|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Michael found the bourbon bottle?
2. What is Agnes holding in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What does Michael bring back from the cellar?
4. What type of poetry is the young poet's work?
5. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each act in the play closes with an embrace between Michael and Agnes. This display of repetition is a literary device used by the author. Respond using examples to support your answer.
1) Does the embrace at the end of each scene always come from the same emotion, such as relief, love or compassion?
2) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the relationship of Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the audience of the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)