|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
(a) He is worried about Franny.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He finds the whole thing amusing.
2. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
(a) She will say the prayer for as long as it takes to see if it is true.
(b) She believes that many advanced religious persons say it is true.
(c) She believes without a doubt that it works.
(d) She thinks it will only work for true believers.
3. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
(a) At the dinner table.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In Zooey's bedroom.
(d) In the living room.
4. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
(a) He married and had children.
(b) He was killed in WWII.
(c) He became a great actor.
(d) He left home and was never heard from again.
5. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
(a) A haiku poem.
(c) A gun.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the letter, Buddy tells Zooey to do what?
2. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
3. In diagnosing herself, Franny claims that her problem involves all of the below answers EXCEPT which one?
4. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
5. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
2. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
3. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
4. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
5. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
6. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
7. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
8. Salinger has Buddy begin the Zooey chapter of the book although Zooey himself will continue the story. Why might Salinger use the character of Buddy when he is not physically there when Franny has her breakdown?
9. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
10. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)