|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
2. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
3. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
4. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
5. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
Essay Topic 1
Explain and give examples of how Douglass learns to read and write. Explain how his learning to read and write affects him both in a good as well as a bad way. Were there any other skills that Douglass learned that both helped and hindered him?
Essay Topic 2
The slave masters tears down and strips the slaves of their personalities. How is this process accomplished by the slave masters? Is this an effective method of controlling the slaves? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
After escaping to freedom, Douglass becomes an anti-slavery speaker and writes a book on his life as a slave. Is Douglass exploiting his life as a slave for profit? Are the other abolitionists who encourage Douglass also exploiting him for their own purposes? Why or why not?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)