|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The carriages, horses, and stables.
(b) The cows and other farm animals.
(c) The pool.
(d) The garden.
2. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(a) Being an anti-slavery orator.
(c) Being a slave master.
(d) Being a slave trainer.
3. What does Colonel Lloyd do about one of his slaves getting killed?
(a) He turns the slave master in to the authorities.
(b) He makes the slave master pay the cost of the slave.
(c) He fires the slave master.
(d) He does nothing and lets the incident pass.
4. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(b) The memory of slaves singing.
(c) The images of slaves being hung.
(d) The images of the slaves being beaten.
5. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
(a) A lawyer's.
(b) A teacher's.
(c) A pastor's.
(d) A doctor's.
6. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
7. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His father and his parents.
(b) His father and his uncle.
(c) His mother and her parents.
(d) His mother and his aunt.
8. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
(b) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(c) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(d) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
9. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
(a) "High regard."
(b) "Commanding stature."
(c) "A body ravaged by time."
(d) "Little hope."
10. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
(b) To keep the animals away.
(c) To know if the slaves try to escape.
(d) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
11. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His mother and her parents.
(b) His brother and sisters.
(c) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
(d) His aunts and uncles.
12. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
(a) She is disobedent.
(b) She runs away, but is later caught.
(c) She steals some food.
(d) She is found with a male slave and her master is jealous.
13. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) There is only one overseer .
(b) There is one overseer for every three farms and one main overseer for all.
(c) There are two overseers for the farms.
(d) There is one overseer for each farm and one main overseer for all.
14. Who is Frederick Douglass's first master?
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) James O'Conner.
(c) William Davenport.
(d) Captain Anthony.
15. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) Before turning three.
(b) Before turning five.
(c) At two years of age.
(d) Before turning one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
2. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
3. How many slaves are at the main farm?
4. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
5. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)