|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
2. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
3. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
4. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
5. How many slaves are at the main farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
2. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
3. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
4. Describe the Great House Farm.
5. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
6. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
7. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
8. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
9. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age?
10. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglass uses multiple themes that run through either part of or the whole book. An example of this is the hunger that he experiences. Choose one or more of the themes that Douglass uses and write about them.
Essay Topic 2
Douglass wants to escape, but at various points in his story gets discouraged. Discuss three examples of when Douglass gets discouraged. Why does Douglass get discouraged? If the examples given did not occur, would Douglass have gotten to freedom more quickly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Douglass discusses some of his family as well as his masters. What sorts of things does Douglass learn from observing both his family as well as his masters over the years? Does each 'family' teach him different things, or do they have some of the same lessons?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)