|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(b) "Loses his soul."
(c) "A life not worth living."
(d) "No formal education."
2. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) Not telling him who his father is.
(b) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(c) For dying.
(d) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
3. Who is Frederick Douglass's first master?
(a) William Davenport.
(b) William Lloyd Garrison.
(c) Captain Anthony.
(d) James O'Conner.
4. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
(a) To get extra food.
(b) To be the head slave.
(c) To get an additional blanket.
(d) To work at the main farm.
5. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
6. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
(a) Captain Jack.
(b) Captain Anthony.
(c) Colonel Edward Lloyd.
(d) Captain O'Connel.
7. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
(a) A teacher's.
(b) A lawyer's.
(c) A pastor's.
(d) A doctor's.
8. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
(a) He is a publisher.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is a lawyer.
9. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
10. Who writes the first preface of the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave?
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) William Smith.
(c) Daniel O'Connell.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
11. What type of writing is the second preface?
(a) An essay.
(b) A short story.
(c) A poem.
(d) A letter.
12. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
(a) The slaveholders.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) The "down-trodden victims."
13. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
14. What type of style does the First Preface take on?
(b) A religious sermon.
15. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His mother and her parents.
(b) His mother and his aunt.
(c) His father and his parents.
(d) His father and his uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
2. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
3. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
4. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
5. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)