|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michael doing when he enters the room in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What position does Michael get into after telling Agnes about what their son was wearing?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, about how much time has passed since the last scene?
4. What happens after Michael leaves in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What do Agnes and Michael muse over at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each act in the play closes with an embrace between Michael and Agnes. This display of repetition is a literary device used by the author. Respond using examples to support your answer.
1) Does the embrace at the end of each scene always come from the same emotion, such as relief, love or compassion?
2) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the relationship of Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the audience of the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are only two characters with a speaking part in the play, but the fourposter bed can be interpreted as a third character. Using examples to support your response, write an essay answering the following:
1) What ways does the fourposter bed resemble a third character on the stage?
2) How does the fourposter bed influence the events in the marriage between Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the giving of the fourposter bed to the newlywed couple as a conclusion of the play?
Essay Topic 3
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)