|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
2. What does Bessie wear while at home?
3. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
4. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
5. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
2. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
3. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
4. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
5. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
6. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
7. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
8. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
9. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
10. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Seymour's strong influence affect the characters of Franny and Zooey? In a well-organized essay, discuss the influence of Seymour and its significance to the characters of Franny and Zooey in the decisions that they make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)