Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) His family.
(b) His first love.
(c) A friend who is a slave as a child.
(d) His first master.
2. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A journal.
(c) A letter.
(d) The Bible.
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The memory of slaves singing.
(b) The images of slaves being hung.
(c) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(d) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
4. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The cows and other farm animals.
(b) The garden.
(c) The carriages, horses, and stables.
(d) The pool.
5. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(b) Being a slave trainer.
(c) Being a slave master.
(d) Being an anti-slavery orator.
6. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
(a) More than ten.
(b) More than twenty.
(d) More than thirty.
7. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
(a) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(b) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(c) The emotional impact of the songs the slaves sing.
(d) The images of slaves being hung.
8. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
(a) Comical language.
(b) Direct language.
(c) Simple language.
(d) Complicated language.
9. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(b) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(c) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(d) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
10. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A Civil War soldier.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A slaveholder.
11. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
(a) Daniel O'Connell.
(b) William L. Garrison.
(c) No one.
(d) James McAlister.
12. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To keep the animals away.
(b) To know if the slaves try to escape.
(c) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
(d) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
13. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
14. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) James McAlister.
(c) William Lloyd Garrison.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
15. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
(c) Uneducated people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Phillips compare Douglass to?
2. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
3. What event does Phillips predict?
4. How many shirts does each working slave get for a year?
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)