|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Thomas.
(b) Master Lloyd.
(c) Master Garrison.
(d) Master Andrew.
2. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(a) A piece of candy.
3. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A stick to write in the dirt.
(b) A piece of paper.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A book.
4. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
(b) Town Mayors.
5. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(a) Quill and ink.
(c) Stick in the dirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
2. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
3. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
4. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
5. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
2. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
3. Who is Mr. Covey?
4. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
5. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
6. How does Douglass learn to read?
7. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
8. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
9. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
10. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)