|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
2. How does Franny get to the restaurant manager's office?
(a) The bartender and Lane carry her.
(b) She crawls there after collapsing.
(c) She walks into it to speak with him.
(d) She chooses the wrong door.
3. Why doesn't Buddy go home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) He can't face his mother.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He lives too far away.
(d) He is too sad.
4. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
(a) She chain smokes.
(b) She keeps telling Lane to eat his snails.
(c) She takes continuous sips of her drink.
(d) She continuously taps on the table.
5. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
(a) She will say the prayer for as long as it takes to see if it is true.
(b) She believes that many advanced religious persons say it is true.
(c) She thinks it will only work for true believers.
(d) She believes without a doubt that it works.
6. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
(a) "Precocious Children."
(b) "Questions for Wise Children."
(c) "It's A Wise Child."
(d) "Wise Ones."
7. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(d) Zen and Buddhism.
8. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
(a) Two young girls.
(b) The death of their brother.
(c) Bessie's letter.
(d) Franny's breakdown.
9. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
(a) He finds the whole thing amusing.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is worried about Franny.
(d) He is embarrassed.
10. What story does Buddy tell Zooey about the little girl in the market?
(a) She wanted to buy fish.
(b) She gave Buddy her lollipop.
(c) She had boyfriends named Bobby and Dorothy.
(d) She was an orphan.
11. What became of Seymour?
(a) He died in an accident.
(b) He married and had children.
(c) He became a two-bit actor.
(d) He committed suicide.
12. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
(a) It is their favorite restaurant.
(b) They love the food.
(c) There was nowhere else to go.
(d) It is the "in" place for college intellectuals.
13. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
(a) He tells Franny to stop talking about it.
(b) He says that it is interesting.
(c) He thinks it is stupid.
(d) He wants to begin praying immediately.
14. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
(a) Her English department has the best professors.
(b) He believes her school has the two best poets.
(c) She doesn't know what she is talking about.
(d) Someone might overhear her.
15. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
(a) He won't clean the living room for the painters.
(b) He never faces anything unpleasant.
(c) He is never home.
(d) He doesn't want Franny to see a psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
2. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
3. How many years before had Buddy's letter been written?
4. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
5. What grade did Lane get on his paper?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)