|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
2. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
3. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
4. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
5. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
2. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
3. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
4. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
5. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
6. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
7. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
8. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
9. Describe the Glass's living room.
10. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
Essay Topic 3
Bessie tells Zooey that he cannot "live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes." Using examples and quotes from the book, show how Zooey has strong likes and dislikes. Then explain what Bessie is trying to teach Zooey. Do you agree with her or not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)