|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was being taken out of the body of the lovely woman in the story told on the plane?
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her liver.
2. What does Les want to give Franny to make things better for her?
(c) A pet.
(d) A tangerine.
3. What does Zooey say about Bessie's interpretation of religion?
(a) Bessie needs to go to church to learn something.
(b) The message of the New Testament is to take shorter baths.
(c) Bessie has no idea what she is talking about.
(d) That Bessie believes the message of the New Testament is an improper diet.
4. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
(a) He left home and was never heard from again.
(b) He became a great actor.
(c) He was killed in WWII.
(d) He married and had children.
5. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
(a) He finds the whole thing amusing.
(b) He is embarrassed.
(c) He is worried about Franny.
(d) He is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Franny keep apologizing at lunch with Lane?
2. Why don't Franny and Lane have dessert?
3. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
4. What grade did Lane get on his paper?
5. When the reader first meets Zooey, what is Zooey doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
2. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
3. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
4. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
5. What kind of a character is Lane?
6. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
7. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
8. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
9. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
10. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)