|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
2. In the chapter called The End of Something, where do the peace talks among the various Lebanese factions take place?
(a) Lausanne, Switzerland.
(b) Washington, DC.
(c) Cairo, Egypt.
(d) Beirut, Lebanon.
3. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
4. Who is the ruler of Syria during the time of the Hama massacre?
(a) Yasir Arafat.
(b) Abdul Hajjaj.
(c) Hafez Assad.
(d) Rifaat Assad.
5. Where does Friedman live in the U.S. when he first goes to the Middle East as a teenager?
6. What happens when the minute fighting stops in Bierut?
(a) People stay inside because they are afraid.
(b) Children start playing in the streets.
(c) Cars are moved into garages to prevent damage to them when fighting starts again.
(d) Shopkeepers open up their shops and life is back to normal.
7. Where is Arafat born?
(a) Gaza or Egypt.
(d) Syria or Egypt.
8. Winner of the 1967 Six Day War?
9. When do the Israelis pull out of the Shouf Mountains?
(a) August, 1983.
(b) October, 1983.
(c) July, 1983.
(d) September, 1983.
10. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 5 years.
11. As he is preparing to leave Beirut, how many civil wars does Friedman say are going on?
12. According to Friedman, by October, 1983, what do most Beirutis consider the Marines to be?
(a) A welcome help in rebuilding Beirut.
(b) Another militia group.
(c) An occupying force.
(d) Another political group.
13. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
14. Who issues the correspondents their credentials they need to travel?
(a) The government in Beirut.
(b) Each of the different militias.
(c) The governments of the places where they travel.
(d) The police.
15. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
(a) Creative writing.
(b) Jewish culture & history.
(d) Middle Eastern history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the flight the Friedmans take at the beginning of the book?
2. Where does Arafat grow up?
3. When are the Marine barracks hit by a suicide truck bomb?
4. When Friedman hears about the invasion, where is he?
5. In June, 1982, what major event does Friedman cover while living in Beirut?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)