|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want to get married?
2. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
3. Why does Franny believe that Professor Tupper detests her?
4. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
5. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
2. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
3. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
4. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
5. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
6. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
7. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
8. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
9. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
10. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)