|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(a) Being a slave trainer.
(b) Being an anti-slavery orator.
(d) Being a slave master.
2. What does Colonel Lloyd own that takes five men to maintain?
(a) A large food storage building.
(b) A garden.
(c) A pool.
(d) A ship.
3. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Wendell Phillips.
(c) Daniel O'Connell.
(d) William Lloyd Garrison.
4. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
5. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
2. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
3. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
4. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
5. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the slaves claim that their master is better than other slaves' masters?
2. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
3. What is the West Indies Experiment?
4. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
5. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
6. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
7. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
8. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
9. In the Preface, how does Garrison describe Douglass?
10. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)