|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
(c) Sporting equipment.
2. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) The prayer.
(c) Her dead brother.
(d) Diving into a pool over and over again.
3. Over the phone, Zooey suggests to Franny that she find her help where?
(a) With Lane.
(b) In the Bible.
(c) By going to see Buddy.
(d) In her own home.
4. What was the one idea that Jesus absolutely knew that often eludes people, according to Zooey?
(a) That man is innately good.
(b) That he will forgive our sins.
(c) That the kingdom of heaven is within us.
(d) That he died for us.
5. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
(b) Jesus saying that people are better than animals.
(c) The story of Job.
(d) The crucifixion.
6. What does Zooey shout at his mother as she leaves the bathroom?
(a) "Some exit lines you give yourself, buddy."
(b) "You are stupid and fat!"
(c) "Get out!"
(d) "It's about time."
7. What poet does Franny love?
(a) Elizabeth Browning.
(b) Gwendolyn Brooks.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Jane Austin.
8. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(a) Being kind to others.
(d) Reading the Bible.
9. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
(a) Franny does not know what she is talking about.
(b) Franny only sees what she wants.
(c) Franny does not really know these people.
(d) Franny takes it all too personally.
10. How does Zooey think about Lane?
(a) Zooey thinks Lane is a charmer and a fake.
(b) Zooey thinks the relationship is strong.
(c) Zooey thinks Lane is not good for Franny.
(d) Zooey thinks Lane is worried about Franny.
11. In what book of the Bible does the pilgrim find the line, "Pray without ceasing"?
12. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
(b) They are both bothered about things and can't keep quiet about it.
(c) Their ideas about religion.
(d) Their ideas about acting.
13. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
(a) It is dark and gloomy.
(b) It is stuffed with furnishings.
(c) The walls are covered with documents.
(d) It is lined with bookshelves.
14. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
15. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
(a) Franny's brother Buddy.
(b) Franny's brother Seymour.
(c) Bishop Pinchot
(d) Franny's brother Waker, the priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
2. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
3. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
4. Zooey says that people who use their egos to get ahead cannot possibly have what?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny that he and Buddy did that she was unaware of?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)