|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He gets food.
(b) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(c) He gets to sleep later the next day.
(d) He gets extra water.
2. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He has to go work in the fields.
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(d) He is moved to Baltimore.
3. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Being disrespectful.
(b) Damaging farm tools.
(c) Breaking a cart and gate.
(d) Speaking before being told to .
4. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have the chance to run away.
(b) To have more time to read.
(c) To have more food.
(d) To be beaten less.
5. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Education will help him earn money.
(b) Education will lead to his freedom.
(c) Learning is hard.
(d) Slaves are smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
2. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
3. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
4. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
5. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)