|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
(a) The person dies.
(b) That person gets to see God.
(c) The person has heart trouble.
2. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
(a) Too much education.
(b) Crazy parents.
(c) The radio show.
(d) The age differences.
3. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
(a) "Precocious Children."
(b) "Wise Ones."
(c) "Questions for Wise Children."
(d) "It's A Wise Child."
4. How would Seymour react if he knew Buddy was lecturing Zooey about acting and his education?
(a) Seymour would be angry.
(b) Seymour would not care.
(c) Seymour would be frightened.
(d) Seymour would be smiling.
5. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
(a) At the dinner table.
(b) In the living room.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) In Zooey's bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
2. How old was Franny when Seymour died?
3. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
4. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
5. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
2. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
3. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
4. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
5. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
6. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
7. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
8. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
9. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
10. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)