|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Solomon do?
(a) Goes to another land.
(b) Kills himself.
(c) Kills the soldiers.
(d) Starves to death.
2. Of what does Friedrich's father warn Friedrich?
(a) The need to leave Germany.
(b) Being good to his aunt.
(c) Getting interested in a girl.
(d) The need to be more circumspect.
3. The narrator picks what up and uses it?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A canister of tear gas.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A bullhorn.
4. Where do the narrator and Friedrich go?
(a) To the swimiming pool.
(b) To watch the tanks go by on their way to Poland.
(c) To a skating rink.
(d) To the movies.
5. What does the narrator's family do when told to go inside their apartment?
(a) Go inside.
(b) Stand where they are.
(c) Try to attack the policeman.
(d) Spit on Herr Resch.
6. What does the rabbi insist upon doing?
(a) Saying the Sabbath prayers.
(b) Leaving the Schneider home.
(c) Meeting the narrator and thanking him.
(d) Taking off the Star of David on his jacket.
7. For what has the narrator been reprimanded?
(a) For skipping school too often.
(b) For helping the mob smash Jewish homes.
(c) For consorting with a Jew.
(d) For refusing to see Friedrich anymore.
8. What does Schuster demand of the boys when he sees Friedrich?
(a) That they pretend not to see him.
(b) That they spit on Friedrich.
(c) That they run around him in circles to intimidate him.
(d) Demands his boys show what Germans do to inferior Jews.
9. What do the boys do while circling the town?
(a) Stop and help people clean the sidewalks.
(b) Run and chant.
(c) Cry out "Heil Hitler" continuously.
(d) Wear blindfolds.
10. Where is Friedrich?
(a) No where to be seen.
(b) In the narrator's apartment.
(c) On the stoop.
(d) In the back yard.
11. What does Friedrich give at the Sabbath feast?
(a) A silver coin to each person present.
(b) A toast to the narrator.
(c) A warm welcome.
(d) A grown-up speech.
12. Who does the rabbi say will help him further?
(a) No one.
(b) Other friends.
(c) His wife's family.
(d) A German soldier whose life the rabbi saved.
13. Over what does Friedrich weep?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) Being hungry.
(c) His inability to go to school.
(d) The notice in the letter.
14. What does Friedrich start doing with a girl?
(a) Walking throught the park on little-used paths.
(b) Learning how to speak Yiddish.
(c) Studying together since neither are allowed in school.
(d) Taking her to the movies.
15. About what do the boys chant?
(a) About the Olympics.
(b) Nothing; they are absolutely silent while they circle Friedrich.
(c) About the Jews perishing in the Red Sea, bringing peace to the world.
(d) About Hitler's love for his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does the narrator worry?
2. What does the narrator find himself doing without thinking?
3. What indications are there that the air raid siren is not a false alarm?
4. Why are Friedrich and his father having uncharacteristic arguments?
5. Why doesn't Friedrich meet with the girl as agreed upon?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)