|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the PLO represent to Arafat's supporters?
(c) Economic viability.
2. Friedman says that a reporter must understand his subject but he must also be what?
3. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Jerusalem, Israel.
(b) Damascus, Syria.
(c) Athens, Greece.
(d) Amman, Jordan.
4. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
5. During the crises, on what basis does Beirut society function?
(a) On the basis of churches.
(b) On the basis of tribes.
(c) On the basis of families.
(d) On the basis of neighborhoods.
6. When Friedman hears about the invasion, where is he?
(a) At the Commodore Hotel.
(b) At the Reuters office.
(c) At the police station.
(d) At the Intercontinental Hotel.
7. What do the Kahan Commission investigate?
(a) The Insraeli invasion of Beirut.
(b) The Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
(c) The Sabra and Shatila massacre.
(d) The PLO.
8. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
(a) Because many people have moved out of Beirut.
(b) Because no one wants to live in Beirut.
(c) Because people never know when or where they might die.
(d) Because there are so many killings in Beirut.
9. Where does Friedman learn to be a journalist?
(a) In journalism school.
(b) In London.
(c) In Jerusalem.
(d) In Beirut.
10. Who films city center Beirut in order to record what it looks like?
11. What area was partitioned after World War II by the United Nations?
12. When do the U.S. Marines arrive in Beirut the first time?
(a) September, 1982.
(b) September, 1981.
(c) February, 1982.
(d) August, 1982.
13. Who stays in Friedman's apartment when he moves to the Commodore Hotel?
(a) His driver's children.
(b) Two Americans.
(c) Two news correspondents.
(d) His wife.
14. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
15. The Americans become known as the stooges of what politician?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do correspondents in Beirut verify their facts?
2. Where is Friedman when the Israelis invade Beirut?
3. What characteristic of Friedman makes him unique among the Beirut correspondents?
4. How many people do the Red Cross estimate were killed during the Sabra and Shatila massacre?
5. When does the Israeli invasion of Lebanon begin?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)