|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(d) Table scraps.
2. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mr. Auld.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd .
(d) Mr. Anthony.
3. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
(a) Master Lloyd.
(b) Master Thomas.
(c) Master Andrew.
(d) Master Hugh.
4. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(b) Read the Bible.
(c) Beat the slaves.
(d) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
5. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Ms. Daniel.
(c) Mrs. Anthony.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
2. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
3. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
4. Who are the Thomases?
5. What does "abolitionist" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglass learn to read?
2. What does Douglass washing in the river symbolize?
3. Why does Douglass begin to see his learning to read as a curse?
4. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
5. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
6. Who is Mr. Covey?
7. Give and explain an example of irony that Douglass uses in Chapter Six.
8. Why does Douglass say he sees more clearly the results of slavery?
9. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
10. Define abolitionist and the effect on Douglass of learning the word.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)