|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
2. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
3. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
4. After Zooey upsets Franny, what is she trying to get him to do?
5. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
2. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
3. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
4. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
5. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
6. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
7. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
8. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
9. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
10. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel. Zooey makes a phone call to Franny. The call is ironic because Zooey pretends to be someone that he is not. The irony culminates the theme of phoniness in the novel. In a well-organized essay, explain how the phone call is ironic and how it culminates the theme of phoniness.
Essay Topic 2
Franny is hypocritical. Her hypocrisy makes her a complex character. It also is a theme of the novel. In a well-organized essay, tie the theme to her character and explain how she is hypocritical and how that hypocrisy is a theme of the novel. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)