|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters believes birds can listen to telephone conversations through the wires?
2. How do the young girls in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot insult Evelyn?
3. Which of the following buildings has NOT closed in Whistle Stop by the year 1956?
4. Who promises to avenge the death of Willy Boy Peavy?
5. What is the name of the black nurse who smokes cigarettes in Ninny's bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two major train accidents at various points in the novel. Describe the first train accident in which Buddy is the victim. Then, compare and contrast that to the second train accident when Buddy Jr. was the victim. How do the responses from the townsfolk vary during the two accidents? What is the parallel between these two men's lives through their similar accidents?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Idgie felt Buddy was the most important person in her life. Describe the character of Buddy Threadgoode. Why were he and Idgie so close as children? What traumatic event eventually split Buddy and Idgie up? How did Idgie react to this event? In what ways does she keep Buddy with her throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
When she is a teenager, Ruth leaves Idgie to marry Frank Bennett. First, describe Frank Bennett and explain why Ruth might want to marry him. Then, explain how Idgie reacted to the news of Ruth's engagement. What information does Idgie gather about Frank Bennett? How did this information permanently affect the relationship between the two women?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)