|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Friedman says that Sharon is a classic example of what?
(a) Great leadership.
(b) False leadership.
(c) Great military leadership.
(d) True friendship.
2. Before 1984, what do many Beirutis attribute their problems to?
(d) Outside agitators.
3. What does the PLO represent to Arafat's supporters?
(c) Economic viability.
4. Where does Friedman learn to be a journalist?
(a) In London.
(b) In Beirut.
(c) In Jerusalem.
(d) In journalism school.
5. Friedman analyzes Hama from different perspectives. What is one of these perspectives?
(a) Tradition of religion.
(b) Tradition of loyalism.
(c) Tradition of tribes.
(d) Tradition of brotherhood.
6. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
(b) Middle Eastern history.
(c) Jewish culture & history.
(d) Creative writing.
7. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
(a) Yasir Arafat.
(b) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
(c) Menachem Begin.
(d) Ariel Sharon.
8. What is the Green Line?
(a) A line that separates East and West Beirut.
(b) A line that separates Israel and Lebanon.
(c) A line that surrounds the city of Beirut.
(d) A line that separates North and South Beirut.
9. Where in Hama do the journalists stay during the fighting?
(a) Journalists were not allowed in Hama during the fighting.
(b) In the Commodore Hotel.
(c) They moved around to avoid the main fighting.
(d) In the police station.
10. What religious/political group controls the Baath Party in this chapter?
(a) Muslim Brotherhood.
(b) Maronite Christians.
11. How long do Friedman and his wife stay in the Middle East?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 15 years.
12. What is the secret to Arafat's success?
(a) His advisers.
(b) The PLO and the way it is organized.
(c) His debonair dashing figure.
(d) His military successes.
13. Who is the ruler of Syria during the time of the Hama massacre?
(a) Yasir Arafat.
(b) Abdul Hajjaj.
(c) Rifaat Assad.
(d) Hafez Assad.
14. What does Begin do after his wife's death in November 1983?
(a) Moves to Beirut.
(b) Spends time in a kibbutz.
(c) Goes to the United States.
(d) Resigns from government.
15. The Americans become known as the stooges of what politician?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
2. Who is one of the most famous fixers in Beirut?
3. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
4. Where do the Friedmans fly to from Geneva at the beginning of the book?
5. Where does Arafat grow up?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)