|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
(a) Nothing, he believes Zooey will be great.
(b) He can't memorize lines.
(c) He is no good at it.
(d) He would be too demanding.
2. What does Zooey say about Bessie's interpretation of religion?
(a) Bessie needs to go to church to learn something.
(b) The message of the New Testament is to take shorter baths.
(c) That Bessie believes the message of the New Testament is an improper diet.
(d) Bessie has no idea what she is talking about.
3. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
(a) She should eat.
(b) She should stop obsessing over the prayer.
(c) She looks pale.
(d) He tells her he loves her.
4. In diagnosing herself, Franny claims that her problem involves all of the below answers EXCEPT which one?
(a) She hates herself.
(b) She is an egomaniac.
(c) She is physically ill.
(d) She is going insane.
5. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(b) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
(c) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
(d) "Which letter?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
2. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
3. How does Lane feel when he gets his first drink at the restaurant?
4. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
5. Lane tells Franny that it has been a month since they last did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
2. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
3. Salinger has Buddy begin the Zooey chapter of the book although Zooey himself will continue the story. Why might Salinger use the character of Buddy when he is not physically there when Franny has her breakdown?
4. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
5. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
6. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
7. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
8. Why is Lane angry that he received an "A" on his paper?
9. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
10. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)