|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie wear while at home?
2. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
3. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
4. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
5. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
2. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
3. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
4. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
5. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
6. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
7. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
8. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
9. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
10. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)