Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
2. What is Franny's dream about?
3. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
4. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
5. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
Essay Topic 1
The death of Seymour contributes to the theme of the story. In a well-organized essay, explain what may have caused Seymour to commit suicide and link that cause to the theme of selfishness. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie tells Zooey that he cannot "live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes." Using examples and quotes from the book, show how Zooey has strong likes and dislikes. Then explain what Bessie is trying to teach Zooey. Do you agree with her or not?
Essay Topic 3
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)