|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charles Phillips use stones to indicate?
2. What kind of shoes did D. B. Dayton wear in the summer as a child?
3. What did the people interviewed in Foxfire 9 say that the scream of a panther sounds like?
4. When did the Foxfire organization purchase the Rothell house as a restoration project?
5. According to Ruth Holcomb, what did a bald eagle do to a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to D. B. Dayton's mother to cripple her?
2. What role did the Rothell house have in the lives of local teachers?
3. What home remedies were used in Jud Nelson's youth to ward off the flu?
4. How did Jud Nelson get started in the blacksmithing business?
5. What role did cotton play in Jud Nelson's family life when Jud was a boy?
6. What tales arose in the Appalachian mountains over the years about rabid dogs?
7. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes once attend a strip show and what consequences arose because of his going to the show?
8. What were some mountain superstitions reported in the chapter entitled "Haint Tales and Other Scary Stories" in Foxfire 9?
9. How did a call to preach help Charles Phillips learn to read?
10. What kind of medical care did D. B. Dayton receive during his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in Foxfire 9. How is this theme illustrated in the lives of D. B. Dayton, Jud Nelson, and Carolyn Stradley? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of superstition in Foxfire 9 and compare and contrast the Native American superstitions that Nola Campbell mentions in her interview with the superstitions others mention in their interviews. Include the superstitions mentioned in the section on folk remedies and the superstitions mentioned in the section on haint tales and other scary stories.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stores and business practices of the general store owners featured in Foxfire 9: The Moore family, Patton D. Queen, Roy Roberts, and Earl Gillespie.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)