|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a teenage girl in Douglass's own family killed for?
(a) Feeding the house animals too much.
(b) Falling asleep while babysitting.
(c) Talking to the masters children.
(d) Not properly cleaning the kitchen.
2. How many house servants does Colonel Lloyd have?
(a) Ten or fifteen .
(b) Five or ten.
(c) Eight or ten.
(d) Twenty or twenty five.
3. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "Loses his soul."
(b) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(c) "No formal education."
(d) "A life not worth living."
4. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a publisher.
5. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
6. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
(a) 1,800 issues.
(b) 500 issues.
(c) 100 issues.
(d) 15,000 issues.
7. Who does Phillips compare Douglass to?
(a) Civil War Soldiers.
(b) The writers of the Constitution.
(d) Slave Masters.
8. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
(a) Direct language.
(b) Complicated language.
(c) Comical language.
(d) Simple language.
9. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
10. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(b) For dying.
(c) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(d) Not telling him who his father is.
11. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Atlantic Ocean.
(b) The Chesapeake Bay.
(c) The Boston Harbor.
(d) Cape Cod.
12. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) Great House Farm.
(b) Lloyd Family Farm.
(c) Lloyd Farm House.
(d) At each of the farms.
13. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
(a) The images of slaves being hung.
(b) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(c) The emotional impact of the songs the slaves sing.
(d) The images of the slaves being beaten.
14. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
(b) The one who is yelled at the least.
(c) Who has the most food left after a week.
(d) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
15. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As mean and nasty.
(b) As ruthless and violent.
(c) As scary.
(d) As hateful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
2. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
3. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
4. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
5. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)