|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(d) Lloyd .
2. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
(a) He plays with the master's children.
(b) He is too young to work in the fields.
(c) He is liked by the master's wife.
(d) He works an extra hour a day.
3. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until midnight.
(b) Until two in the morning.
(c) Until one in the morning.
(d) Until ten.
4. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
(a) He gets in trouble .
(b) His first master dies and has no will.
(c) His first master wants him to go with his son.
(d) His first master is mad with his current owners.
5. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mr. Anthony.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd .
(c) Mr. Auld.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
2. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
3. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
4. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
5. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
2. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
3. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
4. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
5. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
6. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
7. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
8. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
9. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
10. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)