|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
(a) He is angry at Franny for her troubles.
(b) He is angry at Bessie and Les for playing the piano for Franny.
(c) He is angry that Franny won't eat.
(d) He is angry about having to go out for a drink.
2. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
3. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
(a) She does not do it wholeheartedly.
(b) It gives him the creeps.
(c) Seymour used to smile at him.
(d) Her smile is crooked.
4. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His tweezers.
(b) His toothbrush.
(c) His shoe.
(d) His manuscript.
5. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
(a) Their ideas about acting.
(b) They are both bothered about things and can't keep quiet about it.
(c) Their ideas about religion.
6. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
(a) Christ Consciousness.
(b) Biblical understanding.
(c) To spread the word of God.
(d) To be a better person.
7. After Zooey upsets Franny, what is she trying to get him to do?
(a) Shut up.
(b) Feed the fish.
(c) Feed her.
(d) Leave the room.
8. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
(a) To get better grades in school.
(b) To make the mean, bad people in her world go away.
(c) To cleanse her of her sins.
(d) To become a better actress.
9. What color is the bathmat?
10. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
(a) He feels everyone in the business is crap.
(b) He feels all that he does is undermine others' work.
(c) He thinks he is a wonderful actor.
(d) He believes going to Europe will make him a better actor.
11. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
(a) Professor Tupper.
(b) Her dead brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother the priest.
12. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
(a) Her brother the priest.
(b) A psychoanalyst.
(c) Her brother Seymour.
13. What does Zooey do in Buddy's room?
(a) He makes a phone call.
(b) He changes his shirt.
(c) He reads his script.
(d) He writes a letter.
14. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) Her dead brother.
(b) Diving into a pool over and over again.
(d) The prayer.
15. Zooey says that people who use their egos to get ahead cannot possibly have what?
(c) Much money.
(d) Good jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zooey believe that the prayer will never work for Franny?
2. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
3. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
4. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
5. What word does Franny say is missing from the vocabulary of the people at college?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)