|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zooey treat Hess when Hess offers him a new script?
(a) He is rude to him.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is ecstatic.
2. What color is the bathmat?
3. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
(a) It is his hometown.
(b) His family is in NY.
(c) He hates every other city.
(d) He is afraid to travel.
4. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His tweezers.
(b) His toothbrush.
(c) His shoe.
(d) His manuscript.
5. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) If she is listening.
(b) Does she understand?
(c) Does she believe?
(d) Does she want to hear more?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want to get married?
2. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
3. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
4. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
5. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom according to Franny?
2. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
3. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
4. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny about her understanding of Jesus that should prevent her from saying the prayer?
6. What does the setting of the Glasses' living room say about the character of Bessie?
7. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
8. What issue does Bessie have over the way Zooey feels about Lane?
9. Why does Salinger include Bloomberg in the scene between Franny and Zooey?
10. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)