|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wins the national election in 1984?
(a) Yitzhak Shamir.
(b) Golda Meir.
(c) The election is a tie.
(d) Shimon Perez.
2. Israel has religious significance to what three religions?
(a) Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity.
(b) Judaism, Buddhism, Wikka.
(c) Judaism, Christianity, Wikka.
(d) Judaism, Islam, Christianity.
3. When does Friedman decide to leave Beirut?
(a) April, 1984.
(b) May, 1984.
(c) March, 1984.
(d) February, 1984.
4. After the Six Day War, what is the big way to raise money in Israel?
(a) Through the synagogues.
(b) Through individual appeals by Jewish leaders.
(c) Through the mail.
(d) Through the United Jewish Appeal.
5. What did the ancient Jews overcome so that they are today a symbol of hope?
(a) The lack of land.
6. How long does Friedman spend in Lebanon and Israel?
(a) Almost 10 years.
(b) Almost 15 years.
(c) Almost 7 years.
(d) Almost 5 years.
7. When does George Schultz travel to the Middle East?
8. Whose agreement does Friedman say is essential to an Israeli withdrawal from the occupied territories?
(a) The majority of American Jews.
(b) The U.S. government.
(c) The Israeli government.
(d) The majority of the Israeli population.
9. What marks the border between Israel and the West Bank?
(c) A fence.
10. Who does Friedman believe will have to provide for the Palestinian security in any settlement?
(b) Palestinians themselves.
11. According to Friedman, the solution to the Palestinian-Israeli problem must be what kind of solution?
12. What moment of covering the news in Beirut sticks out in Friedman's mind?
(a) His arrival in Beirut.
(b) The evacuation of Americans in February 1984.
(c) The bombing of the Marine barracks.
(d) The PLO departure when he misses his deadline.
13. The intifada marks the beginning of what for the Palestinians?
(a) Economic disaster.
(c) New Israeli rules.
(d) Violence agains the Israelis.
14. What is the only Arab state that agrees to peace with the Israelis?
15. After the Six Day War, what presents an internal threat to Israel?
(a) The arrival of new Jews.
(b) The dissension among the young Israelis.
(c) The existence of the occupied territories.
(d) The existence of new political parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Friedman's own rabbi?
2. Why do the Israelis want to force the PLO out of Lebanon?
3. What country does Friedman find has similarities to Israel?
4. Why do Palestinians often have pictures of beaches or the Swiss mountains in their homes and businesses?
5. Where does Friedman go to write his story about the PLO departure?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)