|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
2. How long is it before Franny and Lane arrive at the restaurant from the time they got in the cab?
3. What becomes of Franny's sandwich?
4. After telling her tale, Franny attempts to return to the bathroom. On the way what happens to her?
5. What does Zooey say about Bessie's interpretation of religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
2. What kind of a character is Lane?
3. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
4. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
5. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
6. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
7. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
8. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
9. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
10. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie is a complex character. In a well-organized essay explain how she is such a character and how her character influences the decisions that her children have made. Use quotes and examples. Avoid plot summary.
Essay Topic 2
Salinger continually interrupts the plot with the idea of the apartment being painted. The painting of the apartment is a symbol. In a well-organized essay using examples from the novel, explain what the painting is a symbol of, how it is used and why it is used.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Franny become so obsessed with the book The Way of the Pilgrim? What does the obsession say about her character? As you write, be sure to use such literary terms as round, flat, static, and/or dynamic.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)