|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bloomberg?
(a) A brother.
(b) The fish.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) The cat.
2. What does Franny tell Lane about the letter?
(a) She wished she had never written it.
(b) She mailed it weeks before.
(c) That it was difficult to write.
(d) She was glad that she wrote it.
3. In what tone does Zooey talk to his mother?
(a) Warm and loving.
(b) Sarcastic and demeaning.
4. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
(a) He became a great actor.
(b) He left home and was never heard from again.
(c) He married and had children.
(d) He was killed in WWII.
5. How is Zooey related to Franny?
(a) He is her ex-boyfriend.
(b) He is her younger sibling.
(c) He is her older sibling.
(d) He is her father.
6. What was Lane's paper about?
7. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
(a) She keeps telling Lane to eat his snails.
(b) She takes continuous sips of her drink.
(c) She chain smokes.
(d) She continuously taps on the table.
8. What does Waker say of the way Zooey handled the loss of Seymour?
(a) He was the only one who was bitter.
(b) He refused to attend the funeral.
(c) He cried for a long time.
(d) He seemed indifferent.
9. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
(a) He would be too demanding.
(b) He can't memorize lines.
(c) He is no good at it.
(d) Nothing, he believes Zooey will be great.
10. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
(a) In a dorm room with Lane.
(b) In a dorm room with other girls.
(c) In a room with two girls she does not know.
(d) In a hotel with Lane.
11. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
12. What does Zooey do after Bessie leaves the bathroom?
(a) He gets out of the tub.
(b) He throws the washcloth.
(c) He stares at the closed door.
(d) He reads his manuscript.
13. After telling her tale, Franny attempts to return to the bathroom. On the way what happens to her?
(a) She speaks to the bartender.
(b) She faints.
(c) She meets the girls that she is rooming with.
(d) She trips over something.
14. When the pilgrim first begins saying the prayer, what is he using?
(a) His heart and his lips.
(b) His lips only.
(c) His heart.
(d) His mind.
15. What should poets leave behind according to Franny?
(a) Poetry books.
(b) Something beautiful.
(d) Many poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years before had Buddy's letter been written?
2. What does Bessie wear while at home?
3. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
4. What does Bessie say about her children when the chips are down?
5. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)