|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Franny keep apologizing at lunch with Lane?
(a) She is in a bad mood.
(b) She hates frog legs.
(c) She leaves the table many times.
(d) She has hurt Lane's feelings.
2. What is Franny drinking at lunch with Lane?
3. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
4. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
(a) Happy she is gone.
(b) The weekend is not looking good.
5. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
(a) They allow the servants to eat with them every night.
(b) They spread the word of God.
(c) They took good care of the pilgrim.
(d) They love each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
2. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
3. In the book that Franny is reading, after the pilgrim learns what he is seeking, what does he do next?
4. Who is Bloomberg?
5. What does Bessie wear while at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
2. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
3. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
4. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
5. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
6. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
7. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
8. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
9. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
10. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)