|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Zooey want Franny to smile at him?
(a) She does not do it wholeheartedly.
(b) Her smile is crooked.
(c) It gives him the creeps.
(d) Seymour used to smile at him.
2. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A priest.
(b) A bishop.
(c) A nun.
(d) A monk.
3. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
(b) Being kind to others.
(c) Reading the Bible.
4. Why is Zooey banging on the piano keys?
(a) He is angry at Bessie and Les for playing the piano for Franny.
(b) He is angry at Franny for her troubles.
(c) He is angry about having to go out for a drink.
(d) He is angry that Franny won't eat.
5. After Zooey upsets Franny, what is she trying to get him to do?
(a) Shut up.
(b) Feed her.
(c) Feed the fish.
(d) Leave the room.
6. What does Franny tell Zooey of her night with Lane?
(a) That she ruined it because she could not stop complaining.
(b) Lane and she admitted their love for each other.
(c) She loved the restaurant.
(d) It was fun.
7. What does Zooey believe Franny is using the prayer for?
(a) To make the mean, bad people in her world go away.
(b) To get better grades in school.
(c) To cleanse her of her sins.
(d) To become a better actress.
8. What does Zooey say is odd about Franny's breakdown?
(a) She can't explain it.
(b) It isn't real.
(c) She decides to sleep on the couch.
(d) She chooses the place to have it.
9. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
(a) Franny's brother Seymour.
(b) Franny's brother Waker, the priest.
(c) Bishop Pinchot
(d) Franny's brother Buddy.
10. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is sobbing.
(b) She is sitting up staring into space.
(c) She is feeling better.
(d) She is smiling slightly.
11. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
(a) The falseness of praying.
(b) People's lack of caring.
(c) The stupidity of attending college.
(d) The falseness of intelligent people.
12. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) His shoe.
(c) His tweezers.
(d) His toothbrush.
13. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(b) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
(d) Intelligent people.
14. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
(a) A happy one.
(b) An honorable one like Yorick's.
(c) A buried one.
(d) A perfectly shaped one.
15. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are chakras?
2. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
3. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
4. What poet does Franny love?
5. What does Zooey keep repeating to Franny about the prayer?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)