|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
2. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
3. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
4. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
5. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
2. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age?
3. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
4. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
5. In the Preface, how does Garrison describe Douglass?
6. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
7. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
8. Who is Austin Gore?
9. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
10. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass uses symbolism throughout his book. Define symbolism and discuss three examples of its use by Douglass.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and give examples of how Douglass learns to read and write. Explain how his learning to read and write affects him both in a good as well as a bad way. Were there any other skills that Douglass learned that both helped and hindered him?
Essay Topic 3
The slave masters tears down and strips the slaves of their personalities. How is this process accomplished by the slave masters? Is this an effective method of controlling the slaves? Why or Why not?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)