|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
(a) Beating slaves.
(b) Overworking slaves.
(c) Starving slaves.
(d) Murdering slaves.
2. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) His hunting dogs.
(b) His crops.
(c) The running of his farms.
(d) The care of his horses and carriage.
3. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
4. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
5. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 29 or 30 years old.
(b) 20 or 21 years old.
(c) 27 or 28 years old.
(d) 25 or 26 years old.
6. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(b) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(c) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(d) An experiment to keep slave families together.
7. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Not being loved.
(b) Lack of control.
(c) Feeling helpless.
(d) Loss of his identity.
8. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Chesapeake Bay.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) Cape Cod.
(d) The Boston Harbor.
9. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
10. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His aunts and uncles.
(b) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
(c) His brother and sisters.
(d) His mother and her parents.
11. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Aunt Hester.
(b) Ann Jester.
(c) Jan Harris.
(d) Arlene Henry.
12. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) Who has the most food left after a week.
(b) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(c) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
(d) The one who is yelled at the least.
13. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
(a) Captain Jack.
(b) Colonel Edward Lloyd.
(c) Captain O'Connel.
(d) Captain Anthony.
14. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The memory of slaves singing.
(b) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(c) The images of slaves being hung.
(d) The images of the slaves being beaten.
15. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
2. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
3. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
4. What event does Phillips predict?
5. Who writes the second preface?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)