|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
2. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) His Mom.
(c) Being beaten.
(d) His age.
3. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Not being loved.
(b) Lack of control.
(c) Loss of his identity.
(d) Feeling helpless.
4. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
5. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
2. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
3. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
5. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the slaves claim that their master is better than other slaves' masters?
2. Why does Garrison make Douglass seem to be so important to the abolitionist movement?
3. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
4. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
5. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
6. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
7. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
8. What common practice upsets Douglass?
9. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
10. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)