|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
2. What is happening to Franny's forehead while she is having lunch with Lane?
3. In the letter that Buddy writes, he suggests a future for Zooey that his mother also wants for Zooey. What is the suggestion?
4. What should poets leave behind according to Franny?
5. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
2. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
3. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
4. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
5. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
6. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
7. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
8. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
9. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
10. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)