|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
(a) To help care for the younger slaves.
(b) To trade her for a male slave to work in the fields.
(c) To breed with .
(d) To care for his family and household chores.
2. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Repairing the barn.
(b) A field worker.
(c) Taking care of barn animals.
(d) Caring for the slaveholder's family.
3. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He chases squirrels up trees.
(b) He retrieves the birds.
(c) He does bird calls.
(d) He flushes out the birds.
4. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look ahead, just not right at her.
(b) Look her in the eyes.
(c) Look away.
(d) Look at the floor.
5. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
(a) Earn his freedom.
(b) Learn to read.
(c) Learn to count money.
(d) Go to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
2. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
3. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
4. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
5. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
2. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
3. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
6. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
7. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
8. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
9. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
10. Who is Mr. Covey?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)