|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
2. What does Franny wish was underneath her chair?
3. What does Bessie wear while at home?
4. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
5. Lane tells Franny that it has been a month since they last did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
2. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
3. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
4. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
5. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
6. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
7. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
8. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
9. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
10. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
Essay Topic 1
Franny is hypocritical. Her hypocrisy makes her a complex character. It also is a theme of the novel. In a well-organized essay, tie the theme to her character and explain how she is hypocritical and how that hypocrisy is a theme of the novel. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)