|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two worlds Friedman feels he has been traveling during his entire life?
(a) Israeli and Egyptian.
(b) Arab and Egyptian.
(c) Egyptian and Syrian.
(d) Arab and Israeli.
2. What outside group comes to the aid of the Muslim Brotherhood in Hama?
(a) The Beirutis.
(b) No outside group.
(c) The PLO.
(d) The Israelis.
3. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
(c) United States.
4. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
(a) Between 10,000 to 25,000.
(b) Between 1,000 to 2,500.
(c) Between 10 to 25.
(d) Between 100 to 250.
5. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
6. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
7. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
8. Before 1984, what do many Beirutis attribute their problems to?
(c) Outside agitators.
9. Who calls for a Jihad against Assad?
(a) The Israelis.
(b) The Muslim Brotherhood.
(c) The PLO.
(d) The local people in Hama.
10. According to Friedman, how do the people who remain in Beirut cope with the stress?
(a) They stay inside and board up their homes so they don't see what is happening.
(b) They meet in small groups and discuss ways to cope.
(c) They keep themselves busy with their jobs.
(d) They make up their own mind games or find ways to separate themselves from the victims.
11. When are the Marine barracks hit by a suicide truck bomb?
(a) October 15, 1983.
(b) October 30, 1983.
(c) October 1, 1983.
(d) October 23, 1983.
12. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
13. Who stays in Friedman's apartment when he moves to the Commodore Hotel?
(a) Two Americans.
(b) His driver's children.
(c) Two news correspondents.
(d) His wife.
14. Over time, who does Friedman learn to want to talk to for his information?
(a) The other journalists' fixers.
(b) The people who work in the hotel.
(c) The people who will not accept him in their clubs.
(d) The police.
15. Who organizes a peace march in April, 1984?
(a) The Sunnis.
(b) The Phalangists.
(c) Iman Khalife.
(d) Yasir Arafat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
2. What happens at the Summerland Hotel during the fighting?
3. Who films city center Beirut in order to record what it looks like?
4. Who is one of the most famous fixers in Beirut?
5. Which Jewish leader agrees to the plan to create two states, side by side, one for Jews and one for Arabs?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)