|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
(a) His family is in NY.
(b) It is his hometown.
(c) He is afraid to travel.
(d) He hates every other city.
2. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
(b) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(c) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
(d) That wanting it may make her crazy.
3. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
(a) He feels all that he does is undermine others' work.
(b) He feels everyone in the business is crap.
(c) He believes going to Europe will make him a better actor.
(d) He thinks he is a wonderful actor.
4. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
(a) "You and God."
(b) "God Is My Friend."
(c) "God's Prayer."
(d) "God Is My Hobby."
5. What does Zooey shout at his mother as she leaves the bathroom?
(a) "Get out!"
(b) "It's about time."
(c) "You are stupid and fat!"
(d) "Some exit lines you give yourself, buddy."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
2. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
3. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
4. In what book of the Bible does the pilgrim find the line, "Pray without ceasing"?
5. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
2. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
3. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
4. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
6. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
7. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
8. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
9. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
10. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)