|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
2. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
3. What does Douglass's master teach him?
4. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
5. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
2. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
3. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
4. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
5. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
6. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
7. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
8. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
9. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
10. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Douglass's relationship to Mrs. Auld? Is there more to the relationship than Mrs. Auld teaching him the alphabet? What does she represent for Douglass?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass uses symbolism throughout his book. Define symbolism and discuss three examples of its use by Douglass.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)