|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
2. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
3. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
4. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
5. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
2. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
3. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
4. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
5. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
6. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
7. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
8. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
9. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
10. Who is Mr. Covey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The slave masters tears down and strips the slaves of their personalities. How is this process accomplished by the slave masters? Is this an effective method of controlling the slaves? Why or Why not?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)