|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wendell Phillips do for a living?
(a) He is a publisher.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a lawyer.
2. What is Douglass's concern symbolic for?
(a) Lack of control.
(b) Loss of his identity.
(c) Feeling helpless.
(d) Not being loved.
3. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
(a) William L. Garrison.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) James McAlister.
(d) No one.
4. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
5. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
2. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
3. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
4. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
5. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)