|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Friedman been before in the Middle East?
(b) Tel Aviv.
2. When do the Marines finish their withdrawal from Beirut?
(a) February 26, 1984.
(b) March 26, 1984.
(c) January 30, 1984.
(d) February 1, 1984.
3. How many people do the Red Cross estimate were killed during the Sabra and Shatila massacre?
4. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
5. According to Friedman, what do the Americans believe is the Lebanese problem?
(a) The lack of Lebanese military strength.
(b) The weakness of the Lebanese government.
(c) The number of political parties in Lebanon.
(d) The number of militias in Lebanon.
6. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 10 years.
7. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Amman, Jordan.
(b) Damascus, Syria.
(c) Jerusalem, Israel.
(d) Athens, Greece.
8. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
(b) United States.
9. Where in Hama do the journalists stay during the fighting?
(a) They moved around to avoid the main fighting.
(b) In the police station.
(c) Journalists were not allowed in Hama during the fighting.
(d) In the Commodore Hotel.
10. As he is preparing to leave Beirut, how many civil wars does Friedman say are going on?
11. Who does Friedman hire as a fixer?
(a) A policeman he knows.
(b) A Lebanese friend.
(c) He doesn't hire an individual as a fixer.
(d) A PLO agent he knows.
12. What religious/political group controls the Baath Party in this chapter?
(a) Muslim Brotherhood.
(d) Maronite Christians.
13. Why do the Marines return to Beirut?
(a) To support the Phalangists.
(b) To support the Lebanese governement.
(c) To support the Syrians.
(d) To support the Israelis.
14. When does Gemayel's government quit?
(a) March, 1984.
(b) December, 1983.
(c) January, 1984.
(d) February, 1984.
15. What is the secret to Arafat's success?
(a) His debonair dashing figure.
(b) His advisers.
(c) His military successes.
(d) The PLO and the way it is organized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Friedman spend a summer studying in college?
2. Where does Friedman learn to be a journalist?
3. Who organizes a peace march in April, 1984?
4. Where does Friedman spend his high school summers?
5. What happens at the Summerland Hotel during the fighting?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)