|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
2. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
3. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
4. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
5. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
2. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
3. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
4. Describe the Great House Farm.
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. What is the situation surrounding Demby's death?
7. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
8. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
9. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
10. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass describes situations, such as not wanting to put details about his escape route into his story for fear of other slaves not getting a chance to escape, that give the reader an idea about the type of person he is. Write about whom Douglass is and the type of character he has. Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Douglass's relationship to Mrs. Auld? Is there more to the relationship than Mrs. Auld teaching him the alphabet? What does she represent for Douglass?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass wants to escape, but at various points in his story gets discouraged. Discuss three examples of when Douglass gets discouraged. Why does Douglass get discouraged? If the examples given did not occur, would Douglass have gotten to freedom more quickly? Why or why not?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)