|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
(a) On a film lot.
(c) With Franny.
(d) At a friends.
2. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
(b) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
(c) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(d) That wanting it may make her crazy.
3. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
(a) She says he is mean.
(b) She says he is happy.
(c) She says he is helpful.
(d) She says he is bitter.
4. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
(a) She wants Franny to see a priest.
(b) She wonders if Franny is searching for the prayer.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She becomes very worried for Franny.
5. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) Diving into a pool over and over again.
(b) Her dead brother.
(c) The prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
2. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
3. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
4. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
5. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
2. Describe the Glass's living room.
3. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
4. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
5. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
6. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
7. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
8. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
9. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
10. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)