|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
2. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
3. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
4. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
5. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
2. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
3. What common practice upsets Douglass?
4. What is the West Indies Experiment?
5. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
6. What information does Douglass know about himself?
7. Who is Wendell Phillips?
8. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
9. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
10. What is the situation surrounding Demby's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass discusses some of his family as well as his masters. What sorts of things does Douglass learn from observing both his family as well as his masters over the years? Does each 'family' teach him different things, or do they have some of the same lessons?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)