|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(b) Slaves need guidance to survive.
(c) The need for workers.
2. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Learning is hard.
(b) Education will help him earn money.
(c) Slaves are smart.
(d) Education will lead to his freedom.
3. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
(a) Give them more food if they continue working.
(b) Beat them if they stop working.
(c) Sneak up on them.
(d) Let them sleep longer if they work more.
4. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Learning to read.
(c) Learning to write.
(d) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
5. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(b) Lloyd .
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
2. What does "abolitionist" mean?
3. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
4. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
5. Who is Whittier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
2. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
3. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
6. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
7. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
8. Who is Mr. Covey?
9. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
10. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)