|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) Relationships of slaves.
(b) How he is treated as a slave.
(c) How slaves are traded.
(d) How slaves are punished.
2. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(a) Quill and ink.
(d) Stick in the dirt.
3. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
(a) Read .
(c) Finish his allotted work.
4. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She continues to care for her master.
(b) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(c) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(d) She is freed.
5. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(a) To a nearby farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
2. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
3. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
4. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
5. Who are the Thomases?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
2. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
3. How does Douglass learn to read?
4. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
5. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
6. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
7. Who is Mr. Covey?
8. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
9. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
10. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)