|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
2. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(d) Zen and Buddhism.
3. What has really set Franny on a path of self-destruction?
(a) A book that has made her question her existence.
(b) Her mother's crazy ways.
(c) Her relationship with Lane.
(d) Her poor acting in the play.
4. When the pilgrim first begins saying the prayer, what is he using?
(a) His lips only.
(b) His heart.
(c) His heart and his lips.
(d) His mind.
5. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
(a) That person gets to see God.
(b) The person has heart trouble.
(c) The person dies.
6. In the book that Franny is reading, after the pilgrim learns what he is seeking, what does he do next?
(a) He builds a church.
(b) He converts everyone in his home town.
(c) He travels all over Russia.
(d) He dies and goes to heaven.
7. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
(a) The death of their brother.
(b) Franny's breakdown.
(c) Two young girls.
(d) Bessie's letter.
8. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
(a) She needs a moment away from Lane.
(b) Her food has made her ill.
(c) She drank too many martinis.
(d) She is about to cry.
9. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
(a) She doesn't know what she is talking about.
(b) Someone might overhear her.
(c) Her English department has the best professors.
(d) He believes her school has the two best poets.
10. What is happening to Franny's forehead while she is having lunch with Lane?
(a) It is wrinkled.
(b) It is filled with anxiety.
(c) It is bleeding.
(d) It is perspiring.
11. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
(a) He is never home.
(b) He never faces anything unpleasant.
(c) He doesn't want Franny to see a psychiatrist.
(d) He won't clean the living room for the painters.
12. How old was Franny when Seymour died?
13. What did Seymour tell Buddy was his "wooden leg"?
(d) Kind heartedness.
14. What does Bessie wear while at home?
(a) An old lady's housedress.
(b) A blue Japanese kimono.
(c) A sari.
(d) Jeans and a tee shirt.
15. Why don't Franny and Lane have dessert?
(a) Franny does not like dessert.
(b) There is not enough time.
(c) The waiter does not offer dessert.
(d) There is nothing on the menu that they want.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bloomberg?
2. What does Zooey say about Bessie's interpretation of religion?
3. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
4. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
5. Why does Franny regret asking for Lane's olive?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)