|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is sitting up staring into space.
(b) She is feeling better.
(c) She is smiling slightly.
(d) She is sobbing.
2. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
(a) He is not trying to stop her from saying it.
(b) That it does not work.
(c) To stop saying it.
(d) That it is ridiculous.
3. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They don't like to talk.
(b) They are too smart for others.
(c) They don't talk, they expound.
(d) They rarely have conversations.
4. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
(b) A wonderful college professor of Zooey's.
(c) Franny's college friends.
5. What are chakras?
(a) People who pray.
(c) The seven subtle centers in the body.
(d) Musical instruments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
2. What medical problem does Zooey have?
3. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
4. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
5. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
2. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
3. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
4. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
5. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
6. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
7. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
8. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
9. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
10. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)