|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
(a) His father and his uncle.
(b) His father and his parents.
(c) His mother and her parents.
(d) His mother and his aunt.
2. Who are the Thomases?
(a) City slaveholders.
(b) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(c) Southern slaveholders.
(d) Slave family who is sold and separated.
3. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
(b) To keep the animals away.
(c) To know if the slaves try to escape.
(d) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
4. Who is Slave Master Mr. Hopkins replaced with?
(a) Mr. Severe.
(b) Mr. Silas.
(c) Mr. Gore.
(d) Mr. Anthony.
5. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
(a) How he befriends a white child.
(b) How he begins going to school.
(c) When he moves to another plantation.
(d) How he continues to learn to read and write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel do when the slaves disrespect him?
2. What does Douglass compare the way slaves are treated to?
3. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
4. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
5. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)