|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
(b) Drinking chicken soup.
(c) Sharing the Bible.
2. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
(a) He believes only Franny's family can help her.
(b) He fears that it will send Franny over the edge.
(c) He believes Franny will get past this on her own.
(d) He hates all psychoanalysts.
3. What does Zooey tell Franny he did with Jesus when Zooey was eight-years-old?
(a) He broke bread with him.
(b) He had a glass of ginger ale with him.
(c) He acted in a scene with him.
(d) He went to church with him.
4. What word does Franny say is missing from the vocabulary of the people at college?
5. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
(a) It is dark and gloomy.
(b) The walls are covered with documents.
(c) It is stuffed with furnishings.
(d) It is lined with bookshelves.
6. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
(a) She says he is bitter.
(b) She says he is happy.
(c) She says he is mean.
(d) She says he is helpful.
7. How does Zooey describe Jesus?
(a) As a great prophet.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As warm.
(d) As the most intelligent man in the Bible.
8. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
(a) Sporting equipment.
9. What is the third eye?
10. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) Her dead brother.
(b) Diving into a pool over and over again.
(d) The prayer.
11. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
(a) Her brother the priest.
(b) Professor Tupper.
(c) Her dead brother.
(d) Her father.
12. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A bishop.
(b) A monk.
(c) A priest.
(d) A nun.
13. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "I'm sorry."
(c) "Get over it."
(d) "Call Buddy."
14. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
(a) At a friends.
(b) With Franny.
(d) On a film lot.
15. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
(a) Be under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
(b) Find a good church to go to.
(c) Keep saying the prayer.
(d) Find a monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
2. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
3. What does Zooey say is odd about Franny's breakdown?
4. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
5. What poet does Franny love?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)