|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lane and Bessie believe is the reason for Franny's troubles?
(a) The play that she quit.
(b) Her relationship with Lane.
(c) Her crazy family.
(d) A liitle book about a pilgrim.
2. After Zooey tells Bessie the story of the pilgrim, how does Bessie react?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She wonders if Franny is searching for the prayer.
(c) She becomes very worried for Franny.
(d) She wants Franny to see a priest.
3. What does Zooey say that he and Franny are?
4. How does Zooey describe Jesus?
(a) As warm.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a great prophet.
(d) As the most intelligent man in the Bible.
5. In the book Franny has been reading, who does the pilgrim find to help him learn about the prayer?
(a) A nun.
(b) A bishop.
(c) A priest.
(d) A monk.
6. Zooey says that people who use their egos to get ahead cannot possibly have what?
(a) Good jobs.
(d) Much money.
7. What are chakras?
(a) Musical instruments.
(b) The seven subtle centers in the body.
(c) People who pray.
8. When Zooey mentions that Franny should talk to someone, who is it that she wants to speak with?
(a) Her dead brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Professor Tupper.
(d) Her brother the priest.
9. How does Franny describe Zooey to Buddy on the phone?
(a) She says he is happy.
(b) She says he is helpful.
(c) She says he is bitter.
(d) She says he is mean.
10. Zooey tells Bessie that living a religious life takes what?
(a) A strong church.
(b) A good priest.
(c) Time and dedication.
11. What problem do the Glasses have with conversation?
(a) They don't like to talk.
(b) They don't talk, they expound.
(c) They are too smart for others.
(d) They rarely have conversations.
12. What did Zooey say that made Franny realize she wasn't talking to Buddy?
(a) He said that Zooey was a lunatic.
(b) He said that Zooey did not know what he was talking about.
(c) He said that Zooey was destructive.
(d) He explained why Zooey smokes cigars.
13. Zooey feels less frightened about Franny's need to say the prayer because she did what when she first started?
(a) She came home.
(b) She made plans to go to Russia.
(c) She went to see Buddy.
(d) She called her mother.
14. What is Bessie admiring that makes Zooey angry?
(a) His back.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His socks.
(d) The way he shaves.
15. What does Franny tell Zooey of her night with Lane?
(a) It was fun.
(b) That she ruined it because she could not stop complaining.
(c) Lane and she admitted their love for each other.
(d) She loved the restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Seymour tell Zooey to shine his shoes for the radio show?
2. Why does Zooey get so upset when Bessie mentions calling Philly Byrnes, the psychoanalyst?
3. In a discussion with Zooey, who does Bessie say that Franny should talk to?
4. What kind of a skull does Zooey want when he is dead?
5. What can't Zooey find in the bathroom?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)