|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes seem to be feeling in relationship to her daughter?
2. When Agnes sees her husband bewildered at the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does she do?
3. Why does Agnes care about what the young poet does?
4. What does Michael tell his son in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. About what time does Act 2, Scene 2 take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
Essay Topic 2
Michael confesses that Agnes has changed from the princess he married to his closest friend. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) In what ways does Michael treat Agnes as a friend?
2) Does Agnes feel the same way toward Michael?
3) How does this strong friendship influence the marriage between Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 3
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)