|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bessie continuously do while talking to Zooey?
(a) She pulls junk out of her big pockets.
(b) She smokes.
(c) She folds towels.
(d) She bites her fingernails.
2. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
(a) She chain smokes.
(b) She keeps telling Lane to eat his snails.
(c) She takes continuous sips of her drink.
(d) She continuously taps on the table.
3. What becomes of Franny's sandwich?
(a) Lane eats it.
(b) Franny eats it.
(c) It falls on the floor.
(d) The waiter takes it away uneaten.
4. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
5. When the pilgrim first begins saying the prayer, what is he using?
(a) His lips only.
(b) His heart and his lips.
(c) His mind.
(d) His heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
2. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
3. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
4. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
5. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
2. How does Franny feel as she tells Lane about the story of the pilgrim?
3. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
4. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
5. When Franny tells Lane that she believes she is going crazy, do you feel that she is serious?
6. Zooey lashes out at Bessie over Bessie's concern for Franny's lack of appetite. What is it that Zooey tells Bessie she is missing by worrying over food?
7. When Buddy writes of Seymour's suicide, he says that " I can't be running back and forth forever between grief and high delight." What anecdote does he use to explain this and what does Buddy mean by it?
8. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
9. Why does Franny dislike Wally Campbell?
10. After Franny leaves for the restroom, Lane evaluates his situation. What does he discover, and what does it say about his relationship with Franny?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)