Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
2. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
5. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
2. What does Douglass say about New Bedford?
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
Essay Topic 1
Douglass uses irony throughout his book. Define irony and then discuss three examples of irony that Douglass uses. Why does Douglass use irony in describing his experiences as a slave?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass refers to his faith throughout the book. On the other hand, he criticizes the slaveholders for their meanness in relation to their own faith. Discuss the irony in these situations and how Douglass manages to keep his faith despite the circumstances.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)