|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Seymour use as a motivation for both Buddy and Franny?
(a) A thought of Jesus.
(b) A thought of a famous actor.
(c) A thought of the Fat Lady.
(d) A thought of their mother.
2. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
(a) Franny only sees what she wants.
(b) Franny does not know what she is talking about.
(c) Franny does not really know these people.
(d) Franny takes it all too personally.
3. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
(a) An honorable one like Yorick's.
(b) A happy one.
(c) A buried one.
(d) A perfectly shaped one.
4. What does Zooey shout at his mother as she leaves the bathroom?
(a) "It's about time."
(b) "You are stupid and fat!"
(c) "Get out!"
(d) "Some exit lines you give yourself, buddy."
5. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
(a) On a film lot.
(b) With Franny.
(d) At a friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
2. What does Zooey tell Franny he did with Jesus when Zooey was eight-years-old?
3. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
4. How does Zooey think about Lane?
5. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the setting of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom say about their characters?
2. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
3. What does Zooey explain to Franny that he does to other people that drives Zooey crazy?
4. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
5. How does the phone call redeem Zooey?
6. Why is it so odd that the curtains have been removed from the living room?
7. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
8. How does Zooey feel about Lane and why does he feel this way?
9. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
10. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)