|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A four-story private school.
(c) A four-story apartment building.
(d) A church.
2. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
(a) Her crazy family.
(b) A liitle book about a pilgrim.
(c) The play that she quit.
(d) Her relationship with Lane.
3. Why did Seymour tell Zooey to shine his shoes for the radio show?
(a) His father always did it.
(b) It was required.
(c) Seymour liked shiny shoes.
(d) He was teaching Zooey to always do and look his best.
4. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "Get over it."
(b) "Call Buddy."
(d) "I'm sorry."
5. Why did Franny move out of her room at college?
(a) She disliked her roommate.
(b) Too much noise.
(c) She kept picking on her roommate.
(d) The cat was bothering her.
6. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
(d) Smart and happy.
7. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
(a) He fears that it will send Franny over the edge.
(b) He hates all psychoanalysts.
(c) He believes only Franny's family can help her.
(d) He believes Franny will get past this on her own.
8. What role does Dick Hess want Zooey to play?
(a) A sensitive young subway guard.
(b) A cowboy.
(c) A city slicker.
(d) A romantic young man.
9. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
(a) She went to see Buddy.
(b) She made plans to go to Russia.
(c) She called her mother.
(d) She came home.
10. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
(a) The stupidity of attending college.
(b) The falseness of intelligent people.
(c) People's lack of caring.
(d) The falseness of praying.
11. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
12. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
(a) She sleeps comfortably in her mother's bed.
(b) She goes back to the couch to sleep soundly.
(c) She goes to the kitchen for chicken broth.
(d) She goes back to the couch in tears.
13. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(a) Being kind to others.
(c) Reading the Bible.
14. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
(a) A buried one.
(b) An honorable one like Yorick's.
(c) A happy one.
(d) A perfectly shaped one.
15. What poet does Franny love?
(a) Elizabeth Browning.
(b) Gwendolyn Brooks.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Jane Austin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
2. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
3. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
4. What was the film about that Zooey made with Dick Hess?
5. Why does Zooey believe that the prayer will never work for Franny?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)