|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
2. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
3. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
4. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
5. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglass learn to read?
2. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
3. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
4. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
5. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
6. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
7. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
8. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
9. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
10. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what an abolitionist is to Douglass. Describe giving examples of the risks abolitionists face and their possible reasons for doing so. Why does Douglass want to risk his new-found freedom to help with the anti-slavery movement?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)