|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, what is the only thing that remains in the room from previous scenes?
2. What position does Michael get into after telling Agnes about what their son was wearing?
3. What does Agnes want before becoming a grandmother?
4. How is Agnes and Michael's relationship at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What can Michael not believe that Agnes is doing in Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)