|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(a) Read the Bible.
(b) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
(c) Beat the slaves.
2. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mr. Auld.
(d) Mr. Daniel.
3. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) Relationships of slaves.
(b) How he is treated as a slave.
(c) How slaves are punished.
(d) How slaves are traded.
4. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
(a) His new found knowledge about slavery.
(b) Missing his mother.
(c) Being beaten.
(d) Being starved.
5. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(b) He is moved to Baltimore.
(c) He has to go work in the fields.
(d) He is beaten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
2. What does Douglass's master teach him?
3. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
4. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
5. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
2. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
3. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
4. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
5. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
6. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
7. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
8. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
9. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
10. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)