|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
(a) She is found with a male slave and her master is jealous.
(b) She is disobedent.
(c) She steals some food.
(d) She runs away, but is later caught.
2. At what age are slave children separated from their mothers?
(a) Before turning three.
(b) At two years of age.
(c) Before turning five.
(d) Before turning one.
3. Who does Douglass's first master have as a supervisor?
(a) Mr. Plummer.
(b) Mr. Garrison.
(c) Mr. Phillips.
(d) Mr. Grady.
4. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(b) "A life not worth living."
(c) "No formal education."
(d) "Loses his soul."
5. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) His own death.
(b) The death of Douglass.
(c) The end of slavery the following year.
(d) The Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
2. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
3. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
4. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
5. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)