|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In diagnosing herself, Franny claims that her problem involves all of the below answers EXCEPT which one?
2. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
3. At the end of the letter, Buddy tells Zooey to do what?
4. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
5. What does Bessie wear while at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
2. What kind of a character is Lane?
3. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
4. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
5. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
6. Franny calls Lane a "section man." What is a section man and what does she mean by it?
7. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
8. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
9. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
10. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Franny and her siblings through the concept of conflict. What conflicts are created? How do those conflicts lead to the complexities of the characters/ How do those conflicts drive the plot. Avoid plot summary in writing a well-organized essay addressing the topic.
Essay Topic 3
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)