|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zooey say about Bessie's interpretation of religion?
2. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
3. How does Lane feel when he gets his first drink at the restaurant?
4. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
5. How does Lane feel about the grade he received on his paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
2. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
3. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
4. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
5. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
6. Franny calls Lane a "section man." What is a section man and what does she mean by it?
7. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
8. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
9. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
10. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fitting in and being accepted are strong and natural desires of humans. What does Zooey mean when he says that he and Franny are freaks, and how does this idea create conflict for them in their desire to fit in? Explain how this idea affects the work as a whole in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary. Use quotes and examples.
Essay Topic 2
Are humans a product of their environment or their upbringing or a combination of both? Is Franny's breakdown a product of her childhood or her environment? Take a stance on the topic and using examples and quotes from the novel. Defend your stance in a well-organized essay. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
What central question does the novel raises in reference to the book "The Way of the Pilgrim" and Franny's reading of it and to what extent does the novel offer answers. Explain how Salinger's treatment of this question affects your understanding of the work as a whole.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)