|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remedy was used in the mountains for constipation?
2. For what potentially fatal disease did Dr. Brabson develop a cure?
3. Who taught Nola Campbell to make pottery?
4. Who wrote the chapter in Foxfire 9 entitled "Foxfire--What Is It"?
5. What remedy was used in the mountains for hiccups?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goods were sold at the Fort Hembree store operated by the Moore family and what do the ledgers of the store from the 1840s reveal about the shopping habits of the era?
2. What was a crazy quilt?
3. What reasons did Elliot Wigginton give in the Introduction for bringing the Foxfire series to an end with Foxfire 9?
4. How did Earl Gillespie build a successful produce business?
5. What were some of the Indian superstitions Nola Campbell encountered on the Catawba reservation?
6. What does Clyde Hollifield think foxfire is and how does he use it to make a body of water glow?
7. What troubles did Irish Bill Moore have with roughriders after the Civil War?
8. Why did Roy Roberts build a kiln and how did the business that resulted from the building of his kiln fare?
9. What domestic tasks did Flora Youngblood learn to do from her mother?
10. What racial prejudice did Nola Campbell experience in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the way Earl Gillespie raised and sold produce during his youth with the way his son says produce is grown and marketed today. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Nola Campbell makes her pottery and how her pottery differs from other folk pottery in Appalachia. Who taught Nola to make her pottery and how has her Native American heritage influenced her pottery? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Flora Youngblood weaves baskets from honeysuckle vines. Discuss how Flora makes baskets and how basket weaving in the Appalachian mountains and the demand for baskets has changed from the nineteenth century to the present day. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)