|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
(a) He is filing his nails.
(b) He is shaving.
(c) He is bathing.
(d) He is brushing his teeth.
2. What poet does Franny love?
(a) Elizabeth Browning.
(b) Gwendolyn Brooks.
(c) Jane Austin.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
3. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A monk.
(b) A priest.
(c) A nun.
(d) A bishop.
4. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They rarely have conversations.
(b) They are too smart for others.
(c) They don't talk, they expound.
(d) They don't like to talk.
5. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is sitting up staring into space.
(b) She is smiling slightly.
(c) She is sobbing.
(d) She is feeling better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
2. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
3. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
4. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
5. Who does Zooey say that Franny should act for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Glass's living room.
2. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
3. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
4. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
6. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
7. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
8. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
9. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
10. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)