|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
2. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) Relationships of slaves.
(b) How slaves are traded.
(c) How slaves are punished.
(d) How he is treated as a slave.
3. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(a) A piece of candy.
4. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) A pass.
(b) A letter.
(c) A ticket.
(d) Some money.
5. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
(b) All the slaves.
(c) Other slave children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
2. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
3. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
4. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
5. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Douglass's life as a young slave like?
2. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
3. Who is Mr. Covey?
4. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
5. What is Douglass's life like while with Mr. Freeland?
6. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
7. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
8. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
9. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
10. What is Douglass's life like at first while working for Mr. Covey?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)