|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
(a) She drank too many martinis.
(b) Her food has made her ill.
(c) She is about to cry.
(d) She needs a moment away from Lane.
2. How does Bessie describe the title of Zooey's manuscript?
(b) As unusual.
3. What does Zooey say is his Achilles' heel?
(b) He is sensitive to beauty.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His looks.
4. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "Which letter?"
(b) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
(c) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(d) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
5. How long is it before Franny and Lane arrive at the restaurant from the time they got in the cab?
(a) Three hours.
(b) A half hour later.
(c) Two hours.
(d) About an hour later.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
2. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
3. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
4. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
5. What time of year is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
2. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
3. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
4. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
5. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
6. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
7. Salinger has Buddy begin the Zooey chapter of the book although Zooey himself will continue the story. Why might Salinger use the character of Buddy when he is not physically there when Franny has her breakdown?
8. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
9. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
10. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)