|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
2. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As ruthless and violent.
(b) As scary.
(c) As mean and nasty.
(d) As hateful.
3. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(a) Slave traders.
(c) Slaves being beaten .
(d) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
4. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) His family.
(b) His first master.
(c) A friend who is a slave as a child.
(d) His first love.
5. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Garrison.
(b) Mr. Phillips.
(c) Mr. Grady.
(d) Mr. Plummer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
2. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
3. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
4. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
5. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phillips compare slaves to?
2. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
3. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
4. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
5. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
6. What information does Douglass know about himself?
7. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
8. Describe the Great House Farm.
9. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
10. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)