|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michael put the bottle of champagne?
2. Agnes says she is leaving the "God Is Love" pillow for who?
3. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
4. What does Michael accuse Agnes of in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Michael say his son was wearing in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes and Michael are portrayed as characters who embody the labels of male and female. Support you answer with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) In what ways does Agnes exemplify femininity?
2) In what ways does Michael exemplify masculinity?
3) What are the positives and negatives associated with femininity and masculinity as presented by the author?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Michael is portrayed as a man who reforms his life for the love of his wife and family. Analyze his character with supporting examples and answer the following:
1) How has the character of Michael changed from his wedding night to the moving day at the end of the play?
2) Is Michael shown to truly be in love with Agnes throughout the play?
3) How has fatherhood affected Michael's character in relation to his marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)