|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
2. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
3. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
4. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
5. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
2. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
3. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
4. Who is Mr. Covey?
5. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
6. How does Douglass learn to read?
7. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
8. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
9. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
10. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what an abolitionist is to Douglass. Describe giving examples of the risks abolitionists face and their possible reasons for doing so. Why does Douglass want to risk his new-found freedom to help with the anti-slavery movement?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the women in Douglass's life, both well known and not so well known. Choose three or more women that Douglass knows and discuss how these women teach Douglass anything either through demonstration or first-hand experience. Also, explain any effects, if any, they have on him.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)