|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michael put the bottle of champagne?
2. What is on the walls of the room in the last scene?
3. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
4. At first, what are Agnes' feelings toward the young poet?
5. What event is happening that day in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play there are intense scenes of drama, but also lighthearted instances of humor. Respond to the following with examples to support your essay:
1) When has humor been used in the play?
2) Why are these situations humorous and are they as humorous to Michael and Agnes as they are to the audience?
3) Why is it important to the author and the audience to break up the dramatic scenes of the play with bursts of humor?
Essay Topic 2
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
Essay Topic 3
The ups and downs of Agnes and Michael's marriage is illustrated throughout the play. Using supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Does the author portray an enduring marriage as something positive or negative?
2) What characteristics are a husband and wife supposed to learn in order to have a successful marriage, according to the play?
3) Is the marriage of Agnes and Michael realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)