|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) His crops.
(b) The running of his farms.
(c) The care of his horses and carriage.
(d) His hunting dogs.
2. How many house servants does Colonel Lloyd have?
(a) Twenty or twenty five.
(b) Five or ten.
(c) Ten or fifteen .
(d) Eight or ten.
3. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) Who has the most food left after a week.
(b) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
(c) The one who is yelled at the least.
(d) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
4. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To know if the slaves try to escape.
(b) To keep the animals away.
(c) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
(d) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
5. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
(a) When he meets his first love.
(b) Two years of his childhood.
(c) His teenage years.
(d) His twenties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
2. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
3. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
4. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
5. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the West Indies Experiment?
2. Describe the Great House Farm.
3. Who is Wendell Phillips?
4. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
5. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
6. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
7. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
8. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
9. What information does Douglass know about himself?
10. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)