|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what time does Act 2, Scene 2 take place?
2. What does Agnes describe herself as being all her life?
3. What description does Michael compare himself to at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What age are Agnes and Michael in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Michael ask Agnes about the bedclothes in Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes and Michael are portrayed as characters who embody the labels of male and female. Support you answer with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) In what ways does Agnes exemplify femininity?
2) In what ways does Michael exemplify masculinity?
3) What are the positives and negatives associated with femininity and masculinity as presented by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any two scenes from the play. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the love between Michael and Agnes using supporting examples. Be sure to address the following:
1) How do Agnes and Michael express their love to one another?
2) Has their love matured between these scenes?
3) What influences the confession of their love to each other in each scene?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
This section contains 1,739 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)