|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He continues eating, yet he listens.
(b) He listens wholeheartedly.
(c) He continuously interrupts her.
(d) He ignores her and eats his food.
2. Seymour and Buddy believed that education should start with what?
(a) Shakespeare and Homer.
3. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
(a) Happy she is gone.
(b) The weekend is not looking good.
4. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Six months.
5. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
(a) He won't clean the living room for the painters.
(b) He doesn't want Franny to see a psychiatrist.
(c) He never faces anything unpleasant.
(d) He is never home.
6. What profession was Bessie in when she was younger?
(a) She was a singer.
(b) She was in radio.
(c) She was a teacher.
(d) She was a dancer in the theater.
7. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
(a) Their aniversary dinner.
(b) The Yale Game.
(c) Lane's birthday.
(d) A Yale dance.
8. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
(b) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
(c) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(d) "Which letter?"
9. What becomes of Franny's sandwich?
(a) Franny eats it.
(b) Lane eats it.
(c) The waiter takes it away uneaten.
(d) It falls on the floor.
10. What does Franny tell Lane about the letter?
(a) That it was difficult to write.
(b) She mailed it weeks before.
(c) She was glad that she wrote it.
(d) She wished she had never written it.
11. Why doesn't Buddy go home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) He lives too far away.
(b) He can't face his mother.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He is too sad.
12. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
(a) He tells Franny to stop talking about it.
(b) He says that it is interesting.
(c) He wants to begin praying immediately.
(d) He thinks it is stupid.
13. Why don't Franny and Lane have dessert?
(a) There is not enough time.
(b) Franny does not like dessert.
(c) The waiter does not offer dessert.
(d) There is nothing on the menu that they want.
14. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
(a) Get out to the bathtub.
(b) Use the bathmat.
(d) Wash his hair.
15. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
(a) She needs a moment away from Lane.
(b) She is about to cry.
(c) Her food has made her ill.
(d) She drank too many martinis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
2. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
3. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
4. When Franny tells Lane that he is "talking like a section man," what does she mean by the term "section man"?
5. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)