|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
2. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
3. What brings tears to Douglass's eyes?
(a) The memory of slaves singing.
(b) The images of the slaves being beaten.
(c) The emotional impact of babies being taken from their mothers.
(d) The images of slaves being hung.
4. According to Douglass, what do the slaves strive for?
(a) To be the head slave.
(b) To get an additional blanket.
(c) To work at the main farm.
(d) To get extra food.
5. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
(a) "Loses his soul."
(b) "A life not worth living."
(c) "Trembling in fear for his safety."
(d) "No formal education."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
2. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
3. What later happens to the person whose offices and printing presses are destroyed?
4. What type of language is used in the First Preface?
5. Who writes the second preface?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)