|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work did Jud do in the military?
(a) Medical work.
(b) He was in the infantry.
(d) Journalism for military publications.
2. What did Jud begin working on in 1934?
3. What did D. B. Dayton's family do with the eggs they raised on their farm?
(a) Became chicken breeders.
(b) Sold them to chicken breeders.
(c) Traded them for other staples.
(d) Gave them to poor families to eat.
4. From which U.S. president did Henry Harrison Mayes solicit assistance in getting the highway department to allow him to place his signs?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Jimmy Carter.
(c) Harry Truman.
(d) Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
5. What kind of accident was Henry Harrison Mayes involved in when he was a young man?
(a) An automobile accident.
(b) A train accident.
(c) A hunting accident.
(d) A mining accident.
6. What did Charles Phillips believe it meant when he couldn't sleep?
(a) That he was tense about something.
(b) That someone needed his prayers at that moment.
(c) That he was developing a cold or flu.
(d) That someone he loved was in danger.
7. What fruit did D. B. Dayton not know how to peel the first time he ate one?
(a) A banana.
(b) A papaya.
(c) A peach.
(d) A nectarine.
8. What did D. B. Dayton's father work for instead of money?
(b) Medical care for an ailing child.
9. What did Jud's family use during his childhood to ward off flu?
(a) Castor oil.
(b) A mixture of sorghum and sulfur.
(c) Epsom salts.
(d) Honey and turpentine.
10. When did the Foxfire organization purchase the Rothell house as a restoration project?
(a) In 2000.
(b) In 2010.
(c) In 1983.
(d) In 1959.
11. What did Henry Harrison Mayes set as his goal?
(a) Owning a general store.
(b) Learning how to be a blacksmith.
(c) Earning a college degree after age thirty.
(d) Bringing the word of God to everyone on earth.
12. What kind of mill did Jud and his uncle build?
(a) A syrup mill.
(b) A sawmill.
(c) A coffee mill.
(d) A gristmill.
13. When did the Rothell house get electricity installed?
(a) After Mitch Anderson got home from World War II.
(b) In 1980.
(c) During the Depression.
(d) In 1953.
14. How did the Foxfire organization document the rebuilding of the house?
(a) They kept a diary of the process.
(b) They tape recorded interviews with the builders.
(c) They videotaped the process.
(d) They took pictures of each step in the process.
15. What kind of shoes did D. B. Dayton wear in the summer as a child?
(b) None, he went barefoot.
(d) Tennis shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what Indian tribe did the county in which the Rothell house was originally built make treaties to obtain the land?
2. At what specific place did Charles Phillips one day feel compelled to go pray?
3. Which of the following activities was not attributed to panthers in Foxfire 9?
4. What job did D. B. Dayton and his family have at the Vogel Lumber Company?
5. What work did Jud's wife Jenny do before she married?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)