|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What product did D.B. Dayton sell that earned him enough money to build a store?
2. What did Henry Harrison Mayes set as his goal?
3. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes set a goal to put signs on other planets?
4. Where was D. B. Dayton cared for when he developed tuberculosis as a child?
5. What did the people interviewed in Foxfire 9 say that the scream of a panther sounds like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What home remedies were used in Jud Nelson's youth to ward off the flu?
2. What happened to D. B. Dayton's mother to cripple her?
3. What two things could Jud Nelson's Uncle John do particularly well as a blacksmith?
4. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes once attend a strip show and what consequences arose because of his going to the show?
5. What were some mountain superstitions reported in the chapter entitled "Haint Tales and Other Scary Stories" in Foxfire 9?
6. What was a madstone and how was it used to treat rabies?
7. What kind of work did D. B. Dayton do for the WPA during the Depression?
8. What changes did the Rothell family make to the upstairs of their home during Mitch Anderson's youth and why did they make those changes?
9. At what specific place did Charles Phillips feel led to pray and how did he use pebbles to record information about the people for whom he prayed?
10. What object was left at Charles Phillips' funeral and how did that object help commemorate Phillips' ministry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Carolyn Stradley's life with Flora Youngblood's life and Nola Campbell's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the herbal remedies and folk medicine practices mentioned in Foxfire 9. What do Appalachian home remedies reveal about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in Foxfire 9. How is this theme illustrated in the lives of D. B. Dayton, Jud Nelson, and Carolyn Stradley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)