|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a form of payment that Henry Youngblood accepted for his herbal doctoring?
2. Which of the following are not ingredients Henry Youngblood used in his herbal remedies?
3. How were the topics to be featured in the new series of books from Foxfire Press determined?
4. What did Roy Roberts, another owner of a general store, sell to the train engineers as they drove through his town?
5. What did the variety of embroidery stitches used by a young woman in quilting traditionally indicate about the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What troubles did Irish Bill Moore have with roughriders after the Civil War?
2. In what way was quilting a social event for mountain women?
3. Describe some of the quilt patterns mentioned in Foxfire 9.
4. What was the difference between a summer quilt and a winter quilt?
5. What were some of the Indian superstitions Nola Campbell encountered on the Catawba reservation?
6. How did Bob McCall keep track of his customers' credit purchases in his general store when he couldn't read or write?
7. What does Clyde Hollifield think foxfire is and how does he use it to make a body of water glow?
8. Explain what foxfire is and what makes it glow.
9. What are some of the home remedies that Flora Youngblood's father, Henry, used?
10. From whom did Nola Campbell learn to make pottery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foxfire 9 is the last in a series of books published by Doubleday. In the future, the Foxfire organization plans to print books through its own publishing house. Discuss the Foxfire publishing house and how the titles Foxfire hopes to print through its own publishing house will differ in focus from Foxfire 9. What advantages will having their own publishing house bring to Foxfire organization? What advantages will Foxfire's publishing house bring to the Appalachian community? How will having their own publishing house further the Foxfire mission? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stores and business practices of the general store owners featured in Foxfire 9: The Moore family, Patton D. Queen, Roy Roberts, and Earl Gillespie.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in Foxfire 9. Are any of the women interviewed in positions of leadership? What characteristics and roles are ascribed to women in the Appalachian mountain community? Do the men in the mountains treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)