|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
(a) How he begins going to school.
(b) How he befriends a white child.
(c) How he continues to learn to read and write.
(d) When he moves to another plantation.
2. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A stick to write in the dirt.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A book.
3. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A Methodist camp meeting.
(b) A Baptist camp meeting.
(c) A slaveholders meeting.
(d) A community meeting.
4. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mr. Auld.
(b) Mr. Anthony.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd .
5. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
(c) Not very often.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Thomases?
2. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
3. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
4. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
5. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
2. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
3. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
4. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
5. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
6. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
7. How does Douglass learn to read?
8. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
9. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
10. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)