|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
2. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
3. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
4. What does Douglass's master teach him?
5. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
2. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
3. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
4. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
5. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
6. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
7. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
8. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
9. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
10. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the confrontation with Mr. Covey affect Douglass? Is this a turning point in Douglass's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass refers to his faith throughout the book. On the other hand, he criticizes the slaveholders for their meanness in relation to their own faith. Discuss the irony in these situations and how Douglass manages to keep his faith despite the circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and give examples of how Douglass learns to read and write. Explain how his learning to read and write affects him both in a good as well as a bad way. Were there any other skills that Douglass learned that both helped and hindered him?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)