|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want to get married?
2. What is Franny's dream about?
3. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
4. What does Franny tell Zooey of her night with Lane?
5. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
2. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
3. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
4. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
5. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
6. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
7. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
8. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
9. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
10. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Fitting in and being accepted are strong and natural desires of humans. What does Zooey mean when he says that he and Franny are freaks, and how does this idea create conflict for them in their desire to fit in? Explain how this idea affects the work as a whole in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary. Use quotes and examples.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel. Zooey makes a phone call to Franny. The call is ironic because Zooey pretends to be someone that he is not. The irony culminates the theme of phoniness in the novel. In a well-organized essay, explain how the phone call is ironic and how it culminates the theme of phoniness.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)