|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
(a) Her smile is crooked.
(b) It gives him the creeps.
(c) She does not do it wholeheartedly.
(d) Seymour used to smile at him.
2. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A nun.
(b) A priest.
(c) A bishop.
(d) A monk.
3. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
(a) She yelled at herself out loud with a threat.
(b) She spoke to Seymour.
(c) She kicked herself.
(d) She began taking medication.
4. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "Call Buddy."
(c) "I'm sorry."
(d) "Get over it."
5. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
(a) "The Pilgrim Finds Salvation."
(b) "The Pilgrim Goes to Russia."
(c) "The Pilgrim Continues His Way."
(d) "The Pilgrim Goes to Heaven."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
2. What color is the bathmat?
3. What are chakras?
4. What does Zooey shout at his mother as she leaves the bathroom?
5. In what book of the Bible does the pilgrim find the line, "Pray without ceasing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
2. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
3. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
4. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
5. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
6. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
7. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
8. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
9. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
10. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)