|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is worried about Franny.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He finds the whole thing amusing.
2. What story does Buddy tell Zooey about the little girl in the market?
(a) She was an orphan.
(b) She wanted to buy fish.
(c) She gave Buddy her lollipop.
(d) She had boyfriends named Bobby and Dorothy.
3. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
(a) Buddy never comes home.
(b) Buddy refuses to have a phone.
(c) Buddy lives far away.
(d) Buddy won't help Franny.
4. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
(a) He left home and was never heard from again.
(b) He married and had children.
(c) He became a great actor.
(d) He was killed in WWII.
5. How is Zooey related to Franny?
(a) He is her younger sibling.
(b) He is her older sibling.
(c) He is her ex-boyfriend.
(d) He is her father.
6. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) Ten years.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five years.
7. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
(a) She makes her chicken broth.
(b) She paints the apartment.
(c) She tells Franny to get up off of the couch.
(d) She has called a psychiatrist.
8. What has really set Franny on a path of self-destruction?
(a) A book that has made her question her existence.
(b) Her poor acting in the play.
(c) Her mother's crazy ways.
(d) Her relationship with Lane.
9. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
(a) Rewrite it.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Publish it.
(d) Read it over.
10. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
(a) She looks pale.
(b) He tells her he loves her.
(c) She should stop obsessing over the prayer.
(d) She should eat.
11. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
(a) He wants to begin praying immediately.
(b) He tells Franny to stop talking about it.
(c) He says that it is interesting.
(d) He thinks it is stupid.
12. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
(a) Happy she is gone.
(b) The weekend is not looking good.
13. Where are the two meeting?
(a) The airport.
(b) A train station.
(c) The subway station.
(d) A bus station.
14. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
(a) A letter.
(b) A gun.
(d) A haiku poem.
15. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
(a) The person has heart trouble.
(b) The person dies.
(d) That person gets to see God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
2. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
3. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
4. The pilgrim in the book that Franny has been reading is searching for what?
5. Why does Franny regret asking for Lane's olive?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)