Prelude: From Minneapolis to Beirut
• The book opens with Friedman and his wife Ann boarding a flight to Beirut from Geneva in June, 1979.
• This begins their 10-year stay in the Middle East.
• Friedman became fascinated with the Middle East when he visited there as a teen.
• He studies about Israel and the Middle East beginning in high school, continuing through college and graduate school, where he earns a Master's in Middle Eastern history and politics at Oxford, England.
• His journalism career begins during graduate school when he writes OP Ed pieces.
• When he graduates from Oxford in June, 1978, he takes a job with United Press International in the London Bureau.
• Soon after his arrival at UPI, the Iranian Revolution and oil crisis occurs.
• He becomes the UPI London Bureau oil expert through his hard work and research.
• In 1979, he is sent to Beirut as a correspondent.
• Lebanon has...
This section contains 3,046 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)