|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
(a) A teacher's.
(b) A doctor's.
(c) A lawyer's.
(d) A pastor's.
2. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) Great House Farm.
(b) Lloyd Farm House.
(c) Farm House of Lloyd.
(d) Lloyd Family Farm.
3. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
(a) He goes to jail for one night.
(c) He has to set two slaves free.
(d) He has to pay a fine.
4. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
(a) His teenage years.
(b) Two years of his childhood.
(c) His twenties.
(d) When he meets his first love.
5. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The cows and other farm animals.
(b) The pool.
(c) The garden.
(d) The carriages, horses, and stables.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
2. How many slaves are at the main farm?
3. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
4. What event does Phillips predict?
5. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Douglass know about himself?
2. Describe the Great House Farm.
3. What is the punishment, if any, for killing a slave?
4. What is the irony regarding the slaves wanting to work at the main farm?
5. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
6. What upsets Douglass about his mother's death?
7. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
8. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
9. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
10. What common practice upsets Douglass?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)