|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zooey tells Franny that she should stop her behavior for what reason?
(a) She is being ridiculous.
(b) It is pointless.
(c) She has no need for prayer.
(d) It is not fair to Bessie and Les.
2. What does Zooey tell Franny he did with Jesus when Zooey was eight-years-old?
(a) He acted in a scene with him.
(b) He had a glass of ginger ale with him.
(c) He broke bread with him.
(d) He went to church with him.
3. How does Zooey treat Hess when Hess offers him a new script?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is rude to him.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is ecstatic.
4. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
(b) Sporting equipment.
5. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
(a) Her crazy family.
(b) A liitle book about a pilgrim.
(c) The play that she quit.
(d) Her relationship with Lane.
6. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
(a) Song lyrics.
(b) Information about Epictetus.
(c) Love poems.
(d) Mathematical equations.
7. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(a) Being kind to others.
(c) Reading the Bible.
8. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
(a) To get better grades in school.
(b) To make the mean, bad people in her world go away.
(c) To become a better actress.
(d) To cleanse her of her sins.
9. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
(a) He hates all psychoanalysts.
(b) He fears that it will send Franny over the edge.
(c) He believes only Franny's family can help her.
(d) He believes Franny will get past this on her own.
10. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
(a) Her brother the priest.
(b) Her father.
(c) Professor Tupper.
(d) Her dead brother.
11. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
(a) She wants Franny to see a priest.
(b) She becomes very worried for Franny.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She wonders if Franny is searching for the prayer.
12. What word does Franny say is missing from the vocabulary of the people at college?
13. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
(a) He hates every other city.
(b) It is his hometown.
(c) He is afraid to travel.
(d) His family is in NY.
14. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
(a) Find a monk.
(b) Be under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
(c) Find a good church to go to.
(d) Keep saying the prayer.
15. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
(a) She called her mother.
(b) She went to see Buddy.
(c) She made plans to go to Russia.
(d) She came home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
2. What is the third eye?
3. What is Franny's dream about?
4. What is the name of the second book in the series that Franny is reading?
5. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)