|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael ask Agnes about the bedclothes in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Why does Agnes say that she and Michael cannot drink champagne?
3. Who does Agnes and Michael's son seem to be taking after?
4. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
5. What does Michael accuse Agnes of in Act 2, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Michael is portrayed as a man who reforms his life for the love of his wife and family. Analyze his character with supporting examples and answer the following:
1) How has the character of Michael changed from his wedding night to the moving day at the end of the play?
2) Is Michael shown to truly be in love with Agnes throughout the play?
3) How has fatherhood affected Michael's character in relation to his marriage?
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)