|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
2. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
3. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
4. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
5. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
2. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
3. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
6. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
7. Who is Mr. Covey?
8. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
9. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
10. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass refers to his faith throughout the book. On the other hand, he criticizes the slaveholders for their meanness in relation to their own faith. Discuss the irony in these situations and how Douglass manages to keep his faith despite the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)