|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(c) Table scraps.
2. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He beats Douglass.
(c) He's a coward.
(d) He's nice.
3. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until two in the morning.
(b) Until midnight.
(c) Until ten.
(d) Until one in the morning.
4. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
(a) Mr. Leonard.
(b) Mr. Johnson.
(c) Mr. Carry.
(d) Mr. Covey.
5. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
2. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
3. What does Douglass's master teach him?
4. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
5. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
2. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
3. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
4. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
5. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
6. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
7. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
8. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
9. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
10. Who is Mr. Covey?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)