|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
(a) Direct language.
(b) Complicated language.
(c) Simple language.
(d) Comical language.
2. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
(a) The slaveholders.
(b) The "down-trodden victims."
(d) Frederick Douglass.
3. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Not being loved.
(b) Feeling helpless.
(c) Lack of control.
(d) Loss of his identity.
4. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) His own death.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The end of slavery the following year.
(d) The death of Douglass.
5. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A slaveholder.
(b) A Civil War soldier.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
6. How long is the food that is given to the adult slaves suppose to last?
(a) One week.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
7. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The cows and other farm animals.
(b) The garden.
(c) The pool.
(d) The carriages, horses, and stables.
8. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
(a) "Commanding stature."
(b) "A body ravaged by time."
(c) "High regard."
(d) "Little hope."
9. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
(a) To get an additional blanket.
(b) To get extra food.
(c) To be the head slave.
(d) To work at the main farm.
10. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
(a) His first master.
(b) His slave friend.
(c) His brother and sister.
(d) His mother and her parents.
11. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
(a) No one.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) William L. Garrison.
(d) James McAlister.
12. How many house servants does Colonel Lloyd have?
(a) Five or ten.
(b) Ten or fifteen .
(c) Eight or ten.
(d) Twenty or twenty five.
13. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
(a) Chippewa River.
(b) Mississippi River.
(c) Maryland River.
(d) Miles River.
14. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) There is one overseer for each farm and one main overseer for all.
(b) There is one overseer for every three farms and one main overseer for all.
(c) There are two overseers for the farms.
(d) There is only one overseer .
15. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
(a) The punishments slaves endure.
(b) His teenage years.
(c) Slave families attempt at staying together.
(d) The luxuries of slaveholders .
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
2. How many slaves are at the main farm?
3. What does Colonel Lloyd do about one of his slaves getting killed?
4. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
5. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)