|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
2. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) There is one overseer for every three farms and one main overseer for all.
(b) There are two overseers for the farms.
(c) There is one overseer for each farm and one main overseer for all.
(d) There is only one overseer .
3. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(b) Who has the most food left after a week.
(c) The one who is yelled at the least.
(d) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
4. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
(a) Mr. Gore.
(b) Mr. Severe.
(c) Mr. Anthony.
(d) Mr. Silas.
5. What type of style does the First Preface take on?
(a) A religious sermon.
6. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
(a) His mother and her parents.
(b) His first master.
(c) His slave friend.
(d) His brother and sister.
7. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Garrison.
(b) Mr. Grady.
(c) Mr. Plummer.
(d) Mr. Phillips.
8. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
9. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(b) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(c) Slaves being beaten .
(d) Slave traders.
10. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
(a) Slave families attempt at staying together.
(b) The luxuries of slaveholders .
(c) His teenage years.
(d) The punishments slaves endure.
11. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(b) The images of slaves being hung.
(c) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(d) The memory of slaves singing.
12. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) Before turning one.
(b) Before turning three.
(c) At two years of age.
(d) Before turning five.
13. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
14. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
(a) He has to pay a fine.
(b) He goes to jail for one night.
(d) He has to set two slaves free.
15. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
2. What type of writing is the second preface?
3. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
4. How many slaves are at the main farm?
5. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)