|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 27 or 28 years old.
(b) 20 or 21 years old.
(c) 29 or 30 years old.
(d) 25 or 26 years old.
2. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
3. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
4. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His mother and her parents.
(b) His brother and sisters.
(c) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
(d) His aunts and uncles.
5. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Garrison's newspaper published?
2. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
3. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
4. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
5. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Great House Farm.
2. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
3. What does Thomas say is the worst thing Douglass does?
4. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
5. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
6. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
7. Describe a separation that Douglass goes through in Chapter Eight.
8. What is the point-of-view in Chapter Five?
9. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
10. Explain the hopefulness of Douglass in Chapter Five.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)