|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
(a) She has called a psychiatrist.
(b) She tells Franny to get up off of the couch.
(c) She makes her chicken broth.
(d) She paints the apartment.
2. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
3. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
(a) Read it over.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Publish it.
(d) Rewrite it.
4. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He continuously interrupts her.
(b) He continues eating, yet he listens.
(c) He listens wholeheartedly.
(d) He ignores her and eats his food.
5. What grade did Lane get on his paper?
(a) An "F."
(b) A "C."
(c) An "A."
(d) A "B."
6. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
(a) "Questions for Wise Children."
(b) "Precocious Children."
(c) "It's A Wise Child."
(d) "Wise Ones."
7. How would Seymour react if he knew Buddy was lecturing Zooey about acting and his education?
(a) Seymour would be angry.
(b) Seymour would not care.
(c) Seymour would be smiling.
(d) Seymour would be frightened.
8. When the reader first meets Zooey, what is Zooey doing?
(a) Reading a letter while bathing.
(b) Reading a script.
(c) Speaking with his mother.
(d) Rehearsing his lines.
9. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
(a) She believes that many advanced religious persons say it is true.
(b) She will say the prayer for as long as it takes to see if it is true.
(c) She thinks it will only work for true believers.
(d) She believes without a doubt that it works.
10. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
(a) Her feet.
(b) Her arms.
(c) Her legs.
(d) Her torso.
11. What does Waker say of the way Zooey handled the loss of Seymour?
(a) He refused to attend the funeral.
(b) He cried for a long time.
(c) He seemed indifferent.
(d) He was the only one who was bitter.
12. When Bessie leaves the bathroom, what does she tell Zooey to do?
(a) Use the bathmat.
(b) Wash his hair.
(c) Get out to the bathtub.
13. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
(a) Happy she is gone.
(d) The weekend is not looking good.
14. At the end of the letter, Buddy tells Zooey to do what?
(a) Come to the country for a visit.
(b) Be good to Bessie.
(c) Turn off the private phone.
(d) "Act with all of your might."
15. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
(a) She drank too many martinis.
(b) She is about to cry.
(c) She needs a moment away from Lane.
(d) Her food has made her ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
2. Lane tells Franny that it has been a month since they last did what?
3. How does Franny get to the restaurant manager's office?
4. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
5. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)