|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ships Phillips describes in the second preface carrying?
2. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(b) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(c) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(d) An experiment to make white people slaves.
3. What does Douglass focus on describing in Chapter Three?
(a) Slave families attempt at staying together.
(b) His teenage years.
(c) The punishments slaves endure.
(d) The luxuries of slaveholders .
4. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
5. What does the slave master who replaced Mr. Hopkins want to do?
(a) Increase his position with Colonel Lloyd.
(b) Earn enough money to buy his own slaves.
(c) Buy his own farm.
(d) Keep his job by not being overly noticed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a teenage girl in Douglass's own family killed for?
2. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
3. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
4. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
5. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)