|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of year is it?
2. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
(a) She looks pale.
(b) He tells her he loves her.
(c) She should stop obsessing over the prayer.
(d) She should eat.
3. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
(a) He would be too demanding.
(b) He can't memorize lines.
(c) Nothing, he believes Zooey will be great.
(d) He is no good at it.
4. What does Bessie continuously do while talking to Zooey?
(a) She bites her fingernails.
(b) She folds towels.
(c) She smokes.
(d) She pulls junk out of her big pockets.
5. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
(a) He tells Franny to stop talking about it.
(b) He thinks it is stupid.
(c) He says that it is interesting.
(d) He wants to begin praying immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
2. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
3. How is Zooey related to Franny?
4. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
5. What is happening to Franny's forehead while she is having lunch with Lane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
2. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
3. What theme of the novel is suggested by the quotations on the door of Buddy and Seymour's bedroom?
4. Why does Bessie ask Zooey's opinion about whether she should call her son the priest to help Franny when Zooey treats his mother the way that he does?
5. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
6. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
7. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
8. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
9. How does Franny react when Zooey tells her that she is a hypocrite because she too is seeking treasure?
10. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)