|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
2. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
3. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
4. What year is it when Zooey and Bessie are talking in the bathroom?
5. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
2. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
3. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
4. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
5. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
6. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
7. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
8. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
9. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
10. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Franny and her siblings through the concept of conflict. What conflicts are created? How do those conflicts lead to the complexities of the characters/ How do those conflicts drive the plot. Avoid plot summary in writing a well-organized essay addressing the topic.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is crucial to any story as to the development of a character. Salinger sets the bulk of the story of Franny and Zooey in the bathroom. What does the setting of the bathroom do to drive the characters of Bessie and Zooey? What does it say about each of them individually? What does it say about their relationship to each other?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)