|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her fingers.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her legs.
2. How does Franny get to the restaurant manager's office?
(a) She crawls there after collapsing.
(b) She chooses the wrong door.
(c) She walks into it to speak with him.
(d) The bartender and Lane carry her.
3. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Read it over.
(c) Rewrite it.
(d) Publish it.
4. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
(a) Buddy refuses to have a phone.
(b) Buddy lives far away.
(c) Buddy won't help Franny.
(d) Buddy never comes home.
5. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He continuously interrupts her.
(b) He ignores her and eats his food.
(c) He continues eating, yet he listens.
(d) He listens wholeheartedly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
2. What year is it when Zooey and Bessie are talking in the bathroom?
3. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
4. What does Bessie wear while at home?
5. What does Zooey say is his Achilles' heel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
2. What kind of a character is Lane?
3. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
4. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
5. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
6. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
7. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
8. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
9. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
10. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)