|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
2. What does Begin do after his wife's death in November 1983?
(a) Spends time in a kibbutz.
(b) Resigns from government.
(c) Goes to the United States.
(d) Moves to Beirut.
3. What is the Syrian government's main goal for the attack on Hama?
(a) To show how powerful they were.
(b) To take over the Muslim Brotherhood.
(c) To run the local Hama government.
(d) To quell the Muslim Brotherhood's rebellion.
4. When Arafat takes over control of the PLO, what did he turn it into?
(a) A pan-Arab economic movement.
(b) A Palestinian national movement.
(c) A guerrilla movement.
(d) A local Lebanese movement.
5. On what date does a suicide bomber drive a truck into the U.S. embassy in Beirut?
(a) April 25, 1983.
(b) May 1, 1983.
(c) April 18, 1983.
(d) April 1, 1983.
6. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
7. Where does much of Arafat's support come from?
(a) Refugee camps of Lebanon, Jordan and Syria.
(c) Refugee camps in Egypt.
8. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
(b) United States.
9. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
(a) Between 10 to 25.
(b) Between 1,000 to 2,500.
(c) Between 100 to 250.
(d) Between 10,000 to 25,000.
10. What group makes up the foundation of the Hezbollah?
11. When Friedman hears about the invasion, where is he?
(a) At the Reuters office.
(b) At the police station.
(c) At the Commodore Hotel.
(d) At the Intercontinental Hotel.
12. Why is the PLO successful under Arafat?
(a) Because Arafat was good at public relations.
(b) Because of the personal skills of Arafat.
(c) Because of Arafat's terrorist activities.
(d) Because of Arafat's advisors.
13. According to Friedman, how do the people who remain in Beirut cope with the stress?
(a) They meet in small groups and discuss ways to cope.
(b) They keep themselves busy with their jobs.
(c) They stay inside and board up their homes so they don't see what is happening.
(d) They make up their own mind games or find ways to separate themselves from the victims.
14. Where does Friedman spend a summer studying in college?
(b) Tel Aviv.
15. On the way to the airport in a taxi, what event does Friedman see and ignore?
(a) A traffic accident.
(b) A parade.
(c) A protest.
(d) A kidnapping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Friedman analyzes Hama from different perspectives. What is one of these perspectives?
2. Who stays in Friedman's apartment when he moves to the Commodore Hotel?
3. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
4. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
5. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)