|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(b) Farm animals .
(d) House pets.
2. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
(a) Read .
(d) Finish his allotted work.
3. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mr. Daniel.
(b) Mr. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
4. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Daniel.
(d) No one.
5. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) How slaves are traded.
(b) How slaves are punished.
(c) Relationships of slaves.
(d) How he is treated as a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass use of Master Thomas's to help him write?
2. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
3. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
4. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
5. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
2. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
5. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
6. Who is Mr. Covey?
7. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
8. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
9. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
10. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)