|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
(a) His father is a lawyer.
(b) His father is a slave trader.
(c) His father is a white man.
(d) His father is a Civil War soldier.
2. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 10 years.
3. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Boston Harbor.
(b) The Chesapeake Bay.
(c) Cape Cod.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
4. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
(a) The Slave Trader.
(b) The Liberator.
(c) New Englander.
(d) The Slave Master.
5. How many slaves does Colonel Lloyd have in total?
(a) About eight hundred.
(b) About two thousand.
(c) About thirteen hundred.
(d) About one thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
2. What type of writing is the second preface?
3. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
4. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
5. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Colonel Lloyd's horses and carriages cared for?
2. What is the West Indies Experiment?
3. What do the white children know that black slaves do not?
4. What does Philips say about Douglass and his life of slavery?
5. Give two examples of slaves who are murdered that Douglass mentions in Chapter Four.
6. What is Colonel Lloyd's garden like?
7. Who is William Lloyd Garrison?
8. How does Douglass compare slaves to animals?
9. Why do the slaves claim that their master is better than other slaves' masters?
10. Describe in detail what is given to the slaves by the slaveholder.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)