|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) Before turning three.
(b) Before turning five.
(c) At two years of age.
(d) Before turning one.
2. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As hateful.
(b) As mean and nasty.
(c) As ruthless and violent.
(d) As scary.
3. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
(a) His brother and sister.
(b) His slave friend.
(c) His mother and her parents.
(d) His first master.
4. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A letter.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A journal.
(d) The Bible.
5. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 29 or 30 years old.
(b) 27 or 28 years old.
(c) 25 or 26 years old.
(d) 20 or 21 years old.
6. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
(a) He goes to jail for one night.
(b) He has to set two slaves free.
(d) He has to pay a fine.
7. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) Lloyd Family Farm.
(b) Great House Farm.
(c) At each of the farms.
(d) Lloyd Farm House.
8. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
(a) Mr. Silas.
(b) Mr. Severe.
(c) Mr. Gore.
(d) Mr. Anthony.
9. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
10. What type of writing is the second preface?
(a) A short story.
(b) A letter.
(c) An essay.
(d) A poem.
11. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His mother and his aunt.
(b) His mother and her parents.
(c) His father and his uncle.
(d) His father and his parents.
12. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
(a) Slavery makes people feel less than human.
(b) Competition brings out the best in people.
(c) Love can come from unexpected sources.
(d) Hunger will cause people to do almost anything.
13. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
14. How many slaves are at the main farm?
(a) Four or five hundred.
(b) Thirty or forty.
(c) Three or four hundred.
(d) Ten or twenty.
15. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
2. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
3. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
4. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
5. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)