Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
2. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
5. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
2. What does Douglass say about New Bedford?
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
Essay Topic 1
Explain and give examples of how Douglass learns to read and write. Explain how his learning to read and write affects him both in a good as well as a bad way. Were there any other skills that Douglass learned that both helped and hindered him?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Douglass's relationship to Mrs. Auld? Is there more to the relationship than Mrs. Auld teaching him the alphabet? What does she represent for Douglass?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)