|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
(c) A wonderful college professor of Zooey's.
(d) Franny's college friends.
2. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother the priest.
(c) Professor Tupper.
(d) Her dead brother.
3. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
(a) She began taking medication.
(b) She kicked herself.
(c) She yelled at herself out loud with a threat.
(d) She spoke to Seymour.
4. In what book of the Bible does the pilgrim find the line, "Pray without ceasing"?
5. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
2. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
3. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
4. How does Zooey describe Jesus?
5. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
2. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
3. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
4. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
5. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
6. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
7. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
8. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
9. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
10. Describe the Glass's living room.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)