|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
2. What should poets leave behind according to Franny?
3. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
4. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
5. How does Franny get to the restaurant manager's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
2. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
3. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
4. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
5. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
6. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
7. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
8. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
9. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
10. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Franny and her siblings through the concept of conflict. What conflicts are created? How do those conflicts lead to the complexities of the characters/ How do those conflicts drive the plot. Avoid plot summary in writing a well-organized essay addressing the topic.
Essay Topic 2
The death of Seymour contributes to the theme of the story. In a well-organized essay, explain what may have caused Seymour to commit suicide and link that cause to the theme of selfishness. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)