|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
(a) Great House Farm.
(b) Lloyd Farm House.
(c) Lloyd Family Farm.
(d) At each of the farms.
2. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
(a) James McAlister.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) William Lloyd Garrison.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
3. How many farms does Colonel Edward Lloyd own?
(a) More than ten.
(b) More than thirty.
(c) More than twenty.
4. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
(a) Colonel Edward Lloyd.
(b) Captain Jack.
(c) Captain O'Connel.
(d) Captain Anthony.
5. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Boston Harbor.
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Chesapeake Bay.
6. What best defines what mulatto means?
(a) A person who is violent to slaves.
(b) A slave child.
(c) A person who has one white parent and one blank parent.
(d) An adulterous relationship between a master and a slave.
7. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
(a) He reduces their water supply.
(b) He trades them away.
(c) He beats them.
(d) He withholds food.
8. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) Not telling him who his father is.
(b) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(c) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(d) For dying.
9. About what age is Douglass when his mother dies?
10. What does the father and son slave team take care of on the Colonel's farm?
(a) The pool.
(b) The garden.
(c) The cows and other farm animals.
(d) The carriages, horses, and stables.
11. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(b) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(c) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(d) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
12. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
(a) Mr. Severe.
(b) Mr. Lloyd.
(c) Mr. Hopkins.
(d) Mr. Anthony.
13. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Plummer.
(b) Mr. Grady.
(c) Mr. Phillips.
(d) Mr. Garrison.
14. What does the slave master who replaces Mr. Hopkins expect from the slaves?
15. Who does Douglass's first master oversee?
(a) Three of the overseers.
(b) All of the overseers.
(c) Most of the overseers.
(d) Two of the overseers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Garrison describe Douglass's nature?
2. What does the slave master who replaced Mr. Hopkins want to do?
3. Near what river is the main farm Douglass works on?
4. Who writes the first preface of the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave?
5. What type of writing is the second preface?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)