Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what are Agnes' feelings toward the young poet?
2. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
3. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
4. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
5. What does Agnes do with the "God Is Love" pillow when she hears Michael coming back into the room at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)