|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
2. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
3. Who writes the first preface of the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave?
4. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
5. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Garrison make Douglass seem to be so important to the abolitionist movement?
2. Describe the Great House Farm.
3. What is the situation surrounding Demby's death?
4. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
5. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
6. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
7. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
8. Who is Austin Gore?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. What common practice upsets Douglass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass has had multiple masters throughout his life as a slave. Give examples of three of his masters and explain the effects they have on Douglass. Which master had the greatest effect on Douglas, and was that effect positive or negative?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass makes it clear that he thinks slaveholders use their faith as a means to justify slavery. Give three examples and explain the circumstances surrounding how slaveholders justify slavery with their faith.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass discusses situations in which slaves try to give respect and win favor with their masters. Give examples and explain why the slaves do this considering the way they are treated. Did Douglass ever participate in this? Why or why not?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)