|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Smokey Lonesome live in a homeless shelter after being fired from his job?
2. How long has Evelyn been on her diet before the incident at the grocery store plummets her self-confidence?
3. How much time is Artis ordered to serve in prison for the attempted murder of the dogcatcher?
4. Which of the following substances does Wilbur get stuck in his hair while working?
5. What song does Grady Kilgore sing at the Dill Pickle Club's show in Troutsville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her life, Idgie has been known to tell wild, exaggerated stories. Choose at least two of Idgie's wild stories and describe them. In each of these two situations, what did Idgie get in return for telling her crazy stories? What insight do these wild stories give the reader in regards to Idgie's character? What motivation might she have to exaggerate?
Essay Topic 2
Trains are an important lifeblood in the survival of the small town of Whistle Stop. First, explain why trains are so important to the survival of the town. Then, choose at least two scenes from the novel that involve trains and explain how these scenes help characterize the town of Whistle Stop. Finally, explain what happened to the town of Whistle Stop when the trains slowed, citing specific examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Evelyn struggles with many levels of inequality. In the end, she decides that she wishes she was a black man. First, explain why Evelyn wishes she was a man, not a woman, and give at least one example from the novel of a time when men had things better than Evelyn. Then, explain why Evelyn wishes she was black, not white, and give at least one example from the novel of a time when blacks had things better off than Evelyn.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)