|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Friedrich win over the narrator?
(a) A toy tank.
(b) A cuckoo whistle.
(c) A doll with real hair.
(d) His winsome grin.
2. Why did Jews flee to Poland and Russia?
(a) Because they didn't know where else to go.
(b) Because there was lots of opportunity there.
(c) To avoid death at the hands of the crusaders.
(d) Because they had a freedom of religion act.
3. What does Friedrich tie around his neck?
(a) A noose.
(b) A black bandana.
(d) A yellow scarf.
4. What does the store owner call Friedrich?
(a) A rotten Jungvolk.
(b) A bad catcher.
(c) "Good-for-nothing Jewboy."
5. What is Germany full of at the moment?
(a) Unemployment and hardship.
(b) Working towards peace.
(c) Spiritual awakenings.
(d) Unlimited opportunities.
6. What does Friedrich's father ask him?
(a) If he broke the window intentionally.
(b) If he is sorry for the window.
(c) If the narrator was the one who broke the window.
(d) If Friedrich will work off the debt for the window.
7. For what do many Christians still not forgive the Jews (in that time period)?
(a) For crucifying Jesus.
(b) For being successful.
(c) Because they are usually wealthy.
(d) For wearing strange caps.
8. Where does Mrs. Schneider go to sob loudly?
(a) To the synagogue.
(b) To the narrator's apartment.
(c) To the police station.
(d) To see Mr. Rosenthal.
9. When is the narrator born?
(a) One week before Friedrich.
(b) On the same day as Friedrich.
(c) One week before Friedrich.
(d) A year after Friedrich.
10. What does the narrator's father find after joining the Nazi party?
(a) A job.
(b) He is depressed by the hatred.
(c) He is confused by the ideology.
(d) He has been deceived.
11. What has Resch been for a year?
(a) A landlord of other buildings besides the one where the Schneiders live.
(b) A Nazi.
(c) Much more quiet than usual.
(d) Very ill.
12. Where do Friedrich and the narrator go in the department store?
(a) The toy floor.
(b) Friedrich's father's office.
(c) The boy's clothing to meet their mothers.
(d) The basement bargains.
13. Who does the judge suggest the Nazis may turn against next?
(a) Those of a different political party.
(b) The Poles.
(c) The Russians.
(d) Vegetarians and Catholics.
14. What does Mr. Schneider offer the shop keeper?
(a) A valuable piece of jewelry.
(c) Money to fix the window.
(d) Help with organizing her shop.
15. What does Mrs. Schneider explain about the mezuzah?
(a) That it is a Celtic symbol of fertitlity.
(b) That it helps Jews remember God and his commandments.
(c) That it belongs to all humanity.
(d) That it is an ancient Greek symbol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches the narrator while his mother is working?
2. What does the narrator ask of Mr. Schneider?
3. What image strikes the narrator?
4. Who lives above the narrator's family?
5. What does the narrator watch as sundown approaches?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)