|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
(c) Sporting equipment.
2. Zooey says that people who use their egos to get ahead cannot possibly have what?
(a) Good jobs.
(d) Much money.
3. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
(a) Quotations from a variety of world literature.
(b) A picture of Jesus.
(c) Quotations from the Bible.
(d) Awards from the television show he was in as a child.
4. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A church.
(c) A four-story apartment building.
(d) A four-story private school.
5. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(b) Intelligent people.
(c) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
2. What did Seymour use as a motivation for both Buddy and Franny?
3. Who does Zooey say that Franny should act for?
4. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
5. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
2. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
3. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
4. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
5. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
6. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
7. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
8. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
9. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
10. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)