|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
2. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
3. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
4. How does Zooey describe Jesus?
5. What are chakras?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
2. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
3. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
4. Describe the Glass's living room.
5. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
6. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
7. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
8. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
9. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
10. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie tells Zooey that he cannot "live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes." Using examples and quotes from the book, show how Zooey has strong likes and dislikes. Then explain what Bessie is trying to teach Zooey. Do you agree with her or not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 3
Franny is hypocritical. Her hypocrisy makes her a complex character. It also is a theme of the novel. In a well-organized essay, tie the theme to her character and explain how she is hypocritical and how that hypocrisy is a theme of the novel. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)