|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the candidate of the Likud Party in the national election in 1984?
(a) Yitzhak Shamir.
(b) Shimon Peres.
(c) Yitzhak Rabin.
(d) Yigal Allon.
2. Whose agreement does Friedman say is essential to an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied territories?
(a) The Israeli government.
(b) The majority of American Jews.
(c) The majority of the Israeli population.
(d) The U.S. government.
3. Where does Friedman take his family out for lunch before leaving?
(b) A Jewish restaurant.
(c) Marriott Hotel.
(d) Inter-Continental Hotel.
4. What issue does Friedman think the Israelis are avoiding during the national election campaign in 1984?
(a) What to do with the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
(b) How to deal with the Arab countires.
(c) How to avoid war with the Arabs.
(d) What to do about the lack of water in desert areas.
5. What goal do the Palestinians announce for the intifada?
(a) A Palestianian government.
(b) The end to Israeli occupation.
(c) The beginning of a Palestinian state.
6. Why do the Israelis want to force the PLO out of Lebanon?
(a) Because they believe that the PLO is a military threat to Israel.
(b) Because they think the PLO causes unrest between Lebanon and Israel.
(c) Because they do not like Yasir Arafat.
(d) Because they think the Arabs in the settled lands will then have no voice to represent them.
7. According to Friedman, the solution to the Palestinian-Israeli problem must be what kind of solution?
8. Where is Friedman's next assignment after Jerusalem?
(a) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) San Francisco.
9. Israel has religious significance to what three religions?
(a) Judaism, Islam, Christianity.
(b) Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity.
(c) Judaism, Christianity, Wikka.
(d) Judaism, Buddhism, Wikka.
10. George Schultz travels to the Middle East to work out a peace settlement between what countries or groups?
(a) Lebanon and Syria.
(b) Israel and Palestinians.
(c) Israel, Jordan, and Palestinians.
(d) Jordan and Palestinians.
11. In Israel, how do Jews define their Jewish identity?
(a) By their rabbi.
(b) By their synagogue affiliation.
(c) By their relationship to Israel and the state.
(d) By their place of birth.
12. In the U.S., how do Jews define their Jewish identity?
(a) By their rabbi.
(b) By their relationship to Israel.
(c) By their place of birth.
(d) By their synagogue affiliation.
13. How does Friedman get from Beirut to Jerusalem?
(a) By train.
(b) By plane.
(c) By a series of taxis.
(d) By a car driven by his Beiruti driver.
14. When does Friedman have an interview with Yasir Arafat?
(a) December, 1987.
(b) January, 1988.
(c) November, 1987.
(d) January, 1987.
15. Where is Rabbi Nota Schiller born and raised?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Arafat forced to recognize Israel?
2. How often is Friedman's neighborhood shelled?
3. How does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
4. What is the only Arab state that agrees to peace with the Israelis?
5. After the Six Day War, what is the big way to raise money in Israel?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)