|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zooey believe that the prayer will never work for Franny?
2. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
3. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
4. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
5. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
2. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
3. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
4. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
5. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
6. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
7. Describe the Glass's living room.
8. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
9. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
10. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
The death of Seymour contributes to the theme of the story. In a well-organized essay, explain what may have caused Seymour to commit suicide and link that cause to the theme of selfishness. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)