|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) White boys in the street.
(b) White overseers who like him.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
2. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(d) A piece of candy.
3. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person is murdered.
(b) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
(c) The person goes to jail.
(d) The person moves away.
4. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A hair cut.
(d) His first pair of pants.
5. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Two?
(a) His brother and sisters.
(b) His mother and her parents.
(c) His aunts and uncles.
(d) His first masters and the farms he lives on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
2. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
3. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
4. Where is the punishment of slaves and the food given out?
5. What is the name of the overseer for the main farm house?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)