|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
(a) She quit the play and the class.
(b) She thought the role was stupid.
(c) She was taking a short break from the play.
(d) She was thrilled with the play.
2. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
(b) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(c) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
(d) "Which letter?"
3. What does Zooey say is his Achilles' heel?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) He is sensitive to beauty.
(d) His looks.
4. How does Bessie describe the title of Zooey's manuscript?
(c) As unusual.
5. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
(b) A cheeseburger.
(d) Grilled cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Franny tells Lane that he is "talking like a section man," what does she mean by the term "section man"?
2. How long is it before Franny and Lane arrive at the restaurant from the time they got in the cab?
3. What does Buddy apologize in the letter for doing to Zooey and Franny?
4. Who does Zooey say Bessie should invite to join them in the bathroom?
5. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
2. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
3. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
4. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
5. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
6. While in the bathroom, how does Zooey treat Bessie?
7. Why has Franny left her acting troupe?
8. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
9. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
10. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)