
4. George Schultz travels to the Middle East to work out a peace settlement between what countries or groups?
5. What do the Palestinians have to lose in their fight against the Israelis?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)