|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
(a) She goes back to the couch to sleep soundly.
(b) She goes to the kitchen for chicken broth.
(c) She goes back to the couch in tears.
(d) She sleeps comfortably in her mother's bed.
2. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
(a) He is bathing.
(b) He is brushing his teeth.
(c) He is filing his nails.
(d) He is shaving.
3. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) If she is listening.
(b) Does she understand?
(c) Does she want to hear more?
(d) Does she believe?
4. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
(a) That it is ridiculous.
(b) He is not trying to stop her from saying it.
(c) That it does not work.
(d) To stop saying it.
5. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His shoe.
(b) His manuscript.
(c) His tweezers.
(d) His toothbrush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
2. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
3. How does Zooey think about Lane?
4. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
5. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
2. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
3. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
4. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
5. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
6. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
7. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
8. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
9. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
10. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)