|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what are Agnes' feelings toward the young poet?
2. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
3. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
4. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
5. What does Agnes do with the "God Is Love" pillow when she hears Michael coming back into the room at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Michael confesses that Agnes has changed from the princess he married to his closest friend. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) In what ways does Michael treat Agnes as a friend?
2) Does Agnes feel the same way toward Michael?
3) How does this strong friendship influence the marriage between Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
This section contains 1,799 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)