|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes plan to do with the "God Is Love" pillow in the end of the play?
2. What does Agnes want before becoming a grandmother?
3. What is the setting of Act 3, Scene 1?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, Agnes is saddened when she thinks about what?
5. What does Michael accuse Agnes of in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ups and downs of Agnes and Michael's marriage is illustrated throughout the play. Using supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Does the author portray an enduring marriage as something positive or negative?
2) What characteristics are a husband and wife supposed to learn in order to have a successful marriage, according to the play?
3) Is the marriage of Agnes and Michael realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 3
The "God Is Love" pillow is first introduced as a wedding present to Agnes, who leaves it as a gift for the newlywed couple at the end of the play. Using examples to support your answer, compare and contrast the following:
1) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Agnes throughout the play?
2) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Michael throughout the play?
This section contains 1,751 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)