|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
2. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
3. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
4. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
5. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Great House Farm.
2. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
3. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
4. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
5. Who is Austin Gore?
6. Who is Wendell Phillips?
7. In the Preface, how does Garrison describe Douglass?
8. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
9. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
10. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Douglass's relationship to Mrs. Auld? Is there more to the relationship than Mrs. Auld teaching him the alphabet? What does she represent for Douglass?
Essay Topic 2
Define what an abolitionist is to Douglass. Describe giving examples of the risks abolitionists face and their possible reasons for doing so. Why does Douglass want to risk his new-found freedom to help with the anti-slavery movement?
Essay Topic 3
Every decision made determines the direction our life goes from that point forward. What are three examples of pivotal decisions Douglass makes throughout the narrative that greatly affect how his life turns out? Also, explain Douglass's reasoning for each of his decisions. Did they turn out the way he expected them to?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)