|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
2. Why did Franny move out of her room at college?
3. What role does Dick Hess want Zooey to play?
4. What does Zooey shout at his mother as she leaves the bathroom?
5. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
2. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
3. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
4. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
5. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
6. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
7. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
8. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
9. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
10. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie tells Zooey that he cannot "live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes." Using examples and quotes from the book, show how Zooey has strong likes and dislikes. Then explain what Bessie is trying to teach Zooey. Do you agree with her or not?
Essay Topic 2
What might the settings of the novel suggest about the tone? Salinger places a private girls' school across the street from the Glasses' apartment. What is the significance of the school to the tone? The imagery of the living room is significant. How does this setting affect the tone? Also, the bathroom is a major setting in the story which also sets the tone of the novel. How does it? In a well-organized essay, explain how the various settings affect the tone of the novel. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)