|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Victor’s father think that Victor avoids social situations?
(a) He does not want to delay their return home.
(b) He is grieving for his good friend.
(c) He does not want to spread his illness.
(d) He is ashamed that he was accused of murder.
2. Why did Felix return to his hometown after helping Safie’s father escape from prison?
(a) To get married.
(b) To return to his job.
(c) To turn himself in for the sake of his family.
(d) To rescue Safie.
3. From what source did Victor often gain strength during his long search for the creature?
(a) Letters from friends.
(b) Dreams of his dead loved ones.
(c) The kindness of strangers.
(d) Old family letters.
4. How does Victor tell his listener he often knew that the creature was still ahead of him and aware of his pursuit?
(a) People would report visits from the creature.
(b) He would see evidence of the creature in abandoned camp sites.
(c) The creature often left notes carved into trees or into stone for him.
(d) The creature would come to him at night to mock him.
5. What does Victor do at the end of Chapter 17 after speaking all night with the creature?
(a) Quickly return home.
(c) Visit the magistrate.
(d) Write a letter to Elizabeth to warn her to watch out for the creature.
6. Who is Mr. Kirwin?
(a) A witness to Henry’s murder.
(b) The judge in Henry’s murder case.
(c) The magistrate charged with watching over Victor in Ireland.
(d) Henry's lawyer.
7. Why does Victor dread the day of his wedding to Elizabeth?
(a) He thinks the creature will kill Elizabeth that day.
(b) He thinks the creature will kill him that day.
(c) He does not love Elizabeth.
(d) He does not want to have children.
8. How did the creature imagine the woman in the portrait would feel if she ever set eyes on him?
(a) She would fall instantly in love with him.
(b) She would be kinder than the others.
(c) She would be frightened, but would give him a chance to show his gentle side.
(d) She would turn in disgust.
9. What instrument did the old male cottager, Mr. DeLacey, play?
10. What season was it when the creature begins traveling to his creator’s hometown?
11. Why did the creature put the locket in Justine Moritz’s pocket?
(a) He wanted to assure her that the child had died quickly.
(b) He thought she looked like the woman in the picture.
(c) He thought she would like it.
(d) He hoped she would be accused of the crime.
12. What does Victor tell Walton when he discusses his feelings about his impending death?
(a) wants to fight it until he can reach a doctor.
(b) He regrets not having children.
(c) He is ready to die so that he might be with his loved ones again.
(d) He does not feel that death is inevitable.
13. How long do Henry and Victor remain in London?
(a) Five months.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
14. What city reminds Victor of Chamounix?
15. Where did the creature find a stack of books and clothing?
(a) The cottage.
(b) An abandoned church.
(c) A portmanteau.
(d) The village store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Victor decide to leave Geneva forever?
2. What does the creature call the cottagers at the end of Chapter 13?
3. Why does the creature claim he is “malicious”?
4. How does Victor react upon seeing his creature through the window of his honeymoon suite?
5. Why did Victor rush home as soon as possible after the death of Elizabeth?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)