|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lane and Franny dine at Sickler's restaurant for what reason?
(a) It is their favorite restaurant.
(b) There was nowhere else to go.
(c) They love the food.
(d) It is the "in" place for college intellectuals.
2. What is happening to Franny's forehead while she is having lunch with Lane?
(a) It is bleeding.
(b) It is filled with anxiety.
(c) It is wrinkled.
(d) It is perspiring.
3. Why does Franny regret asking for Lane's olive?
(a) He hates when she takes his food from him.
(b) She does not like olives.
(c) The olives make her ill.
(d) It made Lane angry that she interrupted him.
4. What profession was Bessie in when she was younger?
(a) She was a teacher.
(b) She was a singer.
(c) She was a dancer in the theater.
(d) She was in radio.
5. What time of year is it?
6. How does Lane feel when he gets his first drink at the restaurant?
(a) Angry because it is the wrong drink.
(c) Glad to have one, it was a rough day.
(d) That he is in the right place with the right girl.
7. For what occasion is Frannie visiting Lane?
(a) A Yale dance.
(b) The Yale Game.
(c) Lane's birthday.
(d) Their aniversary dinner.
8. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
9. What made Buddy want to write to Zooey?
(a) The death of their brother.
(b) Bessie's letter.
(c) Two young girls.
(d) Franny's breakdown.
10. What does Waker say of the way Zooey handled the loss of Seymour?
(a) He seemed indifferent.
(b) He cried for a long time.
(c) He was the only one who was bitter.
(d) He refused to attend the funeral.
11. Why does Franny keep apologizing at lunch with Lane?
(a) She has hurt Lane's feelings.
(b) She hates frog legs.
(c) She leaves the table many times.
(d) She is in a bad mood.
12. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
13. What became of Seymour?
(a) He committed suicide.
(b) He became a two-bit actor.
(c) He married and had children.
(d) He died in an accident.
14. Why don't Franny and Lane have dessert?
(a) There is not enough time.
(b) There is nothing on the menu that they want.
(c) Franny does not like dessert.
(d) The waiter does not offer dessert.
15. When the reader first meets Zooey, what is Zooey doing?
(a) Reading a script.
(b) Speaking with his mother.
(c) Reading a letter while bathing.
(d) Rehearsing his lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
2. What was being taken out of the body of the lovely woman in the story told on the plane?
3. What is the name of the television show that the Glass children acted in?
4. What does Les want to give Franny to make things better for her?
5. What does Buddy believe would be Zooey's downfall as an actor?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)