|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
(a) It is overdue.
(b) She had stolen it.
(c) It is Zooey's.
(d) It is not hers to lend.
2. Why doesn't Buddy go home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) He is too sad.
(b) He lives too far away.
(c) He can't face his mother.
(d) He is afraid.
3. What does Waker say of the way Zooey handled the loss of Seymour?
(a) He cried for a long time.
(b) He seemed indifferent.
(c) He was the only one who was bitter.
(d) He refused to attend the funeral.
4. What does Bessie wear while at home?
(a) A sari.
(b) A blue Japanese kimono.
(c) An old lady's housedress.
(d) Jeans and a tee shirt.
5. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
(a) Lane's birthday.
(b) A Yale dance.
(c) The Yale Game.
(d) Their aniversary dinner.
6. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(b) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
(c) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
(d) "Which letter?"
7. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
(a) The person dies.
(b) The person has heart trouble.
(d) That person gets to see God.
8. How many years before had Buddy's letter been written?
9. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
(a) Her feet.
(b) Her legs.
(c) Her torso.
(d) Her arms.
10. At the end of the letter, Buddy tells Zooey to do what?
(a) "Act with all of your might."
(b) Turn off the private phone.
(c) Be good to Bessie.
(d) Come to the country for a visit.
11. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Publish it.
(c) Rewrite it.
(d) Read it over.
12. What does Franny wish was underneath her chair?
(a) A napkin.
(b) A trapdoor.
(c) A warm sweater.
(d) A mouse.
13. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
(a) They took good care of the pilgrim.
(b) They allow the servants to eat with them every night.
(c) They spread the word of God.
(d) They love each other.
14. Why is Bessie so upset with Buddy?
(a) Buddy won't help Franny.
(b) Buddy lives far away.
(c) Buddy refuses to have a phone.
(d) Buddy never comes home.
15. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
(a) He became a great actor.
(b) He was killed in WWII.
(c) He married and had children.
(d) He left home and was never heard from again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Franny's sandwich?
2. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
3. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
4. When the reader first meets Zooey, what is Zooey doing?
5. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)