|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) A friend who is a slave as a child.
(b) His first love.
(c) His family.
(d) His first master.
2. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
(a) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(b) The images of slaves being hung.
(c) The emotional impact of the songs the slaves sing.
(d) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
3. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
(a) Colonel Edward Lloyd.
(b) Captain Jack.
(c) Captain O'Connel.
(d) Captain Anthony.
4. What is a teenage girl in Douglass's own family killed for?
(a) Talking to the masters children.
(b) Not properly cleaning the kitchen.
(c) Falling asleep while babysitting.
(d) Feeding the house animals too much.
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
(a) A person who is violent to slaves.
(b) An adulterous relationship between a master and a slave.
(c) A slave child.
(d) A person who has one white parent and one blank parent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
2. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
3. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
4. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
5. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Austin Gore?
2. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
3. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
4. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
5. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
6. What information does Douglass know about himself?
7. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
8. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
9. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
10. In the Preface, how does Garrison describe Douglass?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)