|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
2. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
3. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
4. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
5. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
Essay Topic 1
Douglass discusses some of his family as well as his masters. What sorts of things does Douglass learn from observing both his family as well as his masters over the years? Does each 'family' teach him different things, or do they have some of the same lessons?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass uses irony throughout his book. Define irony and then discuss three examples of irony that Douglass uses. Why does Douglass use irony in describing his experiences as a slave?
Essay Topic 3
Every decision made determines the direction our life goes from that point forward. What are three examples of pivotal decisions Douglass makes throughout the narrative that greatly affect how his life turns out? Also, explain Douglass's reasoning for each of his decisions. Did they turn out the way he expected them to?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)