|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
(a) The police do nothing.
(b) The police investigate .
(c) The police put Phillips in jail.
(d) The police find the wrongdoers and punish them.
2. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
(a) Two months.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
3. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
(a) Starving slaves.
(b) Beating slaves.
(c) Overworking slaves.
(d) Murdering slaves.
4. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "No formal education."
(b) "A life not worth living."
(c) "Loses his soul."
(d) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
5. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(b) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
(c) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(d) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
6. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) James McAlister.
(c) Daniel O'Connell.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
7. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) The one who is yelled at the least.
(b) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
(c) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(d) Who has the most food left after a week.
8. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
(a) To get an additional blanket.
(b) To work at the main farm.
(c) To be the head slave.
(d) To get extra food.
9. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(b) Being a slave trainer.
(c) Being an anti-slavery orator.
(d) Being a slave master.
10. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 25 years.
11. What does the slave master who replaced Mr. Hopkins want to do?
(a) Increase his position with Colonel Lloyd.
(b) Buy his own farm.
(c) Keep his job by not being overly noticed.
(d) Earn enough money to buy his own slaves.
12. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
13. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(b) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(c) Not telling him who his father is.
(d) For dying.
14. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Ann Jester.
(b) Arlene Henry.
(c) Aunt Hester.
(d) Jan Harris.
15. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
(a) Mr. Anthony.
(b) Mr. Severe.
(c) Mr. Hopkins.
(d) Mr. Lloyd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of writing is the second preface?
2. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
3. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
4. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
5. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)