|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zooey treat Hess when Hess offers him a new script?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is rude to him.
(c) He is ecstatic.
(d) He is happy.
2. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) Diving into a pool over and over again.
(c) Her dead brother.
(d) The prayer.
3. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
(a) She is sleeping.
(b) She is eating.
(c) She is reciting the prayer.
(d) She is picking fleas off of the cat.
4. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
(a) The crucifixion.
(c) The story of Job.
(d) Jesus saying that people are better than animals.
5. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
(a) He is not trying to stop her from saying it.
(b) That it is ridiculous.
(c) To stop saying it.
(d) That it does not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
2. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
3. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
4. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
5. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
2. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
3. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
4. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
5. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
6. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
7. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
8. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
9. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
10. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)