|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(a) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(b) Slave traders.
(d) Slaves being beaten .
2. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
(a) A pastor's.
(b) A doctor's.
(c) A lawyer's.
(d) A teacher's.
3. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) Being beaten.
(c) His Mom.
(d) His age.
4. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Lack of control.
(b) Feeling helpless.
(c) Not being loved.
(d) Loss of his identity.
5. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A Civil War soldier.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A slaveholder.
6. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
(a) He beats them.
(b) He reduces their water supply.
(c) He trades them away.
(d) He withholds food.
7. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
(d) Uneducated people.
8. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
(a) Two of the overseers.
(b) Three of the overseers.
(c) All of the overseers.
(d) Most of the overseers.
9. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(a) Being a slave trainer.
(c) Being a slave master.
(d) Being an anti-slavery orator.
10. How many slaves does Colonel Lloyd have in total?
(a) About two thousand.
(b) About one thousand.
(c) About eight hundred.
(d) About thirteen hundred.
11. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
(a) Mr. Hopkins.
(b) Mr. Anthony.
(c) Mr. Severe.
(d) Mr. Lloyd.
12. What stays in Douglass's memory for the rest of his life?
(a) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(b) The images of slaves being hung.
(c) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(d) The emotional impact of the songs the slaves sing.
13. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(b) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(c) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(d) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
14. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
15. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Paul Davenport.
(c) William Smith.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
2. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
3. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
4. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
5. Who writes the second preface?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)