|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Zooey when Seymour died?
2. How does Bessie describe the title of Zooey's manuscript?
(a) As unusual.
3. After telling her tale, Franny attempts to return to the bathroom. On the way what happens to her?
(a) She speaks to the bartender.
(b) She faints.
(c) She trips over something.
(d) She meets the girls that she is rooming with.
4. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
(a) Lane's birthday.
(b) Their aniversary dinner.
(c) A Yale dance.
(d) The Yale Game.
5. How does Lane feel after Franny leaves the lunch table?
(b) The weekend is not looking good.
(c) Happy she is gone.
6. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
(a) She has called a psychiatrist.
(b) She makes her chicken broth.
(c) She paints the apartment.
(d) She tells Franny to get up off of the couch.
7. At the end of the letter, Buddy tells Zooey to do what?
(a) Come to the country for a visit.
(b) Be good to Bessie.
(c) "Act with all of your might."
(d) Turn off the private phone.
8. What does Bessie continuously do while talking to Zooey?
(a) She bites her fingernails.
(b) She pulls junk out of her big pockets.
(c) She smokes.
(d) She folds towels.
9. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
(a) She drank too many martinis.
(b) Her food has made her ill.
(c) She is about to cry.
(d) She needs a moment away from Lane.
10. What does Franny tell Lane about the letter?
(a) That it was difficult to write.
(b) She was glad that she wrote it.
(c) She mailed it weeks before.
(d) She wished she had never written it.
11. Buddy tells Zooey that if Zooey performs beautifully on stage, Buddy do will do what?
(a) Buddy will get him a bigger role.
(b) Buddy will watch every show Zooey performs in after that.
(c) He and Seymour will rent tuxedos and hats and come to the stage.
(d) Buddy will get Seymour to be an actor.
12. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
(a) Her torso.
(b) Her arms.
(c) Her legs.
(d) Her feet.
13. Why don't Franny and Lane have dessert?
(a) The waiter does not offer dessert.
(b) There is nothing on the menu that they want.
(c) There is not enough time.
(d) Franny does not like dessert.
14. What does Franny wish was underneath her chair?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A warm sweater.
(c) A trapdoor.
(d) A napkin.
15. What does Les want to give Franny to make things better for her?
(a) A pet.
(b) A tangerine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to Franny's forehead while she is having lunch with Lane?
2. What does Franny say that a person does not even need when they first start saying the prayer?
3. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
4. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
5. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)