|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Zooey say Bessie should invite to join them in the bathroom?
(a) The painters.
(b) The girls from the school across the street.
2. What does Franny wish was underneath her chair?
(a) A trapdoor.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A warm sweater.
(d) A napkin.
3. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
(a) "Wise Ones."
(b) "It's A Wise Child."
(c) "Precocious Children."
(d) "Questions for Wise Children."
4. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
(a) In a dorm room with other girls.
(b) In a dorm room with Lane.
(c) In a hotel with Lane.
(d) In a room with two girls she does not know.
5. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
(a) Buddy lives far away.
(b) Buddy never comes home.
(c) Buddy won't help Franny.
(d) Buddy refuses to have a phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
2. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
3. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
4. For lunch, what does Franny order?
5. What grade did Lane get on his paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right from the start, Franny and Lane do not seem to be a couple who are dedicated to each other or their relationship. How is this shown though characterization in the opening pages leading to the point where Franny excuses herself to the ladies' room?
2. Through Bessie's dialogue, the reader can infer why Buddy does not own a phone. Why is that?
3. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
4. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
5. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
6. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
7. Salinger has Buddy begin the Zooey chapter of the book although Zooey himself will continue the story. Why might Salinger use the character of Buddy when he is not physically there when Franny has her breakdown?
8. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
9. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
10. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)