|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
2. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
5. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
2. What does Douglass say about New Bedford?
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
Essay Topic 1
How does the confrontation with Mr. Covey affect Douglass? Is this a turning point in Douglass's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Douglass discusses multiple people who have an effect in his life. Write about two or more of these people, explaining why they are important to Douglass and how they affected his life.
Essay Topic 3
Douglass wants to escape, but at various points in his story gets discouraged. Discuss three examples of when Douglass gets discouraged. Why does Douglass get discouraged? If the examples given did not occur, would Douglass have gotten to freedom more quickly? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)