|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what are Agnes' feelings toward the young poet?
2. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
3. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
4. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
5. What does Agnes do with the "God Is Love" pillow when she hears Michael coming back into the room at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy has a role in the marriage of Agnes and Michael. It motivates Michael and Agnes to act in certain ways. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of jealousy are found in the play?
2) How have the consequences of the jealous actions of Michael and Agnes affected their marriage?
3) Has the author represented jealousy as a positive or negative force? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Michael and Agnes leave gifts for the newlywed couple moving in. Michael leaves a gift of a bottle of champagne while Agnes leaves the "God Is Love" pillow. Use examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What do the individual gifts represent to the characters of Michael and Agnes?
2) What message are Michael and Agnes trying to deliver to the newlyweds?
3) What is the significance of the combined gift of the fourposter bed as given by both Michael and Agnes?
This section contains 1,799 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)