|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) The way he shaves.
(b) His socks.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His back.
2. What does Franny worry about in her search for the prayer?
(a) That wanting it may make her crazy.
(b) That wanting it will separate her from those she loves.
(c) That wanting it may not be enough to find it.
(d) That wanting it makes her no different than those who want material things.
3. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "I'm sorry."
(c) "Call Buddy."
(d) "Get over it."
4. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
(a) He believes going to Europe will make him a better actor.
(b) He thinks he is a wonderful actor.
(c) He feels all that he does is undermine others' work.
(d) He feels everyone in the business is crap.
5. How does Zooey describe Jesus?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a great prophet.
(c) As the most intelligent man in the Bible.
(d) As warm.
6. What medical problem does Zooey have?
(a) An ulcer.
(b) A heart murmur.
(d) High blood pressure.
7. Besides furniture, what is Buddy's room filled with?
(d) Sporting equipment.
8. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They don't like to talk.
(b) They rarely have conversations.
(c) They don't talk, they expound.
(d) They are too smart for others.
9. The book that Zooey suggests Bessie read is called what?
(a) "God Is My Hobby."
(b) "You and God."
(c) "God Is My Friend."
(d) "God's Prayer."
10. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is sobbing.
(b) She is smiling slightly.
(c) She is sitting up staring into space.
(d) She is feeling better.
11. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
(a) Knowledge for knowledge's sake.
(b) Intelligent people.
12. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
(a) Find a monk.
(b) Be under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
(c) Find a good church to go to.
(d) Keep saying the prayer.
13. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
14. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
(a) He explained why Zooey smokes cigars.
(b) He said that Zooey was destructive.
(c) He said that Zooey was a lunatic.
(d) He said that Zooey did not know what he was talking about.
15. Over the phone, Zooey suggests to Franny that she find her help where?
(a) With Lane.
(b) By going to see Buddy.
(c) In her own home.
(d) In the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet does Franny love?
2. What has Zooey been saying at every meal for years?
3. Zooey says that the only thing that counts in the religious life is what?
4. What does Franny fill the entire blackboard with?
5. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)