|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
(a) He is an abolitionist.
(b) He became a slaveholder when he was older through marriage.
(c) He likes Douglass and treats him better than the other slaves.
(d) He wants to abide by his wife's wishes and treat the slaves well.
2. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
(a) To show that animals are not as smart as slaves.
(b) To retrieve it from his previous plantation so he could get some food.
(c) To be mean.
(d) To keep the horse from getting killed.
3. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) Master Garrison.
(b) No one.
(c) Master Daniel.
4. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Slaves are smart.
(b) Education will lead to his freedom.
(c) Education will help him earn money.
(d) Learning is hard.
5. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
(a) Read .
(d) Finish his allotted work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
2. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
3. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
4. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
5. What does Douglass use of Master Thomas's to help him write?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
2. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
3. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
4. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
5. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
6. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
7. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
8. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
9. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
10. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)