|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(b) They take all his books away.
(c) They trade him for a horse.
(d) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
2. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A book.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A stick to write in the dirt.
(d) A piece of paper.
3. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
(a) Mr. Covey.
(b) Mr. Freeland .
(c) Master Hugh.
(d) Captain Auld.
4. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is moved to Baltimore.
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(d) He has to go work in the fields.
5. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
(a) He catches her with another slave and is jealous.
(b) She is too young to do any work.
(c) She is disabled from a fire.
(d) She is his half sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
2. Who is Whittier?
3. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
4. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
5. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)