|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) The prayer.
(b) Her dead brother.
(c) Diving into a pool over and over again.
2. What does Zooey tell Franny that he and Buddy did that she was unaware of?
(a) They went to chuch together.
(b) They went and spoke with Lane after first meeting him.
(c) They went to the college to visit her.
(d) They went to see her in summer stock.
3. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(c) Being kind to others.
(d) Reading the Bible.
4. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "Call Buddy."
(b) "I'm sorry."
(d) "Get over it."
5. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
(a) Franny does not really know these people.
(b) Franny does not know what she is talking about.
(c) Franny only sees what she wants.
(d) Franny takes it all too personally.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
2. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
3. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
4. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
5. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
2. Zooey attempts to get through to Franny on many levels. One of them is as a daughter. How so?
3. Zooey is conflicted over his brothers. When his mother continuously mentions Buddy and Seymour, Zooey finally loses his temper. How does Zooey show the darkest side of himself?
4. Describe the Glass's living room.
5. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
6. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
7. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
8. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
9. What metaphor does Salinger use to show how badly Franny received what Zooey had to say concerning the Jesus prayer?
10. How is it ironic that Franny tells Zooey that he is the most unsympathetic person that she has ever known?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)