|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
2. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
3. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
4. What was the film about that Zooey made with Dick Hess?
5. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
2. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
3. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
4. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
5. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
6. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
7. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
8. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
9. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
10. Describe the Glass's living room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie tells Zooey that he cannot "live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes." Using examples and quotes from the book, show how Zooey has strong likes and dislikes. Then explain what Bessie is trying to teach Zooey. Do you agree with her or not?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Franny is hypocritical. Her hypocrisy makes her a complex character. It also is a theme of the novel. In a well-organized essay, tie the theme to her character and explain how she is hypocritical and how that hypocrisy is a theme of the novel. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)