|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Lebanese political party helps the Israelis during the occupation?
(a) None of them.
(b) The Republicans.
(c) The Conservatives.
(d) The Phalangists.
2. Who is the ruler of Syria during the time of the Hama massacre?
(a) Yasir Arafat.
(b) Abdul Hajjaj.
(c) Rifaat Assad.
(d) Hafez Assad.
3. What is the reason the Marines first come to Beirut?
(a) To oversee the Israelis.
(b) To help the Beirutis.
(c) To oversee the PLO departure.
(d) To help rebuild Beirut.
4. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
5. Where does much of Arafat's support come from?
(b) Refugee camps in Egypt.
(d) Refugee camps of Lebanon, Jordan and Syria.
6. When does Gemayel's government quit?
(a) December, 1983.
(b) February, 1984.
(c) March, 1984.
(d) January, 1984.
7. According to Friedman, what do the Americans believe is the Lebanese problem?
(a) The lack of Lebanese military strength.
(b) The number of militias in Lebanon.
(c) The weakness of the Lebanese government.
(d) The number of political parties in Lebanon.
8. What happens when the minute fighting stops in Bierut?
(a) Cars are moved into garages to prevent damage to them when fighting starts again.
(b) Shopkeepers open up their shops and life is back to normal.
(c) Children start playing in the streets.
(d) People stay inside because they are afraid.
9. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
(a) Menachem Begin.
(b) Ariel Sharon.
(c) Yasir Arafat.
(d) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
10. As he is preparing to leave Beirut, how many civil wars does Friedman say are going on?
11. Who films city center Beirut in order to record what it looks like?
12. Where had Friedman been before in the Middle East?
(a) Tel Aviv.
13. When the civil war begins, what runs through the center of Beirut?
(a) The Orange Line.
(b) The Green Line.
(c) The main north/south highway.
(d) The train tracks.
14. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
15. After the PLO and Arafat leave Beirut, who is left in charge?
(c) Israelis and Phalangists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the most famous fixers in Beirut?
2. Who assassinates Gemayel in 1982?
3. Where does Arafat grow up?
4. Before 1984, what do many Beirutis attribute their problems to?
5. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)