|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
(a) New York Times.
(b) United Press International.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) Des Moines Register.
2. What Lebanese political party helps the Israelis during the occupation?
(a) The Conservatives.
(b) The Phalangists.
(c) The Republicans.
(d) None of them.
3. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
(a) Because no one wants to live in Beirut.
(b) Because people never know when or where they might die.
(c) Because there are so many killings in Beirut.
(d) Because many people have moved out of Beirut.
4. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
5. What does the PLO represent to Arafat's supporters?
(d) Economic viability.
6. Who stays in Friedman's apartment when he moves to the Commodore Hotel?
(a) Two Americans.
(b) His driver's children.
(c) Two news correspondents.
(d) His wife.
7. When is the PLO formed?
8. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
9. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
10. According to Friedman, by October, 1983, what do most Beirutis consider the Marines to be?
(a) Another political group.
(b) An occupying force.
(c) A welcome help in rebuilding Beirut.
(d) Another militia group.
11. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
12. Which of the following is a function that the Lebanese fixer performs?
(a) He knows who to bribe and for how much.
(b) He knows how to fix mechanical things, such as cars.
(c) He knows where to get food.
(d) He knows how to avoid the fighting.
13. Before 1984, what do many Beirutis attribute their problems to?
(a) Outside agitators.
14. When do the U.S. Marines arrive in Beirut the first time?
(a) February, 1982.
(b) September, 1982.
(c) September, 1981.
(d) August, 1982.
15. What are the names of the two major Israeli political parties at the time of the invasion?
(a) The Likud Party and the Liberal Party.
(b) The Labor Party and the Liberal Party.
(c) The Liberal Party and the Conservative Party.
(d) The Likud Party and the Labor Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who issues the correspondents their credentials they need to travel?
2. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
3. Where does Friedman spend his high school summers?
4. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
5. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)