|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
2. Who are the Thomases?
3. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
4. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
5. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
2. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
3. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
4. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
5. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
6. How does Douglass learn to read?
7. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
8. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
9. Who is Mr. Covey?
10. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the women in Douglass's life, both well known and not so well known. Choose three or more women that Douglass knows and discuss how these women teach Douglass anything either through demonstration or first-hand experience. Also, explain any effects, if any, they have on him.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and give examples of how Douglass learns to read and write. Explain how his learning to read and write affects him both in a good as well as a bad way. Were there any other skills that Douglass learned that both helped and hindered him?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)