|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
2. How would Seymour react if he knew Buddy was lecturing Zooey about acting and his education?
3. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
4. What does Bessie wear while at home?
5. What does Franny tell Lane about the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
2. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
3. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
4. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
5. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
6. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
7. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
8. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
9. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
10. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Franny outwardly conform while questioning inward? Write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work.
Essay Topic 2
How does Seymour's strong influence affect the characters of Franny and Zooey? In a well-organized essay, discuss the influence of Seymour and its significance to the characters of Franny and Zooey in the decisions that they make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The death of Seymour contributes to the theme of the story. In a well-organized essay, explain what may have caused Seymour to commit suicide and link that cause to the theme of selfishness. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 1,674 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)