|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Being kind to others.
2. Why did Seymour tell Zooey to shine his shoes for the radio show?
(a) It was required.
(b) Seymour liked shiny shoes.
(c) He was teaching Zooey to always do and look his best.
(d) His father always did it.
3. What medical problem does Zooey have?
(b) A heart murmur.
(c) High blood pressure.
(d) An ulcer.
4. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) Does she want to hear more?
(b) Does she understand?
(c) Does she believe?
(d) If she is listening.
5. How does Zooey describe Jesus?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As the most intelligent man in the Bible.
(c) As warm.
(d) As a great prophet.
6. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
7. What poet does Franny love?
(a) Jane Austin.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Gwendolyn Brooks.
(d) Elizabeth Browning.
8. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) The prayer.
(b) Diving into a pool over and over again.
(d) Her dead brother.
9. Zooey says that people who use their egos to get ahead cannot possibly have what?
(a) Good jobs.
(d) Much money.
10. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
(a) She says he is mean.
(b) She says he is happy.
(c) She says he is bitter.
(d) She says he is helpful.
11. Over the phone, Zooey suggests to Franny that she find her help where?
(a) By going to see Buddy.
(b) In her own home.
(c) In the Bible.
(d) With Lane.
12. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
(a) He feels all that he does is undermine others' work.
(b) He believes going to Europe will make him a better actor.
(c) He thinks he is a wonderful actor.
(d) He feels everyone in the business is crap.
13. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
(a) He is angry at Franny for her troubles.
(b) He is angry about having to go out for a drink.
(c) He is angry that Franny won't eat.
(d) He is angry at Bessie and Les for playing the piano for Franny.
14. What does Zooey do in Buddy's room?
(a) He changes his shirt.
(b) He writes a letter.
(c) He makes a phone call.
(d) He reads his script.
15. What word does Franny say is missing from the vocabulary of the people at college?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
2. What role does Dick Hess want Zooey to play?
3. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
4. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
5. Why doesn't Zooey want to get married?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)