|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what book of the Bible does the pilgrim find the line, "Pray without ceasing"?
2. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
(a) The crucifixion.
(c) The story of Job.
(d) Jesus saying that people are better than animals.
3. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) His shoe.
(c) His toothbrush.
(d) His tweezers.
4. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) Does she want to hear more?
(b) If she is listening.
(c) Does she believe?
(d) Does she understand?
5. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
(a) Christ Consciousness.
(b) To spread the word of God.
(c) To be a better person.
(d) Biblical understanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
2. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
3. Over the phone, Zooey suggests to Franny that she find her help where?
4. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
5. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
2. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
3. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
4. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
5. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
6. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
7. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
8. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
9. How would you interpret Franny's dream?
10. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)