|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
2. Approximately how long does the main fighting occur in Hama?
(a) About two weeks.
(b) About two days.
(c) About two months.
(d) About two years.
3. When do the Marines finish their withdrawal from Beirut?
(a) January 30, 1984.
(b) February 1, 1984.
(c) February 26, 1984.
(d) March 26, 1984.
4. Winner of the 1967 Six Day War?
5. What year is the flight the Friedmans take at the beginning of the book?
6. Who is one of the most famous fixers in Beirut?
(b) Hafez Assad.
(d) Abdul Hajjaj.
7. When are the Marine barracks hit by a suicide truck bomb?
(a) October 30, 1983.
(b) October 1, 1983.
(c) October 23, 1983.
(d) October 15, 1983.
8. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
(a) To provide a cover for terrorist activities.
(b) To exert some control over the Palestinians.
(c) To provide an army to fight the Israelis.
(d) To give some voice to the Palestinians.
9. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
(a) An Israeli.
(b) A terrorist.
(c) A Syrian.
(d) A refugee family.
10. Which of the following is a function that the Lebanese fixer performs?
(a) He knows where to get food.
(b) He knows how to avoid the fighting.
(c) He knows how to fix mechanical things, such as cars.
(d) He knows who to bribe and for how much.
11. Friedman says that a reporter must understand his subject but he must also be what?
12. Where is Arafat born?
(b) Syria or Egypt.
(c) Gaza or Egypt.
13. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
(a) Because people never know when or where they might die.
(b) Because no one wants to live in Beirut.
(c) Because there are so many killings in Beirut.
(d) Because many people have moved out of Beirut.
14. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
15. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
(a) New York Times.
(b) Des Moines Register.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) United Press International.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter on Beirut, when does Friedman's Jewishness affect him?
2. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
3. What is the reason the Marines first come to Beirut?
4. How do the normal Lebanese population treat the Israeli soldiers?
5. Where does Friedman spend a summer studying in college?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)