|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mr. Daniel.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mr. Auld.
2. What does Douglass use of Master Thomas's to help him write?
(a) History book.
(b) Spelling book.
3. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(b) She continues to care for her master.
(c) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(d) She is freed.
4. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) White overseers who like him.
(d) White boys in the street.
5. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) How slaves are punished.
(b) How slaves are traded.
(c) Relationships of slaves.
(d) How he is treated as a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
2. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
3. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
4. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
5. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
2. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
3. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
4. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
5. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
6. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
7. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
8. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
9. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
10. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)