|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
(a) She yelled at herself out loud with a threat.
(b) She spoke to Seymour.
(c) She began taking medication.
(d) She kicked herself.
2. Who does Zooey say that Franny should act for?
(b) The audience.
3. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is smiling slightly.
(b) She is feeling better.
(c) She is sitting up staring into space.
(d) She is sobbing.
4. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
(a) She goes back to the couch to sleep soundly.
(b) She sleeps comfortably in her mother's bed.
(c) She goes to the kitchen for chicken broth.
(d) She goes back to the couch in tears.
5. What does Franny say that she and Zooey have in common?
(b) Their ideas about religion.
(c) They are both bothered about things and can't keep quiet about it.
(d) Their ideas about acting.
6. How does Zooey think about Lane?
(a) Zooey thinks Lane is a charmer and a fake.
(b) Zooey thinks Lane is not good for Franny.
(c) Zooey thinks the relationship is strong.
(d) Zooey thinks Lane is worried about Franny.
7. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
(a) A picture of Jesus.
(b) Quotations from a variety of world literature.
(c) Awards from the television show he was in as a child.
(d) Quotations from the Bible.
8. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
(a) Be under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
(b) Keep saying the prayer.
(c) Find a monk.
(d) Find a good church to go to.
9. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
(a) He believes Franny will get past this on her own.
(b) He believes only Franny's family can help her.
(c) He fears that it will send Franny over the edge.
(d) He hates all psychoanalysts.
10. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
(b) Franny's college friends.
(c) A wonderful college professor of Zooey's.
11. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
(a) She is sleeping.
(b) She is reciting the prayer.
(c) She is eating.
(d) She is picking fleas off of the cat.
12. Why did Franny move out of her room at college?
(a) She kept picking on her roommate.
(b) She disliked her roommate.
(c) The cat was bothering her.
(d) Too much noise.
13. Why does Zooey believe that the prayer will never work for Franny?
(a) She is too shallow.
(b) She doesn't believe in Jesus.
(c) She doesn't follow through with things she chooses to do.
(d) She believes that even Jesus should be perfect.
14. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(b) "Get over it."
(c) "I'm sorry."
(d) "Call Buddy."
15. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
(b) Time and dedication.
(c) A strong church.
(d) A good priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
2. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
3. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
4. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
5. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)