|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Zooey make about his fish in the tank?
(a) They have mulitplied.
(b) The water needs to be changed.
(c) That someone is always killing them off.
(d) They need to be fed.
2. How did Franny get herself to stop complaining about the falseness of people?
(a) She spoke to Seymour.
(b) She began taking medication.
(c) She kicked herself.
(d) She yelled at herself out loud with a threat.
3. What religious action does Zooey say Franny is missing in her own home?
(a) Sharing the Bible.
(d) Drinking chicken soup.
4. What role does Dick Hess want Zooey to play?
(a) A cowboy.
(b) A romantic young man.
(c) A sensitive young subway guard.
(d) A city slicker.
5. Zooey says that when one first begins the prayer, one should do what, as told in the pilgrim's tale?
(a) Keep saying the prayer.
(b) Find a monk.
(c) Find a good church to go to.
(d) Be under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
6. Where is the phone that Franny answers?
(a) In Buddy's room.
(b) In the living room.
(c) In her mother's bedroom.
(d) In the bathroom.
7. Who does Franny tell Bessie that she wants to talk to?
(a) Her brother the priest.
(b) A psychoanalyst.
(d) Her brother Seymour.
8. All of the following describe the Glass living room except which one?
(a) It is lined with bookshelves.
(b) It is stuffed with furnishings.
(c) The walls are covered with documents.
(d) It is dark and gloomy.
9. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
(a) She went to see Buddy.
(b) She made plans to go to Russia.
(c) She came home.
(d) She called her mother.
10. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
(a) Franny's brother Waker, the priest.
(b) Bishop Pinchot
(c) Franny's brother Seymour.
(d) Franny's brother Buddy.
11. What made Franny quit the Bible and go straight to Buddha?
(a) Jesus saying that people are better than animals.
(c) The crucifixion.
(d) The story of Job.
12. What medical problem does Zooey have?
(b) An ulcer.
(c) High blood pressure.
(d) A heart murmur.
13. What is Zooey's attitude about his acting career as he expresses it to Franny?
(a) He feels all that he does is undermine others' work.
(b) He feels everyone in the business is crap.
(c) He thinks he is a wonderful actor.
(d) He believes going to Europe will make him a better actor.
14. What are the last words Zooey speaks to Franny before leaving the room?
(a) "Get over it."
(b) "Call Buddy."
(d) "I'm sorry."
15. When Zooey leaves Franny, what state is she in?
(a) She is sitting up staring into space.
(b) She is sobbing.
(c) She is smiling slightly.
(d) She is feeling better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zooey doing as he tells Bessie the tale of the pilgrim?
2. Why doesn't Zooey want to leave New York?
3. What does Franny believe is the worst culprit in this game of hypocrisy?
4. What is it that Franny expresses that she is so bothered by?
5. Bessie says that when the children were young, they were what?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)