|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are chakras?
2. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
3. What is Franny's dream about?
4. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
5. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
2. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
3. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
4. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
5. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
6. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
7. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
8. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
9. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
10. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel. Zooey makes a phone call to Franny. The call is ironic because Zooey pretends to be someone that he is not. The irony culminates the theme of phoniness in the novel. In a well-organized essay, explain how the phone call is ironic and how it culminates the theme of phoniness.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary technique whereby an author gives clues as to what will occur in the plot. Choose four examples of foreshadowing that Salinger uses in Franny and Zooey. Describe the four scenes in detail showing what techniques Salinger uses to foreshadow. Then comment on whether those techniques came to fruition later in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is crucial to any story as to the development of a character. Salinger sets the bulk of the story of Franny and Zooey in the bathroom. What does the setting of the bathroom do to drive the characters of Bessie and Zooey? What does it say about each of them individually? What does it say about their relationship to each other?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)