|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many slaves are at the main farm?
(a) Thirty or forty.
(b) Three or four hundred.
(c) Four or five hundred.
(d) Ten or twenty.
2. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
(a) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(b) The emotional impact of the songs the slaves sing.
(c) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(d) The images of slaves being hung.
3. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) The one who is yelled at the least.
(b) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(c) Who has the most food left after a week.
(d) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
4. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
5. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
(a) The police investigate .
(b) The police put Phillips in jail.
(c) The police find the wrongdoers and punish them.
(d) The police do nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
2. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
3. What event does Phillips predict?
4. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
5. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation that causes Mr. Covey to fear Douglass?
2. What does Douglass experiences for the first time in Chapter Nine?
3. Describe the reason for Douglass wanting to learn to write and how he sets out to accomplish it.
4. What is Douglass's grandmother's situation in Chapter Eight?
5. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
6. Who is Austin Gore?
7. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
8. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
9. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
10. What is the situation that causes Douglass to go work for Mr. Walter Price?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)