|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes do with the "God Is Love" pillow when she hears Michael coming back into the room at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What does Michael accuse Agnes of in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What is inside of the bourbon bottle?
4. What is on the walls of the room in the last scene?
5. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any two scenes from the play. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the love between Michael and Agnes using supporting examples. Be sure to address the following:
1) How do Agnes and Michael express their love to one another?
2) Has their love matured between these scenes?
3) What influences the confession of their love to each other in each scene?
Essay Topic 2
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy has a role in the marriage of Agnes and Michael. It motivates Michael and Agnes to act in certain ways. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of jealousy are found in the play?
2) How have the consequences of the jealous actions of Michael and Agnes affected their marriage?
3) Has the author represented jealousy as a positive or negative force? Why?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)