|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
(a) Two years of his childhood.
(b) When he meets his first love.
(c) His twenties.
(d) His teenage years.
2. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person goes to jail.
(b) The person is murdered.
(c) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(d) The person moves away.
3. How many shirts does each working slave get for a year?
4. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
(a) "Commanding stature."
(b) "High regard."
(c) "Little hope."
(d) "A body ravaged by time."
5. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
6. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) The one who is yelled at the least.
(b) Who has the most food left after a week.
(c) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(d) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
7. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(b) Slaves being beaten .
(c) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(d) Slave traders.
8. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
(b) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(c) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(d) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
9. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
(a) Paul Davenport.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) William Smith.
10. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As mean and nasty.
(b) As ruthless and violent.
(c) As hateful.
(d) As scary.
11. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Phillips.
(b) Mr. Grady.
(c) Mr. Plummer.
(d) Mr. Garrison.
12. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His aunts and uncles.
(b) His brother and sisters.
(c) His mother and her parents.
(d) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
13. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(b) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(c) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(d) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
14. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) His hunting dogs.
(b) His crops.
(c) The care of his horses and carriage.
(d) The running of his farms.
15. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "No formal education."
(b) "Loses his soul."
(c) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(d) "A life not worth living."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves does Colonel Lloyd have in total?
2. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
3. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
4. What does Colonel Lloyd own that takes five men to maintain?
5. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)