|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1980s, approximately how many Israeli Jews immigrate to the United States?
2. How long does Friedman spend in Lebanon and Israel?
(a) Almost 5 years.
(b) Almost 10 years.
(c) Almost 15 years.
(d) Almost 7 years.
3. When do the Peace Day strikes occur?
(a) December 21, 1987.
(b) November 21, 1987.
(c) November 21, 1988.
(d) January 21, 1988.
4. Where is Friedman when he decides to leave Beirut?
(a) At his desk.
(b) In a bathroom.
(c) In a bar.
(d) In his car.
5. What happens when the communications go dead after the PLO departure?
(a) The shelling begins.
(b) Friedman goes into the street.
(c) The shelling ends.
(d) Friedman misses his deadline.
6. What is the only Arab state that agrees to peace with the Israelis?
7. Israel has religious significance to what three religions?
(a) Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity.
(b) Judaism, Christianity, Wikka.
(c) Judaism, Buddhism, Wikka.
(d) Judaism, Islam, Christianity.
8. How many times while Friedman is in Beirut do the communications go dead?
(a) Only once.
(d) A couple of times a week.
9. After the Six Day War, what presents an internal threat to Israel?
(a) The existence of new political parties.
(b) The arrival of new Jews.
(c) The dissension among the young Israelis.
(d) The existence of the occupied territories.
10. What did the ancient Jews overcome so that they are today a symbol of hope?
(b) The lack of land.
11. Who is the candidate of the Likud Party in the national election in 1984?
(a) Yigal Allon.
(b) Yitzhak Shamir.
(c) Shimon Peres.
(d) Yitzhak Rabin.
12. What is happening outside when Friedman decides to leave Beirut?
(a) His neighborhood is being shelled.
(b) There is fighting in the street.
(c) There is a riot in the street.
(d) Nothing, his neighborhood is quiet.
13. What is the first settlement in Hebron?
(b) Kiryat Arba.
(c) Kibbutz Hahotrim.
14. What goal do the Palestinians announce for the intifada?
(a) A Palestianian government.
(b) The beginning of a Palestinian state.
(d) The end to Israeli occupation.
15. What do the Palestinians have to lose in their fight against the Israelis?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
2. When it becomes known that Friedman is leaving Israel, what do people ask him?
3. What marks the border between Israel and the West Bank?
4. After the Six Day War, what is the big way to raise money in Israel?
5. Problems in the Middle East represent a dream that is what?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)