|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of style does the First Preface take on?
(b) A religious sermon.
2. What event does Phillips predict?
(a) His own death.
(b) The end of slavery the following year.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The death of Douglass.
3. What rumor does Douglass tell about himself in Chapter one?
(a) His father is a white man.
(b) His father is a lawyer.
(c) His father is a slave trader.
(d) His father is a Civil War soldier.
4. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
(a) The slaveholders.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) The "down-trodden victims."
5. How old does Douglass think he is in the First Chapter?
(a) 20 or 21 years old.
(b) 29 or 30 years old.
(c) 25 or 26 years old.
(d) 27 or 28 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which relatives' names does Douglass know?
2. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
3. Which state does Frederick Douglass come from?
4. What does Garrison scream at the end of his sermon?
5. Who helps Frederick Douglass with his writing?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)