|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him in Chapter 1?
(a) The murder of innocent people.
(b) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(c) Slaves being removed from their families.
(d) Slaves being sold in cities.
2. Whose offices and printing presses were destroyed in the narrative of the second Preface?
(a) A teacher's.
(b) A lawyer's.
(c) A doctor's.
(d) A pastor's.
3. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
4. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owned?
(a) Lloyd Family Farm.
(b) Great House Farm.
(c) Lloyd Farm House.
(d) Farm House of Lloyd.
5. What was the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing in Chapter 2?
(a) Mr. Lloyd.
(b) Mr. Severe.
(c) Mr. Anthony.
(d) Mr. Hopkins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor in Chapter 1?
2. What was the main competition among the slaves, according to the author in Chapter 3?
3. What was the name of the overseer for the main farm house of Colonel Lloyd?
4. How many overseers were there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
5. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper did William Lloyd Garrison publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail what was given to the slaves by the slaveholder as their rations. When did they receive these rations?
2. Who was Wendell Phillips?
3. Why did Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
4. What was Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
5. What information does Douglass relate about himself in the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. Why did the slaves claim that their master was better than other slaves' masters?
7. How were Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
8. What was the punishment, if any, for killing a slave at this time in history?
9. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
10. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age in Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)