|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
2. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
3. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
4. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
5. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
2. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
3. Who is Mr. Covey?
4. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
5. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
6. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
7. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
8. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
9. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
10. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass discusses some of his family as well as his masters. What sorts of things does Douglass learn from observing both his family as well as his masters over the years? Does each 'family' teach him different things, or do they have some of the same lessons?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)