|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Michael get into after telling Agnes about what their son was wearing?
2. Why is Michael so angry about the bourbon bottle?
3. It is apparent that what event is happening in the room at the end of the play?
4. What is different about the fourposter bed in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What does Agnes ask Michael after she finds out what he said to their son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any two scenes from the play. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the love between Michael and Agnes using supporting examples. Be sure to address the following:
1) How do Agnes and Michael express their love to one another?
2) Has their love matured between these scenes?
3) What influences the confession of their love to each other in each scene?
Essay Topic 2
Each act in the play closes with an embrace between Michael and Agnes. This display of repetition is a literary device used by the author. Respond using examples to support your answer.
1) Does the embrace at the end of each scene always come from the same emotion, such as relief, love or compassion?
2) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the relationship of Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the audience of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The ups and downs of Agnes and Michael's marriage is illustrated throughout the play. Using supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Does the author portray an enduring marriage as something positive or negative?
2) What characteristics are a husband and wife supposed to learn in order to have a successful marriage, according to the play?
3) Is the marriage of Agnes and Michael realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)