|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Douglass describe the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins?
(a) As ruthless and violent.
(b) As mean and nasty.
(c) As hateful.
(d) As scary.
2. Who is Colonel Edward Lloyd?
(a) A Civil War soldier.
(b) A slaveholder.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
3. How many years is Daniel O'Connell a slave in Africa?
4. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
(a) He is a publisher.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a soldier.
5. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His father and his uncle.
(b) His mother and his aunt.
(c) His father and his parents.
(d) His mother and her parents.
6. What type of writing is the second preface?
(a) A letter.
(b) A short story.
(c) A poem.
(d) An essay.
7. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) His first master.
(b) His family.
(c) His first love.
(d) A friend who is a slave as a child.
8. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
(a) Farm House of Lloyd.
(b) Lloyd Family Farm.
(c) Lloyd Farm House.
(d) Great House Farm.
9. Who writes the second preface?
(a) William Lloyd Garrison.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) Wendell Phillips.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
10. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
(a) To get extra food.
(b) To get an additional blanket.
(c) To work at the main farm.
(d) To be the head slave.
11. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
12. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Arlene Henry.
(b) Aunt Hester.
(c) Ann Jester.
(d) Jan Harris.
13. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) His own death.
(c) The death of Douglass.
(d) The end of slavery the following year.
14. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
15. What is Colonel Lloyd obsessed with?
(a) His hunting dogs.
(b) The care of his horses and carriage.
(c) His crops.
(d) The running of his farms.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Lanman brags about the two killings what happens?
2. Who is Frederick Douglass's first master?
3. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
4. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)