|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
(a) They have mulitplied.
(b) The water needs to be changed.
(c) They need to be fed.
(d) That someone is always killing them off.
2. What was the one idea that Jesus absolutely knew that often eludes people, according to Zooey?
(a) That he will forgive our sins.
(b) That he died for us.
(c) That the kingdom of heaven is within us.
(d) That man is innately good.
3. What does Zooey say is odd about Franny's breakdown?
(a) She decides to sleep on the couch.
(b) She can't explain it.
(c) She chooses the place to have it.
(d) It isn't real.
4. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(b) Intelligent people.
(c) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
5. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
(a) "The Pilgrim Finds Salvation."
(b) "The Pilgrim Continues His Way."
(c) "The Pilgrim Goes to Russia."
(d) "The Pilgrim Goes to Heaven."
6. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is feeling better.
(b) She is sobbing.
(c) She is sitting up staring into space.
(d) She is smiling slightly.
7. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
(a) The walls are covered with documents.
(b) It is stuffed with furnishings.
(c) It is lined with bookshelves.
(d) It is dark and gloomy.
8. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
(a) He is not trying to stop her from saying it.
(b) That it is ridiculous.
(c) To stop saying it.
(d) That it does not work.
9. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) Does she believe?
(b) Does she understand?
(c) Does she want to hear more?
(d) If she is listening.
10. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(b) Being kind to others.
(d) Reading the Bible.
11. Why does Franny believe that Professor Tupper detests her?
(a) She only attends class occasionally.
(b) She told him he has no enthusiasm.
(c) She does not agree with his religious beliefs.
(d) She never smiles at him when he is being charming.
12. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
(a) He believes only Franny's family can help her.
(b) He believes Franny will get past this on her own.
(c) He hates all psychoanalysts.
(d) He fears that it will send Franny over the edge.
13. Where is Zooey going to have lunch on the afternoon of his long bath?
(a) With Franny.
(b) At a friends.
(c) On a film lot.
14. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
(a) He is angry at Franny for her troubles.
(b) He is angry at Bessie and Les for playing the piano for Franny.
(c) He is angry that Franny won't eat.
(d) He is angry about having to go out for a drink.
15. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
(a) Her brother Seymour.
(b) A psychoanalyst.
(c) Her brother the priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
2. What medical problem does Zooey have?
3. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
4. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
5. What does Zooey do in Buddy's room?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)