Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
2. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
5. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
2. What does Douglass say about New Bedford?
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
Every decision made determines the direction our life goes from that point forward. What are three examples of pivotal decisions Douglass makes throughout the narrative that greatly affect how his life turns out? Also, explain Douglass's reasoning for each of his decisions. Did they turn out the way he expected them to?
Define what an abolitionist is to Douglass. Describe giving examples of the risks abolitionists face and their possible reasons for doing so. Why does Douglass want to risk his new-found freedom to help with the anti-slavery movement?
What is the significance of Douglass's relationship to Mrs. Auld? Is there more to the relationship than Mrs. Auld teaching him the alphabet? What does she represent for Douglass?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)