|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
2. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
3. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
4. For lunch, what does Franny order?
5. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
2. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
3. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
4. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
5. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
6. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
7. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
8. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
9. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
10. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seymour has taught Franny and Zooey about the Fat Lady. Who is she and what is it that Seymour was teaching them? In a well-written essay, explain the symbolism of the Fat Lady and how she affects the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Minor characters often have a significant effect on the protagonist of a novel, especially if the minor character is an antagonist. Describe how Les is an antagonist in the story and in a well-organized essay show the significance of this character to the protagonist.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)