|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) Not telling him who his father is.
(b) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(c) For dying.
(d) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
2. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
(a) Miles River.
(b) Chippewa River.
(c) Maryland River.
(d) Mississippi River.
3. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(b) "A life not worth living."
(c) "Loses his soul."
(d) "No formal education."
4. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) At each of the farms.
(b) Great House Farm.
(c) Lloyd Farm House.
(d) Lloyd Family Farm.
5. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As mean and nasty.
(b) As hateful.
(c) As ruthless and violent.
(d) As scary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
2. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
3. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
4. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
5. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
2. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
3. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
4. Who is Wendell Phillips?
5. How is Garrison's Preface different than other prefaces?
6. Why does Garrison make Douglass seem to be so important to the abolitionist movement?
7. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
8. What does Douglass mention in particular about the slaves suffering?
9. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
10. Who is Austin Gore?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)