|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
2. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
3. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
4. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
5. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
2. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
3. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
4. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
5. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
6. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
7. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
8. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
9. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
10. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass uses symbolism throughout his book. Define symbolism and discuss three examples of its use by Douglass.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)