|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane want to mainly talk about during the lunch with Frannie?
(a) Franny's book.
(b) Franny's father.
(c) Franny's lack of hunger.
(d) A paper he wrote.
2. How does Lane feel about the grade he received on his paper?
(a) He is happy with it.
(b) He is unimpressed.
(c) He wanted a better grade.
(d) It makes him angry.
3. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
(a) She will say the prayer for as long as it takes to see if it is true.
(b) She believes that many advanced religious persons say it is true.
(c) She believes without a doubt that it works.
(d) She thinks it will only work for true believers.
4. How old was Zooey when Seymour died?
5. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
(a) She should stop obsessing over the prayer.
(b) She should eat.
(c) She looks pale.
(d) He tells her he loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
2. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
3. What is Franny drinking at lunch with Lane?
4. What time of year is it?
5. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
2. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
3. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
4. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
5. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
6. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
7. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
8. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
9. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
10. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)