|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
2. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
(a) Christ Consciousness.
(b) To spread the word of God.
(c) Biblical understanding.
(d) To be a better person.
3. How does Zooey think about Lane?
(a) Zooey thinks the relationship is strong.
(b) Zooey thinks Lane is not good for Franny.
(c) Zooey thinks Lane is a charmer and a fake.
(d) Zooey thinks Lane is worried about Franny.
4. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
(a) A happy one.
(b) A perfectly shaped one.
(c) An honorable one like Yorick's.
(d) A buried one.
5. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
(a) Mathematical equations.
(b) Information about Epictetus.
(c) Love poems.
(d) Song lyrics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet does Franny love?
2. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
3. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
4. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
5. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
2. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
3. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
4. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
5. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
6. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
7. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
8. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
9. Describe the Glass's living room.
10. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)