|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
2. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
3. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
4. What does Zooey do in Buddy's room?
5. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
Essay Topic 1
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)