|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business did Jud open at age twenty-two?
(a) A candy shop.
(b) A blacksmith shop.
(c) A carpentry business.
(d) A general store.
2. At what holiday would D. B. Dayton's father get drunk?
(b) Memorial Day.
3. Why was restoration of the Rothell house not completed by the Foxfire organization?
(a) They sold the house to another organization.
(b) The house was too damaged by age and termites.
(c) The house caught on fire and was destroyed.
(d) They ran out of money.
4. What did Charles Phillips do for a living?
(a) He was a physician.
(b) He raised thoroughbred horses.
(c) He was a missionary Baptist preacher.
(d) He owned a general store.
5. When did the Rothell house get electricity installed?
(a) After Mitch Anderson got home from World War II.
(b) During the Depression.
(c) In 1980.
(d) In 1953.
6. What did other blacksmiths ride a horse ten or fifteen miles to get Jud's uncle to do for them?
(a) Sharpen their tools.
(b) Temper a gun spring.
(c) Shoe a mule.
(d) Play the fiddle.
7. What were panthers sometimes called in the mountains of Appalachia?
8. From which U.S. president did Henry Harrison Mayes solicit assistance in getting the highway department to allow him to place his signs?
(a) Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Jimmy Carter.
9. What work did D. B. Dayton do for the WPA during the Depression?
(a) Built a bridge.
(b) Surveyed land and made maps.
(c) Grew cotton.
(d) Built roads & hauled acid wood, tanbark, and fence posts.
10. What happened after Henry Harrison Mayes attended the strip show?
(a) His church questioned his actions and he left the church.
(b) He was arrested when the show was raised by police.
(c) The people in the strip show repented & joined his church.
(d) He fell in love with one of the women in the show.
11. According to Ethel Corn, how did Octy Mcall scare away a panther she found sitting in her open cabin window?
(a) By screaming loudly and banging her pots and pans.
(b) By throwing a knife at the panther.
(c) With a pan of boiling water.
(d) With fire.
12. What kind of accident was Henry Harrison Mayes involved in when he was a young man?
(a) An automobile accident.
(b) A mining accident.
(c) A train accident.
(d) A hunting accident.
13. How did D. B. Dayton's mother become crippled?
(a) She fell down the stairs and injured her leg.
(b) She was in a car wreck.
(c) She had polio as a child.
(d) A childhood incident broke her spine.
14. In what branch of the military did Jud serve in the 1940s?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Marines.
15. When was Jud Nelson born?
(a) In 1800.
(b) In 1890.
(c) In 1913.
(d) In 1900.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a madstone?
2. What kind of mill did Jud and his uncle build?
3. What helped people interviewed in Foxfire 9 escape panthers when they were being pursued by these wild animals?
4. According to the tale Ada Crone told Carol Ramey, what haunted the Roane graveyard and followed people around there?
5. What work did Jud's wife Jenny do before she married?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)