|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
(a) Extreme beatings.
(b) Extreme hunger.
(c) Less work and more time to play.
(d) More freedom.
2. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) How slaves are traded.
(b) Relationships of slaves.
(c) How he is treated as a slave.
(d) How slaves are punished.
3. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(b) A piece of candy.
4. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) Life of an educated slave.
(b) How slavery will change in the future.
(c) Slavery covering both positions.
(d) Life of an educated white man.
5. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(a) Farm animals .
(d) House pets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
2. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
3. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
4. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
5. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
2. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
3. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
4. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
5. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
6. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
9. Who is Mr. Covey?
10. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)