|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
(a) Her English department has the best professors.
(b) Someone might overhear her.
(c) She doesn't know what she is talking about.
(d) He believes her school has the two best poets.
2. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) Ten years.
(b) One year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six months.
3. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
(a) A letter.
(b) A gun.
(c) A haiku poem.
4. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
(a) He can't memorize lines.
(b) He is no good at it.
(c) Nothing, he believes Zooey will be great.
(d) He would be too demanding.
5. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He ignores her and eats his food.
(b) He continuously interrupts her.
(c) He continues eating, yet he listens.
(d) He listens wholeheartedly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
2. How does Franny get to the restaurant manager's office?
3. What does Bessie say about her children when the chips are down?
4. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
5. How old was Zooey when Seymour died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
2. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
3. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
4. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
5. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
6. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
7. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
8. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
9. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
10. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)