|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Whittier?
(a) A poet.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A slaveholder.
(d) A doctor.
2. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Learning is hard.
(b) Education will help him earn money.
(c) Slaves are smart.
(d) Education will lead to his freedom.
3. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
(a) Mr. Johnson.
(b) Mr. Leonard.
(c) Mr. Covey.
(d) Mr. Carry.
4. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) White overseers who like him.
(d) White boys in the street.
5. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He's nice.
(b) He's a coward.
(c) He beats Douglass.
(d) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
2. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
3. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
4. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
5. What does "abolitionist" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
2. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
3. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
4. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
5. Who is Mr. Covey?
6. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
7. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
8. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
9. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
10. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)