|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) The Bible.
(b) A journal.
(c) A letter.
(d) A newspaper.
2. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 35 years.
3. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "No formal education."
(b) "A life not worth living."
(c) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(d) "Loses his soul."
4. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
(a) "WE CAN FREE THE SLAVES NOW!"
(b) "FREE ALL THE SLAVES NOW!"
(c) "NO COMPROMISE WITH SLAVERY! NO UNION WITH SLAVEHOLDERS!"
(d) "DEATH TO THE SLAVEHOLDERS!"
5. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
2. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
3. What is Douglass irritated with his mother for?
4. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
5. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)