|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny wish was underneath her chair?
(a) A trapdoor.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A napkin.
(d) A warm sweater.
2. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
3. What should poets leave behind according to Franny?
(b) Something beautiful.
(c) Many poems.
(d) Poetry books.
4. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
(a) Use the bathmat.
(b) Wash his hair.
(c) Get out to the bathtub.
5. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He listens wholeheartedly.
(b) He continues eating, yet he listens.
(c) He continuously interrupts her.
(d) He ignores her and eats his food.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
2. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
3. What does Bessie continuously do while talking to Zooey?
4. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
5. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Buddy and Seymour decide to conduct metaphysical seminars with their younger siblings?
2. Why does Franny hesitate to tell Lane anything about the book she is carrying?
3. How do Zooey and Buddy handle the suicide of Seymour?
4. Why is the reader told that the restaurant is for intellectual types.
5. What does Bessie's attire say about her character?
6. What themes are brought up by Buddy's letter?
7. When the reader first meets Franny, she seems flighty. How so?
8. How does Bessie view Les as inept?
9. What does Franny explain to Lane about competing?
10. What is the idea behind the Jesus prayer as explained by Franny to Lane?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)