|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
(a) Des Moines Register.
(b) New York Times.
(c) United Press International.
(d) The Washington Post.
2. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
(a) To provide an army to fight the Israelis.
(b) To give some voice to the Palestinians.
(c) To exert some control over the Palestinians.
(d) To provide a cover for terrorist activities.
3. What do the Kahan Commission investigate?
(a) The PLO.
(b) The Sabra and Shatila massacre.
(c) The Insraeli invasion of Beirut.
(d) The Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
4. The Americans become known as the stooges of what politician?
5. Which of the following is a function that the Lebanese fixer performs?
(a) He knows who to bribe and for how much.
(b) He knows where to get food.
(c) He knows how to fix mechanical things, such as cars.
(d) He knows how to avoid the fighting.
6. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
(a) Ariel Sharon.
(b) Yasir Arafat.
(c) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
(d) Menachem Begin.
7. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
8. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
(a) Between 100 to 250.
(b) Between 1,000 to 2,500.
(c) Between 10,000 to 25,000.
(d) Between 10 to 25.
9. According to Friedman, who is the first person who wants U.S. troops in Beirut?
10. What are the two worlds Friedman feels he has been traveling during his entire life?
(a) Arab and Egyptian.
(b) Egyptian and Syrian.
(c) Israeli and Egyptian.
(d) Arab and Israeli.
11. Friedman says that a reporter must understand his subject but he must also be what?
12. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
13. Who calls for a Jihad against Assad?
(a) The Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) The Israelis.
(c) The local people in Hama.
(d) The PLO.
14. What is the Syrian government's main goal for the attack on Hama?
(a) To quell the Muslim Brotherhood's rebellion.
(b) To run the local Hama government.
(c) To take over the Muslim Brotherhood.
(d) To show how powerful they were.
15. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Marines finish their withdrawal from Beirut?
2. Where does Arafat grow up?
3. What is the reason the Marines first come to Beirut?
4. Friedman analyzes Hama from different perspectives. What is one of these perspectives?
5. When does Gemayel's government quit?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)