|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As hateful.
(b) As ruthless and violent.
(c) As mean and nasty.
(d) As scary.
2. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The garden.
(b) The pool.
(c) The carriages, horses, and stables.
(d) The cows and other farm animals.
3. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A journal.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A letter.
4. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
5. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Garrison's newspaper published?
2. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
3. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
4. How many slaves are at the main farm?
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
2. In the Preface, how does Garrison describe Douglass?
3. What is the importance of the songs that slaves sing?
4. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
5. Who is Wendell Phillips?
6. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
7. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
8. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
9. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
10. What is the situation surrounding Demby's death?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)