|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are chakras?
2. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
3. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
4. How does Zooey think about Lane?
5. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
2. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
3. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
4. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
5. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
6. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
7. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
8. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
9. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
10. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Seymour contributes to the theme of the story. In a well-organized essay, explain what may have caused Seymour to commit suicide and link that cause to the theme of selfishness. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)