|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the bathmat?
2. What is Franny doing while she has her conversation with Zooey in the living room?
(a) She is reciting the prayer.
(b) She is eating.
(c) She is sleeping.
(d) She is picking fleas off of the cat.
3. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) His shirt.
(b) The way he shaves.
(c) His socks.
(d) His back.
4. What does Zooey tell Franny that her problem is in regards to the people she says are too egotistical?
(a) Franny only sees what she wants.
(b) Franny does not really know these people.
(c) Franny does not know what she is talking about.
(d) Franny takes it all too personally.
5. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "Get over it."
(c) "Call Buddy."
(d) "I'm sorry."
6. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
(a) The play that she quit.
(b) Her relationship with Lane.
(c) A liitle book about a pilgrim.
(d) Her crazy family.
7. Who does Zooey say that Franny should act for?
(d) The audience.
8. What is Franny's dream about?
(a) Her dead brother.
(b) The prayer.
(d) Diving into a pool over and over again.
9. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
(a) To become a better actress.
(b) To cleanse her of her sins.
(c) To make the mean, bad people in her world go away.
(d) To get better grades in school.
10. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
11. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
(a) He said that Zooey was destructive.
(b) He explained why Zooey smokes cigars.
(c) He said that Zooey did not know what he was talking about.
(d) He said that Zooey was a lunatic.
12. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
(a) He is not trying to stop her from saying it.
(b) That it is ridiculous.
(c) To stop saying it.
(d) That it does not work.
13. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
(a) He is bathing.
(b) He is filing his nails.
(c) He is shaving.
(d) He is brushing his teeth.
14. What does Zooey say is odd about Franny's breakdown?
(a) She decides to sleep on the couch.
(b) It isn't real.
(c) She can't explain it.
(d) She chooses the place to have it.
15. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
(a) A four-story private school.
(b) A church.
(c) A four-story apartment building.
(d) A hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
2. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
3. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
4. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
5. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)