|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person moves away.
(b) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(c) The person goes to jail.
(d) The person is murdered.
2. How many slaves does Colonel Lloyd have in total?
(a) About thirteen hundred.
(b) About eight hundred.
(c) About two thousand.
(d) About one thousand.
3. Who writes the first preface of the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave?
(a) Daniel O'Connell.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) William Lloyd Garrison.
(d) William Smith.
4. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) The one who is yelled at the least.
(b) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
(c) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(d) Who has the most food left after a week.
5. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
(a) 100 issues.
(b) 500 issues.
(c) 15,000 issues.
(d) 1,800 issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
2. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
3. What best defines what mulatto means?
4. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
5. What does the slave master who replaced Mr. Hopkins want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
2. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
3. What information does Douglass know about himself?
4. Describe the Great House Farm.
5. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
6. Who is Austin Gore?
7. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
8. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
9. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
10. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)