|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
2. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
3. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
4. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
5. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
2. Who is Mr. Covey?
3. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
4. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
5. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
6. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
7. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
8. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
9. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
10. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the women in Douglass's life, both well known and not so well known. Choose three or more women that Douglass knows and discuss how these women teach Douglass anything either through demonstration or first-hand experience. Also, explain any effects, if any, they have on him.
Essay Topic 2
How does the confrontation with Mr. Covey affect Douglass? Is this a turning point in Douglass's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Every decision made determines the direction our life goes from that point forward. What are three examples of pivotal decisions Douglass makes throughout the narrative that greatly affect how his life turns out? Also, explain Douglass's reasoning for each of his decisions. Did they turn out the way he expected them to?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)