Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what are Agnes' feelings toward the young poet?
2. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
3. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
4. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
5. What does Agnes do with the "God Is Love" pillow when she hears Michael coming back into the room at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play there are intense scenes of drama, but also lighthearted instances of humor. Respond to the following with examples to support your essay:
1) When has humor been used in the play?
2) Why are these situations humorous and are they as humorous to Michael and Agnes as they are to the audience?
3) Why is it important to the author and the audience to break up the dramatic scenes of the play with bursts of humor?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
This section contains 1,799 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)