|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is elected president of Lebanon in 1982?
(d) Abu Musa.
2. Why do many of the local Beirutis think that Friedman is privy to information?
(a) Because he is a news correspondent.
(b) Because he is an American.
(c) Because he has a computer.
(d) Because he lives in a hotel.
3. What Lebanese political party helps the Israelis during the occupation?
(a) None of them.
(b) The Phalangists.
(c) The Conservatives.
(d) The Republicans.
4. Where does Friedman go when the fighting begins as curfew goes into effect?
(a) Police station.
(b) Commodore Hotel.
(c) His apartment.
5. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
6. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
(a) A Syrian.
(b) A terrorist.
(c) A refugee family.
(d) An Israeli.
7. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
8. When do Arafat and the PLO leave Beirut?
(a) September, 1982.
(b) July, 1982.
(c) June, 1982.
(d) August, 1982.
9. What does Friedman say becomes a more threatening problem than Arafat?
(a) Syrian military force.
(c) Islamic fundamentalism.
(d) Lebanese activism.
10. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
(a) Because there are so many killings in Beirut.
(b) Because no one wants to live in Beirut.
(c) Because many people have moved out of Beirut.
(d) Because people never know when or where they might die.
11. What are the names of the two major Israeli political parties at the time of the invasion?
(a) The Likud Party and the Liberal Party.
(b) The Labor Party and the Liberal Party.
(c) The Likud Party and the Labor Party.
(d) The Liberal Party and the Conservative Party.
12. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
(a) Between 10,000 to 25,000.
(b) Between 100 to 250.
(c) Between 1,000 to 2,500.
(d) Between 10 to 25.
13. What happens at the Summerland Hotel during the fighting?
(a) The hotel closes.
(b) The hotel becomes a meeting place for journalists.
(c) The hotel becomes a haven for the homeless.
(d) The hotel begins to cater to wealthy locals.
14. Where does much of Arafat's support come from?
(c) Refugee camps in Egypt.
(d) Refugee camps of Lebanon, Jordan and Syria.
15. When does Gemayel's government quit?
(a) January, 1984.
(b) March, 1984.
(c) February, 1984.
(d) December, 1983.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls for a Jihad against Assad?
2. Why does Friedman refer to Yasir Arafat as the "teflon guerrilla"?
3. Where had Friedman been before in the Middle East?
4. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
5. When is the PLO formed?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)