|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Friedman's wife?
2. Where does Friedman live in the U.S. when he first goes to the Middle East as a teenager?
3. What does Friedman say becomes a more threatening problem than Arafat?
(a) Syrian military force.
(b) Lebanese activism.
(d) Islamic fundamentalism.
4. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
(a) United States.
5. What does Begin do after his wife's death in November 1983?
(a) Resigns from government.
(b) Spends time in a kibbutz.
(c) Moves to Beirut.
(d) Goes to the United States.
6. On what date does a suicide bomber drive a truck into the U.S. embassy in Beirut?
(a) April 25, 1983.
(b) May 1, 1983.
(c) April 18, 1983.
(d) April 1, 1983.
7. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Damascus, Syria.
(b) Athens, Greece.
(c) Jerusalem, Israel.
(d) Amman, Jordan.
8. What do the Kahan Commission investigate?
(a) The PLO.
(b) The Sabra and Shatila massacre.
(c) The Insraeli invasion of Beirut.
(d) The Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
9. When do the U.S. Marines arrive in Beirut the first time?
(a) September, 1981.
(b) February, 1982.
(c) August, 1982.
(d) September, 1982.
10. When does the Israeli invasion of Lebanon begin?
11. Approximately how long does the main fighting occur in Hama?
(a) About two months.
(b) About two weeks.
(c) About two days.
(d) About two years.
12. When Friedman hears about the invasion, where is he?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At the Reuters office.
(c) At the Commodore Hotel.
(d) At the Intercontinental Hotel.
13. Who is the ruler of Syria during the time of the Hama massacre?
(a) Rifaat Assad.
(b) Abdul Hajjaj.
(c) Hafez Assad.
(d) Yasir Arafat.
14. The Muslim Brotherhood receives support from groups centered in what cities?
(a) Hama and Damascus.
(b) Hama and Beirut.
(c) Beirut and Aleppo.
(d) Hama and Aleppo.
15. Who organizes a peace march in April, 1984?
(a) The Phalangists.
(b) The Sunnis.
(c) Yasir Arafat.
(d) Iman Khalife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious/political group controls the Baath Party in this chapter?
2. According to Friedman, which of the following is a relatively new concept for Middle Easterners?
3. Friedman wins a Pulitzer Prize for his report on what?
4. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
5. When the civil war begins, what runs through the center of Beirut?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)