|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
2. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
3. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
4. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
5. What medical problem does Zooey have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
2. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
3. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
4. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
5. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
6. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
7. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
8. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
9. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
10. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a literary technique whereby an author gives clues as to what will occur in the plot. Choose four examples of foreshadowing that Salinger uses in Franny and Zooey. Describe the four scenes in detail showing what techniques Salinger uses to foreshadow. Then comment on whether those techniques came to fruition later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What might the settings of the novel suggest about the tone? Salinger places a private girls' school across the street from the Glasses' apartment. What is the significance of the school to the tone? The imagery of the living room is significant. How does this setting affect the tone? Also, the bathroom is a major setting in the story which also sets the tone of the novel. How does it? In a well-organized essay, explain how the various settings affect the tone of the novel. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)