|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
(a) Their ideas about acting.
(c) They are both bothered about things and can't keep quiet about it.
(d) Their ideas about religion.
2. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
(a) She came home.
(b) She made plans to go to Russia.
(c) She went to see Buddy.
(d) She called her mother.
3. What does Zooey tell Franny that he and Buddy did that she was unaware of?
(a) They went to see her in summer stock.
(b) They went to the college to visit her.
(c) They went and spoke with Lane after first meeting him.
(d) They went to chuch together.
4. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) His back.
(b) His shirt.
(c) The way he shaves.
(d) His socks.
5. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A nun.
(b) A monk.
(c) A priest.
(d) A bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
2. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
3. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
4. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
2. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
3. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
4. Describe the Glass's living room.
5. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
6. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
7. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
8. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
9. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
10. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)