|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
(a) "Little hope."
(b) "High regard."
(c) "A body ravaged by time."
(d) "Commanding stature."
2. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) The care of his horses and carriage.
(b) His crops.
(c) The running of his farms.
(d) His hunting dogs.
3. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
(d) Uneducated people.
4. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(a) Slaves being beaten .
(b) Slave traders.
(d) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
5. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) There is only one overseer .
(b) There are two overseers for the farms.
(c) There is one overseer for each farm and one main overseer for all.
(d) There is one overseer for every three farms and one main overseer for all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the slaves say kind words about their masters?
2. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
3. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
4. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
5. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
2. Who is Wendell Phillips?
3. Describe the Great House Farm.
4. What does Phillips compare slaves to?
5. What information does Douglass know about himself?
6. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
7. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age?
8. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
9. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
10. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)