|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
2. How does Garrison describe Douglass's nature?
3. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
(a) Being an anti-slavery orator.
(b) Being a slave master.
(d) Being a slave trainer.
4. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
5. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
6. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
7. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
(a) Overworking slaves.
(b) Starving slaves.
(c) Murdering slaves.
(d) Beating slaves.
8. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Arlene Henry.
(b) Jan Harris.
(c) Ann Jester.
(d) Aunt Hester.
9. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person goes to jail.
(b) The person is murdered.
(c) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(d) The person moves away.
10. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His aunts and uncles.
(b) His mother and her parents.
(c) His brother and sisters.
(d) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
11. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
(a) Chippewa River.
(b) Miles River.
(c) Mississippi River.
(d) Maryland River.
12. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Boston Harbor.
(b) The Chesapeake Bay.
(c) Cape Cod.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
13. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
14. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
(a) His twenties.
(b) Two years of his childhood.
(c) When he meets his first love.
(d) His teenage years.
15. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
(a) Competition brings out the best in people.
(b) Love can come from unexpected sources.
(c) Slavery makes people feel less than human.
(d) Hunger will cause people to do almost anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
2. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
3. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
4. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
5. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)