|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Friedman says that a reporter must understand his subject but he must also be what?
2. On the way to the airport in a taxi, what event does Friedman see and ignore?
(a) A traffic accident.
(b) A protest.
(c) A parade.
(d) A kidnapping.
3. According to Friedman, why do Beirutis never develop a strong national government?
(a) Because there is not a strong national leader.
(b) Because they learn to take care of themselves on a neighborhood basis.
(c) Because they don't like the idea of giving up local control.
(d) Because they don't believe in a national government.
4. Where does Friedman spend his high school summers?
(a) Kibbutz Hahotrim.
(b) Tel Aviv.
5. Which of the following is a function that the Lebanese fixer performs?
(a) He knows how to fix mechanical things, such as cars.
(b) He knows who to bribe and for how much.
(c) He knows where to get food.
(d) He knows how to avoid the fighting.
6. When do the Marines leave Beirut for the first time?
(a) October, 1982.
(b) August, 1982.
(c) September, 1982.
(d) January, 1982.
7. What is the name of Friedman's wife?
8. Where do the Friedmans fly to from Geneva at the beginning of the book?
9. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
(a) May, 1983.
(b) January, 1983.
(c) September, 1983.
(d) November, 1983.
10. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
(a) Between 10,000 to 25,000.
(b) Between 1,000 to 2,500.
(c) Between 10 to 25.
(d) Between 100 to 250.
11. The Americans become known as the stooges of what politician?
12. After the PLO and Arafat leave Beirut, who is left in charge?
(d) Israelis and Phalangists.
13. According to Friedman, what do the Americans believe is the Lebanese problem?
(a) The number of political parties in Lebanon.
(b) The lack of Lebanese military strength.
(c) The weakness of the Lebanese government.
(d) The number of militias in Lebanon.
14. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
15. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Damascus, Syria.
(b) Amman, Jordan.
(c) Athens, Greece.
(d) Jerusalem, Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Friedman hire as a fixer?
2. What is the reason the Marines first come to Beirut?
3. What Lebanese political party helps the Israelis during the occupation?
4. Who films city center Beirut in order to record what it looks like?
5. What area was partitioned after World War II by the United Nations?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)