|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter called The End of Something, where do the peace talks among the various Lebanese factions take place?
(a) Beirut, Lebanon.
(b) Washington, DC.
(c) Cairo, Egypt.
(d) Lausanne, Switzerland.
2. What is the Green Line?
(a) A line that separates Israel and Lebanon.
(b) A line that separates East and West Beirut.
(c) A line that surrounds the city of Beirut.
(d) A line that separates North and South Beirut.
3. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
4. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
(a) January, 1983.
(b) November, 1983.
(c) May, 1983.
(d) September, 1983.
5. Which of the following is a function that the Lebanese fixer performs?
(a) He knows who to bribe and for how much.
(b) He knows where to get food.
(c) He knows how to fix mechanical things, such as cars.
(d) He knows how to avoid the fighting.
6. What is the Syrian government's main goal for the attack on Hama?
(a) To take over the Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) To run the local Hama government.
(c) To show how powerful they were.
(d) To quell the Muslim Brotherhood's rebellion.
7. How do the normal Lebanese population treat the Israeli soldiers?
(a) They treat them well.
(b) They shoot at them.
(c) They spit at them.
(d) They ignore them.
8. Where is Friedman when the Israelis invade Beirut?
(a) In West Beirut.
(b) At the Commodore Hotel.
(c) In Jerusalem.
(d) On vacation.
9. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
10. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
11. Before 1984, what do many Beirutis attribute their problems to?
(c) Outside agitators.
12. What is the reason the Marines first come to Beirut?
(a) To help rebuild Beirut.
(b) To oversee the Israelis.
(c) To help the Beirutis.
(d) To oversee the PLO departure.
13. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
(c) United States.
14. Where do correspondents in Beirut verify their facts?
(a) The local government.
(b) There is no place to go.
(c) The police.
(d) The news agency headquarters.
15. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Jerusalem, Israel.
(b) Athens, Greece.
(c) Damascus, Syria.
(d) Amman, Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Friedman, what do the Americans believe is the Lebanese problem?
2. In June, 1982, what major event does Friedman cover while living in Beirut?
3. What year is the flight the Friedmans take at the beginning of the book?
4. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
5. Who calls for a Jihad against Assad?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)