Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person moves away.
(b) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(c) The person goes to jail.
(d) The person is murdered.
2. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) Wendell Phillips.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
3. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
(a) Mr. Gore.
(b) Mr. Severe.
(c) Mr. Anthony.
(d) Mr. Silas.
4. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
(b) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
(c) To keep the animals away.
(d) To know if the slaves try to escape.
5. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
(a) 100 issues.
(b) 1,800 issues.
(c) 500 issues.
(d) 15,000 issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of writing is the second preface?
2. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
3. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
4. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
5. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
2. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
3. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
4. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
5. Why does Douglass decide to learn to read?
6. Who is Mr. Covey?
7. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
8. Describe Master Thomas and explain why Douglass hopes he changes.
9. What is the West Indies Experiment?
10. Why does Phillips say he doesn't want to know Douglass's name or place of birth?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)