|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
(a) To become a better actress.
(b) To get better grades in school.
(c) To make the mean, bad people in her world go away.
(d) To cleanse her of her sins.
2. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
(a) She wonders if Franny is searching for the prayer.
(b) She becomes very worried for Franny.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She wants Franny to see a priest.
3. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
(a) Love poems.
(b) Information about Epictetus.
(c) Mathematical equations.
(d) Song lyrics.
4. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
(a) Time and dedication.
(b) A good priest.
(d) A strong church.
5. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
(b) Drinking chicken soup.
(d) Sharing the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zooey believe that the prayer will never work for Franny?
2. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
3. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
4. Who does Zooey say that Franny should act for?
5. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
2. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
3. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
4. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
5. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
6. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
7. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
8. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
9. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
10. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)