|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
2. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
3. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
4. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
5. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every decision made determines the direction our life goes from that point forward. What are three examples of pivotal decisions Douglass makes throughout the narrative that greatly affect how his life turns out? Also, explain Douglass's reasoning for each of his decisions. Did they turn out the way he expected them to?
Essay Topic 2
Explain and give examples of how Douglass learns to read and write. Explain how his learning to read and write affects him both in a good as well as a bad way. Were there any other skills that Douglass learned that both helped and hindered him?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass uses irony throughout his book. Define irony and then discuss three examples of irony that Douglass uses. Why does Douglass use irony in describing his experiences as a slave?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)