|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Franny drinking at lunch with Lane?
2. What does Bessie continuously do while talking to Zooey?
(a) She pulls junk out of her big pockets.
(b) She bites her fingernails.
(c) She folds towels.
(d) She smokes.
3. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
(a) He tells her he loves her.
(b) She should stop obsessing over the prayer.
(c) She looks pale.
(d) She should eat.
4. In diagnosing herself, Franny claims that her problem involves all of the below answers EXCEPT which one?
(a) She is physically ill.
(b) She is an egomaniac.
(c) She is going insane.
(d) She hates herself.
5. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is embarrassed.
(c) He finds the whole thing amusing.
(d) He is worried about Franny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zooey say Bessie should invite to join them in the bathroom?
2. Seymour and Buddy believed that education should start with what?
3. What profession was Bessie in when she was younger?
4. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
5. Who is Bloomberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
2. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
3. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
4. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
5. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
6. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
7. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
8. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
9. Salinger has Buddy begin the Zooey chapter of the book although Zooey himself will continue the story. Why might Salinger use the character of Buddy when he is not physically there when Franny has her breakdown?
10. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)