|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Arafat born?
(a) Gaza or Egypt.
(d) Syria or Egypt.
2. What outside group comes to the aid of the Muslim Brotherhood in Hama?
(a) The Beirutis.
(b) No outside group.
(c) The PLO.
(d) The Israelis.
3. What does the PLO represent to Arafat's supporters?
(d) Economic viability.
4. Where is Friedman when the Israelis invade Beirut?
(a) On vacation.
(b) In Jerusalem.
(c) At the Commodore Hotel.
(d) In West Beirut.
5. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
6. Why do many of the local Beirutis think that Friedman is privy to information?
(a) Because he has a computer.
(b) Because he is an American.
(c) Because he is a news correspondent.
(d) Because he lives in a hotel.
7. Who kills the refugees at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps?
8. What is the secret to Arafat's success?
(a) His debonair dashing figure.
(b) His military successes.
(c) The PLO and the way it is organized.
(d) His advisers.
9. Over time, who does Friedman learn to want to talk to for his information?
(a) The people who work in the hotel.
(b) The police.
(c) The people who will not accept him in their clubs.
(d) The other journalists' fixers.
10. Who is Amnon Shahak?
(a) Friedman's maid.
(b) Another foreign correspondent.
(c) Friedman's driver.
(d) Friedman's friend.
11. In the chapter called The End of Something, where do the peace talks among the various Lebanese factions take place?
(a) Lausanne, Switzerland.
(b) Beirut, Lebanon.
(c) Cairo, Egypt.
(d) Washington, DC.
12. Friedman compares Beirut before the war to what city?
(a) New York.
13. Why do the Marines return to Beirut?
(a) To support the Syrians.
(b) To support the Israelis.
(c) To support the Lebanese governement.
(d) To support the Phalangists.
14. After the PLO and Arafat leave Beirut, who is left in charge?
(a) Israelis and Phalangists.
15. In June, 1982, what major event does Friedman cover while living in Beirut?
(a) The Israeli/Palestianian conference.
(b) The Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
(c) The US/Palestinian conference.
(d) The Palestinian invasion of Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the crises, on what basis does Beirut society function?
2. How do the normal Lebanese population treat the Israeli soldiers?
3. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
4. Friedman says that a reporter must understand his subject but he must also be what?
5. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)