|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The pilgrim in the book that Franny has been reading is searching for what?
(a) A better life.
(b) A way to pray incessantly.
2. Buddy tells Zooey that if Zooey performs beautifully on stage, Buddy do will do what?
(a) Buddy will get Seymour to be an actor.
(b) Buddy will get him a bigger role.
(c) He and Seymour will rent tuxedos and hats and come to the stage.
(d) Buddy will watch every show Zooey performs in after that.
3. How old was Franny when Seymour died?
4. Where does Franny excuse herself to at SIcklers?
(a) The table where the girls are that she will stay with.
(c) The bar.
(d) The bathroom.
5. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
(b) Use the bathmat.
(c) Wash his hair.
(d) Get out to the bathtub.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
2. What did Seymour tell Buddy was his "wooden leg"?
3. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
4. How does Lane feel about the grade he received on his paper?
5. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
2. Why does Zooey place the letter on the edge of the tub and play with it?
3. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
4. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
5. Franny calls Lane a "section man." What is a section man and what does she mean by it?
6. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
7. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
8. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
9. Salinger describes the look on Bessie's face right before she leaves the bathroom for the first time that Zooey can not see. What does the look say about the depth of her character?
10. Lane speaks of two poets who teach at Franny's school that he wishes were at his school. Franny says that they are not real poets. What does she mean?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)