|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
2. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
3. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
4. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
5. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
2. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
3. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
4. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
5. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
6. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
7. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
8. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
9. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
10. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)