|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the communications go dead after the PLO departure?
(a) Friedman goes into the street.
(b) Friedman misses his deadline.
(c) The shelling ends.
(d) The shelling begins.
2. In Israel, how do Jews define their Jewish identity?
(a) By their place of birth.
(b) By their relationship to Israel and the state.
(c) By their synagogue affiliation.
(d) By their rabbi.
3. Where is Rabbi Nota Schiller born and raised?
(a) New York.
4. Problems in the Middle East represent a dream that is what?
(a) Giving hope to people.
(b) Not giving hope to people.
5. How many times while Friedman is in Beirut do the communications go dead?
(a) A couple of times a week.
(b) Only once.
6. The intifada marks the beginning of what for the Palestinians?
(a) New Israeli rules.
(c) Violence agains the Israelis.
(d) Economic disaster.
7. Where does Friedman take his family out for lunch before leaving?
(a) Marriott Hotel.
(b) A Jewish restaurant.
(c) Inter-Continental Hotel.
8. Why do the Israelis want to force the PLO out of Lebanon?
(a) Because they think the PLO causes unrest between Lebanon and Israel.
(b) Because they do not like Yasir Arafat.
(c) Because they think the Arabs in the settled lands will then have no voice to represent them.
(d) Because they believe that the PLO is a military threat to Israel.
9. Older Palestinians grew up under the rule of what country or countries?
(a) Jordan and Egypt.
(d) The Ottoman Empire.
10. What do each of Friedman's four different groups or categories of Jews believe in common?
(a) That the Rabbis should govern Israel.
(b) That the U.S. should support each group.
(c) That the other three will disappear in time.
(d) That Israel will grow bigger.
11. Who wins the national election in 1984?
(a) Shimon Perez.
(b) The election is a tie.
(c) Golda Meir.
(d) Yitzhak Shamir.
12. What is the first settlement in Hebron?
(b) Kibbutz Hahotrim.
(c) Kiryat Arba.
13. When does George Schultz travel to the Middle East?
14. How many goals do Jewish leaders have after the end of World War II?
(a) One - a Jewish state.
15. When does Israel first become important to Friedman?
(a) When he becomes a reporter.
(b) When he writes an article on Israel in college.
(c) When he goes to a kibbutz during high school.
(d) When he watches Walter Cronkite report on the Six Day War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks the Friedman's on their way to lunch?
2. After the Six Day War, what presents an internal threat to Israel?
3. In 1985, what carryover from the British Mandate days does the Israeli government resurrect?
4. When do the Peace Day strikes occur?
5. Friedman believes there will be no serious negotiations in the Middle East until what happens?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)