|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is beaten.
(b) He is moved to Baltimore.
(c) He has to go work in the fields.
(d) He is moved to St. Michael's.
2. Who are the Thomases?
(a) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(b) Southern slaveholders.
(c) City slaveholders.
(d) Slave family who is sold and separated.
3. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
(a) Master Andrew.
(b) Master Lloyd.
(c) Master Hugh.
(d) Master Thomas.
4. Who is Whittier?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A slaveholder.
(c) A poet.
(d) A doctor.
5. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(c) Lloyd .
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
2. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
3. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
4. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
5. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
2. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
3. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
4. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
5. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
6. Who is Mr. Covey?
7. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
8. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
9. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
10. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)