|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(b) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(c) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(d) An experiment to make white people slaves.
2. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
(b) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(c) Not telling him who his father is.
(d) For dying.
3. What is the female slave's name that Douglass describes being beaten by the supervisor?
(a) Ann Jester.
(b) Aunt Hester.
(c) Arlene Henry.
(d) Jan Harris.
4. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
5. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
(a) Daniel O'Connell.
(b) William Lloyd Garrison.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) James McAlister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Douglass concerned about in Chapter One?
2. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
3. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
4. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
5. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)