|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
(a) He withholds food.
(b) He reduces their water supply.
(c) He trades them away.
(d) He beats them.
2. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
(a) The punishments slaves endure.
(b) The luxuries of slaveholders .
(c) His teenage years.
(d) Slave families attempt at staying together.
3. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) The care of his horses and carriage.
(b) His hunting dogs.
(c) His crops.
(d) The running of his farms.
4. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
(a) His brother and sister.
(b) His first master.
(c) His slave friend.
(d) His mother and her parents.
5. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
6. How many shirts does each working slave get for a year?
7. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
(a) Two of the overseers.
(b) All of the overseers.
(c) Three of the overseers.
(d) Most of the overseers.
8. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
(a) Daniel O'Connell.
(b) William Lloyd Garrison.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Wendell Phillips.
9. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Not being loved.
(b) Feeling helpless.
(c) Loss of his identity.
(d) Lack of control.
10. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) His Mom.
(b) Being beaten.
(c) Not having enough food.
(d) His age.
11. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
(a) He thinks she is nice.
(b) He lives at the far end of the farm and is sheltered from these occurrences.
(c) She is young and pregnant.
(d) He thinks the supervisor is a good man.
12. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A journal.
(b) The Bible.
(c) A letter.
(d) A newspaper.
13. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(b) Being a slave trainer.
(c) Being a slave master.
(d) Being an anti-slavery orator.
14. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
(a) Mr. Gore.
(b) Mr. Anthony.
(c) Mr. Silas.
(d) Mr. Severe.
15. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
(a) The Liberator.
(b) New Englander.
(c) The Slave Trader.
(d) The Slave Master.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
2. What does the slave master who replaced Mr. Hopkins want to do?
3. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
4. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
5. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)