|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He flushes out the birds.
(b) He does bird calls.
(c) He retrieves the birds.
(d) He chases squirrels up trees.
2. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have more food.
(b) To have the chance to run away.
(c) To be beaten less.
(d) To have more time to read.
3. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
(a) He catches her with another slave and is jealous.
(b) She is disabled from a fire.
(c) She is too young to do any work.
(d) She is his half sister.
4. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) To learn to read.
(b) To learn to write.
(c) To help his grandmother.
(d) To be free.
5. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mr. Anthony.
(b) Mr. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd .
(d) Mrs. Auld.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
2. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
3. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
4. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
5. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
2. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
3. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
4. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
5. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
6. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
7. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
8. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
9. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
10. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)