|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
2. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As scary.
(b) As hateful.
(c) As ruthless and violent.
(d) As mean and nasty.
3. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
(b) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(c) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
(d) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
4. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) At each of the farms.
(b) Lloyd Farm House.
(c) Great House Farm.
(d) Lloyd Family Farm.
5. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 35 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 25 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Garrison's newspaper published?
2. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
3. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
4. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
5. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
2. Why is Douglass so concerned about his age?
3. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
4. In the Preface, why does Mr. Garrison talk about a story that Daniel O'Connell has previously told?
5. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
6. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
7. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
8. Why is Douglass called back to his birth place?
9. What common practice upsets Douglass?
10. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)