|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
(a) A perfectly shaped one.
(b) A happy one.
(c) A buried one.
(d) An honorable one like Yorick's.
2. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
(a) He said that Zooey was a lunatic.
(b) He said that Zooey did not know what he was talking about.
(c) He explained why Zooey smokes cigars.
(d) He said that Zooey was destructive.
3. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
4. After Zooey upsets Franny, what is she trying to get him to do?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Feed the fish.
(c) Shut up.
(d) Feed her.
5. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
(b) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(c) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
(d) That wanting it may make her crazy.
6. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(b) Intelligent people.
(d) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
7. What is on the back of Buddy's bedroom door?
(a) Quotations from the Bible.
(b) A picture of Jesus.
(c) Quotations from a variety of world literature.
(d) Awards from the television show he was in as a child.
8. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
(a) Be under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
(b) Find a monk.
(c) Keep saying the prayer.
(d) Find a good church to go to.
9. What was the film about that Zooey made with Dick Hess?
(a) A drunk.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A romance of a young man falling in love.
(d) A farmer who moves to the city.
10. What does Zooey do in Buddy's room?
(a) He reads his script.
(b) He writes a letter.
(c) He changes his shirt.
(d) He makes a phone call.
11. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
(a) He is angry at Franny for her troubles.
(b) He is angry that Franny won't eat.
(c) He is angry at Bessie and Les for playing the piano for Franny.
(d) He is angry about having to go out for a drink.
12. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A bishop.
(b) A nun.
(c) A monk.
(d) A priest.
13. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
14. Over the phone, Zooey suggests to Franny that she find her help where?
(a) By going to see Buddy.
(b) In the Bible.
(c) In her own home.
(d) With Lane.
15. Why does Franny believe that Professor Tupper detests her?
(a) She does not agree with his religious beliefs.
(b) She told him he has no enthusiasm.
(c) She only attends class occasionally.
(d) She never smiles at him when he is being charming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
2. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
3. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
4. What is Franny's dream about?
5. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)