|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
2. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
3. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
4. What is the competition among the slaves?
5. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
2. What common practice upsets Douglass?
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
5. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
6. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
7. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
8. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
9. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
10. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every decision made determines the direction our life goes from that point forward. What are three examples of pivotal decisions Douglass makes throughout the narrative that greatly affect how his life turns out? Also, explain Douglass's reasoning for each of his decisions. Did they turn out the way he expected them to?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses some of his family as well as his masters. What sorts of things does Douglass learn from observing both his family as well as his masters over the years? Does each 'family' teach him different things, or do they have some of the same lessons?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass has had multiple masters throughout his life as a slave. Give examples of three of his masters and explain the effects they have on Douglass. Which master had the greatest effect on Douglas, and was that effect positive or negative?
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)