|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Douglas think Mr. Hopkins is replaced?
2. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
3. What type of style does the First Preface take on?
4. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
5. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Great House Farm.
2. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
3. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
4. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
5. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
6. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
7. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
8. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
9. What common practice upsets Douglass?
10. Who is Austin Gore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The slave masters tears down and strips the slaves of their personalities. How is this process accomplished by the slave masters? Is this an effective method of controlling the slaves? Why or Why not?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)