|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Older Palestinians grew up under the rule of what country or countries?
(a) The Ottoman Empire.
(d) Jordan and Egypt.
2. Israel and Palestine occupy news time out of proportion to their what?
(a) Historic significance.
(c) Religious significance.
3. What is the spark or the event that sets off the Palestinian uprising that becomes known as the intifada?
(a) A fight in the Jabaliya camp.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) A political speech.
(d) An auto accident.
4. Who is the candidate of the Labor Party in the national election in 1984?
(a) Golda Meir.
(b) Levi Eshkol.
(c) Shimon Peres.
(d) Yitzhak Shamir.
5. What do the Palestinians have to lose in their fight against the Israelis?
6. When does Friedman decide to leave Beirut?
(a) April, 1984.
(b) February, 1984.
(c) May, 1984.
(d) March, 1984.
7. Whose bar mitzvah does Friedman attend in Ashkelon?
(a) His cousin Yitzhak's.
(b) His friend Chafets's.
(c) His friend Shimon's.
(d) His cousin Giora's.
8. When do Americans begin to learn about the "real" Israel?
9. George Schultz travels to the Middle East to work out a peace settlement between what countries or groups?
(a) Jordan and Palestinians.
(b) Israel, Jordan, and Palestinians.
(c) Israel and Palestinians.
(d) Lebanon and Syria.
10. How does Friedman get from Beirut to Jerusalem?
(a) By plane.
(b) By train.
(c) By a car driven by his Beiruti driver.
(d) By a series of taxis.
11. In Israel, how do Jews define their Jewish identity?
(a) By their rabbi.
(b) By their relationship to Israel and the state.
(c) By their synagogue affiliation.
(d) By their place of birth.
12. When does television appear in Israel?
13. When does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
(a) February, 1984.
(b) January, 1984.
(c) March, 1984.
(d) December, 1983.
14. After the Six Day War, what presents an internal threat to Israel?
(a) The arrival of new Jews.
(b) The dissension among the young Israelis.
(c) The existence of new political parties.
(d) The existence of the occupied territories.
15. When does Friedman have an interview with Yasir Arafat?
(a) January, 1988.
(b) November, 1987.
(c) January, 1987.
(d) December, 1987.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Friedman thinks back on his days in Beirut, what does he most often think of?
2. When Friedman's friend returns to Israel after living in Germany for two years, how does he define that time in Germany?
3. Who attacks the Friedman's on their way to lunch?
4. Who is Friedman's own rabbi?
5. Where is Rabbi Nota Schiller born and raised?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)