|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
2. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
3. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
4. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
5. Who does Phillips compare Douglass to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
2. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
3. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
4. Who is Austin Gore?
5. What is the situation surrounding Demby's death?
6. Who is Wendell Phillips?
7. What does Phillips compare slaves to?
8. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
9. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
10. What information does Douglass know about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slave masters tears down and strips the slaves of their personalities. How is this process accomplished by the slave masters? Is this an effective method of controlling the slaves? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define what an abolitionist is to Douglass. Describe giving examples of the risks abolitionists face and their possible reasons for doing so. Why does Douglass want to risk his new-found freedom to help with the anti-slavery movement?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass uses symbolism throughout his book. Define symbolism and discuss three examples of its use by Douglass.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)