|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the secret to Arafat's success?
(a) The PLO and the way it is organized.
(b) His advisers.
(c) His military successes.
(d) His debonair dashing figure.
2. Where had Friedman been before in the Middle East?
(a) Tel Aviv.
3. What does Begin do after his wife's death in November 1983?
(a) Goes to the United States.
(b) Resigns from government.
(c) Spends time in a kibbutz.
(d) Moves to Beirut.
4. Friedman compares Beirut before the war to what city?
(b) New York.
5. What happens when the minute fighting stops in Bierut?
(a) Children start playing in the streets.
(b) People stay inside because they are afraid.
(c) Cars are moved into garages to prevent damage to them when fighting starts again.
(d) Shopkeepers open up their shops and life is back to normal.
6. What is the Syrian government's main goal for the attack on Hama?
(a) To take over the Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) To quell the Muslim Brotherhood's rebellion.
(c) To show how powerful they were.
(d) To run the local Hama government.
7. On what date does a suicide bomber drive a truck into the U.S. embassy in Beirut?
(a) April 18, 1983.
(b) April 25, 1983.
(c) April 1, 1983.
(d) May 1, 1983.
8. Why is the PLO in a strange position?
(a) Because Arafat only wants the PLO to engage in terrorism.
(b) Arafat won't acknowledge the Israelis, so the Israelis won't acknowledge the PLO.
(c) Because the international community views the PLO as a terrorist organization.
(d) Because the PLO won't acknowledge the Israelis, so there is no way to negotiate with them.
9. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
10. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
11. Approximately how long does the main fighting occur in Hama?
(a) About two days.
(b) About two years.
(c) About two months.
(d) About two weeks.
12. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
(b) United States.
13. The Muslim Brotherhood receives support from groups centered in what cities?
(a) Hama and Beirut.
(b) Hama and Aleppo.
(c) Hama and Damascus.
(d) Beirut and Aleppo.
14. What outside group comes to the aid of the Muslim Brotherhood in Hama?
(a) The Israelis.
(b) The PLO.
(c) The Beirutis.
(d) No outside group.
15. Friedman says that Sharon is a classic example of what?
(a) False leadership.
(b) Great leadership.
(c) True friendship.
(d) Great military leadership.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
2. When do the U.S. Marines arrive in Beirut the first time?
3. During the crises, on what basis does Beirut society function?
4. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
5. Where is Friedman when the Israelis invade Beirut?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)