|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(c) Not very often.
(d) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
2. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A stick to write in the dirt.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A book.
3. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
(b) He is sold to a new master.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
4. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(b) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(c) They trade him for a horse.
(d) They take all his books away.
5. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She is freed.
(b) She continues to care for her master.
(c) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(d) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
2. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
3. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
4. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
5. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
2. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
3. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
4. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
5. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
6. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
7. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
8. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
9. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
10. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)