|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The pool.
(b) The carriages, horses, and stables.
(c) The cows and other farm animals.
(d) The garden.
2. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) His Mom.
(b) Not having enough food.
(c) His age.
(d) Being beaten.
3. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(b) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(c) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(d) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
4. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) William Lloyd Garrison.
(c) Wendell Phillips.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
5. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(b) Slave traders.
(c) Slaves being beaten .
(d) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
2. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
3. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
4. What does Colonel Lloyd do about one of his slaves getting killed?
5. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the West Indies Experiment?
2. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
3. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
4. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
5. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
6. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
7. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
8. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
9. Who is Austin Gore?
10. What information does Douglass know about himself?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)