|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(b) The person is murdered.
(c) The person moves away.
(d) The person goes to jail.
2. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
(a) Direct language.
(b) Comical language.
(c) Complicated language.
(d) Simple language.
3. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
(a) Three of the overseers.
(b) All of the overseers.
(c) Two of the overseers.
(d) Most of the overseers.
4. What does the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins expect from the slaves?
5. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
(a) He thinks the supervisor is a good man.
(b) He thinks she is nice.
(c) She is young and pregnant.
(d) He lives at the far end of the farm and is sheltered from these occurrences.
6. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(b) Slaves being beaten .
(c) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(d) Slave traders.
7. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
8. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) Lloyd Farm House.
(b) Farm House of Lloyd.
(c) Great House Farm.
(d) Lloyd Family Farm.
9. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His brother and sisters.
(b) His aunts and uncles.
(c) His mother and her parents.
(d) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
10. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A Civil War soldier.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A slaveholder.
11. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 20 or 21 years old.
(b) 29 or 30 years old.
(c) 27 or 28 years old.
(d) 25 or 26 years old.
12. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
13. Who writes the second preface?
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Wendell Phillips.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
14. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
15. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
2. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
3. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
4. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
5. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)