|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Douglass talks about slavery, what does he have flashbacks about?
(a) His family.
(b) His first love.
(c) His first master.
(d) A friend who is a slave as a child.
2. Who does Phillips compare Douglass to?
(a) The writers of the Constitution.
(c) Civil War Soldiers.
(d) Slave Masters.
3. What is the competition among the slaves?
(a) The one who is yelled at the least.
(b) Who has the most food left after a week.
(c) Who could go without a beating for the longest.
(d) Each insists that their master is better than the other's master.
4. What type of writing is the second preface?
(a) A short story.
(b) A letter.
(c) A poem.
(d) An essay.
5. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
2. Who says, "I speak advisedly when I say this,--that killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot County, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community."
3. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
4. What does Colonel Lloyd own that takes five men to maintain?
5. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)