|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over time, who does Friedman learn to want to talk to for his information?
(a) The police.
(b) The other journalists' fixers.
(c) The people who will not accept him in their clubs.
(d) The people who work in the hotel.
2. According to Friedman, why do Beirutis never develop a strong national government?
(a) Because they don't believe in a national government.
(b) Because they learn to take care of themselves on a neighborhood basis.
(c) Because they don't like the idea of giving up local control.
(d) Because there is not a strong national leader.
3. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. According to Friedman, by October, 1983, what do most Beirutis consider the Marines to be?
(a) An occupying force.
(b) A welcome help in rebuilding Beirut.
(c) Another militia group.
(d) Another political group.
5. What are the names of the two major Israeli political parties at the time of the invasion?
(a) The Likud Party and the Liberal Party.
(b) The Likud Party and the Labor Party.
(c) The Labor Party and the Liberal Party.
(d) The Liberal Party and the Conservative Party.
6. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
7. Why do many of the local Beirutis think that Friedman is privy to information?
(a) Because he has a computer.
(b) Because he lives in a hotel.
(c) Because he is a news correspondent.
(d) Because he is an American.
8. What happens when the minute fighting stops in Bierut?
(a) Shopkeepers open up their shops and life is back to normal.
(b) Cars are moved into garages to prevent damage to them when fighting starts again.
(c) Children start playing in the streets.
(d) People stay inside because they are afraid.
9. When do Arafat and the PLO leave Beirut?
(a) August, 1982.
(b) September, 1982.
(c) June, 1982.
(d) July, 1982.
10. What is the name of Friedman's wife?
11. The Muslim Brotherhood receives support from groups centered in what cities?
(a) Hama and Beirut.
(b) Beirut and Aleppo.
(c) Hama and Aleppo.
(d) Hama and Damascus.
12. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
(a) To provide an army to fight the Israelis.
(b) To give some voice to the Palestinians.
(c) To exert some control over the Palestinians.
(d) To provide a cover for terrorist activities.
13. Which Jewish leader agrees to the plan to create two states, side by side, one for Jews and one for Arabs?
(a) Menachem Begin.
(b) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
(d) Ariel Sharon.
14. What Lebanese political party helps the Israelis during the occupation?
(a) The Phalangists.
(b) None of them.
(c) The Conservatives.
(d) The Republicans.
15. Friedman wins a Pulitzer Prize for his report on what?
(a) The role of Arafat and the Palestine National Council.
(b) The Sabra and Shatila massacre.
(c) The role of Arafat and the PLO in Lebanon.
(d) The Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Friedman, how do the people who remain in Beirut cope with the stress?
2. How do the normal Lebanese population treat the Israeli soldiers?
3. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
4. Where is Arafat born?
5. Who is Amnon Shahak?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)