|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(a) Being a slave master.
(c) Being an anti-slavery orator.
(d) Being a slave trainer.
2. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
3. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
4. What does Colonel Lloyd own that takes five men to maintain?
(a) A large food storage building.
(b) A ship.
(c) A garden.
(d) A pool.
5. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
(a) William Smith.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) Paul Davenport.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
6. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
7. How many house servants does Colonel Lloyd have?
(a) Ten or fifteen .
(b) Eight or ten.
(c) Twenty or twenty five.
(d) Five or ten.
8. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
(b) The "down-trodden victims."
(c) The slaveholders.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
9. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(a) Slave traders.
(b) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(d) Slaves being beaten .
10. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
(b) His mother and her parents.
(c) His brother and sisters.
(d) His aunts and uncles.
11. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Boston Harbor.
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) The Chesapeake Bay.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
12. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) His Mom.
(b) His age.
(c) Not having enough food.
(d) Being beaten.
13. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "No formal education."
(b) "Loses his soul."
(c) "A life not worth living."
(d) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
14. Why does Douglas think Mr. Hopkins is replaced?
(a) He steals money.
(b) He is not severe enough as a master.
(c) He steals liquor.
(d) He is rude to Colonel Lloyd's children.
15. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His mother and his aunt.
(b) His father and his parents.
(c) His father and his uncle.
(d) His mother and her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
2. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
3. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
4. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
5. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)