|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where will Franny be staying during her visit?
(a) In a dorm room with other girls.
(b) In a dorm room with Lane.
(c) In a hotel with Lane.
(d) In a room with two girls she does not know.
2. After telling her tale, Franny attempts to return to the bathroom. On the way what happens to her?
(a) She trips over something.
(b) She faints.
(c) She meets the girls that she is rooming with.
(d) She speaks to the bartender.
3. What should poets leave behind according to Franny?
(b) Poetry books.
(c) Many poems.
(d) Something beautiful.
4. When Frannie asks Lane if he received her letter, he responds by saying what?
(a) "The one that had such scattered thoughts?"
(b) "Yes, I got it Wednesday."
(c) "Which letter?"
(d) "Yes, I am glad your dad's X-rays were good."
5. Why does Franny love the married couple in the pilgrim's story in the book that she is reading?
(a) They took good care of the pilgrim.
(b) They allow the servants to eat with them every night.
(c) They love each other.
(d) They spread the word of God.
6. When Franny tells Lane that he is "talking like a section man," what does she mean by the term "section man"?
(a) A person who takes over a class when the professor is gone.
(b) A know it all.
(c) A teacher's pet.
(d) A teacher's assistant.
7. What feature of Bessie's is compared to a deposed Balkan queen's?
(a) Her feet.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her legs.
(d) Her fingers.
8. When the pilgrim first begins saying the prayer, what is he using?
(a) His lips only.
(b) His heart.
(c) His heart and his lips.
(d) His mind.
9. When Frannie and Lane get in the cab, Frannie feels what?
(a) Guilty that she has not missed him.
(c) Somewhat glad to see him.
(d) So much love for Lane.
10. What does Buddy lecture about at the college where he works?
(c) Zen and Buddhism.
11. Why does Lane think Franny should not say bad things about her English department?
(a) Her English department has the best professors.
(b) She doesn't know what she is talking about.
(c) Someone might overhear her.
(d) He believes her school has the two best poets.
12. What was it about the Glass family that caused problems as Buddy saw it?
(a) The radio show.
(b) Too much education.
(c) The age differences.
(d) Crazy parents.
13. What time of year is it?
14. What does Bessie wear while at home?
(a) Jeans and a tee shirt.
(b) A blue Japanese kimono.
(c) An old lady's housedress.
(d) A sari.
15. What does Franny tell Lane is the reason why she can't lend him the pilgrim book that she has been reading?
(a) It is not hers to lend.
(b) It is overdue.
(c) She had stolen it.
(d) It is Zooey's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Bessie been handling the problem with Franny?
2. What does Franny want to eat that upsets Bessie so much?
3. Why is Bessie so upset with her husband?
4. What story does Buddy tell Zooey about the little girl in the market?
5. What does Buddy apologize in the letter for doing to Zooey and Franny?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)