|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(b) A piece of candy.
2. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A community meeting.
(b) A Baptist camp meeting.
(c) A Methodist camp meeting.
(d) A slaveholders meeting.
3. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(a) Slaves need guidance to survive.
(d) The need for workers.
4. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
5. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(c) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
(d) He moves with her to North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
2. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
3. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
4. What does Douglass's master teach him?
5. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
2. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
3. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
6. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
7. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
8. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
9. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
10. Who is Mr. Covey?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)