|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(a) Zen and Buddhism.
2. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
(a) She tells Franny to get up off of the couch.
(b) She paints the apartment.
(c) She makes her chicken broth.
(d) She has called a psychiatrist.
3. How does Bessie describe the title of Zooey's manuscript?
(b) As unusual.
4. What does Bessie say about her children when the chips are down?
(a) They are not there to help.
(b) Only Waker will help.
(c) Boo Boo and Buddy are the only ones who help.
(d) Everyone pitches in.
5. What does Franny say that a person does not even need when they first start saying the prayer?
(b) An understanding of the prayer.
(c) An understanding of God.
(d) A priest.
6. What time of year is it?
7. What does Les want to give Franny to make things better for her?
(c) A pet.
(d) A tangerine.
8. What happened to Bessie's truly lighthearted son, Walt?
(a) He left home and was never heard from again.
(b) He married and had children.
(c) He was killed in WWII.
(d) He became a great actor.
9. Buddy tells Zooey that if Zooey performs beautifully on stage, Buddy do will do what?
(a) Buddy will get Seymour to be an actor.
(b) Buddy will get him a bigger role.
(c) Buddy will watch every show Zooey performs in after that.
(d) He and Seymour will rent tuxedos and hats and come to the stage.
10. What did Seymour tell Buddy was his "wooden leg"?
(c) Kind heartedness.
11. Who introduces the second part of the novel?
12. What story does Buddy tell Zooey about the little girl in the market?
(a) She had boyfriends named Bobby and Dorothy.
(b) She wanted to buy fish.
(c) She was an orphan.
(d) She gave Buddy her lollipop.
13. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
(a) Crazy parents.
(b) The age differences.
(c) Too much education.
(d) The radio show.
14. What does Franny tell Lane about her theatre class?
(a) She quit the play and the class.
(b) She was thrilled with the play.
(c) She was taking a short break from the play.
(d) She thought the role was stupid.
15. What name does Zooey call Bessie?
Short Answer Questions
1. The reader knows that Franny is nervous during her telling of the pilgrim because she does what?
2. Who does Zooey say Bessie should invite to join them in the bathroom?
3. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
4. What does Zooey do after Bessie leaves the bathroom?
5. How is Zooey related to Franny?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)