|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
2. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
3. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
4. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
5. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
2. How does Douglass learn to read?
3. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
4. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
5. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
6. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
7. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
8. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
9. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
10. Who is Mr. Covey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the women in Douglass's life, both well known and not so well known. Choose three or more women that Douglass knows and discuss how these women teach Douglass anything either through demonstration or first-hand experience. Also, explain any effects, if any, they have on him.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass has had multiple masters throughout his life as a slave. Give examples of three of his masters and explain the effects they have on Douglass. Which master had the greatest effect on Douglas, and was that effect positive or negative?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)