|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny tell Zooey of her night with Lane?
(a) It was fun.
(b) She loved the restaurant.
(c) Lane and she admitted their love for each other.
(d) That she ruined it because she could not stop complaining.
2. What poet does Franny love?
(a) Jane Austin.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Gwendolyn Brooks.
(d) Elizabeth Browning.
3. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
(a) "The Pilgrim Continues His Way."
(b) "The Pilgrim Goes to Russia."
(c) "The Pilgrim Goes to Heaven."
(d) "The Pilgrim Finds Salvation."
4. How does Zooey treat Hess when Hess offers him a new script?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is ecstatic.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is rude to him.
5. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
(a) She is sleeping.
(b) She is eating.
(c) She is picking fleas off of the cat.
(d) She is reciting the prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
2. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
3. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
4. What medical problem does Zooey have?
5. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
2. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
3. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
4. Describe the Glass's living room.
5. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
6. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
7. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
8. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
9. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
10. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)