|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franny say that a person does not even need when they first start saying the prayer?
(b) An understanding of God.
(c) A priest.
(d) An understanding of the prayer.
2. After telling her tale, Franny attempts to return to the bathroom. On the way what happens to her?
(a) She speaks to the bartender.
(b) She faints.
(c) She trips over something.
(d) She meets the girls that she is rooming with.
3. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
(a) In a hotel with Lane.
(b) In a dorm room with other girls.
(c) In a room with two girls she does not know.
(d) In a dorm room with Lane.
4. What does Waker say of the way Zooey handled the loss of Seymour?
(a) He refused to attend the funeral.
(b) He seemed indifferent.
(c) He was the only one who was bitter.
(d) He cried for a long time.
5. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
(a) She looks pale.
(b) She should eat.
(c) He tells her he loves her.
(d) She should stop obsessing over the prayer.
6. What does Zooey do after Bessie leaves the bathroom?
(a) He throws the washcloth.
(b) He gets out of the tub.
(c) He reads his manuscript.
(d) He stares at the closed door.
7. Why does Franny keep apologizing at lunch with Lane?
(a) She leaves the table many times.
(b) She hates frog legs.
(c) She is in a bad mood.
(d) She has hurt Lane's feelings.
8. Why does Franny go to the restroom?
(a) Her food has made her ill.
(b) She is about to cry.
(c) She needs a moment away from Lane.
(d) She drank too many martinis.
9. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(d) Zen and Buddhism.
10. How long is it before Franny and Lane arrive at the restaurant from the time they got in the cab?
(a) Three hours.
(b) About an hour later.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A half hour later.
11. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
(a) They allow the servants to eat with them every night.
(b) They took good care of the pilgrim.
(c) They love each other.
(d) They spread the word of God.
12. How does Bessie describe the title of Zooey's manuscript?
(c) As unusual.
13. What does Franny wish was underneath her chair?
(a) A trapdoor.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A warm sweater.
(d) A napkin.
14. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
(a) He listens wholeheartedly.
(b) He ignores her and eats his food.
(c) He continues eating, yet he listens.
(d) He continuously interrupts her.
15. How does Lane feel about the grade he received on his paper?
(a) He wanted a better grade.
(b) He is unimpressed.
(c) He is happy with it.
(d) It makes him angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. For lunch, what does Franny order?
2. What does Lane want Franny to do with the paper he wrote for his class?
3. What does Franny tell Lane happens to a person who repeats God's name incessantly?
4. What becomes of Franny's sandwich?
5. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)