|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael say no young couple should have to find underneath the sheets?
2. How is Agnes and Michael's relationship at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Why does Agnes say that she and Michael cannot drink champagne?
4. It is apparent that what event is happening in the room at the end of the play?
5. What mood is Agnes in when Michael enters the room in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Agnes goes through many changes throughout the play. Beginning with her wedding night and ending with her gift at the end of the play, analyze Agnes' character by answering the following:
1) How is Agnes represented in her youth compared to her older years?
2) How has motherhood changed Agnes?
3) What ways have Agnes' religious beliefs influenced her decisions in life?
4) Is Agnes' character capable of acting selfishly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Agnes and Michael are portrayed as characters who embody the labels of male and female. Support you answer with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) In what ways does Agnes exemplify femininity?
2) In what ways does Michael exemplify masculinity?
3) What are the positives and negatives associated with femininity and masculinity as presented by the author?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)