|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
(a) She was thrilled with the play.
(b) She quit the play and the class.
(c) She thought the role was stupid.
(d) She was taking a short break from the play.
2. Why doesn't Buddy go home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) He lives too far away.
(c) He can't face his mother.
(d) He is too sad.
3. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
(a) He thinks it is stupid.
(b) He wants to begin praying immediately.
(c) He says that it is interesting.
(d) He tells Franny to stop talking about it.
4. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
(a) A cheeseburger.
(b) Grilled cheese.
5. For lunch, what does Franny order?
(a) Another martini.
(b) A chicken sandwich and milk.
(d) Frogs' legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
2. How old was Franny when Seymour died?
3. What should poets leave behind according to Franny?
4. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
5. In diagnosing herself, Franny claims that her problem involves all of the below answers EXCEPT which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
2. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
3. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
4. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
5. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
6. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
7. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
8. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
9. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
10. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)