|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charles Phillips do for a living?
2. What was the only time of the year that D. B. Dayton's family used the eggs they raised on their farm?
3. According to Ruth Holcomb, how long did people in her youth think it would take a person to go mad after being bitten by a rabid dog?
4. What did Henry Harrison Mayes promise God he would do if he survived the accident in his youth?
5. What was a madstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident in Henry Harrison Mayes's youth led to his desire to bring the word of God to others?
2. What kind of medical care did D. B. Dayton receive during his childhood?
3. In what ways was the Rothell home a gathering place for people in the community?
4. What home remedies were used in Jud Nelson's youth to ward off the flu?
5. What kind of syrup did Jud Nelson's father and uncles make and for what was the syrup used during Jud's youth?
6. At what specific place did Charles Phillips feel led to pray and how did he use pebbles to record information about the people for whom he prayed?
7. What tales arose in the Appalachian mountains over the years about rabid dogs?
8. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes once attend a strip show and what consequences arose because of his going to the show?
9. How did the Foxfire organization get the Rothell cabin from its original location to Mountain City and why did the organization not complete its restoration of the cabin?
10. What happened to D. B. Dayton's mother to cripple her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of superstition in Foxfire 9 and compare and contrast the Native American superstitions that Nola Campbell mentions in her interview with the superstitions others mention in their interviews. Include the superstitions mentioned in the section on folk remedies and the superstitions mentioned in the section on haint tales and other scary stories.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of oral traditions and the oral passing down of cultural, agricultural, and artistic knowledge from one generation to the next as illustrated in Foxfire 9. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the concept of the general store with a modern grocery store. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)