|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
2. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
3. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
4. What does "abolitionist" mean?
5. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
2. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
3. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
6. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
7. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
8. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
9. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
10. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass wants to escape, but at various points in his story gets discouraged. Discuss three examples of when Douglass gets discouraged. Why does Douglass get discouraged? If the examples given did not occur, would Douglass have gotten to freedom more quickly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass refers to his faith throughout the book. On the other hand, he criticizes the slaveholders for their meanness in relation to their own faith. Discuss the irony in these situations and how Douglass manages to keep his faith despite the circumstances.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)