|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Friedman wins a Pulitzer Prize for his report on what?
(a) The Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
(b) The Sabra and Shatila massacre.
(c) The role of Arafat and the Palestine National Council.
(d) The role of Arafat and the PLO in Lebanon.
2. In the chapter called The End of Something, where do the peace talks among the various Lebanese factions take place?
(a) Washington, DC.
(b) Beirut, Lebanon.
(c) Cairo, Egypt.
(d) Lausanne, Switzerland.
3. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
4. What outside group comes to the aid of the Muslim Brotherhood in Hama?
(a) The Israelis.
(b) The Beirutis.
(c) No outside group.
(d) The PLO.
5. Approximately how long does the main fighting occur in Hama?
(a) About two weeks.
(b) About two months.
(c) About two years.
(d) About two days.
6. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Jerusalem, Israel.
(b) Athens, Greece.
(c) Amman, Jordan.
(d) Damascus, Syria.
7. Who organizes a peace march in April, 1984?
(a) The Sunnis.
(b) Yasir Arafat.
(c) Iman Khalife.
(d) The Phalangists.
8. When the civil war begins, what runs through the center of Beirut?
(a) The main north/south highway.
(b) The Green Line.
(c) The train tracks.
(d) The Orange Line.
9. Where is Friedman when the Israelis invade Beirut?
(a) In West Beirut.
(b) At the Commodore Hotel.
(c) On vacation.
(d) In Jerusalem.
10. Where does Arafat grow up?
11. Which Jewish leader agrees to the plan to create two states, side by side, one for Jews and one for Arabs?
(a) Ariel Sharon.
(b) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
(c) Menachem Begin.
12. When Friedman hears about the invasion, where is he?
(a) At the Reuters office.
(b) At the police station.
(c) At the Commodore Hotel.
(d) At the Intercontinental Hotel.
13. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
(a) To provide a cover for terrorist activities.
(b) To provide an army to fight the Israelis.
(c) To exert some control over the Palestinians.
(d) To give some voice to the Palestinians.
14. On what date does a suicide bomber drive a truck into the U.S. embassy in Beirut?
(a) April 18, 1983.
(b) April 1, 1983.
(c) May 1, 1983.
(d) April 25, 1983.
15. Why is the PLO in a strange position?
(a) Because the PLO won't acknowledge the Israelis, so there is no way to negotiate with them.
(b) Arafat won't acknowledge the Israelis, so the Israelis won't acknowledge the PLO.
(c) Because Arafat only wants the PLO to engage in terrorism.
(d) Because the international community views the PLO as a terrorist organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Friedman, why do Beirutis never develop a strong national government?
2. On the way to the airport in a taxi, what event does Friedman see and ignore?
3. In June, 1982, what major event does Friedman cover while living in Beirut?
4. How do the normal Lebanese population treat the Israeli soldiers?
5. When does Gemayel's government quit?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)