|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
2. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
3. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
4. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
5. What color is the bathmat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
2. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
3. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
4. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
5. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
6. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
7. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
8. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
9. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
10. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franny is hypocritical. Her hypocrisy makes her a complex character. It also is a theme of the novel. In a well-organized essay, tie the theme to her character and explain how she is hypocritical and how that hypocrisy is a theme of the novel. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Franny and her siblings through the concept of conflict. What conflicts are created? How do those conflicts lead to the complexities of the characters/ How do those conflicts drive the plot. Avoid plot summary in writing a well-organized essay addressing the topic.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)