|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ruth Holcomb, what did a bald eagle do to a baby?
(a) Snatched some of the baby's hair for its nest.
(b) Bit the baby's face.
(c) Adopted the baby as an eaglet and brought it worms to eat.
(d) Stole the baby from a carriage and took it to the nest.
2. How did the Foxfire organization document the rebuilding of the house?
(a) They took pictures of each step in the process.
(b) They tape recorded interviews with the builders.
(c) They kept a diary of the process.
(d) They videotaped the process.
3. What helped people interviewed in Foxfire 9 escape panthers when they were being pursued by these wild animals?
(a) They would make loud noises to scare the panthers away.
(b) Their hunting dogs or the rearing of their horses.
(c) They outran the panthers.
(d) They would enter a stream since panthers don't like water.
4. What did Jud's family use during his childhood to ward off flu?
(a) Honey and turpentine.
(b) A mixture of sorghum and sulfur.
(c) Castor oil.
(d) Epsom salts.
5. Why was restoration of the Rothell house not completed by the Foxfire organization?
(a) They ran out of money.
(b) The house caught on fire and was destroyed.
(c) The house was too damaged by age and termites.
(d) They sold the house to another organization.
6. What did D. B. Dayton and his family eat for dinner when they picked clay peas?
(a) Catfish and turnip greens.
(b) Fried chicken and mashed potatoes.
(c) Pinto beans and cornbread.
(d) Buttermilk and baked sweet potatoes.
7. When was the large log cabin called the Rothell house originally built?
(a) In 1912.
(b) In the 1700s.
(c) In 1989.
(d) In 1890.
8. What animal did Ada Crone think followed her home from the circus?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A panda.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A hyena.
9. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes set a goal to put signs on other planets?
(a) He always wanted to be an astronaut.
(b) He once saw a UFO.
(c) He believes this planet will be used up soon.
(d) He believes it's his divine mission.
10. At what holiday would D. B. Dayton's father get drunk?
(a) Memorial Day.
11. Of what material was the building that housed Jud's business made?
12. What did the house serve as during Mitch Anderson's youth?
(a) A school.
(b) A church.
(c) A gathering place for locals.
(d) A general store.
13. What did Charles Phillips believe it meant when he couldn't sleep?
(a) That someone he loved was in danger.
(b) That he was developing a cold or flu.
(c) That he was tense about something.
(d) That someone needed his prayers at that moment.
14. What job did D. B. Dayton and his family have at the Vogel Lumber Company?
(a) Saw operating.
(b) Selling the lumber.
(c) Fire watching to make sure no fires burned the rail fences.
(d) Lumber stacking.
15. What happened after Henry Harrison Mayes attended the strip show?
(a) The people in the strip show repented & joined his church.
(b) He fell in love with one of the women in the show.
(c) His church questioned his actions and he left the church.
(d) He was arrested when the show was raised by police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charles Phillips use stones to indicate?
2. What did the people interviewed in Foxfire 9 say that the scream of a panther sounds like?
3. According to Jennie Arrowood, how did a fiddler evade a panther after him?
4. What did D. B. Dayton's family sell for extra money during his childhood?
5. On what kind of beds did D. B. Dayton and his family sleep during D. B.'s childhood?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)