|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
(a) She makes her chicken broth.
(b) She tells Franny to get up off of the couch.
(c) She has called a psychiatrist.
(d) She paints the apartment.
2. What story does Buddy tell Zooey about the little girl in the market?
(a) She wanted to buy fish.
(b) She gave Buddy her lollipop.
(c) She had boyfriends named Bobby and Dorothy.
(d) She was an orphan.
3. What part of Bessie's body was "comely"?
(a) Her arms.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her torso.
(d) Her legs.
4. How does Lane react to the pilgrim story?
(a) He says that it is interesting.
(b) He wants to begin praying immediately.
(c) He thinks it is stupid.
(d) He tells Franny to stop talking about it.
5. What does Franny say concerning her beliefs about whether the prayer works?
(a) She thinks it will only work for true believers.
(b) She believes without a doubt that it works.
(c) She will say the prayer for as long as it takes to see if it is true.
(d) She believes that many advanced religious persons say it is true.
6. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
(a) He doesn't want Franny to see a psychiatrist.
(b) He never faces anything unpleasant.
(c) He won't clean the living room for the painters.
(d) He is never home.
7. How long passes before Buddy returns home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
8. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
9. Where are the two meeting?
(a) The subway station.
(b) A train station.
(c) The airport.
(d) A bus station.
10. What did Buddy find in Seymour's hotel room?
(a) A gun.
(b) A haiku poem.
(c) A letter.
11. Where do Bessie and Zooey have their long conversation?
(a) In the living room.
(b) At the dinner table.
(c) In Zooey's bedroom.
(d) In the bathroom.
12. Why doesn't Buddy go home after Seymour's funeral?
(a) He can't face his mother.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He lives too far away.
(d) He is too sad.
13. How does Lane feel when he gets his first drink at the restaurant?
(a) Angry because it is the wrong drink.
(c) Glad to have one, it was a rough day.
(d) That he is in the right place with the right girl.
14. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
(a) She had stolen it.
(b) It is overdue.
(c) It is not hers to lend.
(d) It is Zooey's.
15. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
(a) It is the "in" place for college intellectuals.
(b) There was nowhere else to go.
(c) It is their favorite restaurant.
(d) They love the food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane tell Franny right before she excuses herself from the lunch table a second time?
2. In the book that Franny is reading, after the pilgrim learns what he is seeking, what does he do next?
3. As Franny tells Lane the story of the pilgrim, what does Lane do?
4. Why does Franny regret asking for Lane's olive?
5. How does Lane react to what happens to Franny at the end of the chapter entitled Franny?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)