|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 20 or 21 years old.
(b) 27 or 28 years old.
(c) 25 or 26 years old.
(d) 29 or 30 years old.
2. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(b) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(c) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
(d) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
3. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
4. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
(a) His Mom.
(b) Not having enough food.
(c) His age.
(d) Being beaten.
5. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(b) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(c) Not telling him who his father is.
(d) For dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
2. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
3. Garrison builds up Douglass as an icon of what movement?
4. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
5. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)