|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Americans become known as the stooges of what politician?
2. When do the Marines leave Beirut for the first time?
(a) January, 1982.
(b) October, 1982.
(c) August, 1982.
(d) September, 1982.
3. What happens when the minute fighting stops in Bierut?
(a) Cars are moved into garages to prevent damage to them when fighting starts again.
(b) People stay inside because they are afraid.
(c) Shopkeepers open up their shops and life is back to normal.
(d) Children start playing in the streets.
4. Who stays in Friedman's apartment when he moves to the Commodore Hotel?
(a) His driver's children.
(b) His wife.
(c) Two news correspondents.
(d) Two Americans.
5. Why is the PLO successful under Arafat?
(a) Because of Arafat's advisors.
(b) Because Arafat was good at public relations.
(c) Because of Arafat's terrorist activities.
(d) Because of the personal skills of Arafat.
6. The Muslim Brotherhood receives support from groups centered in what cities?
(a) Hama and Aleppo.
(b) Beirut and Aleppo.
(c) Hama and Beirut.
(d) Hama and Damascus.
7. Winner of the 1967 Six Day War?
8. On the way to the airport in a taxi, what event does Friedman see and ignore?
(a) A protest.
(b) A kidnapping.
(c) A parade.
(d) A traffic accident.
9. What religious/political group controls the Baath Party in this chapter?
(b) Maronite Christians.
(d) Muslim Brotherhood.
10. Who is elected president of Lebanon in 1982?
(a) Abu Musa.
11. What is the secret to Arafat's success?
(a) His debonair dashing figure.
(b) The PLO and the way it is organized.
(c) His advisers.
(d) His military successes.
12. Who issues the correspondents their credentials they need to travel?
(a) The governments of the places where they travel.
(b) The government in Beirut.
(c) The police.
(d) Each of the different militias.
13. What are the two worlds Friedman feels he has been traveling during his entire life?
(a) Arab and Israeli.
(b) Israeli and Egyptian.
(c) Arab and Egyptian.
(d) Egyptian and Syrian.
14. Where does Friedman live in the U.S. when he first goes to the Middle East as a teenager?
15. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Jerusalem, Israel.
(b) Athens, Greece.
(c) Damascus, Syria.
(d) Amman, Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Friedman, which of the following is a relatively new concept for Middle Easterners?
2. What Lebanese political party helps the Israelis during the occupation?
3. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
4. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
5. Where does the Beirut press congregate?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)