|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Phillips compare Douglass to?
(a) The writers of the Constitution.
(b) Civil War Soldiers.
(d) Slave Masters.
2. How many slaves are at the main farm?
(a) Three or four hundred.
(b) Four or five hundred.
(c) Ten or twenty.
(d) Thirty or forty.
3. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
(a) James McAlister.
(b) William L. Garrison.
(c) No one.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
4. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 20 or 21 years old.
(b) 25 or 26 years old.
(c) 27 or 28 years old.
(d) 29 or 30 years old.
5. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(b) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(c) Not telling him who his father is.
(d) For dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the second preface?
2. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
3. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
4. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
5. What event does Phillips predict?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
2. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
3. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
4. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
5. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
6. What is the situation surrounding Demby's death?
7. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
8. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
9. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
10. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)