|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
2. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
3. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
4. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
5. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
2. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
3. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
4. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
5. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
6. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
7. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
8. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
9. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
10. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 3
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)