|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
(a) To care for his family and household chores.
(b) To trade her for a male slave to work in the fields.
(c) To breed with .
(d) To help care for the younger slaves.
2. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
(a) His new found knowledge about slavery.
(b) Being starved.
(c) Missing his mother.
(d) Being beaten.
3. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He beats Douglass.
(c) He's a coward.
(d) He's nice.
4. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Education will lead to his freedom.
(b) Education will help him earn money.
(c) Slaves are smart.
(d) Learning is hard.
5. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(c) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(d) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Thomases?
2. Who is Whittier?
3. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
4. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
5. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglass learn to read?
2. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
3. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
4. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
5. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
6. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
7. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
8. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
9. Who is Mr. Covey?
10. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)