|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does the narrator's father pay?
(b) The exit tax.
(c) The ride home.
(d) Licorice and a group photograph.
2. What does the store owner call Friedrich?
(b) A bad catcher.
(c) "Good-for-nothing Jewboy."
(d) A rotten Jungvolk.
3. What has the narrator's father encouraged him to do?
(a) Abandon his friendship with Friedrich.
(b) Quit the Jungvolk.
(c) Stay in the Jungvolk and do his duty.
(d) Remain Friedrich's friend.
4. Who lives above the narrator's family?
(a) Two elderly sisters.
(b) The landlord.
(c) The reclusive Schneiders.
(d) A elderly bachelor.
5. How does the narrator explain the bumping noise above?
(a) By pretending he does not hear the noise.
(b) Saying they are rats in the walls.
(c) By running upstairs to tell them to be quiet.
(d) By saying it is Friedrich.
6. About what do the children tease Mr. Rosenthal?
(a) About his yarmulka.
(b) About the color of his eyes.
(c) About looking like a goat.
7. What do the narrator and Friedrich think about the landlord's demand?
(a) They do not understand.
(b) They think he is wise.
(c) They think moving to the basement will be exciting.
(d) They think he is being unreasonable.
8. What has left Mr. Schneider?
9. Why did Jews flee to Poland and Russia?
(a) Because there was lots of opportunity there.
(b) Because they didn't know where else to go.
(c) To avoid death at the hands of the crusaders.
(d) Because they had a freedom of religion act.
10. What do parents traditionally do on the first day of school?
(a) Have a celebration.
(b) Have a barbeque.
(c) Dress their children in lederhosen.
(d) Go to the movies.
11. What does the narrator do with his candy?
(a) Starts to share, but his mother motions him to wait.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Throws in down the trash chute because he's angry.
(d) Shares with everyone.
12. What is in the narrator's first-day candy bag?
(b) A jawbreaker.
(c) Some confections.
(d) Three lollipops.
13. What does the narrator's father do?
(a) Supports the landlord.
(b) Calls his lawyer.
(c) Refuses to be a witness.
(d) Offers to help the Schneiders move to the basement.
14. Where does the narrator take Friedrich?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To club night at the Jungvolk.
(c) To his soccer game.
(d) To the amusement park.
15. What does the officer tell the narrator?
(a) To go home and be quiet.
(b) To pay the shop owner.
(c) To stick up for Friedrich.
(d) He is too young to understand how sneaky and dishonest the Jews are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Schneider explain about the mezuzah?
2. What happens when the narrator's mother is ready?
3. Why are the narrator's parents uncomfortable at the amusement park?
4. What sign is one man carrying outside Mr. Rosenthal's shop?
5. Why does the Nazi demand that Friedrich and the narrator leave?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)