|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does the author compare Douglass in the second Preface?
(b) Civil War Soldiers.
(c) The writers of the Constitution.
(d) Slave Masters.
2. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about in Chapter 1?
(a) A friend who was a slave as a child.
(b) His first master.
(c) His family.
(d) His first love.
3. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
(a) A slave master.
(b) A slave.
(c) An abolitionist.
(d) A Civil War soldier.
4. In what state was Frederick Douglass born?
5. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with what, in his Preface (x)?
(a) "A body ravaged by time."
(b) "High regard."
(c) "Little hope."
(d) "Commanding stature."
Short Answer Questions
1. What best defines what "mulatto" means?
2. How many house servants did Colonel Lloyd have?
3. What did the slave master who replaced Mr. Hopkins want to do?
4. What was Colonel Lloyd obsessed with, according to the narrative in Chapter 3?
5. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phillips compare slaves to in the second Preface?
2. What information does Douglass relate about himself in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What did the white children know that black slaves do not, according to Douglass's narrative in Chapter 1?
4. What was the punishment, if any, for killing a slave at this time in history?
5. How does Douglass describe the treatment of mulatto slaves in Chapter 1?
6. Give two examples of slaves who were murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter 4. Who killed them?
7. Who was Wendell Phillips?
8. What was the situation surrounding Demby's death?
9. How were Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
10. Who was Austin Gore? How is he described?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)