|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Arafat forced to recognize Israel?
(a) At the PNC meetings in November, 1988.
(b) At the Jabaliya refugee camp.
(c) At the UN General Assembly in Geneva in December, 1988.
(d) During the intifada.
2. What is the only Arab state that agrees to peace with the Israelis?
3. How long has Friedman been in Beirut when he decides to leave?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 4 years.
4. When does George Schultz travel to the Middle East?
5. Many people are more familiar with the geography of Israel than they are of the geography of what?
(a) Their own country.
(c) The U.S.
6. Which rabbi believes that Judaism is a way of life, not a bunch of ritualistic practices?
(a) David Hartman.
(b) Shimon Tsimhe.
(c) Eliezer Waldman.
(d) Nota Schiller.
7. Where is Shimon Tsimhe's newsstand located?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Beirut.
(c) In the West Bank.
(d) In the Haredim suburb of Jerusalem.
8. What is happening outside when Friedman decides to leave Beirut?
(a) There is fighting in the street.
(b) There is a riot in the street.
(c) Nothing, his neighborhood is quiet.
(d) His neighborhood is being shelled.
9. When Friedman's friend returns to Israel after living in Germany for two years, how does he define that time in Germany?
10. How does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
(a) She flies home.
(b) She is driven to Jerusalem.
(c) She is evacuated by boat.
(d) She is evacuated by helicopter.
11. Whose bar mitzvah does Friedman attend in Ashkelon?
(a) His cousin Yitzhak's.
(b) His friend Chafets's.
(c) His friend Shimon's.
(d) His cousin Giora's.
12. What goal do the Palestinians announce for the intifada?
(a) The end to Israeli occupation.
(b) The beginning of a Palestinian state.
(d) A Palestianian government.
13. How does Friedman get from Beirut to Jerusalem?
(a) By plane.
(b) By train.
(c) By a series of taxis.
(d) By a car driven by his Beiruti driver.
14. Who is the candidate of the Likud Party in the national election in 1984?
(a) Yigal Allon.
(b) Yitzhak Shamir.
(c) Yitzhak Rabin.
(d) Shimon Peres.
15. What constraints begin from annexing the West Bank in 1977?
(a) The Labor Party.
(b) The Camp David Accords and the Syrians.
(c) The Israeli government.
(d) The Camp David Accords and the Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue does Friedman think the Israelis are avoiding during the national election campaign in 1984?
2. Where does Friedman take his family out for lunch before leaving?
3. Israel has religious significance to what three religions?
4. What did the ancient Jews overcome so that they are today a symbol of hope?
5. How long does Friedman spend in Lebanon and Israel?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)