|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Les want to give Franny to make things better for her?
2. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
3. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
4. What year is it when Zooey and Bessie are talking in the bathroom?
5. What has really set Franny on a path of self-destruction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
2. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
3. What kind of a character is Lane?
4. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
5. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
6. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
7. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
8. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
9. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
10. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
Essay Topic 1
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is crucial to any story as to the development of a character. Salinger sets the bulk of the story of Franny and Zooey in the bathroom. What does the setting of the bathroom do to drive the characters of Bessie and Zooey? What does it say about each of them individually? What does it say about their relationship to each other?
Essay Topic 3
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)