|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
2. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
3. Who are the Thomases?
4. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
5. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
2. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
3. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
4. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
5. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
6. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
7. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
8. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
9. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
10. Who is Mr. Covey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The slave masters tears down and strips the slaves of their personalities. How is this process accomplished by the slave masters? Is this an effective method of controlling the slaves? Why or Why not?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)