|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael say he got a different message and reaction from than Agnes on his wedding night?
2. Where is Agnes in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Where does Michael put the bottle of champagne?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, Agnes is saddened when she thinks about what?
5. What does Agnes ask Michael after she finds out what he said to their son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
Each act in the play closes with an embrace between Michael and Agnes. This display of repetition is a literary device used by the author. Respond using examples to support your answer.
1) Does the embrace at the end of each scene always come from the same emotion, such as relief, love or compassion?
2) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the relationship of Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the audience of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)