|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator bring Herr Schneider?
(a) A dozen candles.
(b) A small heater.
(c) A cooked chicken.
(d) A letter mistakenly delivered to the narrator's house.
2. Why doesn't Friedrich meet with the girl as agreed upon?
(a) He is afraid for her safety.
(b) He worries she will turn him in.
(c) He forgets where they are to meet.
(d) He decides he does not like her.
3. What does Solomon do?
(a) Goes to another land.
(b) Starves to death.
(c) Kills himself.
(d) Kills the soldiers.
4. Who is Helga?
(a) His mother's only sibling.
(b) The new cleaning lady that the narrator's mother hires.
(c) A girl with whom Friedrich falls in love.
(d) His paternal aunt.
5. Of what does Friedrich's father warn Friedrich?
(a) Being good to his aunt.
(b) Getting interested in a girl.
(c) The need to be more circumspect.
(d) The need to leave Germany.
6. Who gives Friedrich an engraved fountain pen?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Frau Peng.
(c) The narrator's father.
7. Where does the narrator's family sit in the shelter?
(a) Next to another family of the same age.
(b) In the room away from the door.
(c) As far away from Resch as possible.
(d) Near the fresh air pump.
8. How does Herr Schneider earn money?
(a) Collecting junk and selling it.
(b) Scribing for others.
(c) As a janitor.
(d) Polishing lamps.
9. What is the rabbi sewing on his clothes?
(a) Hidden pockets.
(b) Yellow stars of David.
(c) The swastika.
10. Why does the narrator's family not sleep the night the rabbi and Herr Schneider are taken?
(a) Thinking about how far Germany has fallen morally.
(b) Wondering if Herr Resch will turn on them.
(c) Because of worrying about Friedrich.
(d) Worrying they may be next.
11. Who does the rabbi say will help him further?
(a) No one.
(b) His wife's family.
(c) Other friends.
(d) A German soldier whose life the rabbi saved.
12. What does Herr Schneider learn?
(a) That he is being evicted again.
(b) That he may have a job in Dusseldorf.
(c) That he is being sent to a camp.
(d) That he is can no longer live in this town.
13. What does Friedrich find when he comes back to his apartment?
(a) Herr Resch ransacking the place.
(b) Rats already taking over.
(c) The narrator crying in the middle of the living room.
(d) Blood all over the floor.
14. Where is Friedrich?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Hiding in the attic.
(c) He left for the United States.
(d) At Helga's home.
15. What has Friedrich lost?
(a) His bike.
(b) His id.
(c) The tag to his clothes.
(d) His best agate marble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Friedrich's father give him?
2. For what has the narrator been reprimanded?
3. What name does Friedrich call Resch?
4. Why does Friedrich leave his apartment?
5. When Friedrich tries to run out of the theater, who stops him?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)