|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Damaging farm tools.
(b) Breaking a cart and gate.
(c) Speaking before being told to .
(d) Being disrespectful.
2. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
(a) Master Hugh.
(b) Mr. Covey.
(c) Captain Auld.
(d) Mr. Freeland .
3. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) How slavery will change in the future.
(b) Life of an educated slave.
(c) Life of an educated white man.
(d) Slavery covering both positions.
4. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(c) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(d) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
5. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(c) Lloyd .
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
2. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
3. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
4. Who is Whittier?
5. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
2. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
3. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
4. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
5. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
6. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
7. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
8. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
9. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
10. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)