|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zooey think about Lane?
(a) Zooey thinks the relationship is strong.
(b) Zooey thinks Lane is a charmer and a fake.
(c) Zooey thinks Lane is worried about Franny.
(d) Zooey thinks Lane is not good for Franny.
2. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
(a) He hates every other city.
(b) His family is in NY.
(c) It is his hometown.
(d) He is afraid to travel.
3. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
(a) A church.
(b) A four-story apartment building.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A four-story private school.
4. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His tweezers.
(b) His shoe.
(c) His toothbrush.
(d) His manuscript.
5. What was the film about that Zooey made with Dick Hess?
(a) A farmer who moves to the city.
(b) A drunk.
(c) A romance of a young man falling in love.
(d) A dancer.
6. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(a) Being kind to others.
(d) Reading the Bible.
7. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) The way he shaves.
(b) His socks.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His back.
8. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) Does she believe?
(b) If she is listening.
(c) Does she understand?
(d) Does she want to hear more?
9. What are chakras?
(a) People who pray.
(b) Musical instruments.
(d) The seven subtle centers in the body.
10. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
(b) Drinking chicken soup.
(d) Sharing the Bible.
11. What medical problem does Zooey have?
(a) A heart murmur.
(b) An ulcer.
(c) High blood pressure.
12. In Zooey's words, what is the one aim of the Jesus Prayer?
(a) Biblical understanding.
(b) To be a better person.
(c) To spread the word of God.
(d) Christ Consciousness.
13. What does Zooey say is odd about Franny's breakdown?
(a) She decides to sleep on the couch.
(b) She can't explain it.
(c) It isn't real.
(d) She chooses the place to have it.
14. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
(a) She says he is mean.
(b) She says he is happy.
(c) She says he is bitter.
(d) She says he is helpful.
15. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
(a) The story of Job.
(c) Jesus saying that people are better than animals.
(d) The crucifixion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Franny move out of her room at college?
2. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
3. What did Seymour use as a motivation for both Buddy and Franny?
4. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
5. What does Zooey tell Franny he did with Jesus when Zooey was eight-years-old?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)