|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
2. What is the third eye?
3. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They are too smart for others.
(b) They rarely have conversations.
(c) They don't like to talk.
(d) They don't talk, they expound.
4. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
(a) She made plans to go to Russia.
(b) She went to see Buddy.
(c) She called her mother.
(d) She came home.
5. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
(b) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(c) That wanting it may make her crazy.
(d) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
6. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
(a) In her mother's bedroom.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In Buddy's room.
(d) In the living room.
7. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
(a) The water needs to be changed.
(b) They have mulitplied.
(c) That someone is always killing them off.
(d) They need to be fed.
8. What stands across the street from the Glasses' living room window?
(a) A four-story private school.
(b) A four-story apartment building.
(c) A church.
(d) A hospital.
9. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A bishop.
(b) A monk.
(c) A nun.
(d) A priest.
10. What does Franny do at the end of the phone call?
(a) She goes back to the couch to sleep soundly.
(b) She sleeps comfortably in her mother's bed.
(c) She goes back to the couch in tears.
(d) She goes to the kitchen for chicken broth.
11. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
(a) Her crazy family.
(b) Her relationship with Lane.
(c) The play that she quit.
(d) A liitle book about a pilgrim.
12. Why did Seymour tell Zooey to shine his shoes for the radio show?
(a) It was required.
(b) Seymour liked shiny shoes.
(c) He was teaching Zooey to always do and look his best.
(d) His father always did it.
13. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is sitting up staring into space.
(b) She is feeling better.
(c) She is smiling slightly.
(d) She is sobbing.
14. What was the film about that Zooey made with Dick Hess?
(a) A romance of a young man falling in love.
(b) A farmer who moves to the city.
(c) A drunk.
(d) A dancer.
15. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "Call Buddy."
(b) "Get over it."
(c) "I'm sorry."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zooey tell Franny he did with Jesus when Zooey was eight-years-old?
2. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
3. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
4. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
5. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)