|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
2. How does Zooey think about Lane?
3. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
4. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
5. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
2. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
3. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
4. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
5. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
6. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
7. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
8. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
9. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
10. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What might the settings of the novel suggest about the tone? Salinger places a private girls' school across the street from the Glasses' apartment. What is the significance of the school to the tone? The imagery of the living room is significant. How does this setting affect the tone? Also, the bathroom is a major setting in the story which also sets the tone of the novel. How does it? In a well-organized essay, explain how the various settings affect the tone of the novel. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
How does Seymour's strong influence affect the characters of Franny and Zooey? In a well-organized essay, discuss the influence of Seymour and its significance to the characters of Franny and Zooey in the decisions that they make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What central question does the novel raises in reference to the book "The Way of the Pilgrim" and Franny's reading of it and to what extent does the novel offer answers. Explain how Salinger's treatment of this question affects your understanding of the work as a whole.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)