|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) Lloyd Farm House.
(b) At each of the farms.
(c) Great House Farm.
(d) Lloyd Family Farm.
2. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A Civil War soldier.
(c) A slaveholder.
(d) A lawyer.
3. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) The death of Douglass.
(b) His own death.
(c) The end of slavery the following year.
(d) The Civil War.
4. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
(a) His father is a lawyer.
(b) His father is a white man.
(c) His father is a Civil War soldier.
(d) His father is a slave trader.
5. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) A friend who is a slave as a child.
(b) His first love.
(c) His family.
(d) His first master.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
2. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
3. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
4. How many slaves are at the main farm?
5. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phillips compare slaves to?
2. Describe the Great House Farm.
3. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
4. Who is Wendell Phillips?
5. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
6. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
7. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
8. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
9. What common practice upsets Douglass?
10. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)