|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
(a) To spread the word of God.
(b) To be a better person.
(c) Christ Consciousness.
(d) Biblical understanding.
2. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
(a) Her crazy family.
(b) The play that she quit.
(c) A liitle book about a pilgrim.
(d) Her relationship with Lane.
3. What did Seymour use as a motivation for both Buddy and Franny?
(a) A thought of their mother.
(b) A thought of a famous actor.
(c) A thought of the Fat Lady.
(d) A thought of Jesus.
4. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) His shoe.
(c) His toothbrush.
(d) His tweezers.
5. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
(a) She has no need for prayer.
(b) It is not fair to Bessie and Les.
(c) She is being ridiculous.
(d) It is pointless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
2. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
3. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
4. What does Zooey do in Buddy's room?
5. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Glass's living room.
2. Zooey is visibly upset when Bessie mistakenly believes that Franny's little green book came from the college library. Why does this bother Zooey so much?
3. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
4. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
5. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
6. Has Franny resolved her inner conflict by the end of the story?
7. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
8. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
9. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
10. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)