|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A letter.
(c) A journal.
(d) The Bible.
2. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
(a) The person is murdered.
(b) The person goes to jail.
(c) The person moves away.
(d) The person gets help and rebuilds what was destroyed.
3. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
(a) Not telling him who his father is.
(b) For leaving him even though he knows she could not help it.
(c) For dying.
(d) For coming to visit him, knowing she could get beaten for it.
4. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Daniel O'Connell.
(c) Paul Davenport.
(d) William Smith.
5. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
(a) A pastor's.
(b) A doctor's.
(c) A teacher's.
(d) A lawyer's.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
2. Who writes the first preface of the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave?
3. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
4. What type of writing is the second preface?
5. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)