|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
(a) She is his half sister.
(b) She is disabled from a fire.
(c) She is too young to do any work.
(d) He catches her with another slave and is jealous.
2. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have more time to read.
(b) To have the chance to run away.
(c) To have more food.
(d) To be beaten less.
3. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
(a) Master Lloyd.
(b) Master Andrew.
(c) Master Thomas.
(d) Master Hugh.
4. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd .
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mr. Anthony.
(d) Mr. Auld.
5. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) He still has not tried to escape.
(b) That his first slaveholder doesn't put him in his will.
(c) He has to go work in the fields.
(d) That his grandmother is mistreated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
2. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
3. Who is Whittier?
4. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
5. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
2. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
3. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
4. Why is Douglass so captivated with Mrs. Auld?
5. How does Douglass learn to read?
6. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
7. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
8. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
9. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
10. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)