|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
2. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
3. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
4. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
5. Lane tells Franny that it has been a month since they last did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
2. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
3. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
4. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
5. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
6. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
7. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
8. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
9. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
10. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel. Zooey makes a phone call to Franny. The call is ironic because Zooey pretends to be someone that he is not. The irony culminates the theme of phoniness in the novel. In a well-organized essay, explain how the phone call is ironic and how it culminates the theme of phoniness.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
Essay Topic 3
Franny is hypocritical. Her hypocrisy makes her a complex character. It also is a theme of the novel. In a well-organized essay, tie the theme to her character and explain how she is hypocritical and how that hypocrisy is a theme of the novel. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)