|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Franny regret asking for Lane's olive?
(a) The olives make her ill.
(b) He hates when she takes his food from him.
(c) It made Lane angry that she interrupted him.
(d) She does not like olives.
2. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
(a) It is Zooey's.
(b) It is not hers to lend.
(c) It is overdue.
(d) She had stolen it.
3. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
(a) He believes her school has the two best poets.
(b) She doesn't know what she is talking about.
(c) Someone might overhear her.
(d) Her English department has the best professors.
4. What time of year is it?
5. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
(a) Use the bathmat.
(b) Get out to the bathtub.
(d) Wash his hair.
6. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
(a) She believes without a doubt that it works.
(b) She believes that many advanced religious persons say it is true.
(c) She thinks it will only work for true believers.
(d) She will say the prayer for as long as it takes to see if it is true.
7. Who does Zooey say Bessie should invite to join them in the bathroom?
(b) The painters.
(c) The girls from the school across the street.
8. What did Seymour tell Buddy was his "wooden leg"?
(b) Kind heartedness.
9. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
(b) Sarcastic and demeaning.
(c) Warm and loving.
10. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
(a) They love each other.
(b) They allow the servants to eat with them every night.
(c) They took good care of the pilgrim.
(d) They spread the word of God.
11. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He listens wholeheartedly.
(b) He ignores her and eats his food.
(c) He continuously interrupts her.
(d) He continues eating, yet he listens.
12. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(b) Zen and Buddhism.
13. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
(a) Publish it.
(b) Read it over.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Rewrite it.
14. How would Seymour react if he knew Buddy was lecturing Zooey about acting and his education?
(a) Seymour would not care.
(b) Seymour would be frightened.
(c) Seymour would be smiling.
(d) Seymour would be angry.
15. What does Franny say that a person does not even need when they first start saying the prayer?
(b) An understanding of God.
(c) A priest.
(d) An understanding of the prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessie say about her children when the chips are down?
2. What was Lane's paper about?
3. How is Zooey related to Franny?
4. How many years before had Buddy's letter been written?
5. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)