|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Six Day War, what is the big way to raise money in Israel?
(a) Through the United Jewish Appeal.
(b) Through individual appeals by Jewish leaders.
(c) Through the synagogues.
(d) Through the mail.
2. When does Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
(a) January, 1984.
(b) December, 1983.
(c) March, 1984.
(d) February, 1984.
3. What happens when the communications go dead after the PLO departure?
(a) Friedman misses his deadline.
(b) Friedman goes into the street.
(c) The shelling ends.
(d) The shelling begins.
4. Many people are more familiar with the geography of Israel than they are of the geography of what?
(a) The U.S.
(c) Their own country.
5. Who wins the national election in 1984?
(a) Shimon Perez.
(b) Golda Meir.
(c) Yitzhak Shamir.
(d) The election is a tie.
6. How many goals do Jewish leaders have after the end of World War II?
(d) One - a Jewish state.
7. Where is Rabbi Nota Schiller born and raised?
(a) New York.
8. What did the ancient Jews overcome so that they are today a symbol of hope?
(b) The lack of land.
9. Why do Palestinians often have pictures of beaches or the Swiss mountains in their homes and businesses?
(a) This is all they can afford.
(b) There are some famous Palestianian painters who paint these scenes.
(c) They vacation in those areas.
(d) They want something pleasant to escape the misery of their environment.
10. When it becomes known that Friedman is leaving Israel, what do people ask him?
(a) Will he come back?
(b) Does he like Israel?
(c) Why is he leaving.
(d) Where is he going?
11. When does Israel first become important to Friedman?
(a) When he becomes a reporter.
(b) When he watches Walter Cronkite report on the Six Day War.
(c) When he goes to a kibbutz during high school.
(d) When he writes an article on Israel in college.
12. What do the Palestinians have to lose in their fight against the Israelis?
13. How many times while Friedman is in Beirut do the communications go dead?
(a) A couple of times a week.
(d) Only once.
14. Israel and Palestine occupy news time out of proportion to their what?
(c) Religious significance.
(d) Historic significance.
15. When Friedman's friend returns to Israel after living in Germany for two years, how does he define that time in Germany?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does George Schultz travel to the Middle East?
2. What is happening outside when Friedman decides to leave Beirut?
3. When does television appear in Israel?
4. When do the Peace Day strikes occur?
5. Why do the Israelis want to force the PLO out of Lebanon?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)