|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins expect from the slaves?
2. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Ann Jester.
(b) Arlene Henry.
(c) Jan Harris.
(d) Aunt Hester.
3. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) His family.
(b) A friend who is a slave as a child.
(c) His first master.
(d) His first love.
4. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
(b) His aunts and uncles.
(c) His brother and sisters.
(d) His mother and her parents.
5. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
6. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Feeling helpless.
(b) Loss of his identity.
(c) Lack of control.
(d) Not being loved.
7. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
(a) His teenage years.
(b) The punishments slaves endure.
(c) Slave families attempt at staying together.
(d) The luxuries of slaveholders .
8. What type of style does the First Preface take on?
(d) A religious sermon.
9. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(a) Slave traders.
(b) Slaves being beaten .
(c) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
10. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
11. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
(a) She is found with a male slave and her master is jealous.
(b) She runs away, but is later caught.
(c) She is disobedent.
(d) She steals some food.
12. What best defines what mulatto means?
(a) A slave child.
(b) A person who has one white parent and one blank parent.
(c) A person who is violent to slaves.
(d) An adulterous relationship between a master and a slave.
13. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
14. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
15. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
(a) His father is a slave trader.
(b) His father is a white man.
(c) His father is a Civil War soldier.
(d) His father is a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
2. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
3. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
4. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
5. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)