|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "A life not worth living."
(b) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(c) "No formal education."
(d) "Loses his soul."
2. What does Frederick Douglass say disgusts him?
(a) Slaveholders forcing themselves on slave women, then having children with them.
(b) Slaves being beaten .
(d) Slave traders.
3. In what city in Massachusetts does Garrison hear the speech about slavery?
4. Who gives the anti-slavery speech in Massachusetts?
(a) William Smith.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Daniel O'Connell.
(d) Paul Davenport.
5. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
(a) A Civil War soldier.
(b) A slave.
(c) A slave master.
(d) An abolitionist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
2. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
3. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
4. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
5. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)