|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
2. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
3. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
4. Why does Douglas think Mr. Hopkins is replaced?
5. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Douglass know about himself?
2. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
3. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
4. What does Phillips compare slaves to?
5. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
6. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
7. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
8. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
9. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
10. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass uses irony throughout his book. Define irony and then discuss three examples of irony that Douglass uses. Why does Douglass use irony in describing his experiences as a slave?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)