|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Friedman when the Israelis invade Beirut?
(a) On vacation.
(b) At the Commodore Hotel.
(c) In West Beirut.
(d) In Jerusalem.
2. Where does Friedman live in the U.S. when he first goes to the Middle East as a teenager?
3. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
(a) September, 1983.
(b) May, 1983.
(c) January, 1983.
(d) November, 1983.
4. Why is the PLO in a strange position?
(a) Because the PLO won't acknowledge the Israelis, so there is no way to negotiate with them.
(b) Because the international community views the PLO as a terrorist organization.
(c) Because Arafat only wants the PLO to engage in terrorism.
(d) Arafat won't acknowledge the Israelis, so the Israelis won't acknowledge the PLO.
5. Who stays in Friedman's apartment when he moves to the Commodore Hotel?
(a) His driver's children.
(b) Two Americans.
(c) Two news correspondents.
(d) His wife.
6. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
7. Over time, who does Friedman learn to want to talk to for his information?
(a) The other journalists' fixers.
(b) The people who work in the hotel.
(c) The people who will not accept him in their clubs.
(d) The police.
8. According to Friedman, what do the Americans believe is the Lebanese problem?
(a) The number of political parties in Lebanon.
(b) The weakness of the Lebanese government.
(c) The lack of Lebanese military strength.
(d) The number of militias in Lebanon.
9. What group makes up the foundation of the Hezbollah?
10. Who organizes a peace march in April, 1984?
(a) Iman Khalife.
(b) The Sunnis.
(c) Yasir Arafat.
(d) The Phalangists.
11. When do the Israelis pull out of the Shouf Mountains?
(a) October, 1983.
(b) July, 1983.
(c) August, 1983.
(d) September, 1983.
12. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
13. Who assassinates Gemayel in 1982?
14. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
(a) New York Times.
(b) United Press International.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) Des Moines Register.
15. Where in Hama do the journalists stay during the fighting?
(a) They moved around to avoid the main fighting.
(b) Journalists were not allowed in Hama during the fighting.
(c) In the police station.
(d) In the Commodore Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Friedman, how do the people who remain in Beirut cope with the stress?
2. Who brokers the peace agreement between Lebanon and Israel in 1983?
3. Who is one of the most famous fixers in Beirut?
4. When does Gemayel's government quit?
5. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)