|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
2. How does Franny get to the restaurant manager's office?
3. Where are the two meeting?
4. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
5. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
2. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
3. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
4. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
5. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
6. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
7. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
8. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
9. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
10. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Fitting in and being accepted are strong and natural desires of humans. What does Zooey mean when he says that he and Franny are freaks, and how does this idea create conflict for them in their desire to fit in? Explain how this idea affects the work as a whole in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary. Use quotes and examples.
Essay Topic 3
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)