|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Phillips compare Douglass to?
(a) Slave Masters.
(b) The writers of the Constitution.
(c) Civil War Soldiers.
2. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) At two years of age.
(b) Before turning three.
(c) Before turning five.
(d) Before turning one.
3. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) Not telling him who his father is.
(b) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(c) For dying.
(d) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
4. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
(a) He thinks the supervisor is a good man.
(b) He thinks she is nice.
(c) He lives at the far end of the farm and is sheltered from these occurrences.
(d) She is young and pregnant.
5. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) Being beaten.
(b) His age.
(c) Not having enough food.
(d) His Mom.
6. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Phillips.
(b) Mr. Garrison.
(c) Mr. Grady.
(d) Mr. Plummer.
7. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
(b) To keep the animals away.
(c) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
(d) To know if the slaves try to escape.
8. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Ann Jester.
(b) Aunt Hester.
(c) Arlene Henry.
(d) Jan Harris.
9. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
(b) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(c) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(d) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
10. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
(a) A slave.
(b) An abolitionist.
(c) A slave master.
(d) A Civil War soldier.
11. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) The care of his horses and carriage.
(b) The running of his farms.
(c) His hunting dogs.
(d) His crops.
12. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
13. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A Civil War soldier.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A slaveholder.
14. What is a teenage girl in Douglass's own family killed for?
(a) Feeding the house animals too much.
(b) Falling asleep while babysitting.
(c) Not properly cleaning the kitchen.
(d) Talking to the masters children.
15. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) James McAlister.
(c) Daniel O'Connell.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
2. How many overseers are there for the farms that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
3. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
4. How does Mr. Lanman kill one of two slaves?
5. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)