|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
2. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
3. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
4. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
5. What was the film about that Zooey made with Dick Hess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel. Zooey makes a phone call to Franny. The call is ironic because Zooey pretends to be someone that he is not. The irony culminates the theme of phoniness in the novel. In a well-organized essay, explain how the phone call is ironic and how it culminates the theme of phoniness.
Essay Topic 2
The death of Seymour contributes to the theme of the story. In a well-organized essay, explain what may have caused Seymour to commit suicide and link that cause to the theme of selfishness. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)