|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
2. Why does Zooey believe that the prayer will never work for Franny?
3. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
4. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
5. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
2. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
3. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
4. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
5. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
6. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
7. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
8. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
9. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
10. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Franny and her siblings through the concept of conflict. What conflicts are created? How do those conflicts lead to the complexities of the characters/ How do those conflicts drive the plot. Avoid plot summary in writing a well-organized essay addressing the topic.
Essay Topic 2
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
Essay Topic 3
Fitting in and being accepted are strong and natural desires of humans. What does Zooey mean when he says that he and Franny are freaks, and how does this idea create conflict for them in their desire to fit in? Explain how this idea affects the work as a whole in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary. Use quotes and examples.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)