|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person is murdered.
(b) The person goes to jail.
(c) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(d) The person moves away.
2. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
3. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
4. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
5. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
(a) Two of the overseers.
(b) Three of the overseers.
(c) Most of the overseers.
(d) All of the overseers.
6. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
(a) Slave families attempt at staying together.
(b) His teenage years.
(c) The punishments slaves endure.
(d) The luxuries of slaveholders .
7. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(b) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(c) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(d) An experiment to make white people slaves.
8. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(b) Not telling him who his father is.
(c) For dying.
(d) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
9. How does Garrison describe Douglass's nature?
10. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
(a) Comical language.
(b) Direct language.
(c) Simple language.
(d) Complicated language.
11. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His mother and her parents.
(b) His mother and his aunt.
(c) His father and his uncle.
(d) His father and his parents.
12. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
13. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A slaveholder.
(c) A Civil War soldier.
(d) A doctor.
14. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
(a) James McAlister.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) No one.
(d) William L. Garrison.
15. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) Lloyd Farm House.
(b) Lloyd Family Farm.
(c) Great House Farm.
(d) At each of the farms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
2. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
3. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
4. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)