|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Friedrich find when he comes back to his apartment?
(a) The narrator crying in the middle of the living room.
(b) Rats already taking over.
(c) Herr Resch ransacking the place.
(d) Blood all over the floor.
2. What happens as Friedrich is eating?
(a) Friedrich begins sobbing.
(b) The sirens begin to wail.
(c) The police pound on the door.
(d) Friedrich slumps over dead asleep.
3. What does the attendant do?
(a) Refuses to allow Friedrich to change in the locker room.
(b) Tears up Friedrich's id.
(c) Calls the police.
(d) Slaps Friedrich for swimming in the pool.
4. What does the rabbi say he understands?
(a) The way of the peaceful warrior.
(b) The reasons the Germans hate the Jews.
(c) The danger to the narrator's family.
(d) The fact that his life may end soon.
5. What does Herr Schneider pay to have done?
(a) His door repaired and the roses fixed.
(b) Have his wife's body sent to Israel.
(c) Have a bodyguard for Friedrich.
(d) To send Friedrich to the United States.
6. Why does the narrator's family not sleep the night the rabbi and Herr Schneider are taken?
(a) Thinking about how far Germany has fallen morally.
(b) Wondering if Herr Resch will turn on them.
(c) Worrying they may be next.
(d) Because of worrying about Friedrich.
7. Over what does Friedrich weep?
(a) His inability to go to school.
(b) The notice in the letter.
(c) His mother's death.
(d) Being hungry.
8. For what has the narrator been reprimanded?
(a) For skipping school too often.
(b) For helping the mob smash Jewish homes.
(c) For consorting with a Jew.
(d) For refusing to see Friedrich anymore.
9. The narrator picks what up and uses it?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A canister of tear gas.
(d) A bullhorn.
10. What does the narrator's family do when told to go inside their apartment?
(a) Go inside.
(b) Spit on Herr Resch.
(c) Stand where they are.
(d) Try to attack the policeman.
11. Where do the narrator and Friedrich go?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To a skating rink.
(c) To the swimiming pool.
(d) To watch the tanks go by on their way to Poland.
12. What does Schloime ask of God?
(a) Why God loves others but not the Jews.
(b) Why the Jews cannot find peace.
(c) Why God has forsaken him.
(d) Why God can not crush his enemies.
13. When Friedrich tries to run out of the theater, who stops him?
(a) A policeman.
(b) No one.
(c) An old usherette.
(d) The narrator.
14. What does Dr. Levy place beside Frau Schneider's body?
(a) A lit candle.
(b) A cross.
(c) A marzuka.
(d) A copy of the torah.
15. What does Herr Schneider start to say?
(a) "You were right, Herr..."
(b) "Go to..."
(c) "You are going to burn..."
(d) "You bas..."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens the Schneider's door?
2. What do the boys do while circling the town?
3. What does Herr Schneider learn?
4. How does the narrator's family know it is Friedrich at the door?
5. Why does the narrator run upstairs to Friedrich's apartment?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)