|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
2. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
3. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
4. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny that he and Buddy did that she was unaware of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
2. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
3. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
4. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
5. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
6. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
7. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
8. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
9. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
10. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minor characters often have a significant effect on the protagonist of a novel, especially if the minor character is an antagonist. Describe how Les is an antagonist in the story and in a well-organized essay show the significance of this character to the protagonist.
Essay Topic 2
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Ego and phoniness are recurring themes in the novel. What is Salinger expressing about his feelings on each of these themes?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)