|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
(a) Two of the overseers.
(b) Most of the overseers.
(c) All of the overseers.
(d) Three of the overseers.
2. How many shirts does each working slave get for a year?
3. What does the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins expect from the slaves?
4. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
5. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
(a) He goes to jail for one night.
(c) He has to pay a fine.
(d) He has to set two slaves free.
6. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A Civil War soldier.
(b) A slaveholder.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
7. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
(a) Murdering slaves.
(b) Starving slaves.
(c) Overworking slaves.
(d) Beating slaves.
8. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
(a) William L. Garrison.
(b) James McAlister.
(c) Daniel O'Connell.
(d) No one.
9. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As ruthless and violent.
(b) As hateful.
(c) As mean and nasty.
(d) As scary.
10. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
11. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) The end of slavery the following year.
(b) His own death.
(c) The death of Douglass.
(d) The Civil War.
12. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
13. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Aunt Hester.
(b) Arlene Henry.
(c) Ann Jester.
(d) Jan Harris.
14. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
15. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(b) Not telling him who his father is.
(c) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(d) For dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
2. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
3. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
4. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
5. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)