|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
(a) The radio show.
(b) The age differences.
(c) Too much education.
(d) Crazy parents.
2. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
(a) Franny's breakdown.
(b) Bessie's letter.
(c) The death of their brother.
(d) Two young girls.
3. What grade did Lane get on his paper?
(a) A "C."
(b) A "B."
(c) An "A."
(d) An "F."
4. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
(a) She keeps telling Lane to eat his snails.
(b) She continuously taps on the table.
(c) She takes continuous sips of her drink.
(d) She chain smokes.
5. When the reader first meets Zooey, what is Zooey doing?
(a) Speaking with his mother.
(b) Rehearsing his lines.
(c) Reading a script.
(d) Reading a letter while bathing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zooey say is his Achilles' heel?
2. Why does Franny keep apologizing at lunch with Lane?
3. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
4. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
5. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the reason be for Franny breaking down in the bathroom instead of with the boy she claims to love.
2. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
3. Zooey is described as being beautiful. Why did Salinger create him that way?
4. Franny calls Lane a "section man." What is a section man and what does she mean by it?
5. What are the main topics that Buddy writes to Zooey about?
6. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
7. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
8. How does the concept of the Glass children being on the radio show add to the depth of the story?
9. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
10. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)