Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) His family.
(b) His first love.
(c) A friend who is a slave as a child.
(d) His first master.
2. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A journal.
(c) A letter.
(d) The Bible.
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The memory of slaves singing.
(b) The images of slaves being hung.
(c) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(d) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The cows and other farm animals.
(b) The garden.
(c) The carriages, horses, and stables.
(d) The pool.
5. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(b) Being a slave trainer.
(c) Being a slave master.
(d) Being an anti-slavery orator.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
2. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
3. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
4. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
5. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
2. What does Douglass say about New Bedford?
3. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
4. How does Douglass learn to read?
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
7. What is the difference between a slave in the country versus one in the city?
8. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)