|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of mill did Jud and his uncle build?
2. What kind of accident was Henry Harrison Mayes involved in when he was a young man?
3. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes set a goal to put signs on other planets?
4. Why was restoration of the Rothell house not completed by the Foxfire organization?
5. Which of the following activities was not attributed to panthers in Foxfire 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work did D. B. Dayton do for the WPA during the Depression?
2. What did D. B. Dayton's family do during his childhood to earn extra money?
3. How did a call to preach help Charles Phillips learn to read?
4. How did the Foxfire organization get the Rothell cabin from its original location to Mountain City and why did the organization not complete its restoration of the cabin?
5. What incident in Henry Harrison Mayes's youth led to his desire to bring the word of God to others?
6. What was a madstone and how was it used to treat rabies?
7. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes once attend a strip show and what consequences arose because of his going to the show?
8. What kind of syrup did Jud Nelson's father and uncles make and for what was the syrup used during Jud's youth?
9. In what ways was the Rothell home a gathering place for people in the community?
10. What role did cotton play in Jud Nelson's family life when Jud was a boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the concept of the general store with a modern grocery store. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foxfire plant including what makes it glow and the mystical and magical stories about the plant and witches and elves. What does Clyde Hollifield think foxfire is? Why do you think the Foxfire organization decided to name the organization after this glowing fungus? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the herbal remedies and folk medicine practices mentioned in Foxfire 9. What do Appalachian home remedies reveal about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)