|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
(a) The weekend is not looking good.
(d) Happy she is gone.
2. What was being taken out of the body of the lovely woman in the story told on the plane?
(a) Her heart.
(d) Her liver.
3. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
4. Why does Franny keep apologizing at lunch with Lane?
(a) She has hurt Lane's feelings.
(b) She is in a bad mood.
(c) She hates frog legs.
(d) She leaves the table many times.
5. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(c) Zen and Buddhism.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
2. Seymour and Buddy believed that education should start with what?
3. What is Franny drinking at lunch with Lane?
4. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
5. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
2. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
3. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
4. Salinger has Buddy begin the Zooey chapter of the book although Zooey himself will continue the story. Why might Salinger use the character of Buddy when he is not physically there when Franny has her breakdown?
5. What kind of a character is Lane?
6. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
7. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
8. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
9. Why does Salinger take the time to list the many items in the medicine cabinet?
10. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)