|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
2. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
3. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
5. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
2. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
3. What information does Douglass know about himself?
4. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
5. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
6. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
7. What is the West Indies Experiment?
8. Why does Garrison make Douglass seem to be so important to the abolitionist movement?
9. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
10. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass discusses some of his family as well as his masters. What sorts of things does Douglass learn from observing both his family as well as his masters over the years? Does each 'family' teach him different things, or do they have some of the same lessons?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)