|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
(a) The water needs to be changed.
(b) They have mulitplied.
(c) That someone is always killing them off.
(d) They need to be fed.
2. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
(a) A wonderful college professor of Zooey's.
(c) Franny's college friends.
3. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
(a) The walls are covered with documents.
(b) It is dark and gloomy.
(c) It is stuffed with furnishings.
(d) It is lined with bookshelves.
4. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(b) Intelligent people.
(d) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
5. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
(a) He explained why Zooey smokes cigars.
(b) He said that Zooey did not know what he was talking about.
(c) He said that Zooey was destructive.
(d) He said that Zooey was a lunatic.
6. Who does Zooey say that Franny should act for?
(d) The audience.
7. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is smiling slightly.
(b) She is sitting up staring into space.
(c) She is feeling better.
(d) She is sobbing.
8. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
(a) A four-story private school.
(b) A church.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A four-story apartment building.
9. What does Zooey tell Franny he did with Jesus when Zooey was eight-years-old?
(a) He went to church with him.
(b) He broke bread with him.
(c) He had a glass of ginger ale with him.
(d) He acted in a scene with him.
10. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
(a) Franny only sees what she wants.
(b) Franny does not really know these people.
(c) Franny takes it all too personally.
(d) Franny does not know what she is talking about.
11. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
(a) He is angry that Franny won't eat.
(b) He is angry at Bessie and Les for playing the piano for Franny.
(c) He is angry at Franny for her troubles.
(d) He is angry about having to go out for a drink.
12. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
(a) A strong church.
(c) Time and dedication.
(d) A good priest.
13. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
(a) He is brushing his teeth.
(b) He is bathing.
(c) He is filing his nails.
(d) He is shaving.
14. What word does Franny say is missing from the vocabulary of the people at college?
15. Why does Franny believe that Professor Tupper detests her?
(a) She does not agree with his religious beliefs.
(b) She told him he has no enthusiasm.
(c) She only attends class occasionally.
(d) She never smiles at him when he is being charming.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
2. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
3. Why did Franny move out of her room at college?
4. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
5. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)