|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much education did Frank Moore receive?
(a) A high-school diploma.
(b) A college degree.
(c) An eighth-grade education.
(d) A fifth-grade education.
2. In making a traditional fan quilt, why did the lines of stitching have to be close together?
(a) To hold the fan appliques onto the quilt squares.
(b) To hold the cotton padding in place.
(c) To look like embroidery.
(d) To outline the fan shape.
3. What cure was used by Annie Henry for a nosebleed?
(a) Letting the nose bleed on a knife and then burying the knife.
(b) Tea made from dandelion greens.
(c) Holding ice on the back of the head.
(d) Holding ice under the nose.
4. What remedy was used in the mountains for constipation?
(a) Butcher's bloom tea.
(b) Chamomile tea.
(d) Castor oil.
5. What was the customary occasion on which to give a friendship quilt to someone in the Appalachian mountains in the 1890s?
(a) On their eighteenth birthday.
(b) At their wedding.
(c) To commemorate the birth of a child.
(d) On their birthday.
6. What were crazy quilts?
(a) Friendship quilts, personalized and presented as a gift.
(b) Quilts made in asymmetrical patterns.
(c) Quilts with both stripes and polka dots.
(d) Quilts stitched in a hurry.
7. Which of the following was not a stitch Aunt Arie Carpenter used in making her quilts?
(a) Chevron stitch.
(b) Princess stitch.
(c) Multiple feather stitch.
(d) Herringbone stitch.
8. When Nola Campbell's sister cut off Nola's toe during their childhood, what did their mother use on the wound?
(a) Apple cider vinegar.
(b) Pine resin, spiderweb, and soot.
(c) Chamomile tea.
(d) Hydrogen peroxide.
9. When did Nola Campbell learn how to make pottery?
(a) At age twenty.
(b) At age fifty.
(c) At age thirteen.
(d) At age thirty.
10. According to Foxfire researchers, what amount of money did most people spend in the Moore general store during the course of a year in the early days of the store's operation?
(a) Less than ten dollars.
(b) Ten to twenty dollars.
(c) One to two hundred dollars.
(d) Fifty to a hundred dollars.
11. What business did Earl Gillespie operate in addition to a general store?
(a) A coffee mill.
(b) A dental office.
(c) A blacksmith shop.
(d) A gristmill.
12. How did the number of accounts held by women at the Moore's general store compare to the number of accounts held by men?
(a) All accounts were held by women.
(b) Most accounts were held by women.
(c) No accounts were held by women.
(d) Few accounts were held by women.
13. How many copies of the Foxfire books have been printed?
(a) Two hundred thousand.
(b) Seven million.
(c) Eighty thousand.
(d) One million.
14. What was another name for the churn dash quilt pattern?
(a) The butter pounder.
(b) The dasher.
(c) The monkey wrench.
(d) The butter maker.
15. What did Roy Roberts, another owner of a general store, sell to the train engineers as they drove through his town?
(d) Socks and shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the second book published by Foxfire Press?
2. How were the topics to be featured in the new series of books from Foxfire Press determined?
3. As a young girl, what did Flora learn to make from honeysuckle vines?
4. Why have reviewers stopped reviewing the new books in the Foxfire series?
5. Which traditional quilt pattern was composed entirely of hexagons?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)