|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Franny's sandwich?
2. What does Lane want to mainly talk about during the lunch with Frannie?
3. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
4. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
5. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Franny calls Lane a "section man." What is a section man and what does she mean by it?
2. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
3. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
4. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
5. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
6. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
7. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
8. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
9. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
10. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What might the settings of the novel suggest about the tone? Salinger places a private girls' school across the street from the Glasses' apartment. What is the significance of the school to the tone? The imagery of the living room is significant. How does this setting affect the tone? Also, the bathroom is a major setting in the story which also sets the tone of the novel. How does it? In a well-organized essay, explain how the various settings affect the tone of the novel. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Zooey is a character of contradictions. What are those contradictions and are they ever resolved in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What central question does the novel raises in reference to the book "The Way of the Pilgrim" and Franny's reading of it and to what extent does the novel offer answers. Explain how Salinger's treatment of this question affects your understanding of the work as a whole.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)