|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
2. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
3. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
4. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
5. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
2. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
3. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
4. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
5. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
6. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
9. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
10. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the women in Douglass's life, both well known and not so well known. Choose three or more women that Douglass knows and discuss how these women teach Douglass anything either through demonstration or first-hand experience. Also, explain any effects, if any, they have on him.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Douglass's relationship to Mrs. Auld? Is there more to the relationship than Mrs. Auld teaching him the alphabet? What does she represent for Douglass?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)