|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
(a) The Lord's Prayer.
(b) A Buddist prayer.
(d) The Four Great Vows.
2. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His back.
(c) The way he shaves.
(d) His socks.
3. What color is the bathmat?
4. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
(a) "The Pilgrim Continues His Way."
(b) "The Pilgrim Finds Salvation."
(c) "The Pilgrim Goes to Heaven."
(d) "The Pilgrim Goes to Russia."
5. What does Zooey shout at his mother as she leaves the bathroom?
(a) "You are stupid and fat!"
(b) "Some exit lines you give yourself, buddy."
(c) "Get out!"
(d) "It's about time."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
2. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
3. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
4. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
5. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
2. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
3. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
4. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
5. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
6. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
7. Describe the Glass's living room.
8. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
9. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
10. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)