|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
(a) Get out to the bathtub.
(b) Wash his hair.
(c) Use the bathmat.
2. Where are the two meeting?
(a) The subway station.
(b) A bus station.
(c) A train station.
(d) The airport.
3. What became of Seymour?
(a) He became a two-bit actor.
(b) He died in an accident.
(c) He married and had children.
(d) He committed suicide.
4. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
(a) It is the "in" place for college intellectuals.
(b) They love the food.
(c) There was nowhere else to go.
(d) It is their favorite restaurant.
5. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(b) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
(c) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
(d) "Which letter?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane want to mainly talk about during the lunch with Frannie?
2. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
3. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
4. In the book that Franny is reading, after the pilgrim learns what he is seeking, what does he do next?
5. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zooey and Franny become freaks in Zooey's eyes?
2. Zooey finally confronts Franny about the Jesus prayer. He points out she is being hypocritical. How so?
3. Once Zooey arrives at Buddy's phone, he puts himself in "the ready position." What is he readying himself for?
4. Explain in detail the significance of the Fat Lady.
5. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
6. Why is Zooey so upset that Dick came to town and wanted Zooey to go out for drinks with him?
7. What is Bessie saying about her relationship with her children when she states to Zooey that when they were little they were so happy and smart--"just lovely"?
8. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
9. What is Zooey's opinion of psychoanalysts and Franny?
10. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)