|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
(a) To stop saying it.
(b) He is not trying to stop her from saying it.
(c) That it is ridiculous.
(d) That it does not work.
2. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
(a) It is his hometown.
(b) He is afraid to travel.
(c) His family is in NY.
(d) He hates every other city.
3. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
(b) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(c) That wanting it may make her crazy.
(d) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
4. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
(a) He is brushing his teeth.
(b) He is bathing.
(c) He is filing his nails.
(d) He is shaving.
5. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) The way he shaves.
(b) His socks.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His back.
6. Who does Franny first believe is on the phone after her conversation with Zooey is over?
7. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
(a) A good priest.
(c) A strong church.
(d) Time and dedication.
8. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
(a) Sharing the Bible.
(c) Drinking chicken soup.
9. What role does Dick Hess want Zooey to play?
(a) A city slicker.
(b) A romantic young man.
(c) A sensitive young subway guard.
(d) A cowboy.
10. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
(a) The falseness of intelligent people.
(b) The falseness of praying.
(c) People's lack of caring.
(d) The stupidity of attending college.
11. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
(a) He explained why Zooey smokes cigars.
(b) He said that Zooey was destructive.
(c) He said that Zooey did not know what he was talking about.
(d) He said that Zooey was a lunatic.
12. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His toothbrush.
(b) His shoe.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) His tweezers.
13. As Zooey comes to the end of the pilgrim's story, what does he ask his mother?
(a) Does she believe?
(b) Does she understand?
(c) Does she want to hear more?
(d) If she is listening.
14. Why doesn't Zooey want to get married?
(a) He is gay.
(b) He is too busy.
(c) He hasn't found the right woman.
(d) He likes to ride in trains too much.
15. Who is Zooey afraid Franny's crusade will hurt?
(a) Franny's college friends.
(b) A wonderful college professor of Zooey's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zooey think about Lane?
2. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
3. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
4. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
5. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)