|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
(a) Slavery makes people feel less than human.
(b) Hunger will cause people to do almost anything.
(c) Love can come from unexpected sources.
(d) Competition brings out the best in people.
2. What does Colonel Lloyd do about one of his slaves getting killed?
(a) He does nothing and lets the incident pass.
(b) He makes the slave master pay the cost of the slave.
(c) He fires the slave master.
(d) He turns the slave master in to the authorities.
3. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) His Mom.
(c) His age.
(d) Being beaten.
4. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) His own death.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The death of Douglass.
(d) The end of slavery the following year.
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
(a) A person who has one white parent and one blank parent.
(b) A person who is violent to slaves.
(c) A slave child.
(d) An adulterous relationship between a master and a slave.
6. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
7. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(b) Slave traders.
(c) Slaves being beaten .
(d) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
8. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) The running of his farms.
(b) His hunting dogs.
(c) The care of his horses and carriage.
(d) His crops.
9. How many house servants does Colonel Lloyd have?
(a) Twenty or twenty five.
(b) Five or ten.
(c) Eight or ten.
(d) Ten or fifteen .
10. When is Garrison's newspaper published?
(a) During the Civil War.
(b) After the Civil War.
(c) Before, during, and after the Civil War.
(d) Before the Civil War.
11. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
12. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(b) Not telling him who his father is.
(c) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(d) For dying.
13. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
14. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(b) The person goes to jail.
(c) The person is murdered.
(d) The person moves away.
15. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
2. How many slaves does Colonel Lloyd have in total?
3. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
4. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
5. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)