|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
(a) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(b) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(c) The emotional impact of the songs the slaves sing.
(d) The images of slaves being hung.
2. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
(a) Captain O'Connel.
(b) Captain Jack.
(c) Captain Anthony.
(d) Colonel Edward Lloyd.
3. What best defines what mulatto means?
(a) An adulterous relationship between a master and a slave.
(b) A slave child.
(c) A person who is violent to slaves.
(d) A person who has one white parent and one blank parent.
4. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Two months.
(d) One week.
5. How many shirts does each working slave get for a year?
6. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
(b) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
(c) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(d) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
7. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
(a) His father is a lawyer.
(b) His father is a Civil War soldier.
(c) His father is a white man.
(d) His father is a slave trader.
8. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
(d) Uneducated people.
9. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
(a) She is disobedent.
(b) She runs away, but is later caught.
(c) She steals some food.
(d) She is found with a male slave and her master is jealous.
10. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
11. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
12. Why does Douglas think Mr. Hopkins is replaced?
(a) He is rude to Colonel Lloyd's children.
(b) He steals liquor.
(c) He is not severe enough as a master.
(d) He steals money.
13. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) At two years of age.
(b) Before turning three.
(c) Before turning five.
(d) Before turning one.
14. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
15. What does the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins expect from the slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
2. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
3. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
4. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
5. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)