|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
(a) She flies home.
(b) She is evacuated by helicopter.
(c) She is evacuated by boat.
(d) She is driven to Jerusalem.
2. After the Six Day War, what is the big way to raise money in Israel?
(a) Through individual appeals by Jewish leaders.
(b) Through the United Jewish Appeal.
(c) Through the mail.
(d) Through the synagogues.
3. What do each of Friedman's four different groups or categories of Jews believe in common?
(a) That Israel will grow bigger.
(b) That the U.S. should support each group.
(c) That the Rabbis should govern Israel.
(d) That the other three will disappear in time.
4. Who attacks the Friedman's on their way to lunch?
(a) Palestinian youth.
(b) Disgruntled Americans.
(c) Lebanese youth.
(d) Jewish youth.
5. How long has Friedman been in Beirut when he decides to leave?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 10 years.
6. What do the Palestinians have to lose in their fight against the Israelis?
7. What is happening outside when Friedman decides to leave Beirut?
(a) His neighborhood is being shelled.
(b) There is fighting in the street.
(c) Nothing, his neighborhood is quiet.
(d) There is a riot in the street.
8. Where does Friedman take his family out for lunch before leaving?
(b) Inter-Continental Hotel.
(c) A Jewish restaurant.
(d) Marriott Hotel.
9. In 1985, what carryover from the British Mandate days does the Israeli government resurrect?
(b) Administrative detention.
(d) Administrative leave.
10. Where is Friedman when he decides to leave Beirut?
(a) At his desk.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In a bathroom.
(d) In his car.
11. Problems in the Middle East represent a dream that is what?
(c) Giving hope to people.
(d) Not giving hope to people.
12. When Friedman thinks back on his days in Beirut, what does he most often think of?
(a) The people and what he has learned from them.
(b) The close calls he has had.
(c) The shelling and the damage caused.
(d) The way the city changed.
13. Israel has religious significance to what three religions?
(a) Judaism, Buddhism, Wikka.
(b) Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity.
(c) Judaism, Islam, Christianity.
(d) Judaism, Christianity, Wikka.
14. Older Palestinians grew up under the rule of what country or countries?
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) Jordan and Egypt.
15. Israel and Palestine occupy news time out of proportion to their what?
(b) Religious significance.
(d) Historic significance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Friedman get from Beirut to Jerusalem?
2. When does Friedman have an interview with Yasir Arafat?
3. Who is Friedman's own rabbi?
4. What did the ancient Jews overcome so that they are today a symbol of hope?
5. When it becomes known that Friedman is leaving Israel, what do people ask him?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)