|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
(a) The police do nothing.
(b) The police put Phillips in jail.
(c) The police find the wrongdoers and punish them.
(d) The police investigate .
2. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
3. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Chesapeake Bay.
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Boston Harbor.
4. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 27 or 28 years old.
(b) 25 or 26 years old.
(c) 29 or 30 years old.
(d) 20 or 21 years old.
5. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
(a) To be the head slave.
(b) To get an additional blanket.
(c) To work at the main farm.
(d) To get extra food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of writing is the second preface?
2. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
3. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
4. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
5. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Douglass knowing the slave master's family's names?
2. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
3. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
4. Why does Phillips risk his life to be a part of the anti-slavery movement?
5. What information does Douglass know about himself?
6. What does Douglass point out about the adultery occurring between the masters and the female slaves?
7. Who is Wendell Phillips?
8. What common practice upsets Douglass?
9. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
10. Why does Garrison's Preface seem more like a religious sermon?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)