|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
(b) Their ideas about religion.
(c) Their ideas about acting.
(d) They are both bothered about things and can't keep quiet about it.
2. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In Buddy's room.
(c) In her mother's bedroom.
(d) In the bathroom.
3. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They rarely have conversations.
(b) They don't talk, they expound.
(c) They are too smart for others.
(d) They don't like to talk.
4. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(b) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
(d) Intelligent people.
5. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
(a) "You and God."
(b) "God Is My Friend."
(c) "God's Prayer."
(d) "God Is My Hobby."
6. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
(a) The walls are covered with documents.
(b) It is stuffed with furnishings.
(c) It is lined with bookshelves.
(d) It is dark and gloomy.
7. Zooey says that people who use their egos to get ahead cannot possibly have what?
(c) Good jobs.
(d) Much money.
8. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
(a) He believes Franny will get past this on her own.
(b) He believes only Franny's family can help her.
(c) He fears that it will send Franny over the edge.
(d) He hates all psychoanalysts.
9. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
(d) Smart and happy.
10. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She becomes very worried for Franny.
(c) She wonders if Franny is searching for the prayer.
(d) She wants Franny to see a priest.
11. What is the third eye?
12. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) His back.
(b) The way he shaves.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His socks.
13. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it may make her crazy.
(b) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
(c) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(d) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
14. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) The prayer.
(b) Diving into a pool over and over again.
(c) Her dead brother.
15. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
(a) "The Pilgrim Continues His Way."
(b) "The Pilgrim Goes to Russia."
(c) "The Pilgrim Goes to Heaven."
(d) "The Pilgrim Finds Salvation."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
2. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
3. Why doesn't Zooey want to get married?
4. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
5. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)