|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
2. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
3. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
4. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
5. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
2. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
3. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
4. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
5. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
6. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
7. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
8. Who is Mr. Covey?
9. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
10. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After escaping to freedom, Douglass becomes an anti-slavery speaker and writes a book on his life as a slave. Is Douglass exploiting his life as a slave for profit? Are the other abolitionists who encourage Douglass also exploiting him for their own purposes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At various times throughout Douglass's life, he finds a way to continue to hope, which carries him on in his difficult life as a slave. Discuss three or more examples and the circumstances around these situations. Why is Hope so vital to Douglass and other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)