|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
2. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
3. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
4. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
5. How does Garrison describe Douglass's nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
2. Describe the Great House Farm.
3. In the Preface, how does Garrison describe Douglass?
4. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
5. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
6. What common practice upsets Douglass?
7. What is the West Indies Experiment?
8. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
9. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
10. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the women in Douglass's life, both well known and not so well known. Choose three or more women that Douglass knows and discuss how these women teach Douglass anything either through demonstration or first-hand experience. Also, explain any effects, if any, they have on him.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)