|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
2. How do Agnes and Michael know of the young poet?
3. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Who does Agnes and Michael's son seem to be taking after?
5. What does Agnes do with the "God Is Love" pillow when she hears Michael coming back into the room at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each act in the play closes with an embrace between Michael and Agnes. This display of repetition is a literary device used by the author. Respond using examples to support your answer.
1) Does the embrace at the end of each scene always come from the same emotion, such as relief, love or compassion?
2) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the relationship of Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the audience of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy has a role in the marriage of Agnes and Michael. It motivates Michael and Agnes to act in certain ways. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of jealousy are found in the play?
2) How have the consequences of the jealous actions of Michael and Agnes affected their marriage?
3) Has the author represented jealousy as a positive or negative force? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)