|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other business did John Moore run in addition to his general store?
2. Why did Roy Roberts build kilns?
3. Who raised the sheep that produced the wool from which Edith Cannon's mother made her quilt batting?
4. What Appalachian photographer photographed Appalachian mountain scenes during the Depression and left a collection of photographs that Foxfire Press wants to publish?
5. What materials were used by Aunt Arie Carpenter in the making of most of her quilts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "milk sickness"?
2. What reasons did Elliot Wigginton give in the Introduction for bringing the Foxfire series to an end with Foxfire 9?
3. How have fictional stories treated foxfire and other glowing plants?
4. What are some of the home remedies that Flora Youngblood's father, Henry, used?
5. Why did Roy Roberts build a kiln and how did the business that resulted from the building of his kiln fare?
6. What racial prejudice did Nola Campbell experience in her life?
7. How did Flora Youngblood's father, Henry, learn herbal healing?
8. From whom did Nola Campbell learn to make pottery?
9. Why did Nola Campbell spend part of her childhood on the Catawba Indian reservation?
10. Describe the education Flora Youngblood received as a child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of oral traditions and the oral passing down of cultural, agricultural, and artistic knowledge from one generation to the next as illustrated in Foxfire 9. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the religious practices of Charles Phillips and Henry Harrison Mayes. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Nola Campbell makes her pottery and how her pottery differs from other folk pottery in Appalachia. Who taught Nola to make her pottery and how has her Native American heritage influenced her pottery? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)