|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country does Friedman find has similarities to Israel?
2. Who wins the national election in 1984?
(a) The election is a tie.
(b) Golda Meir.
(c) Yitzhak Shamir.
(d) Shimon Perez.
3. According to Friedman, the solution to the Palestinian-Israeli problem must be what kind of solution?
4. In the U.S., how do Jews define their Jewish identity?
(a) By their place of birth.
(b) By their rabbi.
(c) By their synagogue affiliation.
(d) By their relationship to Israel.
5. What happens when the communications go dead after the PLO departure?
(a) The shelling begins.
(b) Friedman misses his deadline.
(c) The shelling ends.
(d) Friedman goes into the street.
6. Where is Shimon Tsimhe's newsstand located?
(a) In Beirut.
(b) In the Haredim suburb of Jerusalem.
(c) In New York.
(d) In the West Bank.
7. How often is Friedman's neighborhood shelled?
(a) At least two-three times a week.
(b) Almost every night.
(c) At least once a week.
(d) At least once a month.
8. In Israel, how do Jews define their Jewish identity?
(a) By their relationship to Israel and the state.
(b) By their synagogue affiliation.
(c) By their place of birth.
(d) By their rabbi.
9. What marks the border between Israel and the West Bank?
(c) A fence.
10. George Schultz travels to the Middle East to work out a peace settlement between what countries or groups?
(a) Israel and Palestinians.
(b) Jordan and Palestinians.
(c) Lebanon and Syria.
(d) Israel, Jordan, and Palestinians.
11. Friedman believes there will be no serious negotiations in the Middle East until what happens?
(a) Until the Israelis stop settling in the West Bank.
(b) Until the parties forgive each other.
(c) Until the parties are ready to negotiate a settlement.
(d) Until the Palestinians stop their violence.
12. When it becomes known that Friedman is leaving Israel, what do people ask him?
(a) Where is he going?
(b) Why is he leaving.
(c) Will he come back?
(d) Does he like Israel?
13. When does Friedman leave Beirut for Jerusalem?
(a) June 1, 1984,
(b) April 1, 1984.
(c) July 1, 1984.
(d) May 1, 1984.
14. What is special about the West Bank and Gaza Strip lands to the Israelis?
(a) They offer a buffer between Israel and Jordan.
(b) They are rich in minerals.
(c) They represent the lands of biblical Israel.
(d) They have mostly Israeli people living there.
15. Who is the candidate of the Likud Party in the national election in 1984?
(a) Yigal Allon.
(b) Yitzhak Shamir.
(c) Yitzhak Rabin.
(d) Shimon Peres.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Friedman spend in Lebanon and Israel?
2. Whose agreement does Friedman say is essential to an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied territories?
3. Many people are more familiar with the geography of Israel than they are of the geography of what?
4. What is the first settlement in Hebron?
5. Where does Friedman take his family out for lunch before leaving?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)