|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zooey treat Hess when Hess offers him a new script?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is rude to him.
(c) He is ecstatic.
(d) He is happy.
2. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They don't talk, they expound.
(b) They don't like to talk.
(c) They rarely have conversations.
(d) They are too smart for others.
3. What role does Dick Hess want Zooey to play?
(a) A cowboy.
(b) A romantic young man.
(c) A city slicker.
(d) A sensitive young subway guard.
4. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
(a) A wonderful college professor of Zooey's.
(d) Franny's college friends.
5. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
(a) He is filing his nails.
(b) He is bathing.
(c) He is shaving.
(d) He is brushing his teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Seymour use as a motivation for both Buddy and Franny?
2. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
3. What word does Franny say is missing from the vocabulary of the people at college?
4. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
5. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
2. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
3. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
4. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
5. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
6. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
7. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
8. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
9. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
10. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)