|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
2. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The carriages, horses, and stables.
(b) The pool.
(c) The garden.
(d) The cows and other farm animals.
3. How many slaves are at the main farm?
(a) Three or four hundred.
(b) Thirty or forty.
(c) Ten or twenty.
(d) Four or five hundred.
4. When is Garrison's newspaper published?
(a) Before, during, and after the Civil War.
(b) During the Civil War.
(c) After the Civil War.
(d) Before the Civil War.
5. How many slaves does Colonel Lloyd have in total?
(a) About two thousand.
(b) About one thousand.
(c) About eight hundred.
(d) About thirteen hundred.
6. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
(a) He reduces their water supply.
(b) He trades them away.
(c) He withholds food.
(d) He beats them.
7. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
(a) A slave.
(b) An abolitionist.
(c) A slave master.
(d) A Civil War soldier.
8. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) Before turning three.
(b) Before turning one.
(c) At two years of age.
(d) Before turning five.
9. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
10. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
11. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Phillips.
(b) Mr. Plummer.
(c) Mr. Grady.
(d) Mr. Garrison.
12. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 29 or 30 years old.
(b) 20 or 21 years old.
(c) 25 or 26 years old.
(d) 27 or 28 years old.
13. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The memory of slaves singing.
(b) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(c) The images of slaves being hung.
(d) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
14. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
(a) The Liberator.
(b) The Slave Master.
(c) The Slave Trader.
(d) New Englander.
15. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
(b) More than ten.
(c) More than thirty.
(d) More than twenty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
2. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
3. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
4. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
5. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)