Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
2. In the book that Franny is reading, after the pilgrim learns what he is seeking, what does he do next?
3. What did Seymour tell Buddy was his "wooden leg"?
4. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
5. What is happening to Franny's forehead while she is having lunch with Lane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
2. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
3. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
4. Describe the Glass's living room.
5. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
6. What kind of a character is Lane?
7. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
8. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
9. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
10. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
How does Seymour's strong influence affect the characters of Franny and Zooey? In a well-organized essay, discuss the influence of Seymour and its significance to the characters of Franny and Zooey in the decisions that they make throughout the novel.
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)