|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zooey say Bessie should invite to join them in the bathroom?
2. What was being taken out of the body of the lovely woman in the story told on the plane?
3. How would Seymour react if he knew Buddy was lecturing Zooey about acting and his education?
4. What does Waker say of the way Zooey handled the loss of Seymour?
5. In the book that Franny is reading, after the pilgrim learns what he is seeking, what does he do next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Franny calls Lane a "section man." What is a section man and what does she mean by it?
2. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
3. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
4. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
5. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
6. Describe the Glass's living room.
7. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
8. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
9. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
10. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Franny and her siblings through the concept of conflict. What conflicts are created? How do those conflicts lead to the complexities of the characters/ How do those conflicts drive the plot. Avoid plot summary in writing a well-organized essay addressing the topic.
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)