|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the chapter in Foxfire 9 entitled "Foxfire--What Is It"?
(a) Eliot Wigginton.
(b) Curt Haban.
(c) John Gresham.
(d) Earl Hamner.
2. How did many of the Moore's customers pay their bills at the general store?
(a) With scrip from the coal mines.
(b) With goods and services instead of cash.
(c) With credit cards.
(d) With loans from the Moore family.
3. When Flora's mother got shot in the shoulder, what kind of poultice was applied to her wound?
(a) A sulphur and molasses poultice.
(b) A honey and egg poultice.
(c) A castor oil poultice.
(d) A walnut poultice.
4. What kind of work did Nola Campbell do at age 6?
(a) She groomed horses.
(b) She babysat for neighboring families.
(c) She worked the cotton fields.
(d) She helped her mother sew and knit.
5. What award was won by the first book Foxfire Press published?
(a) A Nebula.
(b) A Caldecott Medal.
(c) A Christopher award.
(d) A Pulitzer Prize.
6. When was Flora taught was the best time to gather honeysuckle vines?
(a) In the spring.
(b) At daybreak.
(c) At night.
(d) In the winter.
7. What was the third book published by Foxfire Press?
(a) A book of mountain toys and games.
(b) A Baptist hymnal.
(c) A book on gunsmithing.
(d) A book of herbal remedies.
8. What was the second book published by Foxfire Press?
(a) A book of quilt patterns.
(b) A cookbook of traditional mountain recipes.
(c) A collection of ghost stories.
(d) A collection of traditional mountain songs.
9. What became confining about the format of the Foxfire series?
(a) It limited the presentation of the topics.
(b) It required too many interviews per book.
(c) It got too repetitive.
(d) The books were too big.
10. When did Nola Campbell learn how to make pottery?
(a) At age fifty.
(b) At age thirteen.
(c) At age twenty.
(d) At age thirty.
11. What other business did John Moore run in addition to his general store?
(a) A blacksmith shop.
(b) A flour mill.
(c) A tannery.
(d) A coffee mill.
12. What Christmas gifts did Nola Campbell receive as a child?
(b) New dresses and a coat.
(c) New shoes, fruit, and nuts.
(d) Apples, raisins, and a few pennies.
13. What was the last Foxfire book to be published under the contract with the New York Publisher?
(a) Foxfire 15.
(b) Foxfire 10.
(c) Foxfire 9.
(d) Foxfire 20.
14. What was the name of the general store the Moore family established?
(a) Moore's General Store.
(b) The Fort Hembree store.
(c) The Moore Grocery Store.
(d) The Rabun Gap General Store.
15. What did Captain Irish Bill Moore and his wife Hattie often have to battle?
(a) Competition from other stores.
(b) Roughriders or bandits.
(c) Mice that infested the general store.
(d) Ants that infested the general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remedy was used in the mountains for hiccups?
2. When was the general store operated by Ed and Martha Roane opened?
3. In the section of Foxfire 9 entitled "The General Store," how did the illiterate general store owner keep track of outstanding debts owed to him for items his customers had purchased on credit?
4. How were the topics to be featured in the new series of books from Foxfire Press determined?
5. Who wrote the articles in the Foxfire series?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)