|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Poker, Beirut-Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Friedman, which of the following is a relatively new concept for Middle Easterners?
(a) Tribal loyalty.
(b) Authoritarian rule.
(c) The nation state.
(d) Journalistic review.
2. Where does Arafat grow up?
3. What is the purpose of the PLO when it is formed?
(a) To provide an army to fight the Israelis.
(b) To give some voice to the Palestinians.
(c) To exert some control over the Palestinians.
(d) To provide a cover for terrorist activities.
4. What happens at the Summerland Hotel during the fighting?
(a) The hotel closes.
(b) The hotel becomes a meeting place for journalists.
(c) The hotel becomes a haven for the homeless.
(d) The hotel begins to cater to wealthy locals.
5. Who calls for a Jihad against Assad?
(a) The local people in Hama.
(b) The PLO.
(c) The Israelis.
(d) The Muslim Brotherhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Friedman says that Sharon is a classic example of what?
2. Which Jewish leader agrees to the plan to create two states, side by side, one for Jews and one for Arabs?
3. Friedman says that a reporter must understand his subject but he must also be what?
4. What are the two worlds Friedman feels he has been traveling during his entire life?
5. When do the Israelis begin to withdraw from Lebanon?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)