|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Beirut press congregate?
(a) The press room at the police station.
(b) The Commodore Hotel.
(c) The UPI building.
(d) The press room at the city hall.
2. How many people do the Red Cross estimate were killed during the Sabra and Shatila massacre?
3. What does Begin do after his wife's death in November 1983?
(a) Goes to the United States.
(b) Moves to Beirut.
(c) Spends time in a kibbutz.
(d) Resigns from government.
4. Where in Hama do the journalists stay during the fighting?
(a) In the Commodore Hotel.
(b) In the police station.
(c) They moved around to avoid the main fighting.
(d) Journalists were not allowed in Hama during the fighting.
5. Winner of the 1967 Six Day War?
6. What outside group comes to the aid of the Muslim Brotherhood in Hama?
(a) No outside group.
(b) The Israelis.
(c) The Beirutis.
(d) The PLO.
7. According to Friedman, what do the Americans believe is the Lebanese problem?
(a) The number of militias in Lebanon.
(b) The weakness of the Lebanese government.
(c) The number of political parties in Lebanon.
(d) The lack of Lebanese military strength.
8. Where does Friedman go when the fighting begins as curfew goes into effect?
(a) His apartment.
(c) Commodore Hotel.
(d) Police station.
9. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
(a) Ariel Sharon.
(b) Yasir Arafat.
(c) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
(d) Menachem Begin.
10. Who films city center Beirut in order to record what it looks like?
11. What are the names of the two major Israeli political parties at the time of the invasion?
(a) The Liberal Party and the Conservative Party.
(b) The Likud Party and the Liberal Party.
(c) The Likud Party and the Labor Party.
(d) The Labor Party and the Liberal Party.
12. What group makes up the foundation of the Hezbollah?
13. Where had Friedman been before in the Middle East?
(a) Tel Aviv.
14. Where do the Friedmans fly to from Geneva at the beginning of the book?
15. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
2. What year is the flight the Friedmans take at the beginning of the book?
3. During the crises, on what basis does Beirut society function?
4. Where does Friedman learn to be a journalist?
5. On what date does a suicide bomber drive a truck into the U.S. embassy in Beirut?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)