|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Friedrich do to Resch?
(a) Spits in his face.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Offers his forgiveness.
(d) Kills him.
2. When Friedrich tries to run out of the theater, who stops him?
(a) An old usherette.
(b) A policeman.
(c) No one.
(d) The narrator.
3. How does Friedrich meet Helga?
(a) The narrator introduces them.
(b) Her bag of apples splits and he helps her gather them up.
(c) She came to visit her sister's gravesite.
(d) His father invited her to visit.
4. What is the group of people doing that the narrator joins?
(a) Protesting the lack of jobs.
(b) Listening to Adolf Hitler.
(c) Smashing and looting Jewish shops.
(d) Protesting the treatement of the Jews.
5. What do the boys do next?
(a) Swim and sun.
(b) Read the newspaper at the library.
(c) Play soccer.
(d) Chase some girls in fun.
6. What happens as Friedrich is eating?
(a) The sirens begin to wail.
(b) The police pound on the door.
(c) Friedrich slumps over dead asleep.
(d) Friedrich begins sobbing.
7. Who is Helga?
(a) The new cleaning lady that the narrator's mother hires.
(b) His paternal aunt.
(c) A girl with whom Friedrich falls in love.
(d) His mother's only sibling.
8. What does Herr Schneider start to say?
(a) "You were right, Herr..."
(b) "Go to..."
(c) "You bas..."
(d) "You are going to burn..."
9. What does Dr. Levy place beside Frau Schneider's body?
(a) A copy of the torah.
(b) A marzuka.
(c) A lit candle.
(d) A cross.
10. What does Solomon do?
(a) Kills the soldiers.
(b) Starves to death.
(c) Kills himself.
(d) Goes to another land.
11. What does Schloime ask of God?
(a) Why God has forsaken him.
(b) Why God loves others but not the Jews.
(c) Why God can not crush his enemies.
(d) Why the Jews cannot find peace.
12. Why does Herr Schneider bring Dr. Levy to the narrator's apartment?
(a) To introduce him to their friends.
(b) To ask for asylum.
(c) To help the narrator who broke his finger.
(d) To sterilize his last syringe.
13. What indications are there that the air raid siren is not a false alarm?
(a) The apartment building is shaking.
(b) Anti-aircraft guns thunder; searchlights sway across the sky, planes hum, and shrapnel falls.
(c) A piece of tree limb flies into the window.
(d) A policeman with a bullhorn is yelling to the residents.
14. Why does Herr Schneider knock on the narrator's door late at night?
(a) To ask for the family to stay there.
(b) To upbraid the narrator.
(c) To ask that Friedrich be adopted by them.
(d) To borrow a lamp.
15. What does Schuster do?
(a) He flees Germany for France.
(b) He raises the rent.
(c) He assaults the narrator's father.
(d) He pushes the boys unmercifully as their physical education teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Friedrich lost?
2. Who is Herr Schuster?
3. Where does the narrator find Frau Schneider?
4. What does the narrator's father advise Friedrich to do?
5. Where is Friedrich?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)