|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
2. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
3. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
4. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
5. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
2. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
3. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
4. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
5. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
6. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
7. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
8. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
9. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
10. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass uses symbolism throughout his book. Define symbolism and discuss three examples of its use by Douglass.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass refers to his faith throughout the book. On the other hand, he criticizes the slaveholders for their meanness in relation to their own faith. Discuss the irony in these situations and how Douglass manages to keep his faith despite the circumstances.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)